Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Wicked Die In Their Sins

Author Topic: The Wicked Die In Their Sins
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bible gives us warnings about false doctrines, false teachers, and even false Christs. There are plenty of them out there!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Sadly, there are people who teach it. They say God would not be that cruel. They use scriptures out of context to support their claims. But they are actually the ones being cruel. Sinners who think there are no consequences to sin will never repent and come to our Lord for forgiveness and salvation.

that was my thought too, that people would see it as "no big deal" and it kind of is like the way atheist look at things, no consequences.

I believe also that the Mormons believe that there are three heavens, and that "everyone" goes to one of them. It's very tricky of Satan.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, there are people who teach it. They say God would not be that cruel. They use scriptures out of context to support their claims. But they are actually the ones being cruel. Sinners who think there are no consequences to sin will never repent and come to our Lord for forgiveness and salvation.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not teaching it/or backing it at all.

just curious about the subject, I had never known that it was even taught until fairly recently.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annihilationism is false.

KnowHim is the owner of this BBS. He is opposed to the teaching of annihilation, and I am too.

I know you aren't teaching it, just asking. But just so you know...

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

I posted to this a week or so ago, and had to delete my post because I couldn't find a reference to what I thought I had read..

regarding annihilation- I thought I had read that some Messianic Christians believe in annihilation.

I have the Bible- Complete Jewish Bible, and thought that I had read the word annihilation in there but I must have only gotten the idea that they believe that from some verse in there?

What groups teach this?

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE WICKED ARE SAID TO “DIE IN THEIR SINS.”

John 8:21, 24—“Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.”

Rom. 6:23—“For the wages of sin is death.”

See Rev. 20:14, 15; 21:8.

The “death” spoken of here does not mean cessation of existence any more than eternal life means the beginning of existence. Eternal life does not mean merely to live for ever, but to live in a state of blessedness for ever. Eternal life deals not so much with quantity as with quality of existence. Just so with eternal death. It is a quality of existence, not cessation of being. Even in this life death can co-exist with life: “But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth” (1 Tim. 5:6); Eph. 2:1. What men call life God calls death. There are two things which the believer gets: at his regeneration, eternal life; at his resurrection, immortality; but in both instances he already has life and existence. So it is in the case of the wicked: the second death does not mean cessation of existence, for he is dead already, now in this life (1 Tim. 5:6; Eph. 2:1; John 5:24, 25). Rev. 21:8 describes what “death,” as here used, means: “But the fearful, and the unbelieving… shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

THE WICKED ARE NOT ANNIHILATED.

The texts most strongly urged as teaching the annihilation theory, if rightly interpreted, will be seen to refer to removal from off the earth, and not to future retribution Here are the principal passages:

Psa. 37:20—“But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.”

This psalm is written for the encouragement of Israel and against her enemies and their power on the earth. This earthly power shall be utterly broken, and be of no more account than the smoke of a burnt sacrifice. The great truth taught here is that the earth is the inheritance of the saints, and that the wicked shall have no part in it.

Obadiah 16—“… And they shall be as though they had not been.”

These words are taken from the vision regarding Edom, and refer to the destruction of the Edomites and their land, and not to the future of the wicked in the next life.

In speaking of the “everlasting punishment” with which the wicked will be visited, as recorded in 2 Thess. 1:9, the annihilationist would say that reference is made to the “results or consequences” of that punishment and not to the punishment itself. But the Scriptures state that it is the “punishment” itself, and not the consequences, that is everlasting.

No such interpretation as that put upon these passages by those holding the annihilation theory can be maintained by sound exegesis. What need is there of a resurrection if the wicked are to be annihilated at death, or why should they be raised from the dead if only to be at once extinguished for ever? Again, there is no such thing as “unconscious” punishment. You cannot punish anything that is unconscious. Can you punish a stone or a house? Punishment can take place only where there is consciousness on the part of the one suffering.

THE WICKED ARE TO BE PUNISHED.

Rom. 2:8, 9—“But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile.”

“Wrath” indicates the settled mind of God towards the persistently wicked (John 3:36); “indignation,” the outbreak of that wrath at the day of judgment; “tribulation,” severe affliction (Matt. 13:21; 24:9; Rev. 7:14); “anguish,” torturing confinement in a strait place without relief, as in a dungeon, or in stocks. God grant that we may never know what these terms fully mean.

Matt. 25:41, 46—“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment.”

2 Thess. 1:7-9—“When the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.”

See also Mark 9:43-50 which speaks of the wicked being cast into “hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.”

There are certain important words in these scriptures which demand our attention, and which we need to understand in order to get right views of the doctrine we are now considering. They are as follows:

1. “Eternal”

We read of “eternal” or “everlasting” punishment, “everlasting” fire. It is objected that the word “eternal” or “everlasting” does not mean “forever.” This may be true. But we are all willing to admit that when this word qualifies the condition of the righteous it means for ever, without end, e. g., the righteous shall go “into life eternal.” The same word, however, qualifies the punishment of the wicked, e. g., “these shall go away into everlasting punishment.” Fairness demands that we make the joy of the righteous and the punishment of the wicked—both qualified as they are by the same Greek word—of the same duration. If there is an end to the reward of the righteous, there is also to the penalty of the wicked. The one lasts as long as the other. If “destruction” means annihilation, then there is no need of the word “eternal” to qualify it. Further the Scriptures present the punishment of the wicked not only as “eternal” (or age-long) but as enduring “for ever and ever,” or “unto the ages of the ages” (Rev. 19:3; 20:10; 14:11, rv). Here is a picture of ages tumbling upon ages in eternal succession.

2. “Punishment”

The meaning of this word will be found under the previous division dealing with the subject of annihilation.

3. “Fire”

This is one of the most constant images under which the torment and misery of the wicked is represented. Fire is a symbol of the divine judgment of wrath (Matt. 5:22). In Matthew 3:10 the godless are represented as a tree hewn down and cast into the fire; in 3:12 the chaff (godless) is burned with unquenchable fire; in 13:42 the wicked are said to be cast into a furnace of fire.

Is the “fire” spoken of here literal fire? It is an accepted law of language that a figure of speech is less intense than the reality. If “fire” is merely a figurative expression, it must stand for some great reality, and if the reality is more intense than the figure, what an awful thing the punishment symbolized by fire must be.

It is contended that fire must necessarily consume; that nothing could continue to exist in fire. Is it not remarkable that the Baptist uses the word “unquenchable” (Greek, asbestos) when speaking of this fire? Is any light thrown on the question by the incident of the three Hebrew children in the fiery furnace? Did they consume, or did they withstand the fire? (Dan. 3:27). In the parable of the tares (Matt. 13:36-43) our Lord speaks of the tares being burned up. When Christ retired to the house after delivering the parable, his disciples asked Him to explain to them what He meant by the figures of speech He used in the parable. This request He granted. He explained the figurative language of the parable; every figurative word in it except that of “fire.” He said: “The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; the enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire, so shall it be at the end of this world.

And they shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.” Why did not the Master explain what he meant by the figurative word “fire”? He explained all the other figurative words, why not this one? Did He forget? Or did He intend that His disciples should have the impression that He was speaking of literal fire? Here was His opportunity to explain His use of words, for the disciples were asking for just that very thing. Was there any significance in the fact that Jesus did not explain the word “fire”? Whether we believe in literal fire or not, we certainly ought to ask for a reason for the Master’s failure to literalize the figurative word “fire.”

4. “Darkness”

This word is used to describe the condition of the lost: “Cast into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” Seven times these terms are found together: Matt. 8:12; 13:42, 50; 22:13; 24:51; 25:30; Luke 13:28. The picture is that of a banquet which was usually held at night. The wicked are thrust out from the light, joy, and festivity into the darkness and gloom without, as into the remote gloom and anguish of a dungeon in which are found agony, wrath, and despair. Is this a description of hell—absence of spiritual light; separation from the company of the saved; lamentation; impotent rage?

(The Great Doctrines Of The Bible)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement