Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » - A Lifelong Journey –

Author Topic: - A Lifelong Journey –
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post!

Thanks for your time in posting, my friend.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hebrews 12:1, "Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us"

Long-distance runners know the importance of a strong finish. They know that many races are won or lost in the final steps. Uzziah made a splendid start when he became king at age 16. Through his faithfulness to God, he restored his nation to honor and glory. Then he became proud and believed that the rules no longer applied to him. Uzziah entered the temple to burn incense … a privilege restricted to the priests. Even when confronted about his sin, he arrogantly refused to listen … until leprosy broke out on his forehead. God had gotten his attention. Uzziah stumbled before the finish line. He was disqualified. Instead of a record of great victories, he left his throne in disgrace. King Uzziah doesn't stand alone in history. Many men and women who once walked humbly with God become proud and walk away from Him. They persist in disobedience and refuse to hear the voice of God or the rebuke of friends. The way they finish spoils their race. Maybe, you have wandered off course in your journey; or maybe you feel overwhelmed by the challenges of living for Christ especially during the times in which we are now living?

If so, you're not alone. Even the apostle Paul felt that way. In 2 Corinthians 1:8, he honestly admitted that the troubles he and Timothy endured in Asia had taxed them beyond measure, and they feared for their lives. However, Paul said they learned this lesson, "We should not trust in ourselves but in God" (v. 9). Once again in Philippians 3:12-14, Paul wrote honestly about his Christian walk, admitting that he hadn't attained perfection, "I press toward the goal for the prize." He identified this lifelong pilgrimage as "the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." There will be times when you'll be discouraged in your Christian walk and will want to give up and throw in the towel. My brethren, you must never, never, never give up. What's required is determined endurance, keeping at the task of obedience through the ebbs and flows, ups and downs, victories and losses in life. It is trying again, while knowing that God is working in you to accomplish His purposes (Philippians 1:6; 2:13). It is persistently pursuing God's will for your life till you stand before Him and your work is done. God is wonderfully persistent also, because He will never, never, never give up on you!

Further thoughts:

While writing this devotional I was reminded of the years I was in the U. S. Navy, especially when I was at sea. When you set sail on the high seas you need to know three important facts: your location, your destination, and your course. By referring to a map and using a compass, you can end up where you want to go. However, the hard part comes in determining where you are at any given moment, especially when foul weather (strong wind, high waves, and limited visibility) creates conditions that can sometimes confuse sailors. So, how does a follower of Christ stay on course and avoid spiritual shipwreck? The apostle Paul wrote of the importance of holding on to "faith and a good conscience" (1 Timothy 1:19). We can do that by carefully reading and following the directions in God's precious Word, depending on the Spirit's leading and moment-by-moment help, and listening to the wise and sound counsel of concerned Christian friends.

(1) How are you doing in your lifelong journey?
(2) Are you on course or in danger of shipwreck?

My friend, we can end our lifelong Christian journey well, even if we began late, started slow, or falter along the way. So, wherever you are on your journey, purpose in your heart to live and serve in faith and holiness, staying on course until you are safely home … the secret is to stay true to Jesus Christ, our Redeemer and Lord, until the very last moment.

Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and the prize that awaits you.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement