Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » BIRTH, DEATH AND REBIRTH

Author Topic: BIRTH, DEATH AND REBIRTH
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for Stam saying "some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth" I would suppose means that it was a brand new thing and quite hard to understand or believe.

Remember when Paul returned or wrote back to different churches saying "I do not want you to be ignorant about...." ?

Regardless, Paul got the message out. If Stam means now some don't believe Paul taught new birth, then they just don't know what they are talking about. Right?

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Cornelius Stam wrote, as posted by WildB,
quote:
Some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth, but they are wrong.
Who are these "some" who "suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth?" In all my years of being a Christian, I have NEVER heard anyone assert that Paul did not teach the new birth.

Indeed, Paul "abounded" in the teaching of the new birth, and that Cornelius Stam could assert that "some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth", seems to me very surprising and unlikely. That statement is probably nonsense.

love, Eden

What is nonsense is for one to think they have herd it all based on their fleshly seniority.

Weak.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cornelius Stam wrote, as posted by WildB,
quote:
Some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth, but they are wrong.
Who are these "some" who "suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth?" In all my years of being a Christian, I have NEVER heard anyone assert that Paul did not teach the new birth.

Indeed, Paul "abounded" in the teaching of the new birth, and that Cornelius Stam could assert that "some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth", seems to me very surprising and unlikely. That statement is probably nonsense.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup2] [thumbsup2]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In regeneration we are made partakers of the divine nature
Love this quote [Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nature of Regeneration

What is this new birth? It is a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17); the workmanship of God (Eph. 2:10). It is the germ of a new existence; the dawn of a new life. At regeneration a new nature is implanted (2 Peter 1:4); a new man is formed in the image of God (Eph. 4:24, with Col. 3:10). It is not the old improved, but the new begotten , leaving the born-again one a complex being, possessed of two natures , perfectly distinct, and entirely different in origin and character. The result of this is incessant conflict (Gal. 5:17).

It is of the utmost importance to understand what regeneration really is. By some it is understood to mean a change of creed, with others a change of conduct, but in Scripture it means a re-creation, a heavenly birth, the beginning of a new life . In nature the sinner is "alienated from the life of God" (Eph. 4:18); he is "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1). At regeneration the believer becomes a possessor of Divine life, a partaker of the Divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4). The old is still there, but sin is no longer the law of his being. He is able to say, "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" (Gal. 2:20). Christ becomes the object of his soul; he is able henceforth to say, "For to me to live is Christ." The flesh is not eradicated, it is not changed, but it no longer reigns . Like Nebuchadnezzar, who was deposed from his throne and driven from his palace, but was yet permitted to live within the borders of that land over which he once held sway, so the flesh is in the believer, but not in dominion over him.

http://www.wholesomewords.org/etexts/ritchie/regener.html

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB [thumbsup2] MentorsRiddle [thumbsup2]

Regeneration is the impartation of a new and divine life; a new creation; the production of a new thing. It is Gen. 1:26 over again. It is not the old nature altered, reformed, or re-invigorated, but a new birth from above . This is the teaching of such passages as John 3:3-7; 5:21; Eph. 2:1, 10; 2 Cor. 5:17.

By nature man is dead in sin (Eph. 2:1); the new birth imparts to him new life— the life of God , so that henceforth he is as those that are alive from the dead; he has passed out of death into life (John 5:24).

In regeneration we are made partakers of the divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4). We have put on the new man, which after God is created in holiness and righteousness (Eph. 4:24; Col. 3:10). Christ now lives in the believer (Gal. 2:20). God’s seed now abides in him (1 John 3:9). So that henceforth the believer is possessed of two natures (Gal. 5:17).

A new governing power comes into the regenerate man’s life by which he is enabled to become holy in experience: “Old things are passed away; behold all things are become new” (2 Cor. 5:17). See also Acts 16:14, and Ezek. 36:25-27; 1 John 3:6-9.

(The Great Doctrines Of The Bible)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MentorsRiddle
Advanced Member
Member # 2108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentorsRiddle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dying of the flesh is always a good example of the spirit being stronger than the earthly things.

Great post [Smile]

--------------------
With you I rise,
In you I sleep,
kneeling down I kiss your feet,
Grace abounds upon me now,
I once was lost
but now I'm found.
The gift of God dwells within,
To this love I now give in.

Posts: 1337 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

St. Peter declares that to obtain eternal life we must be born again, since by nature we were born but to die.

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth and the flower thereof falleth away. But the Word of the Lord endureth forever, and this is the Word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (I Pet. 1 :23-25).

Our Lord emphasized this same fact to the Pharisee Nicodemus. "That which is born of the flesh," He said, "is flesh... Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again" (John 3:6,7).

Nicodemus was devoutly religious, and he even recognized Christ as "a teacher come from God" (John 3:2). But he was not saved. He had not been "born of the Spirit," and "that which is born of the flesh is flesh," even though it is "religious flesh." Therefore it must die. Nicodemus, like many sincerely religious people today, needed to be born again -- of the Spirit, by faith in the Word, of which the Spirit is the Author.

Some suppose that Paul did not teach the new birth, but they are wrong. He taught it consistently, and nowhere more clearly than in Titus 3:5, where he wrote by divine inspiration:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration [re-birth] and renewing of the Holy Spirit."

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement