Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » One thing that makes me cringe ...

Author Topic: One thing that makes me cringe ...
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among the English Bibles, I just about only read the KJV, because it's mostly excellent in rendering the underlying Hebrew and Greek into English, but also because the KJV has the most study resources attached to it like Strong's Concordance and The Englishman's Concordances.

But while I'm reading the KJV, I've become so accustomed to converting the "thee" and "thy" and "thou" into modern English that it takes no effort at all any more to do it.

Also when I use KJV verses in forums like this bbs, I also take the timem to convert all the "thee" and "thy" and "thou" into modern English, and I'm sure the Lord appreciates the extra effort and blesses me for it.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
I prefer the King James Version especially in Church. I study other versions but my main one is the KJV. I doubt the Pastor reading the KJV is going to keep anyone from getting saved. Americans don't get saved because they don't understand the Bible but because they are too prideful to seek God and His forgiveness.
betty

yeah, I like reading the KJV mainly but I do study with NIV as well, oh and the NASB.

I think the King James Tudor is beautiful though.

My husband has a co-worker that had never read any Bible at all...and we gave him a copy of the NASB, he read it all the way through! He has truly been changed also praise God!

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the King James Version especially in Church. I study other versions but my main one is the KJV. I doubt the Pastor reading the KJV is going to keep anyone from getting saved. Americans don't get saved because they don't understand the Bible but because they are too prideful to seek God and His forgiveness.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't dispute the KJV's accuracy, I rather like it best when doing my reading although I do have the NIV as well, and I have found some verses in the NIV that have "left out" some key information.

It is just funny that he prays in Tudor, probably not even realizing he does it.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually its more accurate than the modern English translations:

quote:

Those Thee's And Thou's

"And thou shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth: and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what ye shall do." (Exodus 4:15)

These words of God, spoken to Moses concerning the mission he and his brother Aaron were to undertake at Pharaoh's palace are one of numerous examples in Scripture where the King James translation uses several different forms of the second-person pronoun. In this one verse, we see the words "thou," "thy," "you," and "ye," all fulfilling this function. Most modern translations would translate this sentence: "You shall speak to him ...and I will be with your mouth,... and will teach you what you shall do." Why would the King James translators use four different forms of the pronoun when only "you" and "your" are used in modem versions?

The fact is that the Elizabethan-age English was able to make much finer distinctions than modem English. That is, "thou," "thee," "thy," and "thine," were used for the second person singular, whereas "ye," "you," "your," and "yours" were the corresponding words for the plural. Different words also were used for subject, object, and possessive modifier, as is still true for first and third-person pronouns.

In our text, God was telling Moses that he (Moses) was to speak to Aaron, and that He (God) would then teach both of them, not just Moses, what they were to do. This distinction is clear in the King James English, but not in modern English. This is one of numerous examples where such fine points in the King James language are lost in modern translations.

In the Lord's Prayer, for example, "Yours is the kingdom" could suggest that many will possess the kingdom, where "thine is the kingdom" clearly recognizes one God alone. Clear words are important for clear meanings, and Jesus said, "My words shall not pass away" (Matthew 24:35). HMM

--From Days of Praise, Henry M. Morris. Editor

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
I don't cringe about a lot of stuff in life, but one thing that does make me cringe is when supposedly educated preachers, teachers, pastors, and evangelists repeat the King James Tudor English just as it is, without updating the English to the way we speak in the 21st century.

What is an unbeliever to think when "we can't even speak proper English"? Won't they say, What on earth does "thee", "thy" and "thou" mean? Those stupid Christians can't even speak proper English!!!

And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing.

And how easy it would be for preachers, teachers, pastors and evangelists to just "update the English" of the verses as they read and teach the verses, it's so easy to do!!!'

Genesis 12:2
And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing.

And what REALLY galls me is that some Christians and also nonChristians0 think that "thee, thou, and thy" is SOMEHOW MORE HOLY THAN "you and your".

And in the meantime souls are being lost ... ouch!

love, Eden

Funny that you posted about this, my father-in-law prays in Tudor English! My husband never truly noticed it until recent years...he gets a chuckle about it.
He said, why does he do that I wonder? I said I don't know, but don't dare ask him. [Big Grin]

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a lot more heart-warming than to make fun of a broken home just because you come from a home that was not broken.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Your Christian love is heart-warming, WildB.

(Repent!)

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

I don't cringe about a lot of stuff in life, but one thing that does make me cringe is when supposedly educated preachers, teachers, pastors, and evangelists repeat the King James Tudor English just as it is, without updating the English to the way we speak in the 21st century.

What is an unbeliever to think when "we can't even speak proper English"? Won't they say, What on earth does "thee", "thy" and "thou" mean? Those stupid Christians can't even speak proper English!!!

And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing.

And how easy it would be for preachers, teachers, pastors and evangelists to just "update the English" of the verses as they read and teach the verses, it's so easy to do!!!'

And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you, and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing.

And what REALLY galls me is that some Christians and also nonChristians0 think that "thee, thou, and thy" is SOMEHOW MORE HOLY THAN "you and your".

And in the meantime souls are being lost ... ouch!

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement