Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Can a christian be demon controlled

Author Topic: Can a christian be demon controlled
BeNotAfraid
Community Member
Member # 8269

Icon 16 posted      Profile for BeNotAfraid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~I know for a fact that Christians can be tormented by the evil one who I will not grace by calling it anything but evil from personal experience.

What it did was make me become born again even tho I was a Christian because it shook the scales off my eyes.

I remember what God said " Because you were neither hot nor cold I will spew you from my mouth."

The coldest place in all imagination is on the other side of Gods love. I would not wish that on any one!

So as of August 20th 2010 I am BORN AGAIN! Hallelulia! I praise the Holy name of my Father in Heaven!
Belinda

--------------------
Genesis: 12-3 I will bless them that bless you!" Jesus loves YOU!

Posts: 9 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The phrase "possessed with a devil" translates back to the Greek word daimonizomai, which means to have a demon or to be vexed, or tormented, by one. Demons do not own people - there is no scriptural evidence for demons ever owning anyone. Even unbelievers are not owned by demons.

Christians can be vexed (possessed) by demons.

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren." And he said, "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." He said, "I tell you, Peter, the **** will not crow this day, until you three times deny that you know me." (Luke 22:31-34)

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me." (2 Cor. 12:7)

Acts 5:3 describes how Satan filled Ananias' heart with the decision to lie to the Holy Ghost about the proceeds of a real estate sale.

“In meekness, instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.” (2 Timothy 2:25,26)

WHAT ABOUT DEMONS IN CHRISTIANS?
http://hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com/what-about-demons-in-christians

SATAN EXPOSED DELIVERANCE MINISTRY
http://www.satanexposed.org/deliverance-topics/can-christians-have-demons/

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can a Christian be demon controlled?

Yes.

Not the totally insane, foaming at the mouth, shrieking kind of demon, but yes demons are very active in our lives trying to cause trouble.

Christians can be plagued (possessed) by spirits of rage, hatred, lust, greed, fear, doubt, pride, and so on. Demons can nag us with negative thoughts and feelings, temptations, accusations, addictions, problems, and more.

This is why we are told to wear the armor of God, which includes the Word of God. We should not take it for granted that we are protected from demons.

This is also why spiritual warfare and deliverance are a real and valid ministry. To cast a demon out of someone who refuses to accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior does no lasting good - the demon will return.

Matthew 12
43 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none.
44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.
45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”

Spiritual warfare and deliverance are for believers who are plagued by demons. Demons are not going to be nice and leave on their own - they have to be cast out.

Great Bible Study.com specializes in spiritual warfare and has some really good teaching on this subject.

http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/christian_demon.php

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can a Christian be demon possed?

No

If a Christian has truly by faith and deeds yielded its being over to the Holy Spirit, then a Christian can not be demon possed. However the faithful is prime target for the firey darts of the Evil One and his thugs a.k.a demons. In order not to be snared in a trap, you must be well prepared in the word of God. Psalms 119:11 Hide put to memory the word of the Lord so you will not sin. Any person demon possed in the bible were non-believers in Jesus. Apostle James declares that because of our faith it must motivate us to do God's will which is be prepared with gospel of salvation. There are those who nominally call themselves Christians but deny the power of His lordship and his deity. That I would called New Age Christianity.

(Eph 6:10) Finally, my brothers, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.

(Eph 6:11) Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

(Eph 6:12) For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

(Eph 6:13) Therefore take to yourselves the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

(Eph 6:14) Therefore stand, having your loins girded about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness

(Eph 6:15) and your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

(Eph 6:16) Above all, take the shield of faith, with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

(Eph 6:17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God,

(Eph 6:18) praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching to this very thing with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

(Eph 6:19) And pray for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel,

(Eph 6:20) for which I am an ambassador in bonds; so that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

(Eph 6:21) But, so that you also may know my affairs and how I do, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, shall make known to you all things,

(Eph 6:22) whom I have sent to you for the same purpose, that you might know our affairs and that he might comfort your hearts.

(Eph 6:23) Peace to the brothers, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

(Eph 6:24) Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-demon-possessed.html

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: "Can a Christian be demon possessed?"

Answer: The Bible does not explicitly state whether a Christian can be possessed by a demon. However, since a Christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19), it would seem unlikely that the Holy Spirit would allow a demon to possess the same person He is indwelling. This is sometimes a controversial issue; however, we strongly hold to the belief that a Christian cannot be possessed by a demon. We believe there is a distinct difference between being possessed by a demon and being oppressed or influenced by a demon. Demon possession involves a demon having direct control over the thoughts and/or actions of a person (Luke 4:33-35; 8:27-33; Matthew 17:14-18). Demon oppression or influence involves a demon or demons attacking a person spiritually and/or encouraging him/her into sinful behavior (1 Peter 5:8-9; James 4:7). Notice that in all the New Testament passages dealing with spiritual warfare, we are never told to cast a demon out of a believer (Ephesians 6:10-18). Believers are told to resist the devil (1 Peter 5:8-9; James 4:7), not to cast him out.

It is unthinkable that God would allow one of His children, whom He purchased with the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:18-19) and made into a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), to be possessed and controlled by a demon. Yes, as believers, we wage war with Satan and his demons, but not from within ourselves. The apostle John declares, “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). Who is the One in us? The Holy Spirit. Who is the one in the world? Satan and his demons. Therefore, the believer has overcome the world of demons, and the case for demon possession of a believer cannot be made scripturally.

Recommended Resource: Angels: Elect & Evil by C. Fred Dickason.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1 Corinthians, Paul tells the members of the church there to declare a rebuke against a certain brother who had fallen into a grievous form of adultury. He commands them to no longer allow him to take communion with them and he wants them to give his body over to Satan so that his soul will be saved. Apparently he repented and in 2 Corinthians Paul tells them to restore fellowship with this one. Now apparently the Lord was willing to let Satan have at this mans body, to torment him and even hurt him if necessary, but His soul was saved. I have no doubt that if he had not repented the Lord would have let Satan as much as kill him in the flesh.

Now my question is this. Is it possible for a genuinely saved person to be in utter bongdage to malevolent spirits? Is it possible for a genuinely saved child of God to be controlled by demons in this world?

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement