Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » - Road Signs -

Author Topic: - Road Signs -
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to both!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that there are many Church people who are not saved, just there are people who are saved who don't even go to Church. Works are a product of salvation but they do not save us. Sometimes people get saved at the end of life where they ability to work for Christ is diminished. Others are saved young and work all their lives for Christ.
I think there are alot of Christians like me, that have different stages of life, times when they work for Christ, and times when they are so busy with life they neglect what is important. We all need to remind ourselves that the time for works is now because who knows when we will be caught up to God and our time for works is over.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well put Carol...

We live in a day when millions think because they have walked an aisle and said a prayer they are saved and on their way to an eternity with Christ.

But the truth is, unless there is an ongoing transformation in the life of the individual, Christ is not being form in the individual.

Never let us forget to warn people that one day many Church going people will hear these words…..

13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two modes of representation which run through the Bible, apparently at variance with each other. According to the one, the plan of salvation is represented as simple. Believe and be saved, touch and be healed, look and be made whole.

According to the other, salvation is represented to be very difficult. We must strive to enter in at the straight gate. We must work out our salvation. We must run as in a race where the prize is our life. We must fight the good fight. Many who seek shall not enter in. Even the righteous are scarcely saved.

Both these modes of representation are of course correct. They refer to different things. The former relates to the meritorious and efficient cause of salvation. We have not to work out a righteousness of our own, nor are we to attempt the work of regeneration or sanctification in our own strength. The whole work of meriting salvation has been done for us. We have nothing to do but to accept the righteousness which is offered to us, to trust in what Christ has done.

So, too, with regard to sanctification. It is the work of God. We are renewed by the Spirit after His image. It is not a natural process carried on by natural laws, but by the power of God, attending the use of the appropriate and appointed means. In one sense we are the passive recipients of salvation.

On the other hand, however, the difficulty of bringing our hearts to a simple, constant and entire reliance on Christ, and the difficulty of avoiding the grieving and resisting the Holy Ghost, is unspeakably great. So that it is hard to be saved.

The Bible says expressly that no drunkard, or unclean person, or covetous man, no one who loves the creature more than the Creator, no one that is carnally-minded, no one who is not converted and made as a little child, can enter the kingdom of God. To these and other forms of destructive evil we are impelled,

1. By the corruption of our own nature.
2. By the allurements of the world.
3. By the influence of evil companions.
4. By the temptations of Satan.

These are formidable enemies, not to be overcome without effort.

Theologia

What Does It Mean To Be Christlike?
http://thechristianbbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007029#000000

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
only those who are striving to enter will be in eternity with Christ.
-----------------

I respectfully disagree with that statement. We can not strife our way to Heaven. There will be people in Heaven with out works or works done for the wrong reason. The Bible says that Christians will be judged at the judgment seat of Christ, where our works will be tested. Sadly, there will be those who did very few works for Christ and those who did works only for the glory they got on earth. The works burned up in the fire will bring no reward but the Christian is still saved or they would not be in Heaven.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen....but remember this "faith without obedience is dead"....there are no suggestion in Yahweh's word...they are commands!

there will be no causal followers of Christ in eternity....only those who are striving to enter will be in eternity with Christ.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN!

-

Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Thank you, Abednego. This is a good way to explain faith.
betty

--------------------

Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Corinthians 5:7, “We walk by faith, not by sight”
Romans 10:13, “Whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved”

Two men who were driving to a little town they had never been to before. One said, “I like to see where I am going.” This faith you Christians talk about is unreasonable and ridiculous. As they approached the fork on the rural road they were traveling, they feared they were lost. There were no gas stations or even houses around to ask for a clarification in directions. As they got closer to the fork in the road they saw an old, weathered sign pointing to the right, giving the name of the town they were looking for. The sign indicated the town they were looking for was one mile down the road. The Christian said to the man riding with him, what should we do? The unsaved passenger said, follow the sign. The Christian responded, but wouldn’t that be walking by faith, just what you criticized Christians for doing? No! The man exclaimed, because the sign clearly says the town is just one mile down the road to the right. You’re right, said the Christian, but the Bible is just like that sign, and in the Bible we read about the way to Heaven. We can’t see Heaven any more than you can see the town from this fork in the road. Our faith in the Bible and what it says about how to get to Heaven is just like your faith in the road sign. We take the testimony of that which we read in regard to that which is invisible.

Closing thoughts:

Maybe you’re reading this and you’re at a fork in the road of your life? You know you must move forward, but you can’t see ten feet ahead. You want to believe in heaven and how to get there as the Bible says, but you’re uncertain because of what you have read or what your friends have told you. Just like the road sign that said there was a town one mile down the road that couldn’t be seen, but nevertheless, it was there. Likewise, there most certainly is a heaven and a hell, which cannot be seen either. Your only guidebook to heaven is the Bible; God’s breathed and inspired Word. Within its pages God has laid out very clear and concise that if you want to go to heaven it’s only through the shed blood of His Son, Jesus Christ. You must understand that God makes the rules for entrance into Heaven and not the rules made by man! God required a sinless sacrifice and His only Son, Jesus was willing to become that sacrifice for you, for me and for the whole world (John 3:16).

You see, He is the only One who has ever lived a perfect and sinless life, and through His sacrificial death on the cross, He satisfied the demands of a Holy and Righteousness God. Jesus said Himself in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 10:9 tell us about a door, “I (Jesus speaking) am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.” My friend, a multitulde of people acknowledge certain facts about Jesus Christ are true and maybe you’re one of them. Faith isn’t just believing that Jesus Christ can save; it’s asking Him to do it. It’s like receiving a gift for your birthday; you have to reach out to personally accept God’s remedy for your sin. It is entrusting the destiny of your soul to Him for eternity. It is saying, “Save me, Lord Jesus. I believe that You can and will.” The question that remains, “Have you accepted God’s gift for eternal life?”

Man's ways lead to a hopeless end; God's way leads to an endless hope.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement