Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A little thought about Easter

Author Topic: A little thought about Easter
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plankeye p
Advanced Member
Member # 8254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plankeye p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Caretaker ,
I understand your viewpoint, I just do not agree with it.
I believe it is simple and does not need a long explanation.
I’ll try and explain what I see as the misunderstanding and then we can both go on believing what we choose to believe.

I’ll start with “miqra” or “holy convocation” days.
The seven miqra are:
1. - The first day of Pesach (Passover) Exodus 12:16,
2. - The seventh day of Pesach (Passover)
3. - Shavuot (Pentecost)
4. - Rosh Hashanah
5. - Yom Kippur
6. - The first day of Sukkoth (Tabernacles)
7. - The eighth day of Sukkoth (Last day)

The list above does not include the weekly Sabbath. Why not? Because the weekly Sabbath is not just a holy convocation as are the others. The weekly Sabbath was set apart. You cannot sum the weekly Sabbath up as miqra. However the Passover days are just miqra. They are not Shabbath as the weekly Sabbath is. Basically what i’m getting at is, the Sabbath is a holy convocation day but not all holy convocation days are Sabbath. The word translated Sabbath in Leviticus 23:3 is the same word used in Exodus 20:11. The same word that God blessed and hallowed. That word is not found in either of the Passover verses.

In light of that fact. Please notice Luke 23:56. And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

I realize some would say that the Sabbath that is spoken of in that verse is a holy convocation Passover day and not the seventh day. I just can’t understand why anyone would want to make such a long stretch. Especially in light if the fact that the very next verse Luke 24:1 starts off with “Now on the first day of the week”...

It is just to easy for me to believe that the Preparation day mentioned in Luke 23:54 is in fact the same day that Christ died on(Luke 23:46). Which was followed by the seventh day Sabbath mentioned in verse 56.(Especially since the only two days of the week that ever had names were the sixth and the seventh day. The Sabbath from creation and the Preparation from the Exodus.) Which was then followed by the first day of the week mentioned in 24:1.

I tried seeing the logic in a Wednesday crucifixion. And I will admit the argument is somewhat compelling. Except it takes way to much explaining for something that is so simple when read from the Bible. I mean consecutive verses that tell you what the days of the week were. Why try and explain away something that is so plain? Is it because of Matthew 12:40? I’ll take my chances trying to make that verse harmonize with the rest of the bible concerning this topic before trying to make all the other overwhelming evidence and verses that seem contrary harmonize with it.

The overwhelming evidence:
Is it possible for all these texts to be explained so that they will not contradict each other? If they cannot be harmonized, then Jesus Himself was guilty of compounding the confusion, because He used all of the expressions at different times in speaking of His death and resurrection. In Matthew 12:40 He said, "three days and three nights,” but in Mark 8:31 He said, "after three days.” He referred to the same event in John 2:19 as "in three days,” and on five occasions He said, "the third day.” Matthew 16:21; 17:23; 20:19; Luke 13:32; 24:46.

How can all of these verses harmonize? Inclusive reckoning.
If necessary I could talk more about inclusive reckoning at another time. For now lets just say inclusive reckoning is including any part of the as the whole day. So if I say the day after tomorrow there are three full days. Today,tomorrow and the next day. Although today is almost gone and the third day may not include the whole 24 hour period.

Example:"Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected. Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following.” Luke 13:32, 33.

Peace
p.i.p.
[wave3]

--------------------
i am what "I AM" says i am

Posts: 26 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Job511
Advanced Member
Member # 8154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Job511     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The verses that plankeye posted seem to support my observation of the day of the crusifiction being the first of those three days.

--------------------
The lowly He sets on high, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.
--Job 5:11, NIV

Posts: 28 | From: metro slc | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sha'ul
Advanced Member
Member # 8294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sha'ul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a really short answer. Easter is historically known as a pagan holiday, it never had anything to do with our Messiah's death and resurrection. The 7 feasts of the Lord (Lev.23) are all about Messiah. Passover(Pesach) is about the eve of Yeshua's death. So before we can figure out how it all ties in, we have to remove the junk that was never a part of it to begin with. That's the source of the confusion. Shalom
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my notes:

quote:

Millions of Christians believe that Jesus was crucified on a Friday and rose on a Sunday. Sadly, that misconception denies the one and only proof that Jesus ever gave of His Messiahship!

Mat 12:38-40 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonah: For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Definitions

Lets begin with a few definitions in order to fully understand the text.

Day A day is defined in Genesis 1:4-5 as having two portions, the darkness and then the light. A biblical day runs from around 6pm to 6pm. We come out of the darkness (6pm to 6am) into the light (6am to 6pm). Additionally, the 6am to noon time of the day is considered the morning of the day and from noon to 6pm the evening of the day. To this day, Jews observe a day as beginning in the evening and ending in the evening 24 hours later.

Sabbath is from Friday around 6pm (varies depending on the time of year) and ends the same time on Saturday. The Orthodox observe a 25 hour Sabbath by adding an extra hour to the end as a means of safeguarding themselves from ending the Sabbath rest too early as the timing is based upon the sighting of the moon from Israel.

Sabbath "Sabbath" does not refer to Saturday as many people assume. If you refer to the book of Leviticus, chapter 23, you can see that Sabbath means "Day of Holy Convocation" where no work is to be preformed. The day prior to a Sabbath is referred to as a Day of Preparation. Annual Sabbaths (High Sabbaths) are designated by the date, not the day of the week. In weeks when a Day of Holy Convocation occurs on a Sunday through Friday, there are 2 'Sabbaths', the day of the holiday and the last day of the week.
Here are the 7 Sabbaths of the Lord (one weekly and 6 High):

* The 7th day of the week
* The Feast of Unleavened Bread (day after Passover)
* Shavout (Pentecost)
* Rosh Hashana
* Yom Kippur
* First day of Tabernacles (Sukkot)
* 8th (last) day of Tabernacles

Passover This holiday is observed on the 14th of Nisan. It is the Day of Preparation for the Feast of Unleavened bread, which is 15 Nisan. The Feast of Unleavened bread is a Holy Convocation or Sabbath day (Leviticus 23: 5-7). Exodus 12 tells the story of the Passover and deliverance from Egypt. Seders (dinners) are eaten on both nights and the 14th is the preparation day for the 15th.

The Gospels Account

Now that we have some definitions laid out, lets look at the accounting from the Gospels. If Jesus was truly crucified on a Friday and arose the following Sunday, that would only give us 2 nights and 1 day as opposed to the 3 nights and 3 days that He Himself said that he would be in the earth. For His words to ring true, He would have to arisen sometime Monday evening if this were the case.

On top of this, to truly be three days and three nights, He would have to have arisen at the same time of day that he was laid in the grave.

Matthew 16:21 is very clear that He would be raised the third day. Not after it, but on it.
We know from the gospels that Jesus partook of the Passover seder the night of the first half of the preparation day. (Matthew 26:17, Mark 14:12, Luke 22:18, John 13:29)

Additionally, we are told that Jesus was crucified on the second (daylight) half of the preparation day (Mathew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54 John 19:31, 42).

We know that the Passover is the preparation day for the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
How do we know that this Sabbath reference is to the Feast of Unleavened Bread and not the regular Saturday Sabbath?

Jhn 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and [that] they might be taken away.

We know that that tomb was found empty just after the Sabbath (Matthew 28:6, Mark 16:6, Luke 24:6, John 20:2)

Now lets take a look at the timing of the events of that fateful day.
Matthew 27:1 Jesus is brought to trial in the morning
Matthew 27:45 There is darkness from noon (the 6th hour) until 3pm (the ninth hour)
Matthew 27:46-50 Jesus died at 3pm (the ninth hour)
Matthew 27:57 Joseph of Arimathea comes for the body of Jesus in order to bury him prior to the Sabbath.
Matthew 27:64 The next day (night of the crucifixion) the leaders sealed the tomb for three days.
From there we can count forward.
Wednesday Night - Thursday Night: darkness then light #1
Thursday Night - Friday Night: darkness then light #2
Friday Night - Saturday Night: darkness then light #3

For Jesus to have spent exactly 3 days and three nights in the earth, He had to be resurrected at the same time that he was entombed - in this case, just before sunset on Saturday as He was laid in the tomb just prior to the beginning of the Holy Day. If He didn't then His words don't hold true!

Objections addressed

Now - the two most common questions that arise out of this is the issue of Mary and Mary Magdaline finding the tomb empty after the Sabbath and the men walking to Emmaus on the first day of the week.

Keeping in mind the biblical timing of a 'day', the first day of the week would begin at sundown on Saturday and run until sundown on Sunday.

Mary and Mary Magdaline came to the tomb to anoint the body with oils - what they found was an empty tomb. An angel announced to them that Christ had risen. What is important to note here is the tense of the Greek word used for rise - egeiro indicating third party passive, perfect (aorist) tense. (Matt 28:7, Mark 16:6, Luke 24:6). The women arrived after the fact, not during the event itself.

In Luke 24:21, we see an accounting of two men walking to Emmaus lamenting on the events that had transpired.
Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

Now, this event is written to have taken place on the first day of the week. No dispute there. What we DO need to question however; is what they are referring to as the things that were done.
A cursory review of Matthew 27:61-66 shows us the completion of these "things" to be completed. "These things" included all the events pertaining to the resurrection — the seizing of Christ, delivering Him to be tried, the actual crucifixion, and, finally the setting of the seal and the watch over the tomb the following day, or Thursday. Sunday being the 3rd day from Thursday further supports the fact that Christ was not crucified on a Friday.

The Origins of "Easter"

Many people are surprised to learn the pagan origins of Easter. Yes, it is referenced in the Bible - Acts 12:4 (KJV). Easter has been observed as a pagan holiday for hundreds of years before the birth, death and resurrection of Christ.
This holiday is marked as the first Sunday after the first full moon occurs on or after March 21st. The reasoning for the timing is the vernal equinox - when the day and night are exactly the same amount of time.

This holiday commemorates Astarte and her son, Tammuz. On this date, the ancient pagans would dye and hide eggs as a symbol of Astarte's fertility. Other names for this fertility goddess include Ashterah, Esther, Aurora and Eostre. The symbol of the latter was the hare - 'Estore's hare' which evolved in name to become the 'Easter bunny'.

The Church's Adoption of Easter

After the death of the apostles, the church spread and grew at an amazing rate. The problem was that the written word was not only expensive to copy for people but many were illiterate and could not read it if they had access to a copy. Scriptural interpretation was left to the elders of the church.

People were following different traditions during this time. The early Jewish believers were following the traditions of the feasts and Sabbath worship, while the newly converted gentile believers were following their pagan traditions and holidays, including Sunday worship.

The Early Church Fathers (ECF) wanted clarity and continuity in Christianity. They took the issue of the differing observances to their political leader of the day, Constantine. Constantine agreed that they should chose to distance themselves from the Jewish believers and their traditions in lieu of the pagans and their traditions. This became known as Constantine's Sunday Edict. He declared Sunday as the official day of worship and enacted it on March 7th, 321ad.

People had been observing the crucifixion up until this point on the day of Passover, this date varying annually due to the differences between the Biblical calendar and the Roman one. For clarity and continuity, Constantine then declared at the Council of Nicene in 325ad that Easter will now be celebrated on the holiday of Estarte, the first Sunday following the vernal equinox, always to be between March 22 and April 25th. This was known as his Easter Edict.

Now here is the irony....

The Lord is very clear on worshipping gods other than Him. He is very clear about worshipping a "queen" of Heaven (Jeremiah 44).
So why did the early Roman Church declare Easter Sunday one of the holiest days of the year, yet name it after a pagan fertility goddess?

Bottom Line

I am not saying that Sunday worship or Easter observance is wrong, all I have attempted to do here is give the scriptural accounting of the events up to and after the death of Jesus to His resurrection and the history of the Church traditions.

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day [alike]. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plankeye p
Advanced Member
Member # 8254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plankeye p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Caretaker, Job511,
Just have a quick comment on the quote Caretaker posted. It does not take that many words to explain what happened between Jesus' last breath on the cross and His resurrection on the third day.

We can follow the bible narrative and see that the explanation given above does not agree with scripture.

Matt 27:50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up His spirit.

Matt 27:57 ...Now when evening had come... (this is later on that same day. Day #1)

Matt 27:59,60 When Joseph had taken the body he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his new tomb... (still day #1)

Matt 27:62 On the next day which followed the Day of Preparation the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate. (Day #2)

Matt 27:64 "Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day"... (still day #2)

Matt 28:1 Now after the Sabbath as the first day of the week began to dawn Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb. (day #3)

Matt 28:5,6 ..."Do not be afraid , for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here for He is risen... (day #3)

That is the death and resurrection from scripture. To be clear, Jesus rose on the first day of the week, (Sunday) which means that day #2 was the seventh day Sabbath (Saturday) and day #1 was the actual Preparation Day (Friday).

I realize that Jesus did not spend 72 hours in the grave but in Jewish culture any part of a day is reckoned a full day.

Blessings,
p.i.p.

[wave3] [wave3]

--------------------
i am what "I AM" says i am

Posts: 26 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Job511
Advanced Member
Member # 8154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Job511     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting information there.

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: metro slc | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted several years back by Brother Art:

quote:

Crucifixion and Resurrection
of Jesus Christ(Messiah Yeshua) -the "Lamb" and the "wavesheaf"

In the early days of the Anti-Nicene fathers(those who had actually had contact with and learned under the original apostles of Jesus(Yeshua the Messiah) a controversy raged between them and the church at Rome. This controversy centered around the dispute of the day of crucifixion. The church at Rome(later to become the Catholic church) desired to establish Friday as the date of crucifixion and Sunday as the day of resurrection. The Anti-Nicene(against the Nicene creed of c.325AD) fathers insisted the crucifixion happened on Nissan 14, the very day of the sacrifice of the Passover lamb(Jesus being the Lamb of God). Thus the Anti--Nicene fathers were called the "Quartradecimans"(meaning "fourteen").
They were eventually killed off, so Rome had her way for the time. And as we know the traditional Friday crucifixion-Sunday resurrection has been accepted widely by mainstream Christianity. Hence the Good Friday-Easter Sunday.
Why did the early church fathers contend over this? Is it important? Let us examine the matter with Scripture.
Jesus said he would provide the sign of Jonah and"so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth(Matt 12:40)."
Jonah, we see was indeed in the belly of the fish three days and three nights(Jon 1:17). See also Matt 16:21, 17:23, 20:19, Mark 8:31, 9:31, 10:34, Luke 9:22, 11:30, 18:33 and John 2:19.

This is speaking of a full three days and three nights in the grave, and a Friday-Sunday scenario simply will not fit.
The apostle Paul said "-He rose again the third day according to Scriptures(1 Cor 15:3-4).

In order for His word to be perfectly fulfilled there must be a full three days and three nights(72 hours).
The time of death can be established at 3:00 PM(ninth hour-Hebrew reckoning) by Matt 27:45-50. Our 6 am to noon would be counted in the Hebrew time period as the first six hours of the "Day" period, so three hours past noon(6+3=9) would be about the ninth hour(depending on the exact time of sunrise).
According to the Hebrew calendar in the year Jesus was crucified (A.D.31), the 14th day of Nissan(Passover day)was Wednesday, April 25.
The annual Sabbath(first High Holy day) of unleavened bread was Thursday. For this reason Joseph of Arimathia hurried to place the body of Jesus in the tomb before dark on Wednesday(Nissan 14-Passover sacrifice day-midweek). This would mean He would rise at 3PM Saturday Apr 28, exactly 72 hours(three full days and three full nights).
There is mention in Mark 15:25 that He was crucified "in the third hour"(9am), when He was taken to be crucified, and the "ninth hour"(3PM) when He gave up His spirit(died-verses 34-37). Is the time significant? Yes, because about three PM would be the very time the priests of the temple were sacrificing the Passover Lamb, to prepare it for the evening meal.
We find plainly in John 19:14 that this "was the preparation day for the Passover". You can see in verse 31 that this was not a normal weekly Sabbath but a special "high" holy day(annually celebrated). This "High Sabbath" was the first day of unleavened bread, the first of seven annual special holy days of Leviticus and Exodus. Any who have kept this day or keep it today are quite familiar with the "high" Sabbath as an annual holy day and not the weekly Sabbath(seventh) day. These seven annual "high" Sabbath holy days days might begin on any day of the week from year to year.
The "preparation day" is the day which precedes(comes before) the Holy day, in this instance putting all leavened(symbolic of sin) products out of the household of believers. This was a physical act to remind one to put sin out of their life.
The only significance to a Friday would be that it is the eve of Sabbath(Saturday-seventh day). Nothing involving unusual preparation.
Now, we must reason carefully as a Hebrew of that day would have, using a Hebrew mindset.
The Hebrew day begins at SUNDOWN.
The first part of the Hebrew day is the 12 hour NIGHT period(approx 6PM to 6AM).
The last part of the Hebrew day is the 12 hour DAY period(approx 6AM to 6PM).
Please keep this firmly in mind.

The first High Sabbath being Thursday would make the "wavesheaf offering" occur on SUNDAY, midweek of the feast of unleavened bread, which would week would be concluded on the following Wednesday(second annual High holy day). All of this is connected and important to fulfill prophecy and magnify God's plans.
The fourteenth day of the first month is always the Passover and in the fifteenth day of this month is the first "High" holy day, the first day of the feast of unleavened bread(Leviticus & Numbers 28:16-17).
Now, VERY IMPORTANT, remembering the Hebrew day ends at SUNDOWN, let us examine the clear evidence of the first verse of Matt 28:
(NKJ) "Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn(approaching SUNDOWN SATURDAY), Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb". We see in verse 6 He had already risen.
Therefore, at 6Pm Saturday Jesus had ALREADY RISEN.
Keep firmly in mind the Hebrew Sunday(first day of the week) begins at sundown Saturday.
Jesus said also in John 2:19 " Destroy this temple(His body) and in three days I will raise it up." Three days is 72 hours, so a resurrection of about 3 Pm Saturday would be indicated.
One can count back from Saturday three full day and three full night periods and you arrive at a Wednesday crucifixion. If one even disputes the year, by counting backwards three days and three nights and coming to a Wednesday crucifixion, you would determine it had to fall on Nissan 14 therefore even confirming the year of His death and resurrection.
Deut 21:23 mandated the removal of His body off the tree before sundown Wednesday, and they had to place His body in the tomb before sundown as well, because such work was prohibited on the High Sabbath beginning at sundown(Lev 23:7).
This claiming of the body and placing it in the tomb would have likely put the actual burial time at about 5 or 6 PM Wednesday, a MIDWEEK crucifixion. We find in Luke 16:1 that "when the Sabbath was past" they found the tomb empty, meaning the tomb was found to be empty after sundown Saturday. Other verses which use the Greek word "opse" are incorrectly rendered to read "after the Sabbath was over", because "opse" means late in the day, toward the end of the day. It does not mean after the day is completed.
To find the tomb empty early Sunday(that is after sundown Saturday) would indicate He came out around 5 or 6 PM Saturday.
Let us examine the sequence of events and some fulfillments of prophecy concerning Messiah:
Nissan 9(Friday). Six days before Passover(crucifixion) Jesus came to Bethany(John 12:1).
Nissan 10(Saturday-weekly Sabbath)Jesus made the triumphal entryfrom Bethany/Mt. Olivet into Jerusalem mounted on a donkey(John 12:12-15) fulfilling Zech 9:9. This being the Sabbath is confirmed as it was a "sabbath's day journey(Act 1:12).Questioned and returned to Bethany.

Nissan 11(Sunday)Came from Bethany again, spoke to the fig tree(symbolic of Judah) and purged the temple(Mark 11:12-16). Return to Bethany(verse 19).
Nissan 12(Monday) return to Jerusalem(Mark 11:20-27). Parables. Conspiracy with Judas(Luke 22:1-6, resulting in the fulfillment of Zech 11:12 of "thirty pieces of silver"(Matt 26:14-15). TWO DAYS

before Passover(Matt 26:1-5).
Nissan 13(Tuesday) Passover meal prepared(Matt 26:19). Notice in verses 17-20 there appears to be a statement that the first day of the feast of unleavened bread had started. This almost certainly should be rendered "first day at the feast" because it is impossible to begin the actual first (High Sabbath holy day) day of the feast UNTIL the Passover lamb meal is eaten on Nissan 14.
Nissan 14(Wednesday-Passover & Preparation day for first day of unleavened bread):After 6 Pm(which began Passover day) ate the Lord's supper with His disciples(Matt 26:20). Sundown of Tuesday evening began the day of Passover as counted in the Hebrew day(Mark 14:12-17) Went to pray in garden of Gethsemane, very late(mark 14:37) when disciples were asleep.
There Judas and the great multitude laid hands on Him and took him away(Mark 14:37-46). The interrogations went through the balance of the night until morning until probably about sunrise Wednesday morning(Mark 15:1). This was the preparation day for the High Sabbath(John 19:31).
This Wednesday crucifixion happened midweek, symbolic of the week of Dan 9:27(midweek cut off), with the week divided in half, symbolic of the two part ministry of Messiah(two 3 ½ year periods-one past and one to come).
The resurrection was recognized and proclaimed on SUNDAY as Sunday began(after sundown Saturday). This corresponds to the "wavesheaf offering" happening on the very same day(middle of the seven days of unleavened bread).
This seven days of unleavened bread(with Messiah the "wavesheaf offering) are also symbolic of the "week" of Daniel 9:27 consisting of seven years ministry, again divided in half by the "wavesheaf offering"(two separate 3 ½ years ministry, one past one ahead called the coming of the Lord and other terms). The unleavened bread represents instruction to sinners(You and I). These two ministries are also represented in the feeding of the two multitudes. The leftover baskets of twelve in the first feeding represents the 12 apostles. The leftover baskets of five in the second feeding represents the seven churches of Rev 2 & 3(seven candlesticks of Zech 4).
The two spiritual covenants Messiah made with mankind are represented counting 49 days(seven weeks of seven) from this "wavesheaf Sunday"(Lev 23:15) to the next High holy day(Shavuot/Pentecost/firstfruits/feast of weeks). Sound familiar? These days represent the "seven weeks" remaining of Dan 9. These represent 49 years which started counting in 1948 when Judea was reestablished. The two leavened wave (firstfruits of the Lord) represent the two separate groups(Old and New) of Covenant keepers, who shall stand in the firstfruits/saints/inheritors resurrection at the last of the seven trumpets of Rev.

A more detailed account of the activities may be found in the book "Sabbath Rest" by Michael Detwiler. The chapter "The Last Week" is an excellent detailed study in a Hebrew perspective and his book also contains much of the above account and agrees with the Wednesday crucifixion and Saturday(Sabbath) resurrection.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Job511
Advanced Member
Member # 8154

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Job511     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Correlations between science and the bible, I just read Caretaker quote the Gospel of Matthew concerning the Resurrection.

I have observed over the years, by there being a Good Friday and Easter being on a Sunday, that when we say Jesus Christ rose from the grave on the third day, then we must be counting the day of the Crusifiction as the first day.

Just a little observation.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement