Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Humans In The Image Of God

Author Topic: Humans In The Image Of God
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe you're right Botham. We become more sensitive to sin. We become more aware of good also.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
botham
Advanced Member
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for botham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Carol and Eden--I know it is difficult for some people to discuss the sordid topic of abortion but I think the killing of God's most innocent might help us to decide whether we are presently, post Adam and Eve, formed in God's image.

I remember a time when I could not have cared less about the unborn and I would certainly have taken a pro-choice postion if I bothered to make a comment. Now I have a sense of revulsion even thinking about abortion except for the Truth that I know God has taken every precious soul back to Himself.

What makes this terrible act so revolting to s true believer? Is it not that God has changed the very fundamentals of our view on issues such as abortion by placing the Spirit of Truth in our hearts on the basis of accepting His Son Jesus Christ?

We know in our new hearts of flesh that these innocents hold within their tiny life, a yearning to be expressed in full, first through cellular life and DNA, and then as a living soul with the Spark of God's spirit ready to be kindled by accepting Jesus Christ at a time of accountability. In my view this new outlook as to the value of God's created beings is a proof of the Holy Spirit's leading. All persons, from the newly forming life in the womb to the most world scarred, mutilated shell of humanity, are seen through God's eyes as worth the Blood of His Son.

It must be, in my humble opinion, becuase we sense the image of God through our new eyes. God bless, Botham

Posts: 103 | From: canada | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As in, "Part 2: Restoring the Image" ?

[Cross] ********** [Cross] ********** [Cross] **********

God created us in his image. Surely this must have something to do with why we are here. His purpose in making us must have something wonderful to do with the fact that we are not frogs or lizards or birds or even monkeys. We are human beings in the image of God, we alone and no other animal.

But what a mess we have made of this awesome dignity. Are we like God? Well, yes and no. Yes, we are like God, even sinful and unbelieving there is a likeness. We know this because in Genesis 9:6 God said to Noah, "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for God made man in his own image." In other words, even in a world where sin abounds (with the likes of murder) human beings are still in the image of God. They may not be killed like mice and mosquitoes. You forfeit your life if you murder a human being. (See James 3:9)

But are we the image God made us to be? Is not the image marred sometimes almost beyond recognition? Do you feel that you are like God in the way you should be? So here again the belief that we were created in God's image begs for a completion — in this case a redemption, a transformation, a kind of re-creation. And that is exactly what Christianity brings. "By grace are you saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God — not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works...Put on the new nature created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness" (Eph. 2:8-10; 4:24). God created us in His image, but we have marred it almost beyond recognition and Jesus is the answer. He comes by faith, He forgives, He cleanses, and He begins a reclamation project called sanctification that will end in the glory that God intended for human beings in the first place. Therefore since we know that we were created in the image of God, our sin and corruption beg for an answer. And Jesus is the answer.

John Piper http://www.soundofgrace.com/piper89/5-14-89.htm

James 3 (NLT)
7 People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, 8 but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. 9 Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God .

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article posted by Carol Swenson said
quote:
Although humans were created to be God-like, we are now sinful and unlike God in our morality (Rom. 3:10, 23). Nevertheless, we are still considered to be in God's image (Gen. 9:6; Jam. 3:9).
Genesis 9
6 Whoso sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made He man.

James 3
9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, who are made after the similitude of God.

It is true that men were made in the image and likeness of God in the beginning, BEFORE Adam and Eved sinned in the garden.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him ...

But after Adam and Eve were driven from the garden, Adam and Eve began to produce children made in their OWN image:

Genesis 5:3
And Adam lived a 130 years and begot a son in his own likeness and after his image; and called his name Seth.

After Adam and Eve sinned, they began to produce children "after in their own image". For this reason, the "image of God needs to be restored in Christians":

Romans 8:29
For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Galatians 4:19
My little children, of whom I travail in birth again, until Christ be formed in you.

From being in Adam and Eve's image, the image and likeness of God needs to be RESTORED in us, and that will happen when we are glorified:

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, but it does not yet appear what we shall be; but we know that when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.

Hebrews 1:3
Who, being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person ... sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.

Colossians 2:9
For in Him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

To repeat what the article posted by Carol Swenson said
quote:
Although humans were created to be God-like, we are now sinful and unlike God in our morality (Rom. 3:10, 23). Nevertheless, we are still considered to be in God's image (Gen. 9:6; Jam. 3:9).
Not so. We need to be RESTORED to that image.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His creation is awesome!

I have often pondered how the universe may be a reflection of God as well.

God is beautiful in ways we can’t begin to fully comprehend.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
back to our original image, which was the image of God himself.
Exactly! You understand!

quote:
Jesus Christ is truly amazing for what he did for us and may his name be exalted above all the mountains and the very clouds!
AMEN! [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

Speaking of mountains and clouds, when we learn about the universe, and the Earth, and even a single living cell...Oh! He is so awesome! His creation is awesome!

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, we must truly strive to attain the perfect image of God.

Because of what Jesus Christ did at the cross our sins are made of none effect – the blood of Christ covering us wholly.

Because of Christ’s sacrifice, the Holy Spirit now has the ability to enter our lives and begin to transform us – reprogramming us, if you will – back to our original image, which was the image of God himself.

Jesus Christ is truly amazing for what he did for us and may his name be exalted above all the mountains and the very clouds!

Amen!

This was a Great post, Carol.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans In The Image Of God

God created the first humans in the image of God, in the likeness of God (Gen 1:26-30). What does the "image of God" mean? In what way are we humans different than animals, and in what way are we like God? How has sin affected the image? Is this image relevant to Christian growth, sanctification and the ministry of the church?

I believe that the image of God refers primarily to humanity's moral capacities. Other theories about the image focus on a limited aspect of morality. Although sin has reduced our moral abilities, they remain in potential, and Christians conform to God's image as the Holy Spirit restores their moral capacities. Since the image of God has ethical implications, the church ministers to both physical and spiritual needs.

This paper addresses three topics: 1) What is the image of God that sinful humanity now has? 2) What is the image that Christians are to become? and 3) How does the church assist in this transformation?

Part 1: The Image of God

Thesis: The image of God refers to intellectual and relational abilities not found in animals —- the ability to think and reason, specifically to make moral decisions. Our ability has been corrupted by sin, but humans still have the potential for morality.

Humans were made in the "image" and "likeness" of God (Gen 1:26). These two terms have similar meaning and will be used interchangeably in this paper.1 But animals were not made in God's image.2 Philip Hughes summarizes our uniqueness: "Man, whatever his affinities with the animal realm, is radically distinguished from all other earthly creatures by the fact that he alone has been created in the divine image and is intended by constitution to be a godly creature."3

Although humans were created to be God-like, we are now sinful and unlike God in our morality (Rom. 3:10, 23). Nevertheless, we are still considered to be in God's image (Gen. 9:6; Jam. 3:9). Four concepts have been proposed as this image:

1) Thomas Aquinas located the image in the human ability to think and reason, to use language and art, far surpassing the abilities of any animals.4

2) Leonard Verduin says that the image consists in our dominion over animals and plants, which continues despite our sinfulness.5

3) A "widely accepted interpretation" is that the "image" is our ability to make moral decisions, which involve self-awareness and social awareness.6

4) Emil Brunner says that it is our ability to have a relationship with God, reflected in the tendency of all societies to have forms of worship.7

These four are inter-related, but it seems that concept 3 is dominant. Our rational abilities are not ends in themselves —- they enable us to make moral decisions, and our intellectual abilities are judged by morality. Morality also determines whether we are using dominion rightly and whether our relationships with God and humans are right.

Rationality and dominion help distinguish humans from animals, so they may be considered aspects of the image of God, but they do not constitute all that the image is. Rather, it is the purpose for which we use rationality and dominion that is of greater importance. People who have low intelligence and limited dominion are, if they love God and neighbor, closer to the desired image of God than a wicked genius dictator is. Mental skills and rulership are God-like only if they are used in a moral way. Morality is the standard by which thoughts and actions are judged, so I conclude that, although cognition and dominion are aspects of the divine image, morality is a more significant aspect.8

Aquinas' emphasis on mental abilities is too broad, and the focus on dominion is too narrow. Humans are not unique in ruling, and we conform to the image of Christ primarily by submitting to rule, not by ruling. The manner of our rule is far more important than the fact of our rule —- it is essential that we rule morally, in right relationship with God and other beings. Morality involves our relationships with other people, and also with the divine Person, but relationship in itself is not sufficient. The relative importance of morality and relationships will be further analyzed in the next section of this paper.

Part 2: Restoring the Image

Thesis: Jesus Christ is the perfect image of God. As we are re-created in his image, by his presence in us, we are being changed primarily in our morality —- in our relationships with other humans and with God.

Ever since the Fall, humans are corrupted morally. They are not like God in their morality, but yet they are still considered to be in God's image (Gen 9:6; Jam 3:9). This defect must be corrected, as shown in the next paragraph. Humans still have vestiges of moral potential. Even the natural human has a potential for morality —- all societies have some concept of right and wrong (Rom 2:15).

Jesus Christ is the perfect image of God (2 Cor 4:4; Col 1:15; Heb 1:3), and Christians must be conformed to his likeness (2 Cor 3:18; Gal 4:19; Eph 4:13; Col 3:10). Geoffrey Bromiley observes, "In Himself Christ already sums up all that humanity is to be.... He is a perfect representation of God to man."9 He is our perfect example.10 He is being formed in us and we are being conformed to his image. If we share in his humble estate in this life, we will share in his glory in the next age (Rom 8:29-30; 1 Cor 15:49; 1 John 3:2) —- existing more fully in his image.

In what way should we be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ? Jesus spoke about the morality of our thoughts, but he did not address rationality per se or the logic we use in forming conclusions. Although he took care of people's bodily needs, he did not indicate that health and wholeness were necessary for image completion. And he said more about subordination than about exercising dominion over animals and matter. Knowledge is important (Rom 10:2; Eph 4:13), but not all facts are of equal importance. Jesus said that we ought to understand the Scriptures, to discern which portions are most important, and to make behavioral decisions on that basis (e.g., Matt 23:23). We need to discern right from wrong behavior (Heb 5:14). Jesus' focus was on morality, which involves our relationships.

Karl Barth, noting that God is triune and that humans are male and female, argued that relationship is the divine image.11 Bromiley and Hughes point out that his conclusion is not explicitly provable from Gen 1.12 Nevertheless, interpersonal relationships are important, for they are the sphere in which morality is manifested. They are a prominent part of Jesus' teaching and one of the ways in which we must become more Christ-like. Jesus advocated emotions such as love (an interpersonal attitude) and faith (an interaction with God).

Emil Brunner focused on our relationship with God.13 This potential is a reflection of what God is, but it is misleading to isolate this as the only way in which humans are like God. Atheists are made in the image of God, so we can see that the image is not dependent on a right relationship. Moreover, all creation has a relationship with God, but not all creatures are made in God's image.

A right relationship with God leads to changes in our understanding of right and wrong behavior and to changes in our relationships with other humans. As we are being transformed more completely into the image of Christ, it is essential that we have a relationship with God. But the image of God has important practical implications, such as the necessity to avoid murder and hatred (Gen 9:6; Jam 3:9; 1 Jo 4:20). We must not neglect the practical way in which the image of God expresses itself, and that is in terms of our morality —- our relationships with others. Indeed, these relationships give us experiences that help us understand our relationship with God. The quality of all our relationships is judged by morality, which again shows the priority of morality. Relationships are very important, since they are the sphere in which morality is exercised.

Part 3: Ministering to the Image of God

Thesis: The church should assist with the needs of every aspect of humanity: physical needs, knowledge and emotional needs involved in making moral decisions, and relational needs in society and with God.

Ephesians 4:12-13 summarizes some basic functions of the church: preparing God's people for works of service, and working toward unity in faith and the knowledge of Christ and maturity in him. Physical service, education, social needs and worship are all within the responsibility of the church.

Physical needs are important. Just as all humans have the duty to avoid bodily harm and cursing because of the image of God (Gen 9:6; Jam 3:9), Christians have the duty to take positive actions for others.14 The church not only teaches Christians to perform physical works of service that help the needy (Jam 2:15-17; Matt 25:31-46; Gal 6:10), it also sets an example of ministering to physical needs, as Jesus did. The church teaches social responsibility and morality to all who are being transformed into the image of Christ. It is often our failures in social areas that help us realize that our relationship with God is in need of repair.

The church preaches a message of reconciliation with God, which is a result of faith in Christ as Savior. Cognition and emotion work together to produce the faith-decision of the will —- whether to believe (cognitive) and trust (emotive). The church teaches about God and Christ and exhorts people to accept the relationship with God that is offered through Christ and the Spirit. And a love-based relationship with God, in turn, carries with it obligations regarding our relationship with other humans. Theology leads to ethics.

Christianity interrelates all aspects of humanity —- worship, social obligations, rational decisions, and physical assistance. The church teaches relationship with God, faith in him, love for him, holy living (Jam 1:27; Heb 5:14; 1 Jo 3:1-3; 5:2), and love for other humans, a love that leads to practical service (Jam 1:27; Heb 10:25). The church teaches the proper use of dominion, rationality, creativity, and personality.

Conclusion

We are made in God's image, but the potential value of this image will not be realized unless we become conformed to the image of Christ in our morality. To be living in God's image, we must be in a right (i.e., moral) relationship with God and with other humans, using our minds and our authority to serve God and our fellow humans. This is what it means to be in the image of God and conformed to the perfect image, his Son.

Endnotes

1 These terms are used interchangeably in Gen 1:27; 5:1; 5:3; 9:6; they are used in Gen 1:26 as synonyms in a typical Hebrew poetic parallel (Philip Edgcumbe Hughes, The True Image: The Origin and Destiny of Man in Christ. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989, p. 7).

2 Animals could be killed, but humans were not to be killed because they were made in the image of God (Gen 9:3, 6). Adam could not find any animal suitable as a companion (Gen 2:20), and humans were given rulership over animals (Gen 1:26-30).

3 Hughes, p. 7. Humanity's similarities with animals include the fact that both are living nepheshes made of the earth, dependent on the breath of life (Gen 2:7, 19; 7:15). These material similarities with animals suggest that the image of God is not to be found in our matter, including shape or posture. Humans are in the image of God even if they are deformed.

4 Thomas Aquinas. "Man to the Image of God," in Millard Erickson, editor, Readings in Christian Theology, Volume 2: Man's Need and God's Gift, Grand Rapids: Baker, 1976, pp. 37-43.

5 Leonard Verduin. "A Dominion-Haver," in Erickson, pages 55-74.

6 G.W. Bromiley. "Image of God," in G.W. Bromiley, editor, International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, vol. 2. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1988, p. 804.

7 Emil, Brunner. "Man and Creation," in Erickson, pages 45-54.

8 Gen 1:26 implies that the image of God is a qualitative rather than quantitative distinction. We are distinctly different than animals —- not just more intelligent than apes and not just able to rule more of creation than elephants can. Some aspects of cognition and dominion are merely quantitative, which again suggests that they are not definitive of the image of God.

9 Bromiley, p. 805. The metaphor of image is again paralleled by the metaphor of sonship, in that Christ is the Son in its fullest sense.

10 Christ is more than an example, since he is the One who empowers the transformation we need and rectifies our failures along the way.

11 Bromiley, p. 804.

12 Bromiley (p. 804) and Hughes (pp. 18-20) point out that animals are created male and female, and that sexuality is not necessary for image-bearing. Moreover, humans are not the only social animals, so this is a quantitative rather than a qualitative difference.

13 Brunner, pp. 45-54.

14 The practical implications of the image of God were seen by Tyndale and Latimer, who argued that it was more important to serve the needs of the living images of God than to give money to the church for dead images (Hughes, p. 21).

Michael Morrison http://www.wcg.org/lit/gospel/imagegod.htm

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement