Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH"‏

Author Topic: "THE OBEDIENCE OF FAITH"‏
Dave B.
Advanced Member
Member # 6710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave B.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Yet another great discussion.

Cain's sacrifice was not accepted by God because Cain was dead in trespasses and sins. God had not saved Cain as He had saved Abel.

Abel made his sacrifice "by faith". Again, the literal translation is "by means of faith". Where did Abel get this faith? He was given it by God when God saved him. Thus, Abel's faith was instrumental. He responded according to his regenerate nature which came as a result of God doing a work in him.

Cain was acting as a natural man, which being spiritually dead, could not and would not respond in faith. Cain had no faith. According to the Bible the best an unsaved person can do is to have psychological trust in the performance of a religious act. Indeed, the "natural" man, can only be psychological. He can never be spiritual unless God acts, and makes him born from above, as Jesus told Nicodemus.

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I can recognize that God apparently sacrificed an animal to cover Adam and Eve from the "naked" unrighteousness of their sinful disobedience of his command. I can assume that in their ongoing relationship with God that God may have clearly taught them some of the basic procedures by which they were to worship and to make sacrifices unto him, although we don't have any specific citations of these rules. We don't even have any biblical text that indicates that Adam made any sacrifices like we have for Noah and Abraham and Jacob and Moses and Joshua and the prophets and the apostles and the early Christians. Cain may have known that God required the sacrifice of an animal for offerings that were made to him, and since he was just a farmer and not a shepherd he decided to "short change" God with an offering that was more convenient for him to make. If so, that was not a faithful offering. I can understand that. I think that there was something basically wrong with Cain's attitude or spirit of sacrifice, which is ultimately more important to God than the substance of the sacrifice. Thanks for your futher comments on this matter.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also faith!

Hebrews 11:4
By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks.

There were many later on who offered blood sacrifices that God would not accept because their hearts were not right with God.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Cor. 5:
1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

Adam and Eve were clothed in the righteousness of God. When they sinned they found themselves naked, no longer covered in His righteousness.

Genesis 3:
7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
9 And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

To clothe Adam and Eve God made the first sacrifice, and slew an animal for the skin, for their sin.

It was from Adam that Cain and Able learned to sacrifice.

It is through the sacrifice of blood that sins are covered. The earth was cursed and Cain's was unacceptable.

Adam and Eve were clothed in the righteousness of God, prior to eating of the forbidden fruit.

This is why they were "naked" even though they had sewn leaves, they knew themselves to be no longer clothed in righteousness.

God sacrificed an animal as the covering for their sin.

Noah took two of every animal into the ark, except of the clean animals he took seven, and immediately sacrificed upon leaving the ark.

Just as God sacrificed an animal in the Garden, for Adam's sin, so too Abel brought a sacrifice from his flock of sheep, to sacrifice before the Lord.

http://www.biblebay.org/article.php?id=31

quote:

The first record in the Bible of animal sacrifices was at the gate of the Garden of Eden.

"In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor." Genesis 4:3-5 (NIV).

Scholars tell us that the Hebrew of the first phrase, "In the course oftime," suggests that this offering of sacrifices was a recurring event. It is actually implied in Genesis 3:21 where it says, "The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." The clothing of skins with which God covered Adam and Eve had to have come from animals that were killed.

Why did the Lord look with favor on Abel's sacrifice and did not look with favor on Cain's offering? It was because the sacrifice of "the firstborn of his flock" carried a symbolism certainly known and understood by both Cain and Abel. It was an acted out prophecy of a coming Savior who would give His life to save the human race.

Offerings of clean animals were offered by Noah after the flood when the ark came to rest on the top of Mt. Ararat (Genesis 8:20).

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends,
In spite of all of these fine posts regarding the importance of obedience, I have a persistent problem regarding God's dealing with Cain. Wild B. cites an article by Russell Miller in which he states this
quote:
God rejected Cain's offering because he had not obeyed the Lord God.
But I can't find any place in Scripture, particularly in the early chapters of Genesis that states any of God's instructions to either Cain or Able regarding their sacrifices. Hebrews 11:4 is cited as some statement of "proof" that Cain's offering was rejected by God because it wasn't offered "By faith". Apparently God did speak "well" (Heb 11:4) of Abel's offering and he "looked with favor on Abel and his offering" (Genesis 4:4), but it is not clear from any text that I can find exactly why he did so, apart from Heb. 11:4, which doesn't cite any commandment to either Abel or Cain regarding their sacrifices. The reason must have something more to do with the attitudes of Cain and Abel in their offerings than with the substance of their offerings, because the offering of grain and grain products are clearly allowed and instructed by God in Leviticus 2:1-16. I would appreciate if someone could explain this matter to me more logically.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
AMEN! What a great post!

God bless you Caretaker!

I found this list to be a helpful reference too:

http://thechristianbbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000888#000000

Thank you Sis, and Amen to the list!!!

Daily we sin and fall short of God's glory, but I surely praise God that I in my human frailty am clothed in the righteousness of Christ before the Throne of Glory.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN! What a great post!

God bless you Caretaker!

I found this list to be a helpful reference too:

http://thechristianbbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000888#000000

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

John 14:
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The New Testament writings are divinely inspired, for God’s Comforter,(the indwelling Spirit of God Almighty), taught and brought the writers into God’s glorious truth. I absolutely use the Word of God as the guidebook for my life, as a lamp unto my feet and a glorious light unto my path.

What could be clearer than the contrast of fleshly fruit and spiritual fruit found in Galations 5:
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

My personal yardstick, by which I am able to measure the progress of my feeble walk with my precious Lord.

1 Thess. 5:

Rejoice evermore.

Do we rejoice in our hearts, in our lives, in our postings and interaction with others?

Pray without ceasing.

Do we walk with our precious Lord in an attitude of prayer? Do we pray for others? Have we prayed today? Have we prayed for another today? Have we ministered to others unselfishly and with true devotion to our great God and His Holy Word?

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Do we gives thanks to our mighty God, our awesome Redeemer? Have we given thanks today? Do others see a thankful spirit in us, and in our posts?

Quench not the Spirit.

Do we honor the Spirit of God, and do we encourage the manifestation of God’s Holy Spirit within our Brothers and Sisters, or do we seek to quench it?

Despise not prophesyings.

Do we despise the forth-telling of God's Holy Word?

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Do we prove all things and hold fast to that which is good?

Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Do we seek to abstain from all appearance of evil, the living witness to those around us, or do we seek to justify that which is wrong?

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

May we allow our glorious Lord to set us apart and to purify us for His Holy purpose and perfect will.

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Our glorious Lord is ever faithful and we have His Word on it. May we seek to be ever faithful to our Redeemer, and yielded to His will and purpose for the hearts and lives of His children.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

The righteous commandments of Christ are far more than the Ten Commandments which were a part of the ordinances nailed to the Cross of Calvary.

Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Jesus is the complete expression of God's righteousness, not the 10 commandments!

B. Things the 10 commandments lack:

1. Did not condemn: Drunkenness, obscene language, laziness, pride, pre-marital sex, homosexuality, bestiality.
2. Do not forbid brethren taking brethren to court. (1 Cor 6)
3. Does not command: forgiveness, repentance or helping the poor or Baptism or the Lord's supper.
4. The rich young ruler had kept the 10 commandments from his youth up, but Jesus said he lacked something even though he had kept the 10 commandments acceptably: Lk 18:18-23
5. It does not tell us about the kingdom of God or how to enter it.
6. There is no provision for forgiveness of sin therein. Heb 10:4
7. It permitted swearing, but Jesus forbade swearing: Mt 5:32
8. Four essential things lacking in 10 commandments: Acts 15:28-29 "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than: these essentials: that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well."
9. Jesus said that the ten commandments do not contain the two greatest moral commandments! Matthew 22:36-40 Where do the ten commandments teach to love your enemies??? Too bad for Sabbatarians: This would have been a great place for Jesus to quote the Sabbath law or at least one of the 10 commandments!

Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." Heb. 8:
6: But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
7: For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8: For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10: For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12: For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13: In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb. 9:
1: Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.
2: For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
3: And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
4: Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
5: And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.

8: The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
9: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10: Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
11: But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12: Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

5. The ten commandments (tablets) are part of the first covenant that was replaced by the new covenant of Heb 8:13

* Notice that the Ten Commandments were the first abolished covenant: Heb 8:13 "When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear. "Now even the first covenant had ... the TABLES OF THE COVENANT." Heb 9:1-4

* 2 Corinthians 3:2-11 The abolished Old Covenant was the 10 commandments:

2: Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4: And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5: Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6: Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7: But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8: How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9: For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10: For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11: For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

That which was written on Stone Tablets is DONE AWAY, fulfilled in Christ Jesus our Lord on the Cross of Calvary.

Col. 2:
11: In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13: And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14: Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15: And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
16: Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18: Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19: And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
20: Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21: (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22: Which all are to perish with the usingwink after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23: Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen

If we want to keep our feet on the ground spiritually, walk straight, and not stumble, then we must yield ourselves fully to the Saviour. He alone is able to guard us, but we must “keep ourselves in the love of God” (Jude 21). He is able if we are willing.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 8 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen;

Father Help Me!

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obedience, Not Sacrifice
Scripture reference: 1 Samuel 15:22

Many Christians believe the way to please God is to give up or sacrifice certain things in their lives. The idea is that giving up, refraining from, or sacrificing certain activities or elements of life shows one's devotion and obedience to God. However, this scripture states specifically that God does not equate sacrifice with obedience. What God considers obedience is doing exactly what He says to do; not coming up with things to not do as a way of showing obedience. And God does not buy any worldly reasoning that our ideas of showing our devotion to God should be as acceptable to Him and obeying His commands.

Let us observe what the Lord God Almighty tells us through His prophet, Isaiah. "I am sick of your sacrifices. Don't bring me any more of them. ... Who wants your sacrifices when you have no sorrow for your sins? ... Your holy celebrations of the new moon and the Sabbath, and your special days for fasting - even your most pious meetings - all are frauds! I want nothing more to do with them. I hate them all; I can't stand the sight of them." (Isaiah 1:11-14 TLB)

In this passage God gets to the heart of His real objective. He wants sincere contrite hearts truly repentant of our sins. He wants to see that we are fully aware of how our sinful behavior has hurt Him, and are filled with sorrow because of that knowledge. In short, God, who looks into a man's heart, wants to know that we really love Him so much that we hurt in our heart when we do not do as He commands us. Simply performing certain rituals, like going to church and saying grace before a meal, and not doing certain things, like drinking alcohol or dancing, does not meet with God's approval. It does not show Him that we are sorrowful for our disobedience to Him; and it does not show that we are following His commands.

Now the question arises, just what does God command us to do? How can we show our obedience to Him? The answers to these questions can be found quite easily in the scriptures. All we need to do is turn to the teachings of Jesus as presented in the gospels. We need look no further than the words of Christ while he was among us.

When can start with the Sermon on the Mount as recorded in Matthew chapters 5 through 7. In the beginning of that great sermon Jesus tells us that we are the salt of the Earth. What does that mean? Well, salt was and is still used to cure and preserve meat. A modern cured and smoked ham has a salty taste because it is first soak for several days in a salt water solution, and then smoked. Salting meat and fish to preserve it is still done all over the world today. So Jesus is telling us that we are to be the element in the which world cures and preserves the souls of men. And if we do not do that, then we are useless, and shall be cast out of the kingdom of God.

Next Jesus tells us that we are to be a light in the world. We are to be a transmitter of the light of God's glory. His light is to shine through us to all the world, so that those who are living in the darkness of not knowing God may find their way into his redeeming light. And how do we do this? By our deeds; by the way we live every day life. It is by always having a kind word for everyone we encounter; by offering a helping hand whenever the opportunity arises; by comforting sorrow, and nursing the sick; by feeding the hungry and welcoming the stranger. In these ways we are obeying God's commands. This is a true demonstration of our heart felt devotion to Him. It is in these ways that we offer a worship to God which he finds pleasing and acceptable.

The most clear set of commands from God concerning our behavior in regular, daily life, and a sign of our true devotion to and worship of God, can be found in Matthew 25:334-40. In this passage Jesus tells us exactly what is expected of us. We are to feed the hungry, give drink to those who thirst, care for the sick, and visit the imprisoned. In these ways Jesus says we are caring for Him. It is those who obey these simple instructions Christ calls righteous.

It should be noted what Jesus does not say. He does not say that we are to perform any rituals, observe any specials days, dress a certain way, listen to a certain type of music, or forbid certain activities. And the reason should be obvious. In feeding others, quenching the thirst of others, caring for others, and visiting others in distress, we are putting others first. We are putting the needs of others before our own wants and concerns. This is the central theme of all of the teachings of Jesus. For by putting those whom God loves first in our life, we are putting God first in our life. Conversely, when we make rituals and rules that please us and make us feel religious the most important elements in our life, we are putting ourself first. We are putting our need to feel pious in the center of our life; and that is God's place. He wants to be in the center of our life, because He has made us first in His life. We are His central focus; therefore, God should always be the central focus of our life. And we make Him the central focus of life by following the few simple commands He has given us through our Savior Christ Jesus.

Paul admonishes us to be as Christ. He tells us to remember that Jesus willingly gave up all the privileges of being the Son of God to serve the hungry, thirsty, sick, and imprisoned. We, therefore, are to follow Christ's example, and do as He did. Paul tells us that doing so is our true worship of God through Christ. By doing as Jesus instructed in Matthew 25:34-40 we are obeying God's commands and giving Him the worship and glory He is due. This is the sign of true obedience.

May the grace of God, the love of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the peace of the Holy Spirit be with you. Amen.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Russell S. Miller

Some suppose that somehow, in the final analysis, their "good works" will outweigh the bad works they do and God will accept them into His heaven. But is it good works that save?

Of the first two children born into this world, Cain brought of the fruit of the ground--that, which his works had produced--with which to worship the Lord, while Abel, his brother, offered the sacrificial lamb that God required.

"By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh" (Heb.11:4).

God rejected Cain's offering because he had not obeyed the Lord God. But a far greater sacrifice than Abel's has been offered on our behalf. "Christ died for our sins" (ICor.15:3). Now the question must be asked, Have you believed the Lord in this? As long as men continue in unbelief, and reject the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour, they will remain angry and bitter and wicked sinners in the sight of a thrice Holy God.

Such are the deeds of those who place their will over the written Word of God, as their evil doings are reported daily over radio, TV and in our newspapers.

But God is able to turn "the wickedness of men" into the greatest good, as we have seen. For, when wicked men crucified the Lord, little did they know "that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them..." (IICor.5:19). Little did they know, that this event in history--the crucifixion of Christ--would bring "to nought" all this world's wisdom. Little did they know, that God had a secret eternal purpose in Christ:

"Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory" (ICor.2:8).

Study God's Word, especially the Epistles of St. Paul, and discover that Christ IS the great Victor over sin, death, the grave, and hell. You will also be rejoicing in all that He accomplished on Calvary's cross--"the salvation, which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory" (IITim.2:10), and His "more excellent sacrifice", to which all the types and shadows pointed.

"The preaching of the cross" constitutes the obedience of faith today. It is therefore faith, and faith alone, in the finished work of Christ that saves:

"NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD HE ENTERED IN ONCE INTO THE HOLY PLACE, HAVING OBTAINED ETERNAL REDEMPTION FOR US" (Heb.9:12).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement