Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Where do we Christians go when we die? To heaven?

Author Topic: Where do we Christians go when we die? To heaven?
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

I believe the moment I take my last breathe I will be with Christ.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, to anticipate one possible response to this Topic, the Bible does also say this:

2 Corinthians 5:6
Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:9
Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

In the above verses, the Apostle Paul does seem to say that when we Christians are absent from the body, we are present with the Lord.

However, the above are only 3 verses, while there are many, many verses which state that we remain asleep until the coming of the Lord.

I follow this rule of study. I agree with the position which has the vast majority of verses supporting it, which in the case of this Topic is that we remain asleep until the Lord comes and that we don't know anything while we are asleep in darkness, waiting for the resurrection.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, mathews, you wrote
quote:
Hi Eden. Todays posting is what I thought few days ago. Now i believe that. God interven your mind and guided you to put this message.I was really Praying for this matter. I wanted to Know more about what happened for us once we die.
Dear mathews ... wow, that is amazing, God is good and He can see everything that's happening on earth and guide us to the next step by His Holy Spirit which tells our spirit:

Romans 8:16
The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.

Ephesians 2:18
For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.

It's amazing that you were just thinking about this subject.

Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things (all the things that you desire and are trying to get), shall be added to you, shall be provided to you, shall be made to happen for you.

For whatsoever the devil meant for bad, God will turn to good, nay, God will turn it to even better than before the devil started messing with it, just to make the devil mad as a hornet.

love, be blessed, let me know when the mail I sent arrives.

Eden

mathews
Advanced Member
Member # 7873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Eden
Hi Eden. Todays posting is what I thought few days ago. Now i believe that. God interven your mind and guided you to put this message.I was really Praying for this matter. I wanted to Know more about what happened for us once we die.
Let me cut short with love and prayers
mathews

--------------------
mathews

Posts: 23 | From: U A E | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

The Bible says the following about the dead:

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 3:20
All go to one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

Psalm 30:9
What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise You? Shall it declare Your truth?

Job 17:13
If I wait, the grave is my house: I have made my bed in the darkness.

Psalm 143:3
For the enemy has persecuted my soul; he has smitten my life down to the ground; he has made me to dwell in darkness, as those that have been long dead.

Psalm 146:3-4
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

4 His breath goes forth, he returns to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

In the Bible, the word sleep refers to being dead, as shown below:

Psalm 13
3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

Job 7
21 And why do You not pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity? For now shall I sleep in the dust; and You shall seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.

1 Corinthians 15
20 But now is Christ risen from the dead and become the firstfruits of them who slept.

1 Kings 11
43 And Solomon slept with his fathers and was buried in the city of his father David.

When the resurrection comes, we who are asleep or dead shall be raised:

1 Corinthians 15
51 Behold, I show you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
53 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4
13 But I would not have you be ignorant, brethren, concerning them who are asleep, that you sorrow not, even as others who have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also who sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain to the coming of the Lord, shall not prevent them who are asleep.

16 For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.

17 Then we who are alive {comment: alive on earth at that time} and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

So here we see that everyone remains asleep or dead until the coming of the Lord (1 Thess. 4:15 above). And earlier we saw that the dead don’t know anything and that very day their thoughts perish. They are asleep in Jesus or dead until the coming of the Lord and the resurrection.

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement