Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "Give and you shall receive" or "Of whatever You give me I will give a tenth?

Author Topic: "Give and you shall receive" or "Of whatever You give me I will give a tenth?
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.

I also beleive the main message the bible is trying to get across to us, at least a big message in my opinion, is that we must all work together and help each other.

I think if we were to all carry the mentality, "What can I do for someone else today," then this world would be like Eden.

Money and all that other jazz that corrupts humanity has got to come to an end if we are to ever see happiness.

Sorry for my rant just then LOL [Big Grin]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MentorsRiddle:

I think in the end though -- the true Christian thought process should be: It does not matter if I get back anything, I am just happy to give and help others.

A true Christian heart will do these things without thinking about what they will gain in return, but rather how they are helping their fellow bretheren and human family.

Your thoughts?

Amem I totally agree. The bible is written about Jesus Christ not about us. So if someone gets the point of the bible which is about doing what will make Him happy not us. Until people get this they will never be happy because it is not about us.

[Cross]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[quote]I believe the passage in Luke 6:38 is a promise that whatever we give God will give us back in some way. "For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

[/quote

I beleive it is important to remember that Luke 6:38 is simply a second part of the same thought which was started in Luke 6:37.

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

now we come ot Luke 6:38

give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

As we can see, from the previous statement, the line, "for with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again," speakes also of judgement, condemnation of others, and forgiveness.

Not just the nature of giving, which was ALSO included in that full thought, which is Luke 6:37-38.

I think in the end though -- the true Christian thought process should be: It does not matter if I get back anything, I am just happy to give and help others.

A true Christian heart will do these things without thinking about what they will gain in return, but rather how they are helping their fellow bretheren and human family.

Your thoughts?

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
practicalbibleteaching
Advanced Member
Member # 7755

Icon 15 posted      Profile for practicalbibleteaching     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under law God required His people to give a tenth which was the tithe. Under grace I do not believe God requires us to give, but He makes clear the blessings of doing it. Giving, especially to missions, allows us to be apart of what God is doing around the world. Also, no where in the New Testament is the tithe or a tenth mentioned except in referring back to before Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.

Under grace we should give out of love, not by command. If under law God's people were required to give a tenth, then under grace I would certainly not want to do less than that, in fact I feel I should do more.

I believe the passage in Luke 6:38 is a promise that whatever we give God will give us back in some way. "For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."

--------------------
The Church of Jesus Christ is perfect for those who are not!

Posts: 53 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it, "Give and you shall receive?", or is it "Of whatever You will give me I will give a tenth?"

On the one hand the Bible says, "Give and it shall be given to you", some "30-fold, some 60-fold, and some 100-fold".

Luke 6
38 Give, and it shall be given to you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And many Bible teachers RUN with that verse and have taught the Christians, "If you will give, then surely it shall be given you, 30-fold, 60-fold, or 100-fold", right?

But on the other hand, in a more ancient scripture than Luke, the Bible says that JACOB said to the LORD, "Of whatever You will give me, I will give the tenth part":

Genesis 28
20 And JACOB vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,

21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God,

22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that YOu will give me I will surely give the tenth to You.

So which is it, my Christian friends, is it, "Give and it shall be given to you", or is it "Of whatsoever You will give me, I will give a tenth"? These seem to be two directly opposite provisions, aren't they?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement