Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is tithing and giving to the poor the same thing?

Author Topic: Is tithing and giving to the poor the same thing?
jean123
Advanced Member
Member # 7855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please forgive me! I did not mean you do that always.Please do not take what I wrote out of content.and you do not have to buy new stuff either.Please rememeber i am only trying to give suggestions.around here we will give money also but I do not have money like that.I am a widow and lost everything after i lost my husband.but i found Jesus and He is all I need. AND I will give the clothes on my back to someone who needs it.THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jean123 wrote,
quote:
You do not have to give them money!You can always go buy what they need.For example... food, clothes,and a bible.
Dear jean123, these people are sitting on the street, in the evening, alone or in twos or in threes or more, sharing a laugh and a cigarette or whatever they have in hand, and I come by on the sidewalk, jogging or walking.

So let's say I come along in the evening during my jog and there's a group of three street people sitting on the sidewalk. They're not sitting on clean chair or on a clean sofa.

So,what? Am I going to say to them, "hold on, now, you guys sit right here and I'm going to jog to Macy's or JC Penny's and buy each of you some fresh clothes."

But I had only brought the $8 or so that I usually bring to give out on the street each time I jog. It's dark outside, am I going to first jog to the ATM of my own bank to avoid the ATM fee, and then run back and go into JC Penny's and buy $40 of fresh clothes ...?

There are 3 street people, so it would not be right to bring clothes for just one, I'd have to bring clothes for all 3. And what if they were gone by the time I finally made it back to where they were sitting earlier?

To repeat what you wrote, jean123,
quote:
You do not have to give them money!You can always go buy what they need. For example ... food, clothes,and a bible.
Therefore, I think it makes much more sense to hand a dollar to each street person, and I may say, "Read the Bible" or "I'm doing this because of what Jesus has done in my life", or I may just say "Jesus", or I may say, God bless you brothers, have fun".

They all know me now and I have access whereas I would have had no access before. And oh how they appreciate receiving a few dollars.

Now, I don't have a lot of money, I have $9,000 saved up, but I've worked my way up to take five $1 and one $5 "to one lucky person", to give away on the street.

As I have stated before, I have also asked God to give me a lot of money so that I can hand out $10s and $20s, and one $50 "to one lucky person", every time I go jogging.

Now, I don't know about your hometown, but no one is handing out anything like that in my hometown. And it would probably even bring media attention and access. Do you see how God could use that? If

I hadn't started originally with giving away two $1s, having faith in God's word that "he who lends to the poor lends unto the LORD", and having worked my way up now to about $8 or $10 each time, I would never be able to do the $10s and $20s and one $50 later, do you see what I mean?

It reminds me of the Christian woman who was robbed and she was able to gladly give the robber all her money because she had been giving much of her money freely for years before she was robbed, and it was just like alms-giving to her?

Acts 10:2
{Cornelius), a devout man, and one who feared God with all his house, who gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.

Acts 10:31
And {the angel} said, Cornelius, your prayer is heard and your alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.

Jesus said:

Matthew 5:42
Give to him who asks you, and from him who would borrow from you, turn not yourself away.

Proverbs 22:9
He who has a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he gives of his bread to the poor.

Isaiah 25:4
For you have been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.

Psalm 41:1
Blessed is he who considers the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

Psalm 109:16
Because he remembered not to show mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.

Proverbs 19:17
He who has pity on the poor lends to the LORD; and that which he has given will He pay him again.

Proverbs 21:13
Whoso stops his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.

[So] give to him who asks of you, and from him who would borrow from you, turn not yourself away.

A dollar goes a long way these days ... "hey, brother, you got a little something to help me out?"

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathews
Advanced Member
Member # 7873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Eden
Twice i red your tithing the earning and giving to the poor. I understood the difference. I so the 4 chapter. I will read later. Eden please spend 8 dollar for my Book. I wanted to read slowly and comfortably

Let me cut short with love
mathews

--------------------
mathews

Posts: 23 | From: U A E | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mathews
Advanced Member
Member # 7873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mathews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Eden
I am unable to open your book. Let me try sometime later.I red titening and offering something to church. Please keep us always in your prayers.
Let me cut short with love and prayers
mathews

--------------------
mathews

Posts: 23 | From: U A E | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jean123
Advanced Member
Member # 7855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jean123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not have to give them money!You can always go buy what they need.For example... food, clothes,and a bible.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

MentorsRiddle wrote[quote]I know what the Bible says; but I don't think that's what God meant.[quote]I love that. Don't you think that if God wanted to add cross-examination of the recipient to His statement, that God would have done so?

God is only interested in whether you give, or not. In fact, I would not be surprised if God uses the people who are in trouble to SEE if you will give them something or not. God did not ask you to cross-examine them; He will deal with that part. Your part is only to give, or not give.

Give to him who asks you, and from him who would borrow from you, turn not away.

Also note that the alms giving of Cornelius came up as a memorial before the Lord:

Acts 10:4
And when he {Cornelius} looked on him (the angel), he was afraid and said, What is it, Lord? And he said to him, Your prayers and your alms are come up for a memorial before God.

Not his tithes, but his alms came up as a memorial before the Lord.

And what better opportunity to get a word in for Jesus for ONLY A BUCK! No cross-examination needed.

love, Eden

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what the bible says, but I don't think that is what God ment.

I will not contribute to them getting drunk and ending up worse because of me.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hello, MentorsRiddle, you wrote
quote:
Sometimes I do not, because I beleive these people will buy booze with the money I give them.

I work in a city and that is the only time I am approached -- when I am in the city.

I have given many times, and watch them walk right over to the liquor store and buy some booze.

I don't remember the scripture saying that we should be concerned what he or she is going to do with the money. That's between them and God.

God only asked us to give when we are asked, and from him who would borrow from you turn not away.

God rewards us for just being willing. He'll do the rest. And in any case, if I were in his or her shoes, would I also not go have a beer to relieve my stress? Probably so.

While jogging recently, I met a homeless blind man (one eye blown away by a gun and the other eye only has 5% sight left) and he walks with a blindman's cane on the streets.

And he has told me some of the horrors of being blind AND homeless. It is one thing to be homeless WITH eyesight and be able to see where one is going to sleep for the night; it is much more horrifying to be blind and trying to find a place. People are constantly stealing his stuff or threatening him to get at his SSI money...unbelievable.

Anyway, the young people on the streets are thankful for a few dollars too; I don't have a whole lot, but I KNOW they have less than me, that's for sure ...

Give to him or her who asks of you, and from him or her who would borrow from you, turn not away ...

love, Eden

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I do not, because I beleive these people will buy booze with the money I give them.

I work in a city and that is the only time I am approached -- when I am in the city.

I have given many times, and watch them walk right over to the liquor store and buy some booze.

I have actually given to some of them who don't ask.

You can usually tell what their intent is by trusting what God tells your heart.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Do you know who the poor people who are homeless and sleeping somewhere in your town at night? Do you give them something when a homeless person asks you for some money on the street:

Give to him who asks you and from him who would borrow of you, turn not away.

Luke 6:38
Give, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that you mete with all it shall be measured to you again.

Are you giving to whomever would ask of you? God could be testing your heart:

Psalm 11:5
The LORD tries the righteous: but the wicked and him who loves violence His soul hates.

Proverbs 17:3
The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD tries the hearts.

1 Thessalonians 2:4
But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God who tries our hearts.

Are you giving to whomever would ask of you?

love, Eden

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

I beleive it boils down to what God tells your heart -- as I beleive it may very well be different for all of us.

But, if I had to answer your question, I would say yes; giving to the poor is the same thing -- if not better [Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Eden
unregistered

Is tithing and giving to the poor the same thing? When we tithe our money at or to a particular church, a lot of the money goes to paying for church debts and services, and maybe some money goes to the poor also.

When I give directly to the poor on the street, is that the same thing as tithing?

But my question is, it tithing at the church the same as giving to the poor?

Matthew 26
10 When Jesus understood it, He said to them, Why do you trouble the woman? For she has wrought a good work on Me.

11 For you have the poor always with you; but Me you have not always.

Psalm 112:9
He has dispersed, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his horn shall be exalted with honor.

Proverbs 22:9
He who has a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he gives of his bread to the poor.

Today I intended to give away 5 loose U.S. dollars and one 5 dollar bill to the poor on the street, but I only ended up giving away 3 loose U.S. dollars.

But I found one U.S. dollar on the sidewalk on my way to the tourist section of my town, and then when I walked back to my car there was a 5 U.S. dollar bill on the sidewalk. I made 3 U.S. dollars today, praise the Lord. And last week it was a 20 U.S. dollar bill at the gas station.

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement