Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is a person saved once they say the sinners prayer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is a person saved once they say the sinners prayer?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
Deny ourselves, take up our crosses daily, and follow Christ.
When we deny ourselves, we take some of the time that we might otherwise use on ourselves, and we use that time for God, so that as good sons and daughters of God we "help in the Father's business":

Luke 2:49
And He said to them, How is it that you sought Me? Didn't you know that I must be about My Father's business?

As in any good family, God expects us to help out in the work of evangelization. There are many ways that we can do that.

1. We can give of our time and participate on a Bible Study Forum like this.

2. We can give alms to the poor and let them know that it is because of Jesus that we are given them alms.

3. We can go stand on the street corner and read audibly from the Bible to the crowd that passes.

4. We can go stand on the sidewalk and sing Christian songs to the crowd.

5. We can teach Sunday School.

6. We can pray for the unsaved.

7. We can go to Saudi Arabia as a missionary and preach Jesus to them on their streets.

So, Carol Swenson, will you be going to Saudi Arabia soon, or in which way are you helping advance the Father's business of evangelization? I know that you post Topics and answer posts, but what are you doing more than that, please?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deny ourselves, take up our crosses daily, and follow Christ .
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Yes, Carol Swenson, there are many aspects to the kingdom of God. One aspect is God showing favor to His Adopted Children so that they can live the promised abundant life "even now in this life", and another aspect of the kingdom of God is ministry.

It is in the heart of God that His Children should help Him in evangelizing and ministering to the world and preaching the message of reconciliation to God thru Jesus Christ.

Discipleship, teaching the Written Word of God, prayer for the unsaved, they are all in the heart of God and so the Spirit of God naturally guides the steps of a saved Christian to also witness and contribute what he can for the evangelization of the world.

But God also shows favor to His Adopted Children, just as God showed favor to Israel as long as Israel believed in the LORD. But ministry and discipleship are also in the heart of God and every Adopted Child of God "will hear about it" thru "a thousand Carol Swensons" (although I do personally want to compliment you on your resourcefulness, it's quite remarkable).

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Life in Christ: the Disciple’s Cross

Discipleship may be defined as abiding in Christ. To understand more fully your opportunity and responsibility as a disciple of Jesus, you can work through the simple exercise that follows.

A disciple of Christ is one who makes Christ the Lord of his or her life. Write Deny Self: Luke 9:23. Notice in this verse Jesus said we are to do three things: deny ourselves, take up our crosses daily, and follow Christ .

The first commitment of a disciple is to deny oneself. That does not mean to reject your identity but to renounce the self-centered life. Represent your life by drawing a circle. The empty circle represents clearing out all of self for Christ. You cannot be a disciple of Christ if you are not willing to deny self. Now read Luke 14:26. This verse simply means nothing can be more important to you than Christ. To commit yourself to self-denial, you will need to accept the lordship of Jesus.

The Circle: Abiding in Christ

If this circle represents your life, Christ should fill the entire circle. Write the word Christ in the circle. That means He is to have the priority in everything. The Christian life is simply Christ living in you. Write John 15.5 under the word Christ in the circle. What can you do without abiding in Christ? Nothing! Christ said He is the vine, and we are the branches. The branches are part of the vine. You are a part of Christ. He wants to live His life through you. Is this the kind of life you would like to have?

God has provided a way for Christ to be at the center of your life. This requires a second commitment. Jesus said everyone must “take up his cross daily” (Lk 9:23). To “deny” yourself is the negative side of becoming a disciple; to take up your cross is the positive side. Taking up your cross puts Christ in the center of your life. Write cross under deny. Write Luke 14:27 beside cross. Illustrate this point by drawing a large cross around the circle. Draw the outline of the cross so that the circle is in the center of the cross.

Jesus said you are to bear your cross daily (Lk 9:23). What is involved in bearing the cross? You move beyond denying yourself to taking up a redemptive ministry. The cross for Jesus meant giving Himself to redeem the world. You enter into His ministry by taking up your cross. Bearing your cross and serving others requires discipline. The cross is our analogy to illustrate the disciplines Jesus said a disciple should have to abide in Him and serve Him.

The Lower Part of the Vertical Bar: Word

The way to have Christ living in you is to have His Word in you. (Write word on the lower part of the vertical bar of the cross.) Write John 8:31-32 on the lower part of the vertical bar of the cross. The Word is food for you. You cannot grow unless you have a regular intake of the Word. You receive the Word in many ways: by listening to someone preach it, by reading it, by studying it, by memorizing it, by meditating on it, and by applying it. Making Christ Lord means that you want to study and meditate on the Word regularly. “To continue in the Word” also means to obey it. Write John 15:10 in the circle. To abide in Christ means to obey Him.

The Upper Part of the Vertical Bar: Prayer

A part of living in Christ is living in prayer. Write prayer on the upper part of the vertical bar of the cross. Write John 15:7 on the upper part of the vertical bar of the cross. If you abide in Christ and His Word abides in you, you can ask what you will and God will do it.

Notice the vertical bar of the cross points to the relationship between God and humans and the basic ways one communicates with God and He communicates with you.

The Right Part of the Crossbar: Fellowship

Living in Christ means that you will try to live in fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ. Write fellowship on the right crossbar. Write John 13:34-35 at the right on the crossbar. Jesus said that the way to show you are His disciple is to love one another. God has provided the ideal place for you to grow—His church. The church is not a building or an organization, although it uses both of these. A church is a body of believers who have covenanted together to carry out Christ’s ministry in the world. A committed Christian will stay in fellowship with a local body of believers. The church is the body of Christ. If you are living in Christ, you realize it is important to live in His body, the church.

The Left Crossbar: Witness

Living in Christ includes witnessing to others. Write witness on the left crossbar. Witnessing is sharing Christ with others. Write John 15:8 at the left on the crossbar. Jesus said that the way to show that you are His disciple is to bear much fruit. This always includes witnessing. Witnessing is the natural outgrowth of living in Christ. If you are living daily in the Word, praying in faith, and fellowshipping with God’s people, it becomes natural and normal to share with others the Christ who is living in your heart. Write Matthew 4:19 beside follow under deny and cross.

From Abiding in Christ to Fruit Bearing

If you live in Christ, you eventually will bear fruit. Fruit does not necessarily grow quickly; but it grows continually and bears in season. Fruit bearing is the normal, natural result of a life that has Christ at the center. Our lives in Christ should continue to grow and expand. Fruit bearing includes the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith fulness, gentleness, and self-control (Gal 5:22-23). As the fruit of the Spirit grows in your life, you reach out to others through ministry and service of all kinds.

Add pointed arrows to the ends of the crossbars. They symbolize that our fruit bearing should express itself in ministries.

Living in the Word leads to a ministry of teaching or preaching. Write Ministry of Teaching or Preaching at the bottom of the cross.

Praying in faith will lead to a ministry of worship or intercession. Write Ministry of Worship or Intercession above the cross.

Fellowshipping with believers leads to a ministry of nurture to members of the church. Write Ministry of Nurture to the right of the cross.

Witnessing to the world leads to a ministry of evangelism. Write Ministry of Evangelism to the left of the cross.

Our witness and our fellowship involves Christian service to other people. Write Ministry of Service, John 15:13, above the horizontal bar.

These ministry areas comprise the ministry of a disciple and of Christ’s church.

The goal in discipleship is expressed in 2 Timothy 2:21. You need to grow in all spiritual disciplines and ministries to master life and to be prepared for the Master’s use. If you develop all of these disciplines, your life will be balanced and fruitful.

One way to remember this illustration is:

• One Lord as the first priority of your life.

• Two relationships: The vertical relationship with God and the horizontal relationship with mankind.

• Three commitments: Deny self, take up your cross, and follow Christ daily.

• Four disciplines: Living in the Word, praying in faith, fellowshipping with believers, and witnessing to the world.

• Five ministry areas: A ministry of teaching/preaching, a ministry of nurture, a ministry of worship/intercession, a ministry of evangelism, and a ministry of service.

(Disciple’s Study Bible)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Carol Swenson wrote to Found in Him (in reference to Eden's posts)
quote:
Right on Found in Him -- The Holy Spirit Glorifies Christ -- NOT US
Yes, the Holy Spirit is given to us so that we may learn more of who Jesus is, but the Holy Spirit is also given to us to lead us into all truth.

And we need the Holy Spirit to lead the abundant life, in every detail of our life, as Jesus guides our life through the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is glorified when we listen to Him through the Holy Spirit and when we do and say what Jesus tells us to do and say at any given moment.

As a descendant from Adam and Eve, I can only see part of reality, but Jesus in heaven can see it all; therefore a smart Christian learns that it is a lot smarter to let Jesus guide his life from heaven thru the Holy Spirit than to try to guide his own life.

This is NOT QUIETISM--this is A MOST ACTIVE LIFE THAT FINALLY WORKS because Jesus is directing this life from heaven. Thank You, Jesus!!!, for guiding my steps until I'm glorified!

Matthew 4:4
But He said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.

This phrase, "every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God" does not just refer to the words in the Bible, but refers to God Jesus who directs every step of our life with His Words from heaven, and therein is God Jesus glorified.

The Good Shepherd guides His sheep and leads them beside quiet waters and into green pastures, hello? His sheep live the abundant life that Satan had stolen from them with his miserly ways. And will you now steal it from me too?

Psalm 73:24
You shall guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Right on Found in Him [thumbsup2]

The Holy Spirit Glorifies Christ

NOT US

The Spirit glorifies Christ by revealing His majesty and glory in Scripture and by producing Christ centered lives in believers. A life that is focused on knowing, loving, obeying, and serving Christ brings honor to Him by placing His characteristics on display to the watching world (Matt. 5:16).

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If one does not know The Author of The Word of God...How can they possibly understand Truth?

3"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. (John 17:3)

We must humble ourselves at the cross.. receive intimately the love and forgiveness that only Christ can provide to become God's child and be filled with The Spirit of Truth.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

You do not rightly divide the Word.

Eden
unregistered

Found in Him wrote to Eden
quote:
Jesus said not a word about "moment to moment living" ...
Oh really? There are many scriptures that the LORD will guide our steps until death.

Psalm 48:14
For this God is our God forever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death.

The last time I checked, steps are very small, and are the same as our moment-to-moment or step-by-step experiences, and the LORD guides every one of them after we are saved, IF we believe that He can and will do that for us.

Found in Him continued
quote:
But Jesus had much to say about a new born again creation and how that new born again creation would produce fruit and love...
Of course, without the Holy Spirit inside of us the Lord cannot direct our every step. The Holy Spirit is like a Divine Converter Box which is needed in order to be able to hear from heaven.

The resurrected Jesus in heaven communicates His step-by-step counsel to the Holy Spirit inside of us, and then the Holy Spirit relays that information to our spirit. It's called to be "born again of the Spirit"; without the Holy Spirit we cannot hear from God.

And Found in Him said
quote:
this new born again creation has it's own will ...
Of course, the soul still has its own will and can implement what Jesus counseled to do and say, or the soul can still "do its own thing".

Found in Him, have you never read:

Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding.

And,

Matthew 4:4
But He said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God?

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 15
8This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14You are my friends if you do what I command. 15I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

The commandment is LOVE...

Mark 12
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. 31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Jesus said not a word about "moment to moment living" But had much to say about a new born again creation and how that new born again creation would produce fruit and love...this new born again creation has it's own will BUT is being transformed into the image of God's Son...IF the Spirit of The Son abides within...they WILL produce fruit and love one another...hence Jesus said "you shall KNOW them by their fruit AND their love for one another"

Christian actions void of the love of God or motivated by His love are what?

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

John 15
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love , just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

What commandments of Jesus are these? Are they only the commandments that are in the Bible or are they also the commandments that Jesus gives us from heaven on a moment-to-moment basis?

When Jesus was on earth, Jesus only implemented what Jesus heard and saw His Father do and say first:

John 5
19 Then Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say to you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatsoever things He {the Father} does, these things also the Son does likewise.

John 8:28
Then said Jesus to them, When you have lifted up the Son of man, then shall you know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself, but as My Father has taught Me, I speak these things.

Likewise we also must only do and say what Jesus tells us from heaven to do or say in any situation in life on earth, from moment-to-moment, then we also "do nothing of ourselves but only do and say what we have seen and heard Jesus do and say by way of the Holy Spirit to OUR spirit".

John 15
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

So what commandments of Jesus are these? Are they only the commandments that are in the Bible or are they also the commandments that Jesus gives us from heaven on a moment-to-moment basis once we have believed in faith that God really WILL guide all our steps until death?

Are THOSE the commandments of Jesus that we must implement and do on a consistent basis? I think that they are, just as Jesus said He did the "commandments of His Father":

John 15
10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MentorsRiddle:
The difference between obeying and baring fruit?

I don't see a difference... not really.

Because obeying the will of God is baring fruit in my mind.

I agree. But there's more to it.

To obey is bearing fruit, as you said (I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing). Everything we do for/with God can be thought of as fruit.

But also, obedience leads to bearing more fruit (every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit ).

AND obedience is itself a fruit of the Spirit (As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love). We cannot obey God unless His Spirit lives in us.

John 15

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit . 3 Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself , unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples . 9 As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love . 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love , just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obeying the will of God will produce the fruit. Doing what God calls you to do produces the fruit that he seeks. It is such obedience and fruitfulness that glorifies God. I think that this is fairly basic and simple.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference between obeying and baring fruit?

I don't see a difference... not really.

Because obeying the will of God is baring fruit in my mind.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one for ya...

What is the difference between obeying and bearing fruit?

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, maybe I misunderstood Eden when Eden said,

quote:
Those two verses are very bare and mention nothing about "good behavior" and "doing this and doing that" ... so what do you think the Lord had in mind when He stated the above two verses? That's the part that I don't get.

From the above quote, I gathered that Eden was thining wer had to have "good behaviour," and "doing this and doing that," which I thought he was saying something about doing works for salvation.

Maybe I just misunderstood.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is confusing the issue. NO ONE has said that we earn salvation by good works. That's legalism; it's also what Catholics believe.

What some of us DO say is that a truly born again Christian will bear fruit.

John 15:5 (NLT)
Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

Indwelt by His Holy Spirit:

We read His Word to know Him
To know Him is to love Him
To love Him is to obey Him
To obey Him is to abide in Him
To abide in Him is to bear fruit

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Eden,

We must BELEIVE in Jesus Christ as the one true son of God, who died that we may be forgiven of our sins.

We must be baptized, see Mark 16:16, which you posted earlier.

Our acts alone are not good enough to grant our way into heaven.

quote:
And if I give all my posessions to the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
The Book of Corinthians 13:3

So as you can see, just because we do a certain work, or thing, if we don't have faith and love for the Lord in our hearts then what good does it do?

quote:
There is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins.
The Book of Ecclesiastes 7:20

So, clearly we can never do good works 100% of the time, so how could our works be a sure shot at salvation?

Our works couldn't...

That is why Jesus Came, because God knew this.

He knew that he would have to act to save us, which is why he died for us.

Only through Beleiving in Jesus Christ, and being baptised can we be saved.

God Bless,

Matt

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acts 2:21 is not about soul salvation.

The impending judgment against Israel would bring the total destruction of the Holy City; but all of the Jews who became Christians were spared in that disaster; and as it was a type of the final judgment and overthrow of the world itself, Peter's message applied not merely to Israel who first heard it but to all men, as stated in Acts 2:39.
(Coffman)

Mark 16:16
He that believeth - He that credits this Gospel as a revelation from God takes upon him the profession of it, obliging himself to walk according to its precepts : he shall be saved - redeemed from sin here, and brought at last to the enjoyment of eternal glory. But he that believeth not, shall be damned - because he rejects the only provision that could be effectual to his soul's salvation.
(Adam Clarke)

Eden
unregistered

So in the context of everything that has been said thus far in this Topic, what do you think the Lord had in mind when by the Holy Spirit He said:

Acts 2:21
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Mark 16:16
He who believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he who does not believe shall be damned.

Those two verses are very bare and mention nothing about "good behavior" and "doing this and doing that" ... so what do you think the Lord had in mind when He stated the above two verses? That's the part that I don't get.

Acts 2:21
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

love, Eden

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

quote:
No, not if they don't know Jesus Christ. You can take notes all day every day and not know the Lord of the Bible Jesus Christ.

The below is so simple don't know why you can not understand it.

1 John 2:3-6 (NIV)
We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Very Good scripture to reference KnowHim.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever beleiveth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

[/b]The Book of John -- Chapter 3 v 16[/b]

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Book of Romans -- CHapter 10 v 13

GO ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

The Book of Matthew -- CHapter 29 v 19

My fellow brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus -- who is our Lord that rescued us from our sinfull natures -- The above scripture tells us exactly what you must do to be saved...

The Bible was very specific on what we [b]MUST
do to be saved.

The Word made no attempt at hiding what we must do to have a relationship with God.

Being saved is something more than just speaking words -- we must also beleive and call upon the Lords name.

We must confess the Lord Jesus Christ to anyone who would hear.

Please people, we are children of God.

We all know in our hearts what we have to do in order to be saved.

We MUST have a relationship with God/Jesus/Holy Spirit in order to be saved...

I don't understand why this is even a debate, when we have been clearly taught in the Bible what we MUST do.

This makes me so mad to see fellow Christians debating over something so basic in God's Word.

Being saved is one of the cornerstones and building blocks in Christianity.

Any Christian should know this basic information.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
If a person takes notes in Bible class and in church, do you think they are saved? I do, provided that they are still that interested by the time they die.

Hebrews 3:6
But Christ as a son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

If that person is still taking notes when they're 80, chances are they really are born again, eh?

love, Eden

No, not if they don't know Jesus Christ. You can take notes all day every day and not know the Lord of the Bible Jesus Christ.

The below is so simple don't know why you can not understand it.

We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a person takes notes in Bible class and in church, do you think they are saved? I do, provided that they are still that interested by the time they die.

Hebrews 3:6
But Christ as a son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

If that person is still taking notes when they're 80, chances are they really are born again, eh?

love, Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Eden,

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9

confess with your mouth

and

believe with your heart

thou shalt be saved.

it's that believing with the heart that going to send millions of so called Christians to hell!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

I do think that this is a very important verse that Christians also need to take careful note of:

Isaiah 29
13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draws near Me with their mouth, and with their lips they do honor Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men.

And from the New Testament:

Mark 7
6 He answered them, Well has Isaiah prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me.

There is no question in my mind that there are many Christians who do honor Him with their lips, but whose heart is far from Him.

So in that regard I would say that many Christians who think they are saved by what they say with their lips, may not be saved at all since their heart is far from Jesus and God, and their heart is still fully involved with the same worldly music and movies and books.

They honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. If that the criterion that God and Jesus will use, it could affect many Christians.

Mark 7
7 Howbeit in vain they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are truly saved , there should be some indication of that in your life. We cannot add to what Christ did on the cross, but if Christ is your Savior and Lord and the Holy Spirit is living inside of you, that should manifest itself in some way, shape, and form. You should want to do the will of your Heavenly Father. You should love Jesus' name. You should crave His Word. You should hate sin.

The quality and impact of the believer’s life on earth depend on his execution of God’s plan after salvation.

What is God’s plan for you following your personal faith in Christ? Learn and apply Bible doctrine and advance to spiritual maturity. The Bible reveals God’s person and plan. Bible doctrine is the content of the Word of God. Doctrine communicates absolute truth and is designed to become the measure or standard of your thinking.

When you learn who and what Christ is you can begin to apply His thinking. God commands you to think from a divine viewpoint so His gracious purpose can be fulfilled in your life (Romans 12:2).

God’s purpose for you after salvation calls for spiritual growth .

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18)

You are kept alive on earth to fulfill your personal destiny by becoming a mature believer as an expression of God’s glory in both time and eternity. Only as a mature believer can you consistently glorify God and receive the highest and best that He has prepared for you (Ephesians 1:3–6).

You advance spiritually by consistently learning, thinking, and applying Bible doctrine by the Holy Spirit. Persistent intake and application of doctrine enlarge your capacity for love, for Christian service, for holiness, for blessings, for happiness, and more. (If you can't read, then listen).

Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 24–25)

Eden
unregistered

Carol Swenson wrote
quote:
If you are truly saved, there should be some indication of that in your life. ... if Christ is your Savior and Lord and the Holy Spirit is living inside of you, that should manifest itself in some way, shape, and form.
Salvation is separate from sanctification. Salvation is received by believing that what God said in the Bible about Jesus is true, and just for believing God, God accounts unmerited righteousness to them. That's salvation.

Then once one is saved, there is sanctification and rewards. But a lack of sanctification and rewards does not undo one's salvation.

Sure, some Christians after salvation are more gung-ho about sanctification and rewards, they love the Word more than others, they pray more than others, they try to find out more about God than others, etc., but the lack or presence of these does not undo salvation.

Abram believed God when God said that Abram would have a child from his own wife Sarai and that Abram's descendants would be as the sand of the sea, when Abram believed that, eventhough nothing had happened as yet, God accounted it to him for righteousness.

Likewise when we believe all that God has said to us about Jesus, God accounts it to us for righteousness--just for believing God, God declares us righteous, eventhough we have done nothing more than believing God.

At that point we are instantly saved and once again are allowed to have access to the Holy Spirit.

But once saved, each Christian is different and the extent to which a saved person's life is changed, differs with each saved person, depending on their family background. Maybe they are illiterate, or they hate to read, or maybe they come from an abused family and have trouble loving or being more sweet, some of these things can take years and years.

Are they still saved? Of course they are, as long as they continue to believe all that God has said about Jesus in the Bible, because their BELIEF is what is counted to them for righteousness, not any later DOING.

Merely by BELIEVING God, God already counts them righteous, which has nothing to do with how sanctified or set apart unto God they may later become over the subsequent years.

Romans 4
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, has found?

2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he has whereof to glory; but not before God.

3 For what says the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness.

4 Now to him who works is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him who works not, but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6 Even as David also describes the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputes righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galatians 3:3
"Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?"

The Galatian Christians were apparently being taught that they needed to add the Law to their faith. False teachers were saying that they needed to progress further in the faith by observing the Torah. They were teaching circumcision and the entire Law of Moses (Gal. 5:2-3; Acts 15:5).

Paul says this is a ridiculous idea—if a person is given the Holy Spirit on the basis of faith, without deserving this gift, then Christianity is based on faith, and there is no place for works as far as salvation is concerned. Paul will later comment on how Christians should behave in response to Christ's work , but here he makes it clear that salvation is on the foundation of faith in what Christ has done. Our goal cannot be attained by human effort, and that is why Jesus died on the cross. Whatever work had to be done, he did on the cross. That is our foundation.

If you are truly saved, there should be some indication of that in your life. We cannot add to what Christ did on the cross, but if Christ is your Savior and Lord and the Holy Spirit is living inside of you, that should manifest itself in some way, shape, and form. You should want to do the will of your Heavenly Father. You should love Jesus' name. You should crave His Word. You should hate sin.

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bloodbought:
quote:
There is not one mortal man that can tell another he is saved. For one thing Gods word teaches-- Those who endure till the end will be saved ( thats the bottom line ) For a mortal man to be able to tell another that they are saved, he would have to be able to read their true hearts ( he cannot ) or if he has seen their name written in the book of life, which is in Gods possesion. ( he hasnt ) . the answer is no.
John 6:63-71 (KJV)

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. 66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. 69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. 70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? 71 † He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Hi, Yes Jesus knows, mortal man doesnt. The apostles didnt know about Judas, until Jesus said something.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Galatians 3
1 O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ has been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Say hey [thumbsup2]

Paul wrote about the simplicity that is in Christ. He wasn't saying "lawless" or "clueless".

2 Cor 11:2-3
2 I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 3 But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ .

True love is never envious, but it has a right to be jealous over those who are loved. A father (or a mother) is jealous over his or her children and seeks to protect them from anything that will harm them.

The picture here is that of a loving father who has a daughter engaged to be married. He feels it is his privilege and duty to keep her pure, so that he can present her to her husband with joy and not with sorrow. Paul saw the local church as a bride, engaged to be married to Jesus Christ (see Eph. 5:22ff and Rom. 7:4). That marriage will not take place until Jesus Christ has come for His bride (Rev. 19:1-9).

Meanwhile, the church—and this means individual Christians—must keep herself pure as she prepares to meet her Beloved.

The peril, then, is that of unfaithfulness to her fiancé. The engaged woman owes her love and allegiance to but one—her betrothed. If she shares herself with any other man, she is guilty of unfaithfulness. The word translated “simplicity” in 2 Corinthians 11:3 means “sincerity, singleness of devotion.” A divided heart leads to a defiled life and a destroyed relationship.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Good Morning!

Say "hey, it's a GOOD day, even if things arent going my way..Jesus is alive and I am saved...It's a GOOD day!" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

HOW I love and appreciate you Found in Him!!! GOD BLESS YOU! and AMEN!

And GOOD MORNING!

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

HOW I love and appreciate you Carol Swenson!!! GOD BLESS YOU! and AMEN!

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

EVEN IF THE LIST WERE TWICE AS LONG, IT WOULD NOT
BE A 'BURDEN' TO DO THOSE THINGS FOR JESUS CHRIST

HIS COMMANDS ARE NOT BURDENSOME IF YOU LOVE HIM

Two ways not to walk:

1. As Sinners (Ephes. 4:17)
2. As fools (Ephes. 5:15)

Eden
unregistered

Wow! What a long, long list of His commandments for us Christians to perform ... and you call that list of His commandments "not burdensome"?

My God, they are burdensome to READ, let alone to PRACTISE! That list reminds me of the 640 (or however huge many there were) commandments of the Old Testament that the Israelites had to perform, but could not.

Ezekiel 33:13
When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trusts to his own righteousness and commits iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he has committed, he shall die for it.

Romans 10:3
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God.

Philippians 3:9
And be found in Him, not having my own righteousness which is of the law, but that [righteousness] which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

1 John 5
3 For this is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are NOT burdensome.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

1 John 5:3
This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome.

quote:
So, what are His commands that are not burdensome, Carol Swenson? Can you put them in a little list for me?
New Testament Commandments

Seven “Abstains”—Abstain From:

1. Idols (Acts 15:20)
2. Fornication (Acts 15:20,29; 1 Thes. 4:2-3)
3. Strangled meats (Acts 15:20)
4. Eating blood (Acts 15:20)
5. Meats offered to idols (Acts 15:29)
6. All appearance of evil (1 Thes. 5:22)
7. Fleshly lusts (1 Peter 2:11)

Seven things to avoid:

1. Troublemakers (Romans 16:17)
2. Profane and vain babblings (1 Tim. 6:20)
3. False science (1 Tim. 6:20)
4. Unlearned questions (2 Tim. 2:23)
5. Foolish questions (Titus 3:9)
6. Genealogies (Titus 3:9)
7. Arguments about the law (Titus 3:9)

Three “Asks”:

1. Ask and ye shall receive (Matthew 7:7)
2. Ask no return of goods (Luke 6:30)
3. Ask life for backsliders (1 John 5:16)

Two things to awake to:

1. Awake to righteousness (1 Cor. 15:34)
2. Awake to life (Ephes. 5:14)

Seventy-four “Be’s”:

1. Be exceeding glad (Matthew 5:12)
2. Be reconciled to a brother (Matthew 5:24)
3. Be perfect (Matthew 5:48; 2 Cor. 13:11)
4. Be wise as serpents (Matthew 10:16)
5. Be harmless as doves (Matthew 10:16)
6. Be ready for Christ’s coming (Matthew 24:44; Luke 12:40)
7. Be content with your wages (Luke 3:14)
8. Be merciful as God (Luke 6:36)
9. Be like faithful servants (Luke 12:36)
10. Be thankful (Col. 3:15)
11. Be at peace among selves (1 Thes. 5:13)
12. Be patient toward all people (1 Thes. 5:14; 2 Tim. 2:24)
13. Be no partaker of sin (1 Tim. 5:22)
14. Be sober and hope (1 Peter 1:13)
15. Be sober and pray (1 Peter 4:7)
16. Be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, charity, and patience (aged men, Titus 2:2)
17. Be sober, love husbands and children (young women, Titus 2:4)
18. Be sober minded (young men, Titus 2:6)
19. Be in behavior as becoming to saints (aged women, Titus 2:3)
20. Be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient (young women, Titus 2:5)
21. Be ready to give an answer of the hope that is in you (1 Peter 3:15)
22. Be of good cheer (John 16:33)
23. Be baptized (Acts 2:38)
24. Be converted (Acts 3:19)
25. Be transformed (Romans 12:2)
26. Be kind of brotherly love one to another (Romans 12:10; Ephes. 4:32)
27. Be fervent in spirit (Romans 12:11)
28. Be patient in tribulation (Romans 12:12)
29. Be given to hospitality (Romans 12:13)
30. Be afraid, if lawless (Romans 13:4)
31. Be no idolater (1 Cor. 10:7)
32. Be followers of Paul as he followed Christ (1 Cor. 11:1; Phil. 3:17)
33. Be followers of God (Ephes. 5:1)
34. Be followers of the faithful and patient (Hebrews 6:12)
35. Be children in malice (1 Cor. 14:20)
36. Be men in understanding (1 Cor. 14:20)
37. Be stedfast (1 Cor. 15:58)
38. Be unmoveable (1 Cor. 15:58)
39. Be always abounding in God’s work (1 Cor. 15:58)
40. Be strong in the Lord (1 Cor. 16:13; Ephes. 6:10; 2 Tim. 2:1)
41. Be of good comfort (2 Cor. 13:11)
42. Be of one mind (Romans 12:16; 2 Cor. 13:11; Phil. 2:2; 1 Peter 3:8)
43. Be separate from the unclean (2 Cor. 6:17)
44. Be renewed in spirit (Ephes. 4:23)
45. Be angry and sin not (Ephes. 4:26)
46. Be tenderhearted one to another (Ephes. 4:32)
47. Be filled with the Spirit (Ephes. 5:18)
48. Be likeminded (Phil. 2:2)
49. Be one of accord (Phil. 2:2)
50. Be anxious for nothing (Phil. 4:6)
51. Be an example to believers in word, conversation, charity, spirit, faith, and purity (1
Tim. 4:12)
52. Be a partaker of Christian sufferings (2 Tim. 1:8; cp. 1 Peter 4:1)
53. Be gentle to all people (2 Tim. 2:24)
54. Be apt to teach (2 Tim. 2:24)
55. Be instant in season, out of season (2 Tim. 4:2)
56. Be careful to maintain good works (Titus 3:8,14; cp. Matthew 5:16)
57. Be content with what you have (Hebrews 13:5)
58. Be doers of the Word (James 1:22)
59. Be afflicted and mourn (James 4:9)
60. Be patient till Christ comes (James 5:7-8)
61. Be holy in conversation (behavior) (1 Peter 1:15-16)
62. Be pitiful (1 Peter 3:8)
63. Be courteous (1 Peter 3:8)
64. Be examples of the flock of God, not lord over it (1 Peter 5:3)
65. Be subject one to another (1 Peter 5:5)
66. Be clothed with humility (1 Peter 5:5)
67. Be sober (1 Peter 5:8)
68. Be vigilant (1 Peter 5:8)
69. Be mindful of prophecies and commandments (2 Peter 3:2)
70. Be diligent to be found in peace (2 Peter 3:14)
71. Be diligent to be without spot, and blameless (2 Peter 3:14)
72. Be faithful to death (Rev. 2:10)
73. Be watchful, strengthen self (Rev. 3:2)
74. Be zealous and repent (Rev. 3:19)

Thirty “Be Not’s”:

1. Be not like the hypocrites in prayer (Matthew 6:5)
2. Be not like the heathen in prayer (Matthew 6:8)
3. Be not as hypocrites in fasting (Matthew 6:16)
4. Be not called “Rabbi” (Matthew 23:8)
5. Be not called “Master” (Matthew 23:9)
6. Be not afraid of man (Luke 12:4)
7. Be not of doubtful mind (Luke 12:29)
8. Be not many teachers (James 3:1)
9. Be not afraid of terror (1 Peter 3:14)
10. Be not troubled (1 Peter 3:14)
11. Be not ignorant of time with God (2 Peter 3:8; cp. Isaiah 57:15)
12. Be not deceived: 10 classes not to inherit the kingdom (1 Cor. 6:9-10)
13. Be not conformed to world (Romans 12:2)
14. Be not slothful in business (Romans 12:11)
15. Be not conceited (Romans 12:16)
16. Be not overcome of evil (Romans 12:21)
17. Be not mere servants of men (1 Cor. 7:23)
18. Be not children in understanding (1 Cor. 14:20)
19. Be not deceived by evil companions (1 Cor. 15:33)
20. Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers (2 Cor. 6:14-15)
21. Be not entangled again with keeping the law (Galatians 5:1)
22. Be not deceived: man will reap what he sows (Galatians 6:7-8)
23. Be not partakers with sinners (Ephes. 5:7)
24. Be not unwise about God’s will (Ephes. 5:17)
25. Be not drunk with wine (Ephes. 5:18)
26. Be not weary in well doing (2 Thes. 3:13)
27. Be not ashamed of God (2 Tim. 1:8)
28. Be not slothful (Hebrews 6:12)
29. Be not forgetful of strangers (Hebrews 13:2)
30. Be not carried about with different strange doctrines (Hebrews 13:9)

Four things to believe:

1. The gospel (Mark 1:15)
2. God’s existence (Hebrews 11:6)
3. On Jesus Christ (1 John 3:23)
4. God rewards diligent seeking (Hebrews 11:6).

One thing not to believe:

1. Believe not every spirit (1 John 4:1).

Fourteen “Beware’s”:

1. Beware of false prophets (Matthew 7:15)
2. Beware of people (Matthew 10:17)
3. Beware of leaven (doctrine) of Pharisees (Matthew 16:6-12)
4. Beware of leaven (doctrine) of Herod (Mark 8:15)
5. Beware of hypocrisy (Luke 12:1)
6. Beware of covetousness (Luke 12:15)
7. Beware of scribes (Mark 12:38; Luke 20:46)
8. Beware of lest you despise God and perish (Acts 13:40-41)
9. Beware of dogs (false teachers, Phil. 3:2; Isaiah 56:10)
10. Beware of evil workers (Phil. 3:2)
11. Beware of the concision (Jews, Phil. 3:2)
12. Beware of being spoiled through philosophy (Col. 2:8)
13. Beware of being spoiled through vain deceit (Col. 2:8)
14. Beware of backsliding (2 Peter 3:17)

Two classes to bless:

1. Those who curse you (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:28)
2. Persecutors (Romans 12:14)

Three things to cast out or away:

1. The beam out of own eyes (Matthew 7:5; Luke 6:42)
2. Devils (Matthew 10:8)
3. All your cares upon God (1 Peter 5:7)

One thing not to cast away:

Your confidence in God (Hebrews 10:35)

Five things to charge:

1. Men to be blameless (1 Tim. 5:7)
2. The rich to be humble (1 Tim. 6:17)
3. The rich to trust in God (1 Tim. 6:17)
4. The rich to do good works (1 Tim. 6:18)
5. The rich to lay hold on eternal life (1 Tim. 6:19)

Two classes to comfort:

1. One another—fellow Christians (1 Thes. 4:18; 1 Thes. 5:11)
2. The feeble-minded (1 Thes. 5:14)

Five things to consider:

1. The ravens (Luke 12:24)
2. The lilies (Luke 12:27-28)
3. Truth (2 Tim. 2:7)
4. That you are capable of falling (Galatians 6:1)
5. Christ (Hebrews 3:1; Hebrews 12:3)

Three things to continue in:

1. Love (John 15:9)
2. Prayer (Romans 12:12; Col. 4:2)
3. Truth (2 Tim. 3:14)

Two things to covet:

1. The best gifts (1 Cor. 12:31)
2. To prophesy (1 Cor. 14:39); cp. things not to covet (Exodus 20:17; Deut. 5:21)

Ten “Do’s”:

1. Do good to them that hate you (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27)
2. Do to others what you expect of them (Matthew 7:12; Luke 6:31)
3. Do violence to no man (Luke 3:14)
4. Do good (Luke 6:35; Romans 13:3)
5. Do this (put God first) and live (Luke 10:28)
6. Do all to God’s glory (1 Cor. 10:31; Col. 3:17,23)
7. Do all things without murmuring and disputing (Phil. 2:14)
8. Do those things which were seen and heard in me (Paul, Phil. 4:9)
9. Do your own business (1 Thes. 4:11)
10. Do the work of an evangelist (2 Tim. 4:5)

Ten “Do Not’s”:

1. Do not alms before people (Matthew 6:1)
2. Do not sound trumpet before you when giving alms (Matthew 6:2)
3. Do not do works of Pharisees (Matthew 23:3-33)
4. Do not love in word only (1 John 3:18)
5. Do not give heed to fables (1 Tim. 1:4)
6. Do not give heed to genealogies (1 Tim. 1:4)
7. Do not err (James 1:16)
8. Do not commit adultery (James 2:11)
9. Do not kill (James 2:11)
10. Do not fashion self according to former lusts (1 Peter 1:14)

Two things to endure:

1. Hardness (2 Tim. 2:3)
2. Sufferings (2 Tim. 4:5)

Whom to fear:

God (Matthew 10:28; Luke 12:5; 1 Peter 2:17; Rev. 14:7)

Three things not to fear:

1. Man (Matthew 10:28; Luke 12:5)
2. Persecutors (Matthew 10:26)
3. No lack of provision (Matthew 10:31; Mark 6:8-9; Luke 12:7)

Five things to feed:

1. Enemies (Romans 12:20)
2. Lambs (John 21:15)
3. Sheep (John 21:16,17)
4. Flock of God (1 Peter 5:2)
5. The church (Acts 20:28)

Four things to flee from:

1. Fornication (1 Cor. 6:18)
2. Idolatry (1 Cor. 10:14)
3. Hurtful lusts (1 Tim. 6:9-11)
4. Youthful lusts (2 Tim. 2:22)

Ten things to follow:

1. Christ (Matthew 4:19; Matthew 8:22; Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Mark 10:21; Luke 9:23; John 21:19)
2. Love (1 Cor. 14:1; 1 Tim. 6:11; 2 Tim. 2:22)
3. Good (1 Thes. 5:15; 3 John 1:11)
4. Righteousness (1 Tim. 6:11; 2 Tim. 2:22)
5. Godliness (1 Tim. 6:11)
6. Faith (1 Tim. 6:11; 2 Tim. 2:22)
7. Patience (1 Tim. 6:11)
8. Meekness (1 Tim. 6:11)
9. Peace (2 Tim. 2:22; Hebrews 12:14)
10. Holiness (Hebrews 12:14)

Seven things about giving:

1. Commanded: give (Luke 6:38)
2. Whom to give to:

(1) Him that asks (Matthew 5:42; Luke 6:30)
(2) Needy saints (Romans 12:13)
(3) God (Col. 3:17; Rev. 14:7)

3. Whom not to give to:

(1) Give not holy things to rebels (Matthew 7:6)
(2) Give no place to Satan (Ephes. 4:27)

4. What to give:

(1) Holy things (Matthew 7:6; Matthew 10:8)
(2) Give thanks (Ephes. 5:20; Phil. 4:6; Col. 3:17; 1 Thes. 5:18)
(3) Give time to reading, exhortation, doctrine (1 Tim. 4:13)
(4) Give self wholly (1 Tim. 4:15)
(5) Give glory to God (Rev. 14:7)

5. What not to give:

(1) Give no offense (1 Cor. 10:32)
(2) Give no heed of fables and commandments of human beings (Titus 1:14)

6. How to give:

(1) Freely (Matthew 10:8; 2 Cor. 9:6)
(2) Good measure (Luke 6:38)
(3) As God has prospered (1 Cor. 16:2)
(4) Willingly (2 Cor. 8:12)
(5) With purpose (2 Cor. 9:7)
(6) Cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:7)

7. Blessings promised for giving:

(1) Returns on the basis of giving (Luke 6:38; 2 Cor. 9:6)
(2) Reward (Matthew 10:42)
(3) All grace abounding (2 Cor. 9:8)
(4) All sufficiency (2 Cor. 9:8)
(5) Eternal righteousness (2 Cor. 9:9)
(6) Increased fruits (2 Cor. 9:10)
(7) Enrichment in all things (2 Cor. 9:11)

Five “Go’s”:

1. Go two miles (Matthew 5:41)
2. Go teach (Matthew 28:19-20)
3. Go preach (Mark 16:15)
4. Go not from house to house (Luke 10:7)
5. Go and do likewise (Luke 10:37)

Seven “Have’s”:

1. Have faith (Mark 11:22; Romans 14:22-23)
2. Have no fellowship with darkness (Ephes. 5:11)
3. Have no respect of persons (1 Tim. 5:21; James 2:1-10)
4. Have honest conversation (1 Peter 2:12)
5. Have compassion (1 Peter 3:8; Jude 1:22)
6. Have a good conscience (1 Peter 3:16)
7. Have fervent love (1 Peter 4:8)

Fourteen “Hold’s”:

1. Hold forth Word of life (Phil. 2:16)
2. Hold fast to the good (1 Thes. 5:21)
3. Hold Christian traditions (1 Tim. 1:19; 1 Tim. 3:9)
4. Hold faith (1 Tim. 1:19)
5. Hold a good conscience (1 Tim. 1:19)
6. Hold fast sound doctrine (2 Tim. 1:13)
7. Hold fast till Christ comes (Rev. 2:25)
8. Hold fast what you have (Rev. 3:11)
9. Hold your crown (Rev. 3:11)
10. Hold reputation of ministers (Phil. 2:29)
11. Hold eternal life (1 Tim. 6:12,19)
12. Hold hope (Hebrews 6:18)
13. Hold confidence (Hebrews 3:6,14)
14. Hold what is heard and received (Rev. 3:3)

Six classes to honor:

1. Fathers (Luke 18:20; Ephes. 6:2)
2. Mothers (Matthew 19:19; Mark 10:19)
3. Others (Romans 12:10)
4. Widows indeed (1 Tim. 5:3)
5. All people (1 Peter 2:17)
6. Kings—rulers (1 Peter 2:17)

Seven things to keep:

1. Keep commandments (Matthew 19:17; John 14:15)
2. Keep no company with the 6 classes of professed Christians of 1 Cor. 5:11
3. Keep yourself pure (1 Tim. 5:22)
4. Keep the gospel commandments until Christ comes (1 Tim. 6:14)
5. Keep the good entrusted you (2 Tim. 1:14)
6. Keep yourself from idols (1 John 5:21)
7. Keep yourself in God’s love (Jude 1:21)

Six things to lay aside:

1. Wickedness (James 1:21)
2. All malice (1 Peter 2:1)
3. All guile (1 Peter 2:1)
4. All hypocrisies (1 Peter 2:1)
5. All envies (1 Peter 2:1)
6. All evil speakings (1 Peter 2:1)

One Hundred “Let’s”:

1. Let your light shine (Matthew 5:16; Luke 12:35).
2. Let your conversation be yea, nay (Matthew 5:37; James 5:12).
3. Let your enemy have your cloak (Matthew 5:40; Luke 6:29).
4. Let blind leaders alone (Matthew 15:14).
5. Let everyone deny themselves (Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Luke 9:23).
6. Let him take up cross (Matthew 16:24; Mark 8:34; Mark 10:21; Luke 9:23).
7. Let him hear (Mark 4:23; Luke 14:35).
8. Let him share with the needy (Luke 3:11).
9. Let your loins be girded (Luke 12:35).
10. Let everyone take your purse and script (Luke 22:36).
11. Let him sell his garment, buy sword (Luke 22:36).
12. Let your love be genuine (Romans 12:9).
13. Let everyone obey the civil laws (Romans 13:1).
14. Let everyone choose his own sabbath day (Romans 14:5-7; Col. 2:14-17).
15. Let everyone take heed how he builds upon Christ (1 Cor. 3:10).
16. Let no man deceive himself (1 Cor. 3:18).
17. Let every man have his own wife (1 Cor. 7:2).
18. Let every woman her own husband (1 Cor. 7:2).
19. Let spouses satisfy each other in sexual relations (1 Cor. 7:4-5).
20. Let them who cannot restrain marry (1 Cor. 7:9).
21. Let husbands and wifes remain unmarried if they separate or, be reconciled (1 Cor. 7:11).
22. Let the unbelieving ones depart who refuse to remain (1 Cor. 7:15).
23. Let every man abide in his calling (1 Cor. 7:17-24).
24. Let no one seek to erase circumcision (1 Cor. 7:18).
25. Let no one be circumcised (as a religious rite, 1 Cor. 7:18).
26. Let a father give his daughter in marriage if she desires it (1 Cor. 7:36-38).
27. Let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall (1 Cor. 10:12).
28. Let no man seek wealth selfishly (1 Cor. 10:24).
29. Let the woman cut her hair if her head is uncovered (1 Cor. 11:6).
30. Let the woman wear a covering if cutting and shaving the hair be a shame (1 Cor. 11:6).
31. Let everyone examine self when taking the Lord’s Supper (1 Cor. 11:28).
32. Let the hungry eat at home, not at the Lord’s Supper (1 Cor. 11:34).
33. Let the speaker in tongues pray for the interpretation (1 Cor. 14:13).
34. Let all things be done to edifying (1 Cor. 14:26).
35. Let no more than 3 messages in tongues be given in one service (1 Cor. 14:27).
36. Let one interpret (1 Cor. 14:27).
37. Let the mind of Christ be in you (Phil. 2:5).
38. Let your moderation be known (Phil. 4:5).
39. Let your requests be known to God (Phil. 4:6).
40. Let no one judge you with regard to meats, drinks, holy days, new moons, and sabbath days (Col. 2:14-17; Romans 14:5-7).
41. Let no one rob you of your reward by some vain religion (Col. 2:18).
42. Let peace rule the heart (Col. 3:15).
43. Let the Word dwell in you (Col. 3:16).
44. Let speech be with grace (Col. 4:6).
45. Let no one deceive you about the day of Christ being at hand (2 Thes. 2:3).
46. Let no man despise youth (1 Tim. 4:12).
47. Let the speaker in tongues keep silent in church speaking to himself and God if no interpreter present (1 Cor. 14:28).
48. Let the prophets speak two or three messages and let others judge (1 Cor. 14:29).
49. Let times be shared in revelation (1 Cor. 14:30).
50. Let women learn quietly in church or at home (1 Cor. 14:34-35; 1 Tim. 2:11).
51. Let everyone acknowledge regulation of spiritual gifts to be commandments of God (1 Cor. 14:37).
52. Let rebels to truth remain ignorant (1 Cor. 14:38).
53. Let all things be done in decent order (1 Cor. 16:2).
54. Let everyone give as God prospers (1 Cor. 16:2).
55. Let all things be done in love (1 Cor. 16:14).
56. Let everyone give cheerfully (2 Cor. 9:7).
57. Let rebels to truth be accursed (1 Cor. 16:22; Galatians 1:8-9).
58. Let everyone prove their own work (Galatians 6:4).
59. Let those taught support the teacher (Galatians 6:6).
60. Let the thief steal no more (Ephes. 4:28).
61. Let the thief labor instead of stealing to have to give to others (Ephes. 4:28).
62. Let no corrupt conversation come from your mouth (Ephes. 4:29).
63. Let bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, evil speaking, and malice be put away (Ephes. 4:31).
64. Let no man deceive you with vain words (Ephes. 5:6).
65. Let the wives be subject to their husbands (Ephes. 5:22,24; Col. 3:18; 1 Peter 3:1-6).
66. Let the husbands love their wives (Ephes. 5:25,28,33; Col. 3:19; 1 Peter 3:7).
67. Let the wives reverence their husbands (Ephes. 5:33).
68. Let your conversation (behavior) be becoming of the gospel (Phil. 1:27).
69. Let nothing be done through strife or vain glory (Phil. 2:3).
70. Let each esteem other better than himself (Phil. 2:3).
71. Let worthy elders be doubly honored (paid) (1 Tim. 5:17).
72. Let servants honor masters (1 Tim. 6:1).
73. Let masters respect servants (1 Tim. 6:2).
74. Let every Christian depart from iniquity (2 Tim. 2:19).
75. Let no man despise you (Titus 2:15).
76. Let brotherly love continue (Hebrews 13:1).
77. Let conversation be without covetousness (Hebrews 13:5).
78. Let patience work perfectly (James 1:4).
79. Let one who lacks, ask for wisdom (James 1:5).
80. Let him ask in faith (James 1:6).
81. Let the exalted rejoice (James 1:9).
82. Let the humble rejoice (James 1:10).
83. Let no man lay temptation to God (James 1:13).
84. Let everyone be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath (James 1:19).
85. Let the wise demonstrate wisdom and knowledge (James 3:13).
86. Let the light-hearted sinners become remorseful (James 4:9).
87. Let the afflicted pray (James 5:13).
88. Let the merry sing psalms (James 5:13).
89. Let the sick call elders (James 5:14).
90. Let elders pray for sick, anointing with oil (James 5:14-15; cp. Mark 6:13).
91. Let adorning be more inward than outward (1 Peter 3:3-4; 1 Tim. 2:9-10).
92. Let everyone refrain tongue from evil, and lips from guile (1 Peter 3:10).
93. Let everyone shun evil, do good, seek peace and pursue it (1 Peter 3:11).
94. Let ministers speak for God (1 Peter 4:11).
95. Let no one suffer as a murderer, thief, evil doer, or busybody (1 Peter 4:15).
96. Let no one be ashamed to suffer as a Christian, but be thankful (1 Peter 4:16).
97. Let Christian sufferers commit their souls to God (1 Peter 4:19).
98. Let eternal life abide in you (1 John 2:24-25).
99. Let no man deceive you about being righteous (1 John 3:7).
100. Let him that hath an ear, hear (Rev. 2:7,11,17,29; Rev. 3:6,13,22).

Twelve “Let Not’s”:

1. Let not your left hand know what the right hand does (Matthew 6:3).
2. Let not man sever those who are married (Matthew 19:6).
3. Let not good be evil spoken of (Romans 14:16).
4. Let not sin reign in the body (Romans 6:12).
5. Let not him that eateth despise him that does not (Romans 14:3).
6. Let not him that eateth not judge him that does (Romans 14:3).
7. Let not the wife depart from her husband (1 Cor. 7:10).
8. Let not the husband put away his wife (1 Cor. 7:11).
9. Let not the Christian put away the unsaved companion who wishes to remain (1 Cor. 7:12,13).
10. Let not the sun go down on wrath (Ephes. 4:26).
11. Let not fornication, uncleanness, covetousness, filthiness, foolish talking, and jesting be mentioned among you as becometh saints (Ephes. 5:3-4).
12. Let not unworthy widows be supported by the church (1 Tim. 5:9-16).

Forty-two “Let us’s”:

1. Let us walk honestly (Romans 13:12).
2. Let us cast off works of darkness (Romans 13:12).
3. Let us put on armor of light (Romans 13:12).
4. Let us follow things of peace (Romans 14:9).
5. Let us follow things that edify (Romans 14:19).
6. Let us please neighbor for good (Romans 15:2-3).
7. Let us be sincere (1 Cor. 5:8).
8. Let us not commit fornication (1 Cor. 10:2-3).
9. Let us not tempt Christ (1 Cor. 10:9).
10. Let us not murmur (1 Cor. 10:10).
11. Let us cleanse ourselves from the filthiness of body and spirit (2 Cor. 7:1).
12. Let us perfect holiness (2 Cor. 7:1).
13. Let us walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:25).
14. Let us not desire vain glory (Galatians 5:26).
15. Let us not provoke one another (Galatians 5:26).
16. Let us not envy one another (Galatians 5:26).
17. Let us not be weary in well doing (Galatians 6:9).
18. Let us do good to all people (Galatians 6:10).
19. Let us do good especially to fellow Christians (Galatians 6:10).
20. Let us who are mature press forward toward the mark (Phil. 3:14-15).
21. Let us walk by the same rule (Phil. 3:16).
22. Let us mind the same thing (Phil. 3:16).
23. Let us not sleep spiritually (1 Thes. 5:6).
24. Let us watch and be sober (1 Thes. 5:6,8).
25. Let us be content with food and raiment (1 Tim. 6:8).
26. Let us fear losing the promised rest (Hebrews 4:1-2).
27. Let us labor to enter rest (Hebrews 4:11).
28. Let us hold fast our profession (Hebrews 10:23).
29. Let us come boldly to the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16; Hebrews 10:19-23).
30. Let us go on to perfection (Hebrews 6:1).
31. Let us draw near to God (Hebrews 10:22).
32. Let us provoke to love and good works (Hebrews 10:24).
33. Let us not forsake assembling together in worship (Hebrews 10:25).
34. Let us exhort one another (Hebrews 10:25).
35. Let us lay aside every weight (Hebrews 12:1).
36. Let us lay aside besetting sin (Hebrews 12:1).
37. Let us run race with patience (Hebrews 12:1).
38. Let us look to Jesus (Hebrews 12:2).
39. Let us have grace to serve God (Hebrews 12:28).
40. Let us bear Christ’s reproach (Hebrews 13:13).
41. Let us offer our sacrifice of praise to God continually (Hebrews 13:15).
42. Let us love one another (1 John 4:7,11).

Eight “Let Us Not’s”:

1. Let us not walk in rioting (Romans 13:13).
2. Let us not walk in drunkenness (Romans 13:13).
3. Let us not walk in chambering (Romans 13:13).
4. Let us not walk in wantonness (Romans 13:13).
5. Let us not walk in strife (Romans 13:13).
6. Let us not walk in envying (Romans 13:13).
7. Let us not judge one another in doubtful things (Romans 14:13).
8. Let us not cause others to stumble (Romans 14:13).

Three ways to live:

1. Live peacefully (Romans 12:18; 2 Cor. 13:11).
2. Live free from anxiety and undue care (1 Cor. 7:28-35).
3. Live no longer in lusts of sin (1 Peter 4:2).

Four commands to “Love”:

1. Love your enemies (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27,35).
2. Love your fellow Christians (John 13:34; John 15:12,17; Galatians 5:14; 1 Peter 2:17; 1 John 3:23; 2 John 1:5).
3. Love the brotherhood (1 Peter 2:17).
4. Love your brother (1 John 4:21).

Two things not to love:

1. The world (1 John 2:15)
2. Things in the world (1 John 2:15)

Three ways to love:

1. Fervently (1 Peter 2:22)
2. With a pure heart (1 Peter 2:22)
3. As brethren (1 Peter 3:8)

One Person to pray to:

Pray to thy Father (Matthew 6:6; Matthew 9; John 16:23-26)

Three things to pray for:

1. Your persecutors (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:28)
2. For laborers (Matthew 9:38; Luke 10:2)
3. For one another (James 5:16)

Two ways not to pray:

1. Use not vain repetitions like the heathen (Matthew 6:7).
2. Do not pray as hypocrites (Matthew 6:5).

Three ways to pray:

1. After this manner pray (Matthew 6:9-13)
2. Ask, seek, knock (Matthew 7:7-11)
3. Pray in the Spirit (Jude 1:20)

Four things to prove:

1. Prove yourself (2 Cor. 13:5).
2. Prove what is acceptable to God (Ephes. 5:10).
3. Prove all things (1 Thes. 5:21).
4. Prove accusations against elders (1 Tim. 5:19).

Eight “Put Away’s”:

1. Put away wicked people from the congregation (1 Cor. 5:13).
2. Put away lying (Ephes. 4:25).
3. Put away all bitterness (Ephes. 4:31).
4. Put away wrath (Ephes. 4:31).
5. Put away anger (Ephes. 4:31).
6. Put away clamor (Ephes. 4:31).
7. Put away evil speaking (Ephes. 4:31).
8. Put away all malice (Ephes. 4:31).

Six “Put Off’s”:

1. Put off the old man (Ephes. 4:22; Col. 3:9).
2. Put off anger (Col. 3:8).
3. Put off wrath (Col. 3:8).
4. Put off malice (Col. 3:8).
5. Put off blasphemy (Col. 3:8).
6. Put off filthy conversation (Col. 3:8).

Twelve “Put On’s”:

1. Put on Christ (Romans 13:14).
2. Put on the armor of light (Romans 13:12).
3. Put on the new man (Ephes. 4:24; Col. 3:10).
4. Put on the whole armor of God (Ephes. 6:11,13).
5. Put on the bowels of mercy (Col. 3:12).
6. Put on kindness (Col. 3:12).
7. Put on humility (Col. 3:12).
8. Put on meekness (Col. 3:12).
9. Put on longsuffering (Col. 3:13).
10. Put on love (Col. 3:14).
11. Put on the breastplate of faith and love (1 Thes. 5:8).
12. Put on the hope of salvation (1 Thes. 5:8).

One class not to rebuke:

Elders (1 Tim. 5:1)

Three things to rebuke:

1. Certain sinners (1 Tim. 5:20)
2. Rebels (Titus 1:13)
3. Works of darkness (Ephes. 5:11)

Two ways to rebuke:

1. With all authority (Titus 2:15)
2. With all longsuffering (2 Tim. 4:2)

Two commands to rejoice:

1. Rejoice (Matthew 5:12; Romans 15:10)
2. Rejoice evermore (1 Thes. 5:16)

Four things to rejoice in:

1. Hope (Romans 12:12)
2. Blessings of others (Romans 12:15)
3. The Lord (Phil. 3:1; Phil. 4:4)
4. Suffering for Christ (1 Peter 4:13)

Five things to remember:

1. What you are saved from (Ephes. 2:11-12)
2. Those who suffer (Hebrews 13:3)
3. Those who lead you (Hebrews 13:7)
4. Truth (Jude 1:17-18; Rev. 3:3)
5. Backsliding, and repent (Rev. 2:5)

Four things to seek:

1. God’s kingdom first (Matthew 6:33; Luke 12:31)
2. God in prayer (Matthew 7:7)
3. To edify the church (1 Cor. 14:12)
4. Things above (Col. 3:1)

One command to stand fast:

1. Stand fast, and hold Christian traditions (2 Thes. 2:15)

Three things to stand fast with:

1. Loins girt about with truth
2. Breastplate of righteousness
3. Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (Ephes. 6:14-15)

Five things to stand in:

1. Faith (1 Cor. 16:13)
2. Liberty (Galatians 5:1)
3. One spirit (Phil. 1:27)
4. One mind (Phil. 1:27)
5. The Lord (Phil. 4:1)

Eight things to think on:

1. Things about your true self (Romans 12:3; 1 Cor. 3:18)
2. Things true
3. Things honest
4. Things just
5. Things pure
6. Things lovely
7. Things of good report
8. Things of virtue (Phil. 4:8)

One way to think:

Think soberly (Romans 12:3)

Five commands to “submit”:

1. Submit one to another (Ephes. 5:21).
2. Submit to God (James 4:7).
3. Submit to every ordinance of man (1 Peter 2:13-14; Romans 13:1-8).
4. Younger ones are to submit to their elders (1 Peter 5:5).
5. Wives must submit to their husbands ((Ephes. 5:22; Col. 3:18; 1 Peter 3:1-6).

Twelve “Take’s”:

1. Take no anxious thought for necessities of life (Matthew 6:25,31; Luke 12:22-30)
2. Take no anxious thought of tomorrow (Matthew 6:34)
3. Take no anxious thought of defense (Matthew 10:19; Mark 13:9-11; Luke 12:11-12; Luke 21:14)
4. Take my yoke upon you (Matthew 11:29)
5. Take advantage of freedom (1 Cor. 7:21)
6. Take the Lord’s Supper in remembrance of Christ (1 Cor. 11:24-26)
7. Take the shield of faith (Ephes. 6:16)
8. Take the helmet of salvation (Ephes. 6:17)
9. Take the sword of the Spirit (Ephes. 6:17)
10. Take oversight of the flock willingly (1 Peter 5:2)
11. Take oversight of the flock without thought of personal gain (1 Peter 5:2)
12. Take a humble seat (Luke 14:8)

Eighteen “Take Heed’s”:

1. Take heed that you do not alms to be seen by people (Matthew 6:1).
2. Take heed not to despise little ones (Matthew 18:10).
3. Take heed not to be deceived (Matthew 24:4; Mark 13:5; Luke 21:8).
4. Take heed what you hear (Mark 4:24).
5. Take heed how you hear (Luke 8:18).
6. Take heed to walk in the light (Luke 11:35).
7. Take heed to rebuke and forgive (Luke 17:3).
8. Take heed not to get drunk (Luke 21:34).
9. Take heed not to surfeit (Luke 21:34).
10. Take heed not to be overcome with cares (Luke 21:34).
11. Take heed to yourselves (Matthew 13:9; Luke 17:3; Luke 21:34; Acts 20:28).
12. Take heed to the flock of God (Acts 20:28).
13. Take heed lest you misuse your liberty (1 Cor. 8:9; Rev. 13).
14. Take heed lest you fall (1 Cor. 10:12; Romans 11:21).
15. Take heed to your ministry (Col. 4:17).
16. Take heed that you destroy not one another (Galatians 5:15).
17. Take heed to yourself and your doctrine (1 Tim. 4:16).
18. Take heed not to backslide (Hebrews 3:12).

Four “Thou Shalt’s”:

1. Thou shalt worship God only (Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8).
2. Thou shalt serve God only (Matthew 4:10; Luke 4:8).
3. Thou shalt love neighbors as yourself (Matthew 5:43; Matthew 19:19; Matthew 22:39; Mark 12:31; Luke 10:27; Romans 13:9; Galatians 5:14).
4. Thou shalt love God wholeheartedly (Matthew 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27).

Eight “Thou Shalt Not’s”:

1. Thou shalt not tempt the Lord (Matthew 4:7; Luke 4:12).
2. Thou shalt not kill (Matthew 5:21; Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20;Romans 13:9).
3. Thou shalt not commit adultery (Matthew 5:27-28; Matthew 19:18; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9).
4. Thou shalt not pray to be seen by people (Matthew 6:5).
5. Thou shalt not steal (Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9).
6. Thou shalt not bear false witness (Matthew 19:18; Mark 10:19; Luke 18:20; Romans 13:9).
7. Thou shalt not covet (Romans 13:9).
8. Thou shalt not muzzle the ox treading corn (1 Cor. 9:9; 1 Tim. 5:18).

Two ways not to walk:

1. As Sinners (Ephes. 4:17)
2. As fools (Ephes. 5:15)

Seven things to walk in:

1. The Spirit (Galatians 5:16)
2. Love (Ephes. 5:2)
3. The light (Ephes. 5:8-9; 1 John 1:7)
4. Watchfulness (Ephes. 6:18)
5. Christ (Col. 2:6-7; 2 Cor. 5:17)
6. Wisdom (Col. 4:5)
7. Honesty (1 Thes. 4:12)

200 Miscellaneous Commands:

1. Abhor what is evil (Romans 12:9).
2. A bishop must be (see characteristics of, 1 Tim. 3:2-7; Titus 1:6-9).
3. Abide in Christ (John 15:4).
4. Abide with worthy ones (Matthew 10:11-13; Mark 6:10; Luke 9:4; Luke 10:5-8).
5. Accuse none falsely (Luke 3:14).
6. Add to Christian graces (2 Peter 1:5-7).
7. Admit your own unprofitableness (Luke 17:10).
8. Admonish one another (Col. 3:16).
9. Admonish the unruly (2 Thes. 3:15).
10. Agree with your adversary (Matthew 5:25).
11. Allow no liberty to ensnare you to commit sin (1 Cor. 10:25-30).
12. Allow no lust of evil in the your body (1 Thes. 4:5).
13. Allow no cursing and blessing from the same mouth (James 3:10).
14. Anoint your head and wash face when fasting (Matthew 6:17).
15. Arm your self with a mind to suffer for Christ (1 Peter 4:1).
16. Avenge not yourself (Romans 12:19).
17. Awake from death to light (Ephes. 5:14).
18. Bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2).
19. Behave like men (1 Cor. 16:13).
20. Bid no false teacher “Godspeed” (2 John 1:10-11).
21. Bring proof of your repentance (Matthew 3:8; Luke 3:8).
22. Bring your children up in the Lord (Ephes. 6:4).
23. Build up your faith (Jude 1:20).
24. Call the poor to your feast (Luke 14:13).
25. Children, obey your parents (Ephes. 6:1; Col. 3:20).
26. Cleanse the lepers (Matthew 10:8).
27. Cleanse your hands you sinners (James 4:8).
28. Cleave to good (Romans 12:9).
29. Collect just dues only (Luke 3:13).
30. Come out from among them (2 Cor. 6:17).
31. Command and teach these things (1 Tim. 4:11; 1 Tim. 6:2).
32. Commit the truth to faithful teachers (2 Tim. 2:2).
33. Confess your faults one to another (James 5:16).
34. Count it joy when you are tempted (James 1:2).
35. Cut off offending members (Matthew 5:29-30; Matthew 18:8,9).
36. Deacons must be (see 1 Tim. 3:8-12).
37. Defraud not (Mark 10:19).
38. Desire spiritual gifts (1 Cor. 14:1).
39. Desire the milk of the Word (1 Peter 2:2).
40. Despise not prophesyings (1 Thes. 5:20).
41. Destroy none with non-essentials (Romans 14:15; 1 Cor. 8:13).
42. Draw near to God (James 4:8).
43. Eat your own bread in quietness (2 Thes. 3:12).
44. Earnestly contend for faith (Jude 1:3).
45. Edify yourselves with singing (Ephes. 5:19).
46. Edify one another (1 Thes. 5:11).
47. Enter the straight (narrow) gate (Matthew 7:13; Luke 13:24).
48. Examine yourself as to faith (2 Cor. 13:5).
49. Exercise in godliness (1 Tim. 4:7-8).
50. Exhort servants to obey (Titus 2:9-10).
51. Exhort one another daily (Hebrews 3:13).
52. Fear not (Luke 12:32)!
53. Fight the good fight of faith (1 Tim. 6:12).
54. Follow peace and holiness (Hebrews 12:14).
55. Forbear one another (Col. 3:13).
56. Forbid not children (Matthew 19:14; Mark 10:14; Luke 18:16).
57. Forbid not tongues (1 Cor. 14:39).
58. Forget not to share (Hebrews 13:16).
59. Forgive 490 times (Matthew 18:22).
60. Forgive (Matthew 11:25-26; Luke 6:37; Ephes. 4:32; Col. 3:13).
61. Fret not in servitude (2 Cor. 7:21).
62. Gird up loins of mind (1 Peter 1:13).
63. Give place to wrath (Romans 12:19).
64. Give your enemy a drink of water (Romans 12:20).
65. Give no occasion to the adversary (1 Tim. 5:14).
66. Glorify God in your body and spirit (2 Cor. 6:20; cp. Romans 12:1-2).
67. Grieve not the Holy Spirit (Ephes. 4:30).
68. Grow in grace and knowledge (2 Peter 3:18).
69. Grudge not against another (James 5:9).
70. Harden not your hearts (Hebrews 3:8-15).
71. Hate flesh-spotted garments (Jude 1:23).
72. Have no respect of persons (partiality, prejudice) (1 Tim. 5:21).
73. Have the same love (Phil. 2:2).
74. Have no fellowship with works of darkness (Ephes. 5:11).
75. Heal the sick (Matthew 10:8; Luke 10:9).
76. Help propagate truth (3 John 1:8).
77. Humble yourselves (James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:6).
78. Husbands, love your wives (Ephes. 5:25,28; Col. 3:19; 1 Peter 3:7).
79. Husbands, be not bitter against your wives (Col. 3:19).
80. Instruct rebels in meekness (2 Tim. 2:25).
81. Intreat others according to 1 Tim. 5:1-2.
82. Judge not (Matthew 7:1; Luke 6:37).
83. Have faith before God for things not condemned in Scripture (Romans 14:22-23).
84. Know how to control your body (1 Thes. 4:4).
85. Lay not up your treasures on earth (Matthew 6:19).
86. Lay up your treasures in heaven (Matthew 6:20; Luke 12:33-34).
87. Lay hold on eternal life (1 Tim. 6:12).
88. Leave your parents and cleave to your wife (Matthew 19:5; Mark 10:7; Ephes. 5:31).
89. Lend, hoping for nothing back (Luke 6:35).
90. Lie not (Col. 3:9).
91. Lift up hands that hang down (Hebrews 12:12).
92. Look not everyone on your own things only (Phil. 2:4).
93. Look diligently not to fail of grace (Hebrews 12:15).
94. Look diligently lest any root of bitterness defile (Hebrews 12:15).
95. Look diligently lest any be a fornicator (Hebrews 12:16-17).
96. Look to yourselves not to lose reward (2 John 1:8).
97. Look for mercy unto eternal life (Jude 1:21).
98. Lust not after evil things (1 Cor. 10:6).
99. Make a tree good or corrupt (Matthew 12:33).
100. Make no provision for lusts (Romans 13:14).
101. Make full proof of ministry (2 Tim. 4:5).
102. Make straight paths (Hebrews 12:13).
103. Mark troublemakers (Romans 16:17; Phil. 3:17).
104. Mark the unruly (2 Thes. 3:14).
105. Marvel not if you are hated by the world (1 John 3:13).
106. Masters, be good to servants (Ephes. 5:9; Col. 4:1).
107. Meditate upon things of 1 Tim. 4:15.
108. Mind not the high things (Romans 12:16).
109. Minister as good stewards (1 Peter 4:10).
110. Mortify offending physical members (Col. 3:5; Romans 8:12-13).
111. Neither be of doubtful mind (Luke 12:29).
112. No man is to defraud his brother (1 Thes. 4:6).
113. Neglect not spiritual gifts (1 Tim. 4:14; cp. 2 Tim. 1:6).
114. Obey your leaders (Hebrews 13:17).
115. Offer the other cheek (Matthew 5:39; Luke 6:29).
116. Ordain no one in a hurry (1 Tim. 5:22).
117. Owe nothing but love (Romans 13:8).
118. Overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21).
119. Pass the time in fear (1 Peter 1:17).
120. Pay your taxes (Romans 13:6).
121. Pay just dues (Romans 13:7).
122. Praise the Lord (Romans 15:11).
123. Preach (Matthew 10:7,27; Mark 16:15; 2 Tim. 4:2).
124. Present your body to God (Romans 12:1).
125. Provide things honestly (Romans 12:17).
126. Provoke not your children to wrath (Ephes. 6:4; Col. 3:21).
127. Purge out the old leaven (evil influence) (1 Cor. 5:7).
128. Purify your hearts of doubt (James 4:8).
129. Put others in remembrance of the essentials (2 Tim. 2:14).
130. Quench not the Spirit (1 Thes. 5:19).
131. Raise the dead (Matthew 10:8).
132. Receive (accept) weak brethren (Romans 14:1).
133. Receive one another (Romans 15:7).
134. Receive the Word with meekness (James 1:21).
135. Reckon yourself as dead to sin (Romans 6:11).
136. Reckon yourself as alive to God (Romans 6:11).
137. Recognize the truth (1 Cor. 10:15).
138. Redeem the time (Ephes. 5:16; Col. 4:5).
139. Reject heretics (Titus 3:10).
140. Refuse to support young widows from church funds (1 Tim. 5:11).
141. Remind people of the seven things of Titus 3:1-2.
142. Render no evil for evil (1 Peter 3:9; Romans 12:17).
143. Repent (Matthew 3:2; Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15; Acts 2:38; Acts 3:19; Rev. 2:16; Rev. 3:19).
144. Resist not evil (Matthew 5:38-39).
145. Resist the devil (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9).
146. Restore backslider in meekness, considering your own life (Galatians 6:1).
147. Run to obtain (1 Cor. 9:24).
148. Salute none by the way (Luke 10:4).
149. Salute your leaders (Hebrews 13:24).
150. Sanctify God in your heart (1 Peter 3:15).
151. Save some with fear (Jude 1:23).
152. Search the Scriptures (John 5:39).
153. Seek not eats and drinks (Luke 12:29).
154. Sell to help the needy (Luke 12:33).
155. Serve the Lord (Romans 12:1).
156. Servants, obey masters (Ephes. 6:5-8; Col. 3:22-25; 1 Peter 2:18).
157. Set the least to judge (1 Cor. 6:4).
158. Set your affections above ( Col. 3:2).
159. Shake off the dust of your feet (Matthew 10:14; Mark 6:11; Luke 9:5; Luke 10:10-11).
160. Show charity to other ministers (Luke 9:49-50).
161. Show yourself as a pattern (Titus 2:7).
162. Show fourthings of Titus 2:7-8.
163. Sin not (1 Cor. 15:34).
164. Sing with grace in heart (Col. 3:16).
165. Shun vain babblings (2 Tim. 2:16).
166. Speak and do things in view of the judgment day (James 2:12).
167. Speak truth (Ephes. 4:25).
168. Speak sound doctrine (Titus 2:1).
169. Speak no evil of your brethren (James 4:11).
170. Stablish your hearts (James 5:8).
171. Strengthen your feeble knees (Hebrews 12:12).
172. Strive together for the gospel faith (Phil. 1:27).
173. Study to be quiet (1 Thes. 4:11).
174. Study (be diligent) to show yourself approved (2 Tim. 2:15).
175. Support the weak (1 Thes. 5:14).
176. See that no one renders evil for evil (1 Thes. 5:15).
177. Swear not (James 5:12; Matthew 5:33-36).
178. Tarry one for another (1 Cor. 11:33).
179. Tarry for power (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-8).
180. Teach one another (Col. 3:16).
181. Teach no other doctrine that the truth (1 Tim. 1:3).
182. Tell your brother his fault alone first (Matthew 18:15-17).
183. Trust God for your needs as you work (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3; Luke 10:4).
184. Understand the will of God (Ephes. 5:17).
185. Use not your liberty as an occasion to sin (Galatians 5:13; 1 Peter 1:16).
186. Use hospitality without grudging (1 Peter 4:9).
187. Warn the unruly (1 Thes. 5:14).
188. Watch and pray (Matthew 24:42; Matthew 25:13; Mark 13:33,35; Mark 14:38; Luke 21:36; Ephes. 6:18; Col. 4:2).
189. Watch in all things (2 Tim. 4:5; 1 Cor. 16:13).
190. Weep with others (Romans 12:15).
191. Withdraw from disorderly brethren (2 Thes. 3:6,14).
192. Withdraw from evil people (1 Tim. 6:3-6).
193. Wives of deacons must be faithful in all things (1 Tim. 3:11).
194. Wives, submit to your husbands (Ephes. 5:22; Col. 3:18; 1 Peter 3:1-6).
195. Work with your own hands (1 Thes. 4:11).
196. Work, or do not eat (2 Thes. 3:10-11).
197. Work out own salvation (Phil. 2:12).
198. Yield not your members to sin (Romans 6:13).
199. Yield yourself to God (Romans 6:13).
200. Yield your members to righteousness (Romans 6:13).

Two eternal rights of the redeemed:

1. Right to the tree of life
2. Right to enter the New Jerusalem

http://timwalkerjr.com/2009/01/04/new-testament-commandments/

Eden
unregistered

Before she deleted it, Carol Swenson responded with
quote:
1 John 5:3
This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome.

Okay ... since His commands are not burdensome, what are they? If they are not burdensome, they must be pretty easy, right? So, what are His commands that are not burdensome, Carol Swenson? Can you put them in a little list for me?

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But then some begin to add more things to this, and say, "Oh, but a relationship must follow this belief".

Judas had "a relationship" with our Lord Jesus Christ. So does Satan.
Eden
unregistered

KnowHim wrote to Eden
quote:
Yes seems like you are very, very confused if you think saying the sinners prayer saves you.

Knowing Jesus Christ is what saves you. Just mouthing words does not. Yes one would start by praying to our Lord Jesus Christ but that is only the first step.

One must be born-again in order to be saved. That means their life is changed to live for Jesus.

Okay, let me see if I understand this.

Let's say that an as-yet-unsabed sinner has been reading the Bible for the last year to see if what it says in the Bible might be true.

So the time comes when this sinner decides to believe God when God says in the Bible that Jesus is the Lord from heaven who was born of Mary by the Holy Spirit, and not from the Adamic line.

And the time comes when this sinner decides to believe God when God says in the Bible that Jesus was the Son of the Living God.

And the time comes when this sinner decides to believe God when God says in the Bible that Jesus suffered and died on the cross so that the sinner does not have to die anymore.

And the time comes when this sinner decides to believe God when God says in the Bible that Jesus died on the cross and rose again on the third day and ascended to heaven.

At that point, it seems that we have the following condition present in the sinner who has now believed God:

Romans 10
9 That, if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and shall believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Or as it was written about Abraham:

Romans 4:3
For what says the scripture? Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness.

Romans 11:30
For as you in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief.

Galatians 3:6
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

James 2:23
And the scripture was fulfilled which said, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for righteousness; and he was called the Friend of God.

The above New Testament verses refer back to Genesis 15, where Abram was promised by God that Abram would have "descendants like the sand of the sea":

Genesis
3 Then Abram said, Behold, to me You have given no seed: and look, one born in my house is my heir.

4 And, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, This one shall not be your heir; but he who shall come forth out of your own bowels shall be your heir.

5 And He brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if you be able to number them; and He said to him, So shall your seed be.

6 And he {Abram] believed the LORD; and He counted it to him for righteousness.

What has Abram done? Abram believed the LORD, and Abram's belief was counted to him for righteousness.

So, to get back to our sinner who has been reading the Bible and listening to sermon tapes and this sinner now believes that what God says in the Bible about Jesus is true, and Romans 10:9-10 then says that this sinner is saved through his belief: the sinner's belief was counted to him as righteousness, and he was saved at that point, right?

But then some begin to add more things to this, and say, "Oh, but a relationship must follow this belief".

Okay, so let's say that this now-saved sinner continues to believe that Jesus was the Lord from heaven and that Jesus died in his place and that Jesus rose again and ascended into heaven ...

... but this saved sinner has many obligations and is very busy raising his children and they amuse themselves, then at what point AFTER his salvation through belief is it said, "well, he never really 'developed a relationship' with Jesus", so now his salvation must be taken away?

The righteousness that Abram received from God was never a righteousness that Abram attained through good works, but through believing that God was telling the truth when God promised Abram that he would have numerous seed.

And does Paul not say this very same thing to us in the New Testament?

Romans 11:30
For as you in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief.

Galatians 3:6
Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Romans 10
10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

When a sinner comes to the point that he or she believes that what God says about jesus has to be true, at that moment the sinner's belief is accounted to him as righteousness.

This is not a righteousness that is earned by the sinner later on, after being saved, as if now his relationship with God now becomes the determining factor whether he is saved or not, because the Bible says it is an imputed righteosness, even for us Christians, so it cannot be earned in any way later, right?

Romans 4
3 For what says the scripture? Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness.

4 Now, to him who works is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him who does not work, but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

6 Even as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven and whose sins are covered.

8 Yes, blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

What shall we say then? Shall we sin since our sin is not imputed to us? God forbid. Let us not use our liberty in Christ Jesus as a license or opportunity for sin.

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things I write to you, that you do not sin. But if any man sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

So is a person saved once they say the sinner's prayer? That depends on what they understood when they said the prayer.

Did they come to the conclusion from reading the Bible and from hearing sermons, that Jesus was the Lord from heaven and that Jesus died for them and rose again from the grave on the third day?

If that person said the sinner's prayer as a consequence of finally having understood all that about Jesus, then yes, that person is saved.

But what of a person who has walked into a church for the first time and has never heard anything about Jesus before, and yet this person is greatly moved "for some reason" by the sermon and by the little that he has heard so far, and he "knows that something is different here" than he has ever felt before, and that person "says the sinner's prayer on that very day", is that sufficient "belief in what God said about Jesus" to have "righteousness imputed to him through belief"?

But is it not the truth that most people who end up saying the sinner's prayer do so, not after only one visit or after hearing just one sermon, but most sinners say the prayer after many sermons or after considerable searching of the Bible himself?

In those cases, has he not come over time to true belief that what God says in the Bible was true? And then that belief was accounted to him for righteouss and his sins were covered and forgiven?

Romans 4
6 Even as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness without works,

8 Yes, blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Blessed is that man indeed, isn't he?

love, Eden

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is not one mortal man that can tell another he is saved. For one thing Gods word teaches-- Those who endure till the end will be saved ( thats the bottom line ) For a mortal man to be able to tell another that they are saved, he would have to be able to read their true hearts ( he cannot ) or if he has seen their name written in the book of life, which is in Gods possesion. ( he hasnt ) . the answer is no.
John 6:63-71 (KJV)

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. 65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. 66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. 67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. 69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God. 70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? 71 † He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnowHim:
Is a person saved once they say the sinners prayer ?

-

Watch this Paul Washer video:
http://churchwebs.tv/video/200/is-a-person-saved-once-they-say-the-sinners-prayer-

NO not unless they actually come to know Jesus Christ, repent of their sins and follow Him. They can say millions of sinners prayers but until they come to know Him they are lost!

1 John 2:3-6 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, I know him, but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is ... Read Morenot in him. But if anyone obeys his word, Gods love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Hi, There is not one mortal man that can tell another he is saved. For one thing Gods word teaches-- Those who endure till the end will be saved ( thats the bottom line ) For a mortal man to be able to tell another that they are saved, he would have to be able to read their true hearts ( he cannot ) or if he has seen their name written in the book of life, which is in Gods possesion. ( he hasnt ) . the answer is no.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
John 1:12
But as many as RECEIVED Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them who BELIEVE on His name.

Is a person saved once they say the sinner's prayer?

In the context of this Topic title, what does it mean to RECEIVE Him, when John 1:12 says that those who RECEIVE Him and BELIEVE on His name, He GAVE them the power to become the sons of God?

RECEIVING Him and BELIEVING in His name does not require much work on our part (it's only "receiving Him" and "believing on His name"), so WHAT additional WORK do we have to DO in addition to be given the power to become the sons of God? I'm confused ...

love, Eden

Hi Eden, The quote says he gave them ( meaning all who want to be a true christian ) the power to become the sons of God ( meaning it is in the humans part to apply this power, 24/7, like Jesus did ) to become a son of God.( not that they were sons of God at that point.)

rev 3:12

MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Ok...

Here is an analogy that I belieive will clear up any confusion.

A real life situation...

Lets say that you meet the perfect guy/girl -- you can get to know this person a little, say I love you and never talk to the person after that.

Just because you said I love you doesn't mean you are in a releationship, it just means you said empty words that you didn't mean and then went your own way...

Why would that guy/girl you said that to even condiser you a loved one? They wouldn't

Same thing wtih God.

You can say the Lord Prayer -- or any other prayer -- but if you don't work on your releationship after that --

either by the things you do, the prayers you pray, etc. God will more than likeley not consider you and he in a relationship...

It's really common since when you think about it.

When I pray, I talk to God sometimes like I would if he were standing in front of me.

Work on your relationship with him like you would with someone you loved in this life...

You can't expect God to follow you around like a love sick puppy because you scratch behind his ear one time -- figuritvely speaking of course [Smile]

but you get the point.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
RECEIVING Him and BELIEVING in His name does not require much work on our part (it's only "receiving Him" and "believing on His name"), so WHAT additional WORK do we have to DO in addition to be given the power to become the sons of God? I'm confused ...

love, Eden

Yes seems like you are very, very confused if you think saying the sinners prayer saves you. Knowing Jesus Christ is what saves you. Just mouthing words does not. Yes one would start by praying to our Lord Jesus Christ but that is only the first step. One must be born-again in order to be saved. That means their life is changed to live for Jesus. What part of the below don't you understand:

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Bloodbought wrote to Eden
quote:
If one has been offered free medication by a doctor for an illness and they refuse to believe in it or receive it, but they call the doctor and ask him for a cure, what good is asking if they will not believe in, or receive the medication?
What was the last time that someone received free medication from his doctor, and then "did not believe in it or receive it"? That just does not happen. People have faith in their doctor (after all, he's their doctor), and if the doctor says "here is some free medication, take this, it should cure what ails you", people believe the doctor and receive it and they take the medication.

Likewise, since this was your analogy, when God says, "as many as received Him (Jesus), to them He gave the right to become sons of God", and "believed on His Name", when people believe that God meant that, just like they believe their doctor meant that, people believe God and received Jesus, and "to them He gave the right".

It's nonsensical to say that people don't believe their doctor; that just does not happen.

love, Eden

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But as many as RECEIVED Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them who BELIEVE on His name.

Is a person saved once they say the sinner's prayer?

In the context of this Topic title, what does it mean to RECEIVE Him, when John 1:12 says that those who RECEIVE Him and BELIEVE on His name, He GAVE them the power to become the sons of God?

love, Eden

Saying the sinner’s prayer is not believing and receiving Him. Saying the sinner’s prayer can be nothing more than a ritual.

If one has been offered free medication by a doctor for an illness and they refuse to believe in it or receive it, but they call the doctor and ask him for a cure, what good is asking if they will not believe in, or receive the medication?

The cure for sin must be believed in and received to be effective, not just asked for like in the sinner’s prayer.

One can believe and receive Him without saying or doing anything. It is accomplished by the quickening of the spirit.

Praise God we have believed, and received Him, and He has made us spiritually alive for eternity.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MentorsRiddle [thumbsup2]
quote:
I think that WE choose if we want to be with Christ or not... What you are speaking of if pre-selection.. if that is the case then why even be here at all? That would imply that God created some of us for the sole reason of going to Hell and damnation. I can't agree with this. I think Christ denies us if we deny him.
Carol [thumbsup2]
quote:
So why would someone deceive himself or herself into believing that saying a few quick words at an altar call is any indication that they are saved? Yet many do just that. If you are truly saved, there should be some indication of that in your life. We cannot add to what Christ did on the cross, but if Christ is your Savior and Lord and the Holy Spirit is living inside of you, that should manifest itself in some way, shape, and form. You should want to do the will of your Heavenly Father. You should love Jesus' name. You should crave His Word. You should hate sin. You should not see salvation as something that gives you a license to sin.
Is a person saved once they say the sinners prayer?

NO

To understand salvation you must first understand Yahweh's principle of "Seed time and harvests" ...

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

salvation is not instantaneous ....salvation is the planting of the seed of the scripture into the heart of man and the maturing of the seed until Christ is formed in man....My little children, with whom I am again in travail until Christ be formed in you! I could wish to be present with you now and to change my tone, for I am perplexed about you.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement