Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » - Compassion of the Heart –

Author Topic: - Compassion of the Heart –
Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 20:34, “Jesus had compassion and touched their eyes”
Romans 12:15, “Weep with those who weep”

Are you a compassionate person? The dictionary defines compassion as a powerful deep awareness of someone else’s suffering. It is more than a mere desire to help; it creates a determination, a decision to actually help, even if only in some small way. Other related words would be sympathy (being sad about others’ sadness) or pity (which leads a person to want to help if at all possible). The root word is the same as that of passion, something you want so much that you suffer from not doing or having or accomplishing it. In our hectic and busy lives, we tend to be so caught up with our own concerns and problems that we lose all sense of compassion for others. As believers in Christ we should see people through the eyes of Jesus and then we will be moved to respond to individuals, whether little children, unsaved friends, parents, or believers of like faith. The following story speaks about compassion and we all can learn from it. When she shuffled into the subway, I wanted to look away. She was old and had only ragged clothes to protect her from the bitter Chicago winter wind. She took the nearest seat, her shoulders hunched against the cold and her eyes down. Her white, cracked, bony hands clutched a worn shawl tightly around her. I watched with wonder and pity. At the next stop, an energetic young man strode confidently onto the train, his cheeks red with health. His clothes were sharp, his hair immaculate, and his step graceful. He too saw the woman’s silent misery. Three stops later, as the train slowed, he glided by her to the other door and disappeared into the tunnel. On her lap lay his brown leather gloves. I don’t know if he was a believer in Christ or not. However, I do know this: He saw her need and responded with compassion, while I just sat there. It never occurred to me to give her my gloves. That young man showed compassion in a way I will never forget. It reminded me of the kind of compassion that moved Jesus to heal two blind men near Jericho (Matthew 20:34), and ultimately, to give His own life on the cross, so that we could have eternal life.

Further thoughts:

Why are we often reluctant to show compassion? We can’t help everyone, but whom can we help? How can we develop greater compassion? I believe we need to follow the example of our Lord by reaching out and giving hope to people in need. Amid all the demands placed on us as servants of Christ, please take the time to:

(1) Hold the hand of an aging believer;
(2) Giving up your coat or maybe a pair of gloves;
(3) Saying a kind word;
(4) Shedding a tear;
(5) Comforting a tired mother or
(6) Cradling a child until asleep.

I’m sure you could add to the above list; however, and more importantly the concerns of the Lord’s heart have not changed. He is still asking all who have accepted Him as Lord and Savior to be instruments of His divine love for those who need help. You see, He longs to touch others’ lives through yours.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement