Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How Faith and Works Go Together

Author Topic: How Faith and Works Go Together
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dearest Eden, thanks for your comments.

Repentance as it concerns the salvation of the soul is a change of mind or a reconsidering about one's condition. Such as: I thought I was okay, but now through the teaching or preaching of God's Word I realize I need to trust Christ for my salvation.

As a born again child of God I believe we have been called to a lifetime of repenting. Example: As God's child I sin against Him through an attitude of pride. Through God's Word and the Holy Spirit that wrong attitude is identified to me. I need to repent and confess my sin to God so that I may avoid chastening and fellowship with Him might be what it should.

Belief in Christ that brings salvation is more than just an intellectual acknowledgment to a fact. The fact being that Jesus died for my sins and rose again. In John 3:16 the word believeth means more than just accepting a fact as true.

Enhanced Strong's Lexicon - 1 to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in. 1a of the thing believed. 1a1 to credit, have confidence. 1b in a moral or religious reference. 1b1 used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul. 1b2 to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith. 2 to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity. 2a to be intrusted with a thing.

The meaning of the word faith as it is used in scripture concerning salvation is very much the same as above. When you trust in someone you commit your well being to them. You rely upon them and expect certain things from them. You also will be inclined to reverence this person and their opinions will carry weight with you. You enter into a relationship with them. These things you cannot do without your life being affected.

How much change there is in a Christian's life will depend upon the level of fellowship they maintain with God, how they nurture their relationship with Him. Love of the Word of God, a desire to speak with Him in prayer, and worshiping with others in the house of God are all basic characteristics which I believe will be in the life of someone who has been born again.

As far as what I think about the majority of professing Christians in the world, I feel there is only a minority of them that are truly saved. Opinions are like brains, everybody has one and some are better than others. What I gave you is just my opinion.

In the past it worried me about the professing Christians that needed to truly be saved, so much so that I began trying to pull up the tears from among the wheat. Then God let me see that by doing so I was damaging the wheat. Since that time I have remained concerned, but I realize now that it takes enlightenment from God show someone they are deceived, my words are just never going to do it on their own. So I try to declare the truth as often as I can and count on my God to do the rest.

I hope this might answer the questions you posted. I truly wish you all the best as you seek the one who gave Himself that we might be saved. God Bless You!

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, practicalbibleteaching (pbt), you wrote
quote:

... you will not find the phrase "repent of your sins" in the Bible anywhere, it is a phrase totally of man and not of God.

That's good to know, thanks for that info.

pbt continued
quote:
What God and His preachers have said in the scriptures is that people must repent. The word translated repent means to think differently, to reconsider, to have a change of mind. All other meanings you might find in a modern dictionary are just that "modern".

The most simple way I can describe what it means to repent is that you must change your mind about the way to heaven.

In Christ's time many believed they could get to heaven through keeping the law, they had to repent to really get saved.

In our time many believe they must do and continue to do certain things to go to heaven, they to must repent. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Okay, good stuff...

pbt continued
quote:
This opens up another can of worms because now I may be accused of saying, "make your profession of faith and then live however you please, sin all you want, and still go to heaven.
The apostle Paul ran into this same problem: if salvation is a free gift from God merely by believing that Jesus died in my place, then does that mean that as a Christian I can now "live worse than I have ever lived?".

The illogic of this becomes quickly apparent, because "Why would a Christian now act WORSE than he has before once the Christian is thankful to God that God has saved him? That just would not happen. If anything, the saved Christian is going to look for ways to be a little nicer.

Paul and Peter addressed the issue in their time also. First they said that because salvation of eternal life is a free gift, that we have "liberty in Jesus":

Galatians 2:4
And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our [b]liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage.

Because Jesus has died 100% for my sins, I am technically free to "do whatever I like in my life now because it is all 100% forgiven.

But it is illogical to think that anyone is now going to be worse after they are thankful that God has saved them. And so they,

1 Peter 2:16
As free, not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

So the answer is that the free gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ's work on the cross is completely a free gift from God as in,

Romans 4:8
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

But it is illogical to think that a saved Christian would now start to behave worse than BEFORE he was saved. At worst, he "stays about the same", except that he has the free gift now too.

practicalbibleteaching finished with
quote:
If being born again by grace through faith in Christ doesn't change your life, you still need to repent because those God saves He indwells and begins to change from the inside out. There will be fruit in the life of someone who knows Jesus Christ.
practicalbibleteaching, by "change your life", do you mean that they "now like to read the Bible" whereas before they thought the Bible was nonsense?

And by "change your life", do you mean that they "now like to pray" whereas before they did not pray?

Do you mean that they should now be making a conscious effort NOT to steal or lie when the opportunity to steal or lie presents itself?

What "changes in your life" were you thinking of that "should show up in a believer's life" if they have genuinely repented ... with repented, meaning "having turned to the right method whereby one can be saved"?

So tell me, what is your opinion about the majority of Christians in the entire world ... are they "saved" or "not saved"?

And, is it possible to "be saved by belief in what Jesus did for me" (i.e., the FREE GIFT of eternal life) AND not see much of a change in the Christian's daily suburban life, except that now the Christian thinks that the Bible is the Word of God and not nonsense like he thought before?

If the majority of Christians "hardly bear any fruit", as seems to be the case, do they still have the "free gift of eternal life" as a grace gift from God by merely believing that Jesus died for them? In other words, is the majority of Christians actually "not saved unto eternal life"?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Eden for the info on the word repent. In my post I was concerned about how the word was used in conjunction with and as a prerequisite to believing the gospel of Christ. The Old Testament examples you gave were good ones, but they do not concern an individual being born again.

Thanks for reading the post I hope in some way it was a blessing.

--------------------

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Relationship Is Defined in Terms of a Vine (John 15:1-3)

Our Lord described the new relationship between Himself and His followers in terms of a vine and its branches in the first three verses. He is the true vine, believers are the branches, and the Father is the vine-keeper.

The Lord Jesus is the true vine. This word true is used primarily in two senses in the New Testament. First of all it denotes that which is true or genuine in contrast to that which is false or spurious. Surely our Lord is the one genuine vine in whom we should abide, and surely we understand that there are other “false” vines. But this I do not think to be the emphasis which our Lord intends here. This word “true” is also used of that which is the ultimate realization, or here, of that which is the heavenly reality which transcends any earthly counterpart. I think, then, that Jesus is saying that whereas the vine was a picture of Israel in the Old Testament, He is the fullest realization of Israel’s hope, of their expectations, of what God intended her to be as her Messiah. Israel, as a vine, was an utter failure; it never achieved its goal. Our Lord Jesus Christ Who came as the True Vine would accomplish all Israel failed to do.

As the true vine our Lord is the source of life and strength and fruit. There is a relationship of complete dependence between the branch and the vine. The vine supplies life-giving nourishment to the branches. Apart from it, the branches have neither life nor fruit.

As the branches, we are the visible manifestation of the life of the vine. We are the instruments of fruit-bearing. Since our Lord’s ascension into heaven, the church has been the body of Christ. The world is to see Him in us—we are His hands, His feet, His mouth. The Lord once ministered in His earthly body, but now ministers and reveals His life in His spiritual body. What Jesus began to do and teach (Acts 1:1), His church now continues to do and say.

The Father is intimately involved in this relationship between the vine and the branches. He deals with the unfruitful branches. Even those branches which are fruitful receive His care in order to effect greater fruitfulness.

Lest the mention of removing unfruitful branches create any doubts or fears, Jesus assured the disciples that they had already demonstrated their genuineness and sincerity. They had already been cleansed by faith in His words (verse 3). The word ‘clean’ in verse 3 is the same expression used earlier by our Lord of saving faith. “He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you” (John 13:10). His true followers were saved; they were ‘clean.’ Only Judas was unclean, due to his unbelief.
Our Responsibilities in the Vine (vss 4-8)

Verses 1-3 pertain to our position, while verses 4-8 speak of our practice. We come to the first imperative (or command) of the chapter in verse 4. Here our Lord tells us what we are to do as branches in Him. “Abide in Me, and I in you” (John 15:4a).

This is our Christian responsibility—to “abide” in Christ. John is fond of this word “abide.” He uses the term (meno) over fifty times in his writings; eleven times in this chapter. Underlying the meaning of this term is the idea of belief. Negatively this is seen in chapter five of John’s gospel: “And you do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent” (John 5:38).

Positively, it occurs in this sense of belief in chapter six: “He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him” (John 6:56).

Abiding, then, requires a belief in the sacrificial work of Jesus Christ on our behalf. It is a dependence upon His provision of life and strength that is emphasized in John 15:4. It is a belief and a relation with the person of Jesus Christ and His Word (John 15:7).

In addition, the idea of remaining or enduring is implied by the word abide. “The multitude therefore answered Him, ‘We have heard out of the Law that the Christ is to remain (abide) forever, and how can you say, ‘The Son of man must be lifted up’?” (John 12:34).

This is clearly the force of the term in verse 16: “You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain” (John 15:16). Abiding is believing, depending, and persevering.

The principle behind the command of our Lord to abide is stated both negatively and positively in verses 4 and 5. Negatively, it is impossible to bear fruit without abiding. Positively, if one abides in Christ he will bear much fruit. Abiding is essential for fruit bearing.

The necessity of abiding is further demonstrated in verses 6-8. In verse 6 we are given a negative illustration of the results if we do not abide. In verses 7 and 8 we learn the benefits of abiding.

Failing to abide is more than just a hindrance to fruitfulness; it is a severing from the source of life. Not to abide leads to death and destruction. “If anyone does not abide in Me he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned” (John 15:6).

I do not believe that Jesus is here teaching that we can lose our salvation by failing to abide. He is simply showing that abiding is not an option, but an essential requirement for life. To not abide is to face the inevitable consequence which is death and judgment.

On the positive side, abiding in Christ results in conformity to the Word of God. The one in whom the Word abides can be confident of receiving the answers to his prayers for he will pray according to the will of God. “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you” (John 15:7).

Furthermore, by abiding in Christ we are caused to bear fruit which brings glory to the Father and thereby demonstrates our discipleship (verse 8).

Copied from Bible.org

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The author of the article brought up the meaning of the word "repent", so I thought I would contribute what Strong's Concordance says about "repent" in the Bible.

In the Old Testament, repent 5162 is the most common word for repent:

1Samuel 15:29 And also the Strength 5331 of Israel 3478 will not lie 8266 nor repent 5162: for he [is] not a man 120, that he should repent 5162.

Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor 3988 [myself], and repent 5162 in dust 6083 and ashes 665.

There is also a second word for repent in the Old Testament:

Eze 14:6 Therefore say 559 unto the house 1004 of Israel 3478, Thus saith 559 the Lord 136 GOD 3069; Repent 7725, and turn 7725 [yourselves] from your idols 1544; and turn away 7725 your faces 6440 from all your abominations 8441.

Repent 7725 and turn 7725 and turn away 7725.

In the New Testament:

Mark 6:12 And 2532 they went out 1831 , and preached 2784 that 2443 men should repent 3340.

Mar 1:15 And 2532 saying 3004 , 3754 The time 2540 is fulfilled 4137 , and 2532 the kingdom 932 of God 2316 is at hand 1448 : repent ye 3340, and 2532 believe 4100 1722 the gospel 2098.

The Old Testament words:

5162 nacham naw-kham' a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself):--comfort (self), ease (one's self), repent(-er,-ing, self).

7725 shuwb shoob a primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbial, again:--((break, build, circumcise, dig, do anything, do evil, feed, lay down, lie down, lodge, make, rejoice, send, take, weep)) X again, (cause to) answer (+ again), X in any case (wise), X at all, averse, bring (again, back, home again), call (to mind), carry again (back), cease, X certainly, come again (back), X consider, + continually, convert, deliver (again), + deny, draw back, fetch home again, X fro, get (oneself) (back) again, X give (again), go again (back, home), (go) out, hinder, let, (see) more, X needs, be past, X pay, pervert, pull in again, put (again, up again), recall, recompense, recover, refresh, relieve, render (again), requite, rescue, restore, retrieve, (cause to, make to) return, reverse, reward, + say nay, send back, set again, slide back, still, X surely, take back (off), (cause to, make to) turn (again, self again, away, back, back again, backward, from, off), withdraw.

The New Testament word:

3340. metanoeo met-an-o-eh'-o from 3326 and 3539; to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (morally, feel compunction):--repent.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
James 2:14-26 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
I believe what this scripture is saying is similar to the saying, “you can walk the walk, but can you talk the talk.”

Basically, I think it is saying don’t be hypocritical. You can say you have faith, but that doesn’t mean you do.

What fruits do you produce through your faith?

What evidence is there of that faith?

Without the evidence of the faith, and the works there of, how can others learn from you and grow by your example?

Similar to a “Sunday Christian,” – someone who only worships God on Sundays in front of others, but never in their heart; save for when it is convenient for them.

quote:
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
quote:
If being born again by grace through faith in Christ doesn't change your life, you still need to repent because those God saves He indwells and begins to change from the inside out. There will be fruit in the life of someone who knows Jesus Christ
I couldn’t agree more…
Well stated.

quote:
The only way people can know the reality of our relationship with God is through what we do.
Because it is our works (or our fruit that we bear), which lets people know we are emissaries of God and his loyal subjects. People mainly judge based off our actions…

I can say I am a Christian, but if I’m known around town as a drug user, gang banger, and crack slinger then people will pay attention to that before they pay attention to me professing my Christianity.

You said:
quote:
Even if you don't agree with everything I have said here I hope somehow this has been a blessing to you. It's not my intention to tare anyone down, I want to help build you up. God Bless You!
I for one don’t think anyone could find fault with your statements…

They were very well written and organized and I agree with every thing you said…

Well done my friend.

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 15

1"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! there is a lot there my friend! These thoughts cross my mind though...

Remain in me...and I will remain in you...(John 15)

But, if any soul draw back...(Heb 10:38)

I believe in security in Christ as long as one continues "In Christ"

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please take time to read the following two passages very carefully, giving special attention to the words in bold italics. I am not trying to attack anyone's personal viewpoint or change everyone's mind to my way of thinking on this matter of faith and works. I just hope to give everyone who reads this some things to think about and with God's help, whether you agree with me or not, maybe you can be blessed.

Romans 4:1-8 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

James 2:14-26 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

To the average Christian there would seem to be some conflict between Paul and James on the matter of how a person is justified. The great reformer Martin Luther felt so strongly about justification by faith in Christ alone, he believed the epistle by James did not belong in scripture (you can verify this through info on the internet if you so choose). He was a great man of God, but he was wrong about James. The views of Paul and James on justification do not oppose one another they compliment one another. Read the passages again if necessary and see how Paul is concerned with what justifies a person before God, but James is concerned about what justifies a person before other people.

Justification Before God.

The Bible is very very clear about how justification before God takes place. Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. Romans 3:23-28 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. Two kinds of salvation in view here: salvation of the soul through washing, and salvation of the life through renewing. Jesus said in John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Wow, notice the present and future tense in Jesus' statement. Not only can we have everlasting life now, but we can be sure we will never come into condemnation. Consider the meaning of the word translated heareth in this verse: Enhanced Strong's Lexicon - translates as “hear” 418 times, “hearken” six times, “give audience” three times, “hearer” twice, and translated miscellaneously eight times. 1 to be endowed with the faculty of hearing, not deaf. 2 to hear. 2b to attend to, consider what is or has been said. 2c to understand, perceive the sense of what is said. 3 to hear something. 3a to perceive by the ear what is announced in one’s presence. 3b to get by hearing learn. 3c a thing comes to one’s ears, to find out, learn. 3e to give ear to a teaching or a teacher. 3f to comprehend, to understand. So you see the word heareth doesn't mean doeth, it means to understand or perceive what is said. This again leads one to believe that justification before God is through faith, not works. There are dozens of other passages I could list here, but you get the picture.

In saying these things it's not my intention to leave out the requirement of repentance, but I would differ with many about what it means to repent as it concerns salvation. First of all you will not find the phrase "repent of your sins" in the Bible anywhere, it is a phrase totally of man and not of God. What God and His preachers have said in the scriptures is that people must repent. The word translated repent means to think differently, to reconsider, to have a change of mind. All other meanings you might find in a modern dictionary are just that "modern". The most simple way I can describe what it means to repent is that you must change your mind about the way to heaven. In Christ's time many believed they could get to heaven through keeping the law, they had to repent to really get saved. In our time many believe they must do and continue to do certain things to go to heaven, they to must repent. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

This opens up another can of worms because now I may be accused of saying, "make your profession of faith and then live however you please, sin all you want, and still go to heaven. I'm not saying that at all. If being born again by grace through faith in Christ doesn't change your life, you still need to repent because those God saves He indwells and begins to change from the inside out. There will be fruit in the life of someone who knows Jesus Christ.

Justification Before Men

You may not agree with me, that James in his writing was concerned with justification before men, but if he was not and was talking about justification before God then Paul and James do seem to make conflicting statements. Whether you agree with me or not, stay with me for just a few more minutes. Why would James be concerned about justification before men. The answer is because Jesus was too. Matt 7:15-20 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. The only way people can know the reality of our relationship with God is through what we do. Jesus said in Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Tell me how you are going to be a true witness for Jesus Christ without fruit or good works, you can't because it is impossible. If we are going to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature we are going to do it by working for God. Every true God called preacher is going to preach about the need of fruit in the life of the believer because it is the only way we can win others to Christ. It is also the evidence that we have truly been saved by God's grace.

In closing let me say that many over the years have used verses similar to the following to try to prove that salvation can be had and then lost: Col 1:21-23 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister. I believe these kind of passages are in the Bible to let us know that those who have true faith in Christ will never turn from him. If someone has said, "well I use to believe in Jesus, but not anymore", you can mark it down they never knew Christ. A true believer in Christ would not back away from their faith in Him no matter what the cost. The reason is because they know Him. Consider this passage: Matt 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Preachers and miracle workers will profess their works before Christ and He will say to them, "I never knew you". Notice He did not say I knew you when you were doing right, but now I don't because you have turned away from me, He said, "I never knew you". These are people that despite all their good deeds never really knew Christ through repentance and faith. Some would say these people did miracles and cast out devils through the power of the devil. Matt 12:22-26 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? I will leave the thought there for you to make your own interpretation.

Even if you don't agree with everything I have said here I hope somehow this has been a blessing to you. It's not my intention to tare anyone down, I want to help build you up. God Bless You!

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement