Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Humility

Author Topic: Humility
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol...yes, I was going to say that. hehe

It will absolutely be all about Him. But, it will be thought by us and we will be the ones praising Him.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol..you said:

The day I achieve true humility will be the proudest day of my life.

Well, let me try to explain what I thought that would mean to me....

The day I achieve true humility will be the day Jesus invites me into heaven and my hope is fulfilled, and I will be so happy that I found Him and accepted his grace.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Keeper

I kind of think that when I meet Him, it's going to be all about Him..I'll forget about me. It'll be like when I see something so outstanding I just stand there stunned, soaking it in.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Judge Carol....Well, you had to explain it to me.
Now I see what you meant. It is pretty funny. Most folks who know me say I have a good but dry sense of humor. I think that means I'm stupid.

Smart Betty....You could have told me the meaning. You are so mean to poor lil ole me. But humble. No, mean like I said at first. hehe
Tell the guy who caught a cold for sitting under a ceiling fan that it was a miracle because fans don't give colds, virus gives colds.

Judge Carol...As for becoming 100% humble and being proud I was thinking what will happen when I come face to face with Jesus. Before, I will be about as humble as a person can be. But when that day comes and we are face to face I am going to probably pass out ....with a smile on my face (a sign of pride or joy or thankfulness)
Somehow, that still doesn't sound right. I hope you know what I mean. (You too Betty).

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible to submit outwardly and yet not be humbled inwardly. God hates the sin of pride (Prov. 6:16-17), and He will chasten the proud believer until he is humbled. We have a tendency to treat this sin too lightly. But sin is serious, and one mark of true humility is facing the seriousness of sin and dealing with our disobedience. “A broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise” (Ps. 51:17).

Sometimes we hear a believer pray, “O Lord, humble me!” That is a dangerous thing to pray. Far better that we humble ourselves before God, confess our sins, weep over them, and turn from them. “To this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word” (Isa. 66:2). “The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit” (Ps. 34:18).

If we obey these instructions, then God will draw near, cleanse us, and forgive us; and the wars will cease ! We will not be at war with God, so we will not be at war with ourselves. This means we will not be at war with others. “And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever” (Isa. 32:17).

(Wiersbe)

P.S. I take a jacket to church with me, even in summer, because they keep it cooler than I'm comfortable with. [Smile]

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my middle sister and her husband do not get humor at all. He tries to joke with her and she gets mad and she tries to joke with him and he gets mad.
I have been at their house and and heard him joke with her and she get all quiet and mad and I get her aside and tell her he is just joking and then I see when she jokes with him, he gets mad. They have been married about 13 years so by now they should know each other better.

But her husband is a very angry man and is easily set off.
He is a Christian, but a miserable Christian.
Living with him is hard on my sister so I feel sorry for her. You never know what is going to set him off. Last week at Church the man sitting by them turned on the ceiling fan and her husband got a cold. Now he says he will never go to Church on Wednesday nights again.

I think you are right about proud men often not having a sense of humor.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think 'thick skin' is a close cousin of 'hard heart'.

Humor is better!

I don't see how a person without a sense of humor could live in godly humility. It seems to me that they would feel self-pity instead.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has the weirdest sense of humor. I came from a family that rarely joked. I had the choice of developing of sense of humor or thick skin. Pretty soon my sister was telling me that I was as bad as my husband, so I guess I joined him. [Razz]
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he has a good sense of humor, just not that type of humor.

I thought this quote was cute: (No, it is not about Keeper)

"If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old."

Ed Howe (1853–1937)

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Carol,
The poor guy doesn't have a sense of humor.
betty

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Keeper,

If being humble makes me proud, do you see the silliness of that? Do you get the joke now?

Betty, it's like another joke I told him -

"Lord, please grant me patience. And I need it RIGHT NOW!"

He didn't get that one either. I think he needs an energy drink or something.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

As long as you hate us humbly, then of course we will forgive you. [Wink]
betty

--------------------

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Awright you two...I hate you I hate you I hate you but humbly.
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

It is like a person saying I am the most humble person in the room.
betty

--------------------

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Betty...Carol isn't around now, tell me what the joke is.
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Carol,

I got the joke, though it reminded me of my late sister's husband.
betty

--------------------

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Welcome to the museum of rocks. Here we have all sorts of rocks for you to see. Here we have a happy rock - see the smile on it's face. Here we have a rock called Keeper. Keeper is stupid.

No, I don't get it. I knew that was not a joke, but maybe the way you put it was. Duhhhhh

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

No. That's not a joking matter.
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Do you mean the day you face Jesus ?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

It's a joke Keeper...think about it
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Hi Carol, Could you briefly explain just what you mean by that ?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day I achieve true humility will be the proudest day of my life!
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

What can we do to receive salvation?

Answer: Be Humble.

Scripture makes it clear that the work of salvation is God's work, accomplished on our behalf by Jesus Christ. Man's part in salvation is to receive the grace given to us. This grace is received by faith alone, and faith is to be understood as an active trust in God (Humility) rather than mere intellectual assent to statements about him.

There is no room for Humility in Selfishness.

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, sister Carol Swenson, to me humility is an essential ingredient in getting saved, so like nutmet and black pepper and garlic canola oil, humility is a very precious ingredient without which it is impossible to get saved.

I'll never forget that the recipe that was holding me up was pride, bur when I finally found, or rather, implemented, the ingredient humility, I was able to get saved from the recipe of pride.

Before humility came into my life, perhaps directly from God, I did not feel like "I needed anyone to die for me, no thanks, I can die for myself allright, and I don't need some dude to die in my place", until humility came to me, perhaps directly from God, and I realized that, if Jesus came back today, I'd better be saved, lest I be destroyed. For the scripture says:

Psalms 2
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against His anointed, saying ...

3 Let us break Their bands asunder and cast away Their cords from us.

But the scripture says:

Psalms 2
12 Kiss the Son, lest He be angry and you perish from the way when His wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they who put their trust in Him.

When the fear of the coming of the Lord came on me, I found that my humility was greater than my pride and I got saved in that very moment.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol great post... [thumbsup2]

quote:
Why is humility an important part of our spiritual life?
without humility you can not be saved....

James 4.......
God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Jack's post is gone. He wrote "I'll have to read this sometime." So I wrote "Memorize it" as a funny.

Oh well, it was funny at the time...

It surely was.
[thumbsup2]

With this character one should quote him to prevent him deleting his posts.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack's post is gone. He wrote "I'll have to read this sometime." So I wrote "Memorize it" as a funny.

Oh well, it was funny at the time...

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[pound]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Memorize it
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - HUMILITY

Why is humility an important part of our spiritual life?

Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell facedown to the ground before the ark of the Lord, remaining there till evening. The elders of Israel did the same, and sprinkled dust on their heads. (Joshua 7:6, NIV)

Humility is the proper attitude before God. Joshua and the elders tore their clothing and sprinkled dust on their heads as signs of deep mourning before God. They were confused by their defeat at the small city of Ai after the spectacular Jericho victory, so they went before God in deep humility and sorrow to receive his instructions. When our life falls apart, we also should turn to God for direction and help. Like Joshua and the elders, we should humble ourself so that we will be able to hear his words.

Humility keeps us from depending on our own strengths. When Joshua first went against Ai (7:3), he did not consult God but relied on the strength of his army to defeat the small city. Only after Israel was defeated did they turn to God and ask what happened.

Too often we rely on our own skills and strength, especially when the task before us seems easy. We go to God only when the obstacles seem too great. However, only God knows what lies ahead. Consulting him, even when we are on a winning streak, may save us from grave mistakes or misjudgments. God may want us to learn lessons, remove pride, or consult others before he will work through us.

Humility makes our prayers direct and honest. Imagine praying the way Joshua prayed to God. This is not a formal church prayer; it is the prayer of a man who is afraid and confused by what is happening around him. Joshua poured out his real thoughts to God. Hiding your needs from God is ignoring the only one who can really help. God welcomes your honest prayers and wants you to express your true feelings to him. Any believer can become more honest in prayer by remembering that God is all-knowing and all-powerful and that his love is everlasting.

But his officers tried to reason with him and said, “If the prophet had told you to do some great thing, wouldn’t you have done it? So you should certainly obey him when he says simply to go and wash and be cured!” (2 Kings 5:13, TLB)

Humility is good training in obedience. Naaman, a great hero, was used to getting respect, and he was outraged when Elisha treated him like an ordinary person. A proud man, he expected royal treatment. To wash in a great river would be one thing, but the Jordan was small and dirty. To wash in the Jordan, Naaman thought, was beneath a man of his position. But Naaman had to humble himself and obey Elisha’s commands in order to be healed.

Humility clarifies our dependence on God. Obedience to God begins with humility. We must believe that his way is better than our own. We may not always understand his ways of working, but by humbly obeying, we will receive his blessings. We must remember that (1) God’s ways are best; (2) God wants our obedience more than anything else; and (3) God can use anything to accomplish his purposes.

Humility challenges our pride. Naaman left in a rage because the cure for his disease seemed too simple. He was a hero, and he expected a heroic cure. Full of pride and self-will, he could not accept the simple cure of faith. Sometimes people react to God’s offer of forgiveness in the same way. Just to believe in Jesus Christ somehow doesn’t seem significant enough to bring eternal life. To obey God’s commands doesn’t seem heroic. What Naaman had to do to have his leprosy washed away is similar to what we must do to have our sin washed away—humbly accept God’s mercy. Don’t let your reaction to the way of faith keep you from the cure you need the most.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? (Psalm 8:3-4, NIV)

Humility is a deep awareness of unworthiness, not worthlessness. When we look at the vast expanse of creation, we wonder how God could be concerned for people who constantly disappoint him. Yet God created us only a little lower than himself or the angels! The next time you question your worth as a person, remember that God considers you highly valuable. We have great worth because we bear the stamp of the Creator. (See Genesis 1:26-27 for the extent of worth God places on all people.) Because God has already declared how valuable we are to him, we can be set free from feelings of worthlessness.

Humility increases our appreciation for God. To respect God’s majesty, we must compare ourself to his greatness. When we look at creation, we often feel small by comparison. To feel small is a healthy way to get back to reality, but God does not want us to dwell on our smallness. Humility means proper respect for God, not self-depreciation.

For everyone who tries to honor himself shall be humbled; and he who humbles himself shall be honored. (Luke 14:11, TLB)

Humility is essential for service to others. Jesus advised people not to rush for the best places at a feast. People today are just as eager to raise their social status, whether by being with the right people, dressing for success, or driving the right car. Whom do you try to impress? Rather than aiming for prestige, look for a place where you can serve. If God wants you to serve on a wider scale, he will invite you to take a higher place.

Jesus Christ is our model for humility. How can we humble ourself? Some people try to give the appearance of humility in order to manipulate others. Others think that humility means putting themselves down. Truly humble people compare themselves only with Christ, realize their sinfulness, and understand their limitations. On the other hand, they also recognize their gifts and strengths and are willing to use them as Christ directs. Humility is not self-degradation; it is realistic assessment and commitment to serve.

(The Handbook Of Bible Application)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement