Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Correlations between science and the bible

Author Topic: Correlations between science and the bible
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First let me just say that my faith as well is based solely on the resurrection of Christ and His opportunity provided through which we are filled with His Spirit and given back our sight into this word which those still bllind call foolishness. The word is clear that flesh and blood cannot reveal the truth of the Son of God, only our Father who is in heaven. However I also believe that this topic is valuable in todays post-modernist era to cause the skeptics to think.

To show forth the varacity of the Holy Scriptures through where they line up with those truths Science has unveiled is a useful tool. It would do well for more to be equipped with this information especially in the thorough indoctrination against there being a God that one might recieve in many of todays Universities. We live in an intellectual age where many people are only motivated only by things that intellectualism can support. They call it "reason" and somehow think it is opposed to faith, but it is in reality not opposed to faith and not reasonable in many areas. The Lord God has declared His handiwork in the things that are made, even His power and eternal Godhead. The heavens declare His handiwork. The Greek word for faith, pistis, speaks of tangibilities not the ethereal. It speaks of something that one can trust in, rtely on and cleave to. Ours is a faith based on real persons, places and events which can be confirmed and have been witnessed and is not just some wishful hope or mere mental ascent.

If Christ be risen we are indeed most fortunate and if not our faith is in vain, but He has risen, and so we have been joined to the one stick in the hand of Messiah (the natural branch of the house of Judah, that which was broken off and sown in among the gentiles of the house of Israel, and the wild olive branch who are the gentiles of faith) and been made one new man in Christ Jesus.

Having said that let me share a bit of the Scripture which could not have been proven by science until recent times which praise be to God has been made clear in our time.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Think of the elements involved in this statement. It includes origins, force, time, space, and matter, all of which are of major concern to scientists everywhere. It speaks of process, cause and effect, source, motion, productitvity and so on. It impies a plan and order as to the why and the how. These are all scientific concerns are they not?

After 300 years of the rationalists and naturalists grabbing hold of the ancient Greek notion of an eternal universe it declares something only recently discovered and proven scientifically. The Universe had a "beginning" (from Hubble in 1928 to Panzias in the 60's).

Next (proclaimed as if out of the mouth of an outside observer) God said, "Let there be light and there was Light. So from this we see an ancient declaration that all the stuff of the universe is based in some form of radiation and sound wave (and He said). Modern scientists (only in our time) have proven this to be the most plausible explanation for the formation of energy/matter that we now experience. There is a universal hum that exists everywhere we can discern with our instrumentation. Johann Kepler first postulated it calling it the music of the spheres. He postulated (later being confirmed) that all objects that spin and or vibrate produce waves though the sound of which is below the normal threshhold of our hearing (even atoms vibrate).

Secondly, there was in fact a Light that existed before there were stars (a question that caused many 100 years ago to doubt the Bible's record). Today we call it dark radiation, but we believe it is the lingering reflection of the original sudden burst of a type of light. The evidence for this is found again everywhere we can detect and it become visible to our instriments at 3 degrees Kelvin. Michael Turner of Fermi Observatory has done the math and determined the alleged "big bang" suddenly generated all the energy/matter we now can know, into existence in about a 10th of a second. To man, whose coginition tales a 3rd of a second this would be understood as instantaneous.

Just to add to the mix...

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Spreadingthegoodword.

For years now I have been under the belief that as time goes on, we will come to realize that science and God will finally meet – and that our very science will prove the existence of God.

It is ironic that you posted this, as just yesterday I was having a conversation with an atheist, regarding my afore mentioned statement.

All the time we are coming closer and closer to the grand unification point where we, and by we I am referring to the entire human race, must admit that God is existent and that all of our science operate within the realms of his divine plan.

If God created the entire universe, then it stands to reason that all laws of physics and science operate within his will and his provision.

Every new discovery in science that we make is simply a new discovery on an aspect of God, in my opinion.

Now, please don’t get this confused with man-made opinion – such as the theory of evolution, which is considered as truth but has no proof.

Please let me give two of my favorite examples:

1. Science has now confirmed that all physical matter is comprised of light and sound – ergo, energy. Their new belief, and one that’s gaining popularity, is that in the beginning a sound was all there was and from that sound emerged light, which combined together created the universe as we know it. That being said, we as Christians know that God spoke the world into existence. God was the original sound that created everything.

2. We also know from the bible that in the beginning was Adam and Eve – our ancient mother and father who created our entire race. Now through mitochondrial DNA we can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that all human beings originated from one woman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve unfortunantly mitochondrial DNA can’t trace the male genetic code, only the female. But once again, science has proven what we Christians have known all along.

Like Carol and others have said, we must have faith in God, which is very true.

We know these things to be true because we do have faith and don’t need proof. But, sometimes science goes ahead and provides proof, however unwittingly, that our faith has basis in reality and that slowly, but surly, our faith is being proven as correct.

Unfortunately science does not have faith.

God-bless

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Spreadingtheword!

Remember God's existence is a matter of faith. Whether you can prove it or not wouldn't matter for the bible declares the searcher must first believe otherwise it be like looking for gravity, space, love etc.. You know its there but it takes upward faith. The great faith chapter of the bible is Hebrews 11. Likewise when an atheist declares there is no God and everything ends at the grave. He has determined to believe what he thinks whether there is proof of a Supreme Being. It is like the theory of evolution there are so many holes in that but people teach it to be a fact even though it has not been proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

(Heb 11:1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

(Heb 11:2) For by it the elders obtained a good report.

(Heb 11:3) Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

(Heb 11:4) By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

(Heb 11:5) By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

(Heb 11:6) But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

(Heb 11:7) By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

(Heb 11:8) By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

(Heb 11:9) By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

(Heb 11:10) For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

(Heb 11:11) Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

(Heb 11:12) Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

(Heb 11:13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

(Heb 11:14) For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.

(Heb 11:15) And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.

(Heb 11:16) But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

(Heb 11:17) By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

(Heb 11:18) Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

(Heb 11:19) Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

(Heb 11:20) By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.

(Heb 11:21) By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.

(Heb 11:22) By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.

(Heb 11:23) By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.

(Heb 11:24) By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;

(Heb 11:25) Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

(Heb 11:26) Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

(Heb 11:27) By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.

(Heb 11:28) Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

(Heb 11:29) By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

(Heb 11:30) By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.

(Heb 11:31) By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

(Heb 11:32) And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

(Heb 11:33) Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

(Heb 11:34) Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

(Heb 11:35) Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

(Heb 11:36) And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

(Heb 11:37) They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

(Heb 11:38) (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

(Heb 11:39) And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

(Heb 11:40) God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Privileged Planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnWyPIzTOTw&feature=related

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My faith is based upon the resurrection, for it is the empty tomb, which is the pivotal point differentiating the Christian from all other religions, and establishes the credibility of the Word of God.

1) The resurrection was foretold by Jesus Christ. Matthew writes, “From that time Jesus Christ began to show His disciples that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and raised up on the third day”(Matt. 16:21) Though his followers did not understand what He was telling them at the time, they remembered and recorded His words.

2) The resurrection is the only reasonable explanation for the empty tomb. If Jesus had been only wounded he could not have removed the stone or gotten past the soldiers, likewise his disciples could not have gotten by either. His enemies would not have taken the body for it would have only encouraged belief in the resurrection.

3) The resurrection is the only reasonable explanation for the appearances of Jesus to His disciples. There were at least ten different occasions, and even eating and allowing them to touch him.

4) The resurrection is the only reason for the beginning of the Christian church. This was the foundation upon which the church was founded, and the primary subject of the first sermons.

5) The resurrection is the only reasonable explanation for the transformed lives of the disciples. They deserted Jesus during His trial and crucifixion. They remained in hiding, and it was only after the resurrection that they emerged. These same sheep hiding in the darkness emerged with power and boldness, in the very presence of their enemies, to turn the world upside down. Where once they had cowered in fear and confusion, and Peter had made his denial three times, they now endured horrid persecution and death, with faith unshaken. The transformation in the life of Paul, can only be reasonably explained by the resurrection. For he was the lead persecutor of the early church. After meeting the resurrected Lord upon the Damascus road, Paul was transformed, and he went forth boldly proclaiming the faith, even unto a martyr’s death.

6) Lastly I offer into evidence the transforming power of the resurrection, in the lives of countless millions through the centuries, who have received Christ. Each of us gives evidence in our testimony to the resurrection power of Jesus of Nazareth, to break the bonds of sin, and produce peace and righteousness in our lives.

If you truly search for truth, then turn from the secular academia and seek the Way, the Truth, and the Life, the Lord Jesus Christ.

The ONLY Good Word is the Word of God and God the Word manifest in the flesh:

John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spreadingthegoodword
Member # 8271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spreadingthegoodword     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to scientifically prove god's existence. I recently came across a free book that is attempting to do the same and I was wondering if there was any truth to what was being said in the book.

www.ofgrandeur.com

Is it foolish to try to prove God's existence scientifically?

Posts: 2 | From: beverly hills | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement