Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A day is as a thousand years ...?

Author Topic: A day is as a thousand years ...?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper25 wrote to Eden
quote:
yes three hours long, but how shall it take away strength from the analogy of Peter? Think about it, The Almigthy God, 1000 years is as a watch in the night.
Well, if a thousand years can also be "as a 3-hour watch", then in a 24-hour day there would be 8 watches, so that "a day would then be as 8 x 1,000 years, or "a day equals 8,000 years".

And you know how Christians may say that God worked for 6 days and on the 7th day God rested and that if "a day equals 1,000 years", then thus far 6 days have passed since Adam, or "6,000 years" and we are about to enter the 7th day of rest of the "7,000-year" period since Adam.

But if instead we used the 3-hour watch as the 1,000-year measure, then a day is worth 8,000 years, so that after 6 days we would be 6 x 8,000 years = 48,000 years since Adam. That was my point.

But I do recognize that the Holy Spirit prompted Peter to use the "day is as 1,000 years" formula, and not the 3-hour watch formula, but the fact stands that a day is said to be worth 1,000 years and a 3-hour watch is said to be worth 1,000 years, and that cheapens the ability to use the formula to substantiate other things, as Peter did.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes three hours long, but how shall it take away strength from the analogy of Peter? Think about it, The Almigthy God, 1000 years is as a watch in the night. This is a display of the infinate God who can stare a 1000 years in the future, and it only be as nothing but a tiny watch in the night! Time has absolutly no bound on the infinate God. Think about it Eden, Let's look at some applications shall we?

"And if He shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, blessed are those servants"

The Transcendence of God's watch

Notice Eden, the word "in", this means that anytime, at any moment in that time God can come. Think about this Eden, "a thousand years". Eden, will you and I live a thousand years in this life time before the hands of death grasp its fingers upon us? I think not. Thus God's watch is much bigger than the span of our entire life. So what this means is that each day, and every day we are to be watching, and stand ready, and girt our lions, the lions of our minds to be ready for the coming of Christ. Each day keeping in mind that our Lord shall come in His Glory to recompense the ungodly, but also to usher in a new a new age.

Failing to Watch

Each day we are to be careful to not drift away from being watchful, (Luke 21:34) "take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares." In other words, you will certainly be caught unawares of my coming if you are overcharged with the temporal things that are of this world". O Woe on to those that are caught in a state of obscurity and have not their minds fixed on the eternal, but rather letting the worries, the cares, the pleasures of this temporal speck of dust that shall be removed. As it is written (Issiah 51:6) "Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment". Those that watch not during God's watch, shall be cut off at His coming, and cast into damnation. This includes the great majority of people who have confessd Christ with their lips, yet are sleeping in spirit, hating Christ with their lives. Following iniquity and the ditch's edge, playing around it, until that day they fall in! As it is written (Proverbs 11:19) "he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death."

Luk 12:45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;

Luk 12:46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.

The Posioned Servant

About those that watch not, notice the word "servant", and now look at that servant's actions he chose. Relativisim is the venom that was the spark for the human race departing from God during Adam and Eve's time: it has deafened the ears, defiled a generation, and is the basis of conformity to the world which lies in wickedness and what its techings center on. That servant had the "well this seems right in my eyes" mentality. How many people, who are just playing Christian, are stuck in the confines and snare of this mentality that renders and avails to the pride in the heart of a man! How often does Relativisim give way to and keep one trusting in the arm of flesh rather then the arm of the Lord! My bible says (Jeremiah 17:5) "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD." I say this truly, that as long as a man is imprisioned, enslaved to relativism rather than the conformity to God's will and submission to Christ, they shall be trusting in the arm of the flesh rather then God. Just like Isreal, (Jer 2:13) "they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water." They are subjected to vanity and need God to loose them from that thinking. How important is it to watch for our God!

The Surprise of Judgement.

I say this observation also about Luke 12:46, Look at this, "The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him". First, the word "will" indicates certainty, and not probability of this circumstance happening to the wicked servant. His lord's coming was specifically and purposely in the time frame when that servant was not on his watch for his lord. Well, it looks like when God came during that certain watch of 1000 years, he came in his wrath and indignation. Eden, think of a falsh flood, its quick and powerful, sweeps away those caught by surprise: likewise when God comes in the fire of His anger; when God stepping out from a 1000 year watch, so also shall that wicked servant be stunned, caught off gaurd, and not be able to stand.

There are more applications than just these, but for now in conclusion; a thousand years Eden, God's watch is bigger then the oldest person on the face of this earth. Seeing that God's watch last the span of a 1000 years, which is longer then our lives on earth, even if we live 120 years, we ourselves as they who wait for him, need to watch our entire lives! Thus the analogy of Peter stands very strong.

Note: Remember Eden, the verses of the bible hold an extremely large meaning behind them. Don't just look at the surface and say "Kind of takes some of the strength out of the analogy made by Peter" nor come to that conclusion about any text because a man can find great tresure if he digs. Let God open your mind to chew the verses and see their depth.

In Jesus name,
Love Daniel

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, Copper25, it is probable that a night was divided into four 3-hour watches, for a total of 12 hours:

Luke 12:38
And if He shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.

So a watch would apparently be 3 hours long, so that in addition to a day, Psalm also compared a 3-hour watch to a thousand years:

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in Your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Kind of takes some of the strength out of the analogy made by Peter, doesn't it?

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

love, Eden

Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, Look at Jesus in Gethsemane

Mat 26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

Mat 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Mat 26:40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

Thats 1

Mat 26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Mat 26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

Mat 26:43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

Mat 26:44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

that's 2 hours

Mat 26:45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

That is a total of 3 hours at least. A watch in the night is at least three hours of sleep sacraficed for prayer.

So 3 is the absolute lowest, according to the scripture.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The notion that a day is as a thousand years is apparently derived from:

For a thousand years in Your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

But I wondered why the second part of Psalm 90:4 is "conveniently ignored":

What? A thousand years are s a watch in the night? How long was a watch? 12 hours, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.? So, uhh, is a thousand years also "just 12 hours"?

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement