Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » - Esther - A Courageous Story –

Author Topic: - Esther - A Courageous Story –
DawnZLight
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops my apologies Abednago, I was reading Keifer's posting of Scripture in another thread but I am just so blessed by both of your posts, I thank God for His Holy Living Word and His Holy people [Smile]

Sister ~D~

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnZLight
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a truly inspiring and beautiful post Keifer [Smile] It is dropping scents of myrhh and cassis all over my spirit. I especially loved this powerful statement you made:

"My friend, we would do well to emulate her godly attitudes in all areas of life, but especially in our trials. Not once is there a complaint or bad attitude exposed in the writing. Many times we read she won the "favor" of those around her. Such favor is what ultimately saved her people. We can be granted such favor as we accept even unfair persecution and follow Esther’s example of maintaining a positive attitude, coupled with humility and the determination to trust in God."

I totally agree. The fear of the Lord IS indeed the beginning of Wisdom and He that hath it shall abide satisfied indeed. The Lord loves the righteous and Christ is our righteousness, His mercy endures forever. I also love how the Book of Esther demonstrates how God can use a completely weak thing like "an orphaned young woman" to magnify and glorify HIS strength when we trust in Him.

May God be blessed forever and let everything that hath breath praise ye the Lord! Amen.

Sister ~D~

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He courageously stood his ground on the front lines. That is what Esther did, and that is what God wants us to do. He wants us to face the conflict, follow Christ, and finish the course. Overcome your lack of courage and love of comfort. Don’t fear the conflict. Don’t forsake Christ. He wants you to represent Him to your generation. He wants you to be like David, Gideon, Joshua, and Caleb. He wants you to stand for Him and not bow with the crowd. Don’t give in and above all don’t deny Jesus Christ in the crisis we face. Esther certainly didn’t and we mustn’t either.

AMEN!!!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abednego
Advanced Member
Member # 8189

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Abednego   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Esther 4:14, "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to the royal position for such a time as this"

Esther 7:3, "If I have found favor with you, O king, and if it pleases your majesty, grant me my life-this is my petition, and the life of my people-this is my request"

The book of Esther has been called the book of "Providential Care", and is named after it's principal character. It was most likely written between 460 and 350 B.C. to describe the events, which are celebrated today by the Jews at the Festival of Purim. The story takes place during the era of the Persian Empire and most of the Jews were scattered outside the Promised Land. Esther is an orphaned Jewish girl who is living with her uncle Mordecai, a local official in the Persian court of Xerxes. The Book can be divided into three main sections: (1) Chapters 1:1-2:18 – Esther replaces Vashti; (2) Chapters 2:19-7:10 – Mordecai overcomes Haman; (3) Chapters 8:1-10:3 – Israel survives Haman’s attempt to destroy them.

The plot … a Jewish orphan (Esther) living in exile becomes the Queen of Persia and then risks it all to save her people … the characters … Ahasuerus, the King of Persia; Vashti, the Queen who dared to say no; Haman, the self-absorbed Prime Minister of Persia; Esther, a Jewish exile destined to be Queen of Persia; Mordecai, the older cousin and guardian of Esther; God, the invisible unmentioned presence.

The character of Esther, as she appears in the Bible, is that of a woman of deep goodness, faith, courage, patriotism, and caution, combined with resolution; an obedient daughter to her adopted father, submissive to his counsel, and anxious to share the king’s favor with him for the good of the Jewish people. She was a virtuous woman, and, as far as her situation made it possible, her continued influence over the king for so long a time warrants us to conclude that she was a good wife to him. There must have been a singular charm in her aspect and manners since she obtained favor in the sight of all that looked upon her. Esther shows the choice we make between seeing the hand of God in our circumstances in life and seeing things as merely coincidence. She proved to have a godly and teachable spirit that also showed great strength and willing obedience. Esther’s humility was markedly different from those around her, and this caused her to be elevated into the position of Queen. She shows us that remaining respectful and humble, even in difficult times and under impossible circumstances, often sets us up to be the vessel of untold blessing for both ourselves and others.

My friend, we would do well to emulate her godly attitudes in all areas of life, but especially in our trials. Not once is there a complaint or bad attitude exposed in the writing. Many times we read she won the "favor" of those around her. Such favor is what ultimately saved her people. We can be granted such favor as we accept even unfair persecution and follow Esther’s example of maintaining a positive attitude, coupled with humility and the determination to trust in God. One of the most significant facts about the story of Esther is that the name of God isn't mentioned once, and for this reason many have wondered whether it even belongs in the Bible. Yet, what this amazing chapter of history reveals is that God doesn’t have to be named to be present. Thus, the hand of God is very evident throughout the book of Esther, throughout history, and even in the day in which we are living. To the eye of faith, our Protector is everywhere, orchestrating the most unlikely events. What was true of Esther is most certainly true for us. God isn’t dependent on us, but who knows when and how often He works through the confusion of our own circumstances to change the eternal destiny of one or even hundreds of His people. Who can say when we will find ourselves looking in the eye of destiny as we contemplate the needs of a lonely child, a hurting neighbor, a frightened co-worker, or a disillusioned mate? Who can say that heaven hasn’t brought us to this place … for just such a moment?

Further thoughts:

God our Creator is the sovereign Ruler of the universe and we can be most assured that His plans will not be moved by the actions of mere evil men. In Esther, we are given a behind-the-scenes look at the ongoing struggle of Satan against the purposes of God and most especially against His promised Messiah. The entrance of Christ into the human race was predicated upon the existence of the Jewish race. Just as Haman plotted against the Jews in order to destroy them, so has Satan set himself against Jesus Christ and God’s people. Moreover, just as Haman is defeated on the gallows he built for Mordecai, so Satan was crushed by the cross he erected to destroy Jesus Christ. My friend, God puts us where He wants us to be, just as He did Esther. He’ll use us, as He did Esther, if we allow Him to work in and through us. Whatever position we’re in, remember the words of Mordecai to the Queen of Persia, “Who knows but that you have come to this royal position for such a time as this?”

(1) In what ways can God use you where you are now?
(2) How has God used other people when you needed them?

In conclusion I submit the following true account of what courage is all about. During the student revolution that took place in China in the spring and summer of 1989, a young man demonstrated what courage is all about. Every news agency carried the footage of an amazing scene that took place in Tianannmen Square in the city of Beijing. One young man, alone and unidentified, stood in the path of a convoy of tanks. As the lead tank attempted to maneuver around him, the man moved to prevent it. He simply refused to bow to the military might that confronted him. He did not run in fear. He did not stay where it was comfortable. He courageously stood his ground on the front lines. That is what Esther did, and that is what God wants us to do. He wants us to face the conflict, follow Christ, and finish the course. Overcome your lack of courage and love of comfort. Don’t fear the conflict. Don’t forsake Christ. He wants you to represent Him to your generation. He wants you to be like David, Gideon, Joshua, and Caleb. He wants you to stand for Him and not bow with the crowd. Don’t give in and above all don’t deny Jesus Christ in the crisis we face. Esther certainly didn’t and we mustn’t either.

--------------------
2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"

Posts: 28 | From: Southwestern New York | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement