Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Treasures in Heaven

Author Topic: Treasures in Heaven
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 6:19-21

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Anything that is pleasing to God our Father is of eternal significance, worth, and value. That may include worship and adoration, praise and prayer, loving other people, caring for them, serving them, and sharing the good news with them.

Salvation is a gift that we cannot possibly earn, but the gift of salvation does not negate the eternal significance of our words and actions following salvation. Every good deed, every tender mercy, every kindness shown is a treasure in heaven. Jesus urges us to cherish, to treasure, to value what is heavenly, lasting, and eternal.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol Swenson's article said
quote:
Nothing brings greater joy to the heart of a Christian than that of laying up treasures in heaven. He so loves and enjoys adding to his heavenly store that he is eagerly seizing upon every opportunity for the making of such addition.
Personally I NEVER think that there is "no greater joy than laying up treasures in heaven"; I just never think that way.

What then gives ME my greatest Christian joy? It is thinking during the day of how the resurrected and ascended Jesus in heaven was willing to die and suffer greatly for me on the cross, thinking about HIM gives me the greatest Christian joy, NOT this:
quote:
Nothing brings greater joy to the heart of a Christian than that of laying up treasures in heaven.
I'm so busy being thankful to Jesus and for the privilege of having received salvation that I NEVER even think of "laying up treasures in heaven", although no doubt as a consequence of loving Jesus I "am" laying up treasures in heaven also. But laying up treasures is "by no means my greatest joy as a Christian" and I am surprised that it would be ANY Christian's "greatest source of joy".

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN TB125!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I pray that my statements are encouraging and can help each of my viewers to focus on that which is really good, that has eternal value.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post indeed!

quote:
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.”* (Matthew 12:36)
This quote above made me stop and think for a moment... just how much in the past few days have I said something that was mean towards my fellow brothers and sisters in the lord?

Too many times, I regreat to say.

But that just re-affirms my decision for Christ -- the fact that I am forgiven for those things.

Now, I just feel guilt for the things I have done, but that is the Holy Spirit working on my soul.

Sometimes we have to be stronger and rise above the flesh.

Onece we have risen above the flesh, we can begin to store our treasures where they belong, in the Holy dominion of the Lord.

Great post, thanks for your time in posting it.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a website that focuses on topics, aspects of Christianity, virtues, and gifts that are good for eternity. They have eternal value. Their benefits are guaranteed not just for one's lifetime, but forever. It is entitled "Christianity and other good topics", and it can be seen at http://christianityetc.org Check it out. I seek to say a lot about "heavenly treasures".

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true practicalbibleteaching

Materialism will enslave the heart (Matt. 6:19-21), the mind (Matt. 6:22-23), and the will (Matt. 6:24). We can become shackled by the material things of life, but we ought to be liberated and controlled by the Spirit of God.

If the heart loves material things, and puts earthly gain above heavenly investments, then the result can only be a tragic loss. The treasures of earth may be used for God. But if we gather material things for ourselves, we will lose them; and we will lose our hearts with them. Instead of spiritual enrichment, we will experience impoverishment.

What does it mean to lay up treasures in heaven? It means to use all that we have for the glory of God. It means to “hang loose” when it comes to the material things of life. It also means measuring life by the true riches of the kingdom and not by the false riches of this world.

Wealth not only enslaves the heart, but it also enslaves the mind (Matt. 6:22-23). God’s Word often uses the eye to represent the attitudes of the mind. If the eye is properly focused on the light, the body can function properly in its movements. But if the eye is out of focus and seeing double, it results in unsteady movements. It is most difficult to make progress while trying to look in two directions at the same time.

If our aim in life is to get material gain, it will mean darkness within. But if our outlook is to serve and glorify God, there will be light within. If what should be light is really darkness, then we are being controlled by darkness; and outlook determines outcome.

Finally, materialism can enslave the will (Matt. 6:24). We cannot serve two masters simultaneously. Either Jesus Christ is our Lord, or money is our lord. It is a matter of the will. “But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare” (1 Tim. 6:9). If God grants riches, and we use them for His glory, then riches are a blessing. But if we will to get rich, and live with that outlook, we will pay a great price for those riches.

(Wiersbe)

practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the post Carol

Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Laying Up Treasures in Heaven

Nothing brings greater joy to the heart of a Christian than that of laying up treasures in heaven. He so loves and enjoys adding to his heavenly store that he is eagerly seizing upon every opportunity for the making of such addition. No miser ever counted his gold with such joy as the Christian reflects upon his riches in glory. But how different the nature of the joy. The one is “earthly, sensual, devilish,”* (James 3:15) while the other is heavenly. How sweet, how blessed the joy! No man in his earthly pursuits manifests such interest and eagerness as the saint in his heavenly pursuits. The Christians should have a thousand times more interest, and find a thousand times greater joy, in laying up treasures in heaven than ever man did in laying up earthly store, for heavenly riches are a thousand times and more of greater value than earthly goods.

Jesus tells us not to lay up our treasures on earth, but to lay them up in heaven (Matthew 6:19-20). What Jesus tells us to do is the wisest thing to do. Some act like they thought they knew what was better for them more than Jesus did. The reason why it is better to lay up treasures in heaven than on earth is because “where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”* (Matthew 6:21) Now it is most necessary to get your heart over into heaven, for no man ever went to heaven who did not get his heart over there before his departure from here. Laying up treasures in heaven fits man for heaven. Nothing more greatly ennobles and builds up his character. The laying up of treasures upon earth makes men earthly, while the laying of them up in heaven makes them heavenly. It is not what we make that makes us rich, but what we give. We are rich or poor, not according to what we have, but according to what we are. Do not turn to your bank account or your broad acres to see what you are worth. Look into your character. We say with emphasis that no man can build up a Christian character and not do all he can with his means to advance God’s cause.

Having the heart in heaven is the secret of living heavenly. “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.”* (Matthew 12:34) “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”* (Proverbs 4:23) Man lives out what is in the heart. To live heavenly, you must have heaven in your heart and your heart in heaven. We doubt if any other thing that God’s people are coming short of doing the whole will of God so much as in that of giving of their means to further His cause.

It is not how well read we are in the Scriptures, or how much we talk about religion, that is proof of our devotedness to God; it is what we are giving to God out of pure love to Him.

Some may want to know a little better how we can lay up treasures in heaven. There are many, many ways. We can speak of but a few. Every dime or dollar you give out of love to God is a treasure laid up in heaven. Just the extent of this treasure we do not know, but of this we are assured: every penny you give out of sincere love to God ennobles your soul and gives you a greater capacity for enjoying heaven. Herein is a great treasure. There is never a word spoken, nor a deed done that is lost. We are never the same after speaking a word or doing a deed. The words we speak and the deeds we do make us more or less like Christ, and fit or unfit us more for heaven. Listen to the words of Jesus, “And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall no wise lose his reward.”* (Matthew 10:42) We repeat, we do not know the full extent of the reward, but it is true that the small acts of giving a cup of water in love is not lost upon the giver. It builds him up into manhood. You may say that the giving of a cup of water is a very trifling act. Do you remember the words of the famous painter? “Trifles make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.” Again Jesus says, “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.”* (Matthew 12:36) We are not the same after speaking an idle word, nor are we the same after giving a cup of cold water. The one makes us a little more like Christ, the other a little less like Him, and this much at least will be our gain or loss in the day of judgment.

Every soul we can help get saved will be a treasure laid up in heaven. We will not only have the joy of seeing a soul brought home to heaven through our effort, but the helping of a soul also lifts us up into a higher life. Every word of praise and thanksgiving to God, every loving thought of Him is laying up treasure in heaven. Every act of sacrifice or self-denial out of love to Christ is adding to our treasure store in the glory world. Oh, how busy we ought to be laying up treasures in heaven! Every act of true worship to God is a treasure in heaven. Whatever thought or word, or deed, or song, or sermon, or prayer or sacrifice, or self-denial, that makes us a little more like Jesus, and makes our life on earth a little more heavenly, is a treasure laid up in heaven. Look and see how busy men are laying up treasures on earth. Let us, as citizens in the kingdom of God, be many times more busy laying up treasures in heaven. Let us follow in the footsteps of Jesus who “went about doing good.”

http://library.timelesstruths.org/texts/Heavenly_Life_for_Earthly_Living/Laying_Up_Treasures_in_Heaven/

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement