Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » POWER TO OVERCOME

Author Topic: POWER TO OVERCOME
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeper wrote
quote:
Eden my friend (I hope) ...
Keeper, my friend...

Keeper continued
quote:
I wish you would get off this kick. Jesus wants us to think for ourselves. I think I know who led you to believe this but it simply isn't true.
Please know that I still think for myself, but what I think for myself is ONLY THIS, that Jesus's answers to life, as sent to me via the Holy Spirit, are much better answers than mine, and so I only need to think ONE THING: to implement Jesus's answers and NOT my answers, and for the rest I don't need to do much thinking, do I?

Keeper continued
quote:
... It just isn't practical to assume that where you sit right now that Jesus sat you there and types for you and tells you when to get up and breath and where to look, ETC.
Jesus does not type for me: I do the typing. But Jesus by the Holy Spirit does tell my spirit what I should type, as in "He guides my steps unto death":

Psalm 37:23
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD; and he delights in his way.

Psalm 85:13
Righteousness shall go before him; and shall set us in the way of his steps.

Proverbs 16:9
A man's heart devises his way: but the LORD directs his steps.

Keeper continued
quote:
He is your new Father, not your new Body. How can He adopt Himself? How can He forgive Himself when He is not in sin but you are?
Of course He is my new Father and His Son is my new Lord, and together they direct my life now that I am saved, by telling me from moment to moment what I should do next, and I do it (or not when I'm being stupid).

No robot here; only a smart man who implements the Wise Counsel of God and Jesus by way of the Holy Spirit. For God said (in so many words), "I will guide your steps after you are saved", and that I trust in, so that, whatsoever I hear or think, that I implement. God doesn't implement it for me, I implement it after I have heard what God had to say.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

WildB wrote
quote:
Eden proclaims!

"So I don't need to do my own thinking anymore about any given situation"

The Bible does not teach one to be a zombie?

Nor am I teaching that I am now a zombie. To the contrary, I am continually CHOOSING God's answer over my own answers. My own answers for life are stupid and moronic compared to the answers that Jesus sends to me from heaven by way of the Holy Spirit.

Thank God I'm smart enough to know MOST OF THE TIME that God's answers are WAAAAAAY better answers than my answers to life, and so I continually implement God's answers; but that does not make me a zombie, my friend, but that does make me a smart person.

love, Eden

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden my friend (I hope), I wish you would get off this kick. Jesus wants us to think for ourselves. I think I know who led you to believe this but it simply isn't true.

When you were a small child and your parents were in charge of you I expect that you accepted that didn't you? They did a lot for you and you accepted it, but didn't you still do things on your own. It just isn't practical to assume that where you sit right now that Jesus sat you there and types for you and tells you when to get up and breath and where to look, ETC.

He is your new Father, not your new Body. How can He adopt Himself? How can He forgive Himself when He is not in sin but you are?
He told us that we do sin but would Jesus sin?

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Cornelius Stam wrote, as posted by WildB,
quote:
We must look to Him in faith for the help we need in each separate battle.
Well, I don't consider going to the supermarket for some buttermilk and mushrooms "a battle", but I do think that we need to trust by faith that "God is really guiding my every step now from moment to moment", so I don't need to do my own thinking anymore about any given situation, but I need to simply trust that the Holy Spirit IS guiding me, Like God promised.

So it is not so much than God "helping me in each separate battle", but much more simply that God is "helping me from moment to moment", including the more major "battles" but also the "tiniest of interests that are occurring right now", God gives me ALL His Counsel for "every little thing" on "every day".

Now, that is the Power to Overcome, as the title of this Topic says: "Trusting that God IS guiding all my steps now that I am saved".

love, Eden

One persons battle is some folks " buttermilk and mushrooms at the supermarket".

Poor example.

Eden proclaims!

"So I don't need to do my own thinking anymore about any given situation"

The Bible does not teach one to be a zombie?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Cornelius Stam wrote, as posted by WildB,
quote:
We must look to Him in faith for the help we need in each separate battle.
Well, I don't consider going to the supermarket for some buttermilk and mushrooms "a battle", but I do think that we need to trust by faith that "God is really guiding my every step now from moment to moment", so I don't need to do my own thinking anymore about any given situation, but I need to simply trust that the Holy Spirit IS guiding me, Like God promised.

So it is not so much than God "helping me in each separate battle", but much more simply that God is "helping me from moment to moment", including the more major "battles" but also the "tiniest of interests that are occurring right now", God gives me ALL His Counsel for "every little thing" on "every day".

Now, that is the Power to Overcome, as the title of this Topic says: "Trusting that God IS guiding all my steps now that I am saved".

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along our highways, well placed at appropriate locations, are official signs which give us direction and warn us of danger. Most of these are the reflector type; that is, they are designed to reflect the light of auto headlamps. In darkness, they are invisible to anyone who travels without a light. But when our auto headlights are flashed upon these signs, they reflect back to us their message of guidance or caution. Their night-time aid to us depends upon the light we bring to them. They have no meaning for unlighted lamps.

God would like to guide us through the days and through the years of this life. His signs are out there—in all the appropriate places. But whether we see them will depend upon the light with which we approach them.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post to start my morning off, my frined.

[Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

Every true Christian knows by experience that the Holy Spirit does not, upon saving us, take possession of us and thenceforth supernaturally cause us to live lives pleasing to God. Rather, as with salvation, so with the Christian life, He operates in the believer "by grace through faith".

Powerful assistance to overcome sin is freely provided by grace, but this help must be appropriated by faith in each individual case. There is no blanket provision for continuous victory throughout our whole life. We must look to Him in faith for the help we need in each separate battle.

Thus the Scripture teaching with regard to victory over sin is not that it is not possible for the believer to sin, but rather that in any given case it is possible for him not to sin. Thus too, the question in times of temptation is generally whether we truly desire to overcome, for deliverance is freely provided by grace if we will but appropriate it by faith.

But just how is deliverance provided? The answer is: BY THE HOLY SPIRIT. No longer need the believer remain enslaved to sin; for the Holy Spirit within, who imparted spiritual life to begin with, will also impart strength to overcome temptation. When tried and unable even to pray as we ought, "the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities" and "maketh intercession for us" (Rom. 8:26). When weak and ill, we may be "strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man" (Eph.3:16). Indeed, the Spirit even strengthens God's people physically to overcome sin, for we read:

"But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken [strengthen] your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you" (Rom. 8:11).

And the following verse goes on to say:

"Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh" (Rom.8:12). The thought is that, since believers have the Holy Spirit to help them overcome sin, they are debtors -- and not to the flesh, but to God, to live pleasing to Him.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement