Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » the Kaonde Africans in Zambia

Author Topic: the Kaonde Africans in Zambia
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:

The difference between that view and Christianity is that we worship God who is indeed good, and, when we walk uprightly before God, we expect God to battle the evil spirits FOR US:

thank God
[clap2]

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so true.

I have often times wondered at the vast amount of time, which has warped the memories of God in so many tribes and different cultures.

In the beginning the concept of God all came from one place, so over time God has changed in the minds of those who have grown distant from him.

Like so many cultures, they made the mistake of being prideful by placing their own strengths before the strength of God, which is exactly what the enemy wishes us to do.

It is an important lesson you have shared with us here today, Eden: that just because we think ourselves powerful does not make it so; and only God retains all power and glory.

May His name and stature be blessed forever.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Bob Foster was a missionary to Kaondeland in Zambia, he found that the Kaonde Africans HAD a word for "God as Creator", but because they knew that God was good, they did not bother to worship Him or appease Him.

Instead, the Kaonde Africans focused all their efforts on appeasing and battling the evil spirits, themselves.

The difference between that view and Christianity is that we worship God who is indeed good, and, when we walk uprightly before God, we expect God to battle the evil spirits FOR US:

Malachi 3
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, says the LORD of hosts.

So what the Zambians needed to be taught was that it was God who would battle the evil spirits FOR THEM, and that they were in NO POSITION to be taking on the evil spirits themselves. Only God can battle them.

So that, if they worship God as God and walk uprightly, God promises to undertake on their behalf, instead of them having to do it themselves, praise the LORD.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement