Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Blood Of Christ

Author Topic: The Blood Of Christ
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Blood Of Christ

For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Hebrews 9:13-14)

The Sacrifice

The scene of Jesus bleeding on the cross is a moment frozen in time that affects everything in the universe (Col 1:13-20). As the last drops of His life were draining out Jesus cried out, “It is finished”. The work was finished. We are saved by God’s work and our faith. We receive salvation and all the promises that go with it by just believing. By faith one accepts that what Jesus did on the cross was for them personally, they then receive Jesus’ life in them. Jesus gave His life so that we could receive His life. On the cross God gave the greatest gift of grace that He could ever give us. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

At the SeekGod.org site we hear from so many people that are struggling. People are in battles physically, mentally, and spiritually. Many of these people are Christians. Some have become entangled with sin again and are not sure how to get free and stay free. If you want absolute freedom, and the power to stay free, then this message is for you. If you want your desires to change so that you have God’s desires, this message is for you. If you want to increase your faith and learn how to take authority over sin and the effects of sin in your life and in the lives of people that you love, then this message is for you. If you want to walk in holiness with God, serving Him with a pure heart, this message is for you.

Jesus the Christ lived a holy life upon the earth in perfect obedience to His Father. Jesus only did what He saw the Father do and only spoke what He heard the Father say, (John 5:19, John 8:28). How did Jesus live in a human body and not sin? The answer is in Hebrews 9:14 … who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God. Jesus was able to live a sinless life and endure the cross by the power of the Holy Spirit in Him. It was the Holy Spirit that gave Jesus the power to offer Himself as a sacrifice to God for us.

Because Jesus was holy He was worthy to have the Holy Spirit dwelling in Him. Because His life was holy, His blood was holy also, making Him the perfect sacrifice for our sins. 'For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.' (Leviticus 17:11) The holy blood that was in Jesus was poured out for you and me to make atonement for our sins so that we could have a new relationship with God. God calls this new relationship “The New Covenant”. It is the blood of Jesus that seals this new covenant that God made with people.

The New Covenant

We enter into this new covenant with God by faith. By faith we receive the blood that Jesus shed as a holy sacrifice for our sins. The blood of Jesus makes us holy and worthy to receive God’s Holy Spirit in us. In this new covenant we agree to be led by God’s Holy Spirit. The proof of our faith is our obedience to God. Faith without works is dead faith. For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. (James 2:26) When we are not obeying the Holy Spirit we feel dead.

God’s part of this new covenant is for Him to adopt us as His children so that we become heirs of God and co-heirs with Jesus Christ, (Romans 8: 9-17). God promises to put His Holy Spirit in us, the Spirit of adoption. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." (Rom 8:14-15)

The Holy Spirit gives us divine communication from God and the power to obey His instructions. For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified. But the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us; for after He had said before, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them," (Heb 10:14-16). The same power that Jesus had on earth to give His life fully to the Father we now have in us. When we receive instructions from God through the Holy Spirit we also receive the power to obey the instructions.

It is the blood of Jesus that cleans our conscience from sin and it’s influence upon us. For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb 9:13-14) When we receive the blood of Jesus we receive a new conscience that desires to serve and obey God, a conscience that enjoys obeying God.

When Jesus blood was applied to your life you became conscious of righteousness and unconscious to sin. You were not only set free from sin, you were set free from the hold that sin had on you. You were set free from the influence of sin. It is the blood of Jesus Christ that makes you Holy Spirit conscious, God conscious, causing you to walk in the Light of His fellowship.

We were set free from dead works so that we can serve the Living God. The blood of Jesus sets us free from things that lead to death. We are set free from Satan, the world, and our self. Only when we are walking in freedom can we serve God. God puts a desire in our heart to serve Him out of love. Serving God is a form of worship. God desires that we worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. Truth always sets people free. True servants of the Most High God serve Him in the Spirit of Love, and in the freedom of Truth.

Feasting on Jesus

If you can receive this teaching of Jesus, and then put it into practice, your life will be dramatically changed. Spiritually feeding on Jesus body and drinking His blood will fill you with His very life, because the life is in the blood, (Deuteronomy 2:23). Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. "For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me. (John 6:53-57) Food gives us nourishment, strength, and satisfaction. Jesus is our spiritual source of nourishment, strength, and satisfaction.

Read John chapter 6, it begins with Jesus feeding a multitude with only five barley loaves and two small fish. The next day some of the people set out to find Jesus. And when they found Him on the other side of the sea, they said to Him, "Rabbi, when did You come here?" Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. "Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him." (John 6:25-27)

Jesus taught that He is to be our food and drink. He is our source of life. Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me.” (John 6:53-57)

After Jesus told the people that they needed to eat His flesh and drink His blood some of His followers left Him. They were offended at the thought of such things. The message of the cross and the blood that Jesus shed always separates the spiritually minded people from the carnal minded. After the offended people left Jesus He told His disciples, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.” (John 6:63) Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. (1st Cor. 2:14) Jesus is obviously speaking spiritually about drinking His blood.

How do we feed on Jesus? And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. (John 6:35) We feed on Jesus by coming to Him and believing in Him. Coming to Him means having a heart that is drawn toward Jesus. We are to seek God with all of our heart, mind, and strength. We receive from God by faith. Those who believe in Him receive Jesus blood and all its benefits. At the cross is where Jesus body became our bread and His blood became our drink. When we feel weak and hungry we must return to the cross. There we will find nourishment, strength, and satisfaction.

Jesus taught His disciples to remember His sacrifice for them. And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. (Luke 22:19-20) We are to partake of communion to remember His broken body and the blood that Jesus shed for us. By remembering the cross we come to Him and by faith we receive Him. Now that we are partakers of the blood of Jesus we now have the same Holy Spirit empowering us to give our lives to God and serve Him in the Spirit of Holiness.

When we remember the cross of Christ and receive His broken body and blood, we partake of the power of God. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor 1:18) We are being saved continually from things that attack us physically, mentally, and spiritually. Things that threaten to distract us from serving our God in holiness. Where do we find relief, protection, and more power? The answer is at the cross.

When you really believe that Jesus body was broken, and His blood was shed, for you personally, then you will have faith to enter into the most Holy place with God. You must never say that you are too bad, or that you are unworthy, that is to belittle Jesus’ sacrifice for you. You must accept that the price that Jesus paid was more than enough to cover all the evil of your sins, past, present, and future sins. You must accept that you are made righteous by what Jesus did for you, (Rom 5:19). Then you have a new conscience and have been made clean with the blood of Jesus. At the cross is where we enter into the Holy of Holies.

Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, and having a High Priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. (Heb 10:19-22)

One of our prayer warriors told me that when she was on a three week fast about 16 years ago the Lord spoke to her and said, “Take my body and blood as you would medicine. Take it every four hours, as you would your medication. Take it daily at home with Me. Let me reveal to you what is in John chapter 6.” She said “ but Lord sometimes we are not worthy to take this.” The Lord said, “She could never be worthy if it were not for Him.” So for 16 years every morning before she eats or drinks anything she takes communion, a small cracker and grape juice. She believes that she is healthy because of this. At 70 years old she is still working.

Applying the blood of Jesus

Just as priests applied the blood in the old covenant, we as priests in the new covenant are to apply the blood of Jesus. This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. (Heb 9:20) The word enjoined means to be given charge of. In the old covenant the priest applied the blood of animals by sprinkling. In the new covenant we receive the blood by faith and sprinkle the blood with our words. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:10)

You apply the blood of Jesus to yourself when you say, “the blood of Jesus which He shed on the cross was for me, and it makes me free from sin and all unrighteousness.” Overcoming is a continual process in this life. Whatever we apply the blood of Jesus to Satan cannot touch. Whatever we apply the blood to becomes redeemed by Christ, it becomes His. Whatever we apply the blood to is made Holy. When the blood is applied so also is God’s grace and the anointing of the Holy Spirit applied.

Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, "Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. (Rev 12:10-11)

We overcome by the blood of the Lamb, Jesus Christ, and the word of our testimony. Through the blood of Jesus, and our witness of it, we overcome and have power to give our life fully for the One who gave His life for us. We apply the blood by the word of our testimony. In the old covenant they applied the blood by sprinkling, (Heb. 9:19). In the new covenant we apply the blood by our words.

Every Christian’s testimony has the same beginning; it began on the cross of Jesus Christ. The shed blood of Jesus Christ is the most important part of any testimony. Without the blood we have no testimony. On the cross is where our testimony began, at the cross is where we were transformed, at the cross is where we were crucified with Jesus. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

You can apply the blood of Jesus to your body to receive healing, (Isa 53:5). You can apply the blood of Jesus to your mind, to receive a sound mind. You can apply the blood of Jesus to your home, (Exo 12:13). You can apply the blood of Jesus to your children, (Job 1:5). You can apply the blood of Jesus to anyone and anything that you have authority over or influence upon. It is your right as God’s child. Also in obedience to God’s Holy Spirit you should apply the blood of Jesus to anything or anyone that He tells you to. It is your duty as a royal priest of the most High God. But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; (1st Peter 2:9)

No More Excuse For Sin

Because of Jesus shedding His blood on the cross we have access to God. For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:15-16) The word “come” above means to approach and come near in an attitude of worship. The word “boldly” means to be out-spoken, frank, and blunt with confidence. We can pour out our hearts to Jesus and receive compassion and grace in return.

At the throne of grace is where we can ask Jesus to change our heart to be like His heart. This is the place that Jesus can change our desires, our attitude, and our perspective, so that we can have His desires, attitude, and see things with His understanding. Because Jesus has shed His blood to set us free, and we now have access to Him at the throne of grace for help anytime we need it, we have no more excuse for sin. In the presence of God temptation disappears.

For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (Mat 26:28) Remission means that not only are we forgiven of sin but we are also set free from sin. When we go back and become entangled with sin again we have broken the blood covenant. After we have been set free from sin and its influence by the blood of Jesus Christ, if we do sin, it is “willful sin”. We have no excuse for sinning willfully because we do such sins in the freedom that was purchased by the precious blood of Christ. When the blood of Jesus is applied so also is God’s grace applied. To sin willfully is to presume upon God’s grace.

For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people." It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. (Heb 10:26-31)

This is where many people are today. They have counted the blood of the covenant a common thing and are sinning willfully, despite the grace that has been given to them through the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ. A person who is in this state is very miserable. They may again be caught up into the bondage of sin but at the same time their conscience will have a fearful expectation of judgment.

Paul tells us in 1st Corinthians that those who receive communion in an unworthy manner will bring God’s judgment upon themselves. Then he says that for this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many are dead. Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. (1 Cor 11:27-32) Notice that he said “many”.

In Paul’s time and our time many who had received salvation willingly choose to not walk in the freedom provided by the blood of Jesus. Communion is a time of remembering the sacrifice that Jesus made so that we could become one with Him. Receiving communion while still holding onto sin in your life will bring God’s judgment. Notice that the judgment here is chastisement, which is designed to bring you back into right relationship with the Lord, before you suffer total condemnation with the world. God’s judgment upon His people is to restore, not to destroy. God desires that we repent and turn from our wicked ways in word and deed.

Paul tells us to examine ourselves before we partake of the bread and drink of communion. Examining yourself is judging yourself so that the Lord will not have to judge you. If you ask the Lord, as David did, to search your heart and reveal any wicked way in you, He will. Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting. (Psa 139:23-24) When the Lord reveals sin in your life apply the blood to it. Ask Jesus to cover the sin by His blood. If the sin is against another person then also make it right with that person also. If the sin is not obeying something that the Lord told you to do, then do it. Whatever it takes make sure that your heart is right before God do it.

Does that mean that we should avoid communion. No, that will not help you avoid the chastisement of the Lord. Anyone who has ever been a believer in Christ and accepted the sacrifice that He made on the cross has been purchased by His blood; the blood has already been applied. You have been purchased for a price and that price is the price that Jesus Christ paid on the cross when His blood was shed for you. For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. (1 Cor 6:20)

Recently a woman that I know who has suffered greatly over the last few years told me why she has suffered so much. She has been in the hospital many times for different physical ailments sometimes they were life threatening. She has had continuous financial struggles. Then a few months ago her husband died. A short time after her husband died she was involved in a terrible head-on collision traffic accident. She was the only one hurt, but she was barely alive. They had to cut her out of the car. When they got her out she was not breathing and had to be resuscitated. Many of her bones had been broken. At the hospital they determined that her injuries were too extensive for the best hospitals in our area. They then transported her to Seattle by Lear jet for treatment.

She is now recovering with many pins holding bones together and many scars. I spoke with her on the phone and she told me the rest of the story. She said that she became a Christian in her twenties. Her first marriage failed and she blamed God for it. She became bitter against Him, turned her back, and began running from God. She said, “But I can’t run anymore, I’m in a wheel chair now”. She went on to say, “Isn’t it sad that God had to take me through so much to bring me back to Him?” She is now fully committed to Jesus; she knows that He has given her another chance at life. Also she should be out of the wheel chair in a few months.

Chastisement from the Lord is for our benefit. Chastisement is Jesus knocking at the door of our heart in a way that is loud enough to get our attention. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. (Rev 3:19-21)

Jesus will come into a heart that is open toward Him. When He comes in He then eats with the person. That is, He receives satisfaction from us and we receive satisfaction from Him. We give Him our life and He gives us His life. We become One with Him as He is One with His Father. When Jesus sits down on His Father’s throne He does not just sit beside Him, He sits inside of Him. For those who overcome we sit inside of Jesus on His throne. He desires the most intimate relationship with us that is possible, that we become One with Him, us in Him and He in us.

This is Jesus prayer for you. “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.” (John 17:20-21)

Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Hebrews 13:20-21)

http://www.seekgod.org/message/bloodofjesus.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement