Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Mark 16:9

Author Topic: Mark 16:9
Arizona Dave
First Post
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arizona Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a comment on this particular subject
but often thruogh the years I have recieved comfort by just reading the accounts of the ressurection of Jesus in the four gospels.
As for the end of Mark- those are very important
verses for those of us who believe in and have
experienced the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Posts: 1 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rstrats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in will know of an author.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
posted April 03, 2006 08:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was Jesus Christ Crucified on Good Friday?
...Does It Make Any Difference?

N.W. Hutchings

Nisan 14, The Lord's Passover (Israel's Passover Preparation Day)

Tuesday, 6:00 P.M. (First Watch): Jesus observed Passover in the Upper Room with His apostles (no lamb, because Jesus Himself was to be the Lamb).

Tuesday, 9:00 P.M. (Second Watch): Jesus arrested and taken to Caiaphas to be judged.

Tuesday, 12:00 midnight (Third Watch): Jesus judged and found guilty of blasphemy by the Sanhedrin.

Wednesday, 6.00 A.M. (first hour): Jesus taken to Pilate at Anthony's Tower to be judged and sentenced.

Wednesday, 9:00 A.M. (third hour): Jesus nailed to the cross.

Wednesday, 12:00 noon: darkness over the earth to the ninth hour.

Wednesday, 3:00 P.M. (ninth hour): Jesus died and gave up the ghost.

Nisan 15, Israel Passover Day (First Day of Unleavened Bread)

Wednesday, 6:00 P.M.: Jesus' body placed in the tomb.

Wednesday, 6:00 P.M to 6:00 P.M. Thursday: Jesus' body was in the tomb - one night and one day (24 hours).

Nisan 16, Second Day of Unleavened Bread

Thursday, 6:00 P.M to 6:00 P.M. Friday: Jesus' body lay in the tomb for second night and second day (total now 48 hours).

Nisan 17, Third Day of Unleavened Bread (Jewish Sabbath)

Friday, 6:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. Saturday: Jesus' body lay in the tomb for third night and third day (total now 72 hours). "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:40).

Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on the eve of Nisan 9 because He came to fulfill the Father's will that He be the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world; lambs chosen for Passover must be separated from parents for seven days before the Day of Preparation. Jesus was anointed by Mary on Nisan 10 for His death, because a sacrificial lamb must be chosen (anointed) on this day, four days before the Passover. Nisan 10 the year Christ was crucified was indicated to be a Saturday Sabbath. Four days later, on Wednesday, Jesus was crucified. Jesus not only must have fulfilled every specific prophecy, but also every example and type, else He could not have been the Messiah.

Christendom, with few exceptions, observes "Good Friday" as the day Jesus Christ was crucified. A few believe that Jesus was crucified on Thursday, and a few more hold to the opinion that He was crucified on Wednesday. The term itself, "Good Friday," is a mispronunciation of Gott Friday, German for "God's Friday."

That Jesus Christ was crucified on the Day of Preparation is without controversy (Matt. 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54; John 19:14,31,42).

The Day of Preparation, according to the Scriptures, and as verified by Josephus, always fell on the fourteenth day of Nisan. This was the day in which the lamb was killed for Passover. The sins of those who were to eat the Passover were placed on the lamb, and then the lamb died, symbolically, for their sins. John the Baptist pointed to Jesus and declared, "Behold the Lamb of God!" (John 1:36). Therefore, the Lamb who was to take away the sins of the world must be sacrificed on the Day of Preparation, else He would not have fulfilled all the prophecies identifying Him as the Messiah. Jesus must fulfill every prophecy relating to His first coming: to be born of a virgin, to be born in Bethlehem, to open the eyes of the blind, to make the deaf to hear, to make the lame leap as a deer, to be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver, to be beaten, to be cut off from the land of the living for others sins, and dozens of other things foretold about Him by the prophets. Inasmuch as He came in "the fulness of the time" (Gal. 4:4), even the day and the hour He would be nailed to the cross and then raised from the grave was important.

The primary reason that the vast majority of Christendom accepts Friday as the day of crucifixion is that Jesus was crucified not only on the Day of Preparation, but also on the "day before the Sabbath." A Jewish Sabbath referred not only to the last day of the week (Saturday), but also to certain holy days, or feast days. He was laid in the tomb minutes before the High Sabbath, not the regular Saturday Sabbath.

We read in John 19:31-33: "The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was a high day) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was cruficied with him. But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs."

Jesus was laid in the tomb minutes before the beginning of the High Sabbath, 6:00 P.M., the twelfth Hebrew hour, and Thursday began a few minutes later (see Companion Bible and Dake's Reference Bible).

If, as the majority of Christendom believes, Jesus was crucified on Friday, then His body would have lain in the tomb only 24 to 26 hours - one night and one day, even though the time frame may be stretched to one whole day and a few minutes of the other two days. Jesus said of the time His body would be in the tomb: "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:40).

It is evident from the Book of Esther, the Book of Jonah, and other scriptures, when the time period is given as one day and one night, 24 hours is meant. Two Days and two nights means 48 hours; three days and three nights means 72 hours.

When Jesus was informed that Lazarus was sick unto death, He delayed going to Bethany until after Lazazrus had been in the tomb three days, and part of the fourth day (John 11:17). Martha protested it was much too late to help because her brother's body was already stinking. It was an accepted Jewish tradition that a person not be legally declared dead until three days had passed. Jesus proved to the Jews that He did indeed raise to life a person legally dead.

"It was the Jewish belief at that time that when a person died his spirit remained within his body for three days ... Jesus had to be in the tomb for three days, not only to fulfill His own prophecy concerning Himself, but to keep Jews ... from claiming that He had not really been dead" (Robert Faid, A Scientific Approach to Biblical Mysteries, p. 70).

The chief priests and Pharisees understood that Jesus meant He would be in the tomb for three full days, 72 hours, or else their conversation with Pilate in Matthew 27:62-66 makes no sense at all. It seems conclusive to this writer that Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday, Nisan 14. His body placed in the tomb just before the twelfth Hebrew hour (6:00 P.M.), and He arose from the rgave just after the twelfth hour on Saturday, or the first Hebrew hour on Sunday, the first day of the week.

The Lord's Passover was foretold to be Nisan 14, from sunset on Tuesday to sunset on Wednesday (according to our calendar). The sheaf of first fruits, according to Leviticus 23:10-11, was to be waved before the Lord on the day after the regular Sabbath following Passover. Jesus Christ did indeed rise from the grave on the first day of the week following the regular Sabbath (Matt. 28:1-8), the first fruits of the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:23).

While we believe it is important that Jesus' body did lie in the grave three days and three nights, infinitely more important is that we believe that He did need to die for our sins and that He did indeed rise from the grave for our justification. Because unless the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ occurred as Scripture declares, then "we are of all men most miserable" (1 Cor. 15:19).

--------------------
That is all.....

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rstrats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB,

Thanks for the comments, but they are an issue for another topic.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Keeper,

How is it going with the chart?

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I haven't. I got sidetracted and since, I received a suggestion on how to do it. Will try to get on it this week end. Sorry.
Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Keeper,

Having any luck with the chart?

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. I am not in rebuttal with your posts.

Like I said, I have a chart and there is text that goes with it, which I am attempting to send to you.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Keeper,

I assume that your post is in rebuttal to my assertion that Mark 16:9 is the only scripture that places the resurrection on the first of the week. There is a lot of theorizing in it that I am going to have to try and verify. In the meantime let me leave you with a couple of verses - even though they don’t directly impact on the resurrection - that cast doubt on your Friday crucifixion scenario: Matthew 12:40 and Luke 24:21. Both of those verses suggest that the crucifixion could not have occurred any later than Thursday.

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

rstrats, I am working on how to get the chart to you showing the death of Christ. FoundInHim is sharing some smarts with me (which I need).

Meanwhile, I will share some text with you that goes with it:

JESUS CAME TO DIE RIGHT ON TIME !

Daniel 9:24-27--Jesus died in the middle of the 70th week. 70 prophetic weeks were allotted to the Jewish people as their final probation. 70x7 days in a week=490 days. A day in prophecy represents a literal year (see Numbers 14:34 and Ezekiel 4:6), so this would be 490 years.

This time period began in 457 BC, with commandment of Artexerxes I of Persia to restore and build Jerusalem (see Ezra, chapter 7). 69 weeks or 483 years from that date brings us to the baptism or anointing of Jesus as the Messiah in 27 AD. (483-457=26AD, but we must add 1 year since there is no "0" year.) Luke 3:1-3--is a 7 point proof that Jesus was baptized exactly in 27 AD.

His ministry of 3 1/2 years brings us to the Spring of 31 AD. At the time of the Passover (see Exodus, chapter 12)--14th of Nissan was on Friday that year), Jesus made the triumphal entry into Jerusalem (Palm Sunday). He and His disciples celebrated the Passover one day early (Thursday eve.-see John 13:1=-5 & Luke 22:15-20--Passover became the Lords Supper).

Jesus was captured late that evening, tried thru-out the late evening and early morning, and crucified about 9 AM Friday morning (see Luke 23:44-46) A supernatural darkness covered the earth for 3 hours, from Noon to 3PM, at which time Jesus died, having been on the Cross for 6 hours.

At 3 PM that day (Good Friday)--14th of Nissan) the priests were supposed to kill the Passover Lamb in preparation for the feast, which began at sundown (about 6PM) on the 15th (see Lev 23:32 cf Mark 1:32) and continued thru the 21st of the month (see Exodus 12:14-18.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct. The actual waving of the sheaf, which typifies the resurrection would be done on the 1st day of the week. No doubt they would not work on the Sabbath day to bring the sheaf to the priest.

When do you believe the crucifixon took place? I tell you what i believe.

On the 14th of Nisan, at the third hour of the day (9am) the high priest took the lamb and ascended the alter so he could tie the lamb in place on the alter.

At the same time on that day, Yeshua was tied to the tree on Mt. Moriah. At the time of the evening sacrifice (3pm) for Passover, the high priest ascended to the alter, cut the throat of the lamb with a knife and said these words, which he did each year at this time

"It is finished". These are the exact words said by the high priest each year during this time.

At this same time, Yeshua died, saying those exact words. "it is finished".

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “Does it not?

Not that I can tell.

re: “The celebrant would take one sheaf from the standing harvest and bring it to the priest.”

But it doesn’t say that this is to be done on the first day of the week. The only thing that is said to be required on the first day is the actual waving of the sheaf.

re: “What is your conclusion then as to when Yeshua was resurrected?”

I have no set belief as to the day of resurrection. It could have been on either the seventh day or the first day depending on when the crucifixion took place.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it not? The observance was carried out in this manner, when the standing ripe harvest of barley and wheat was ready to be reaped.

The celebrant would take one sheaf from the standing harvest and bring it to the priest. The lone sheaf was called "the sheaf of the firstfruits"

The priest was then to take this one sheaf and wave it before the Lord in His house. This was done the day after the sabbath.

What is your conclusion then as to when Yeshua was resurrected? Mine is that it was Saturday night, as far as the Greek calander is concerned, which makes it the 1st day of the week as far as Hebrew reckoning is concerned, or do you have a different interpretation altogether?

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “...you could say that, as far as the New Test is concerned...”

I can also say the same thing as far as the Old Testament is concerned. The only thing said about the first day with regard to First Fruits is that the sheaf is to be waved on that day. It doesn’t say when the sheaf actually becomes the first fruit.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

rstrats, you could say that, as far as the New Test is concerned, yes, then Mark is the only place that actually states that the Lord was risen on the 1st day of the week.

But, if you follow the Feasts Days of the Lord, it is obvious that Yeshua was the Foreshadow of things that were and are to be.

FirstFrruits is Prophetic of the resurrection of the Messiah. Yeshua said He would rise 3 days and 3 nights after He was slain (Matt 12:38-40 16:21 Luke 24:44-46.

This was Foreshadowed to happen in the Old Test
by type and shadow. Gen 22:1-6 Exodus 3:18, 5:3 8:27 Esther 4:15-17 Jonah 1:7 2:1-2

It does not matter that Mark is the only book of the bible that places the resurrection on the 1st day of the week, for Yahweh God already ordained it to be so by His set-appointed times.

also, let me say this. If you study the Feasts of the Lord, the Fall Festivals gives tremendous insight and understanding concerning the events of Yeshuas second coming.

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “Yes, It was at the moment of His resurrection.”

And because of that, First Fruits can’t be used to disagree with my OP statement that Mark 16:9 is the only scripture that places the resurrection on the first of the week.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Amen WildB! Thats it! And you dont get 3 days and 3 nights if you were crucified on Friday.
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go back to Jonas. Even Christ makes mention of him.

Matt.12

[40] For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, rstrats, it's been a long time since I read about the last verses of Mark, so my memory is vague on the issue, but if I'm not mistaken, in the majority of the New Testament manuscripts that we have, the last verses of Mark that you mentioned in your Topic "are not there".

Howbeit, while this does not anwer ur question as to whether anyone knows of an author who quoted Mark for resurrection verification, I don't, but I would say with the Apostle John that "there is more than enough information in the Bible for any sincere person to be saved thereby".

But I do agree that the last part of Mark is apparently missing in the majority of NT mss.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

rstrats, Yes, It was at the moment of His resurrection.

Keeper, go for it.

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “Yeshua was the firstfruit...”

But at what moment did the Messiah become the first fruit antitype? Wasn’t it at the moment of His resurrection?

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Yahsway, I have a diagram of the calander showing when the days start compared to the Gentile days, the hours and holidays,etc.

This is to show the exact time of death of Christ but also you can figure what you want from it.

Problem is my posting it on here. Not sure how or if I can. Secondly, will it be clear enough?

Want me to try?

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Study the Feast days and you will know what i am talking about. And Yes, Yeshua was the firstfruit, the sheaf wave offering before God.

He came forth as a type of First of Firstfruits, and thus He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead (Col 1:18)

Yeshua is the substance of the day of the Sheaf.Yeshuas resurrection is a type of harvest. It marked the beginning of our Fathers Harvest season.

The firstfruit offering was to be waved the day AFTER the Sabbath, meaning on the 1st day of the week which corresponds to Sunday.(Leviticus 23:11)

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “... the Feats of weeks starts on the Day of Firstfruits (which was when Yeshua was raised from the dead)...”

How do you tie the Day of Firstfruits into a first day resurrection? How does Firstfruits make it absolutely necessary for the resurrection to have occurred on the first day? As far as I know, the only event regarding Firstsfruits that had to occur on the first day was the waving of the sheaf. Or are you saying that the moment of resurrection is the antitype of the actual waving of the sheaf and not when the Messiah presented Himself to the Father?

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Thunderz is correct. He was crucified on Passover, was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights, He arose on the 1st day of the week, which on the Hebrew calander was anytime after sundown on Saturday according to the Greek0-Roman calander.

How do we know this? Because Shavout (Pentecost) was always celebrated 50 days after the day of firstfruits(which was the day Yeshua arose)

The counting of the omer, started on the day of firstfruits. The Hebrews counted 7 Sabbaths plus 1 day. That would be 7x7=49 plus 1 =50

This is called The Feast of Weeks, and Jewish men were commanded by Law to go to Jerusalem 3 times each year to celebrate the major feasts. Passover in the Spring, Pentecost seven weeks and a day later.

Pentecost was always celebrated by the Jews on a Sunday. This is where you can find it in Acts 2.
This is where all those Jews that were dwelling in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven heard the gospel and the pouring out of the Holy Spirit. They were there in Jerusalem for Shavout(Pentecost).

We know He arose on the 1st day of the week if you are familiar with all the Feasts of the Lord. The Lords Feast are the Foreshadows of what were to be and what are to be.

Of course you dont get 3 days and 3 nights from the Catholic version of "Good Friday" ect...

It was not until some 300 years after Yeshuas ascension that the church in Rome changed the Saturday Sabbath to the Sunday day of worship.

But we can worship or assemble everyday of the week, it does not changed Gods Sabbath Day as He commanded it being on the 7th day or saturday by Greco-Roman calender and it was to be forever.

If you study the Feasts of the Lord im sure you will find your answer as to why Yeshua did rise from the dead on the 1st day of the week.

One reason the scriptures say in acts 2

"When the Day of Pentecost(Shavout) had FULLY come..."

Fully come here means that the counting of the omer, or the Feats of weeks starts on the Day of Firstfruits (which was when Yeshua was raised from the dead) and then the counting is 7 sabbaths plus 1 day to equal 50 days later and that would be the Completion or the Fullness, When the Day of Pentecost had "Fully" come. Thats when our Lord sent the Holy Spirit. 3000 were added to the church that day.

In the wilderness, at Mt. Siani, it was on Shavout, when the 10 commandments were given, that 3000 souls perished.

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Carol Swenson,

re: “Shucks. All my hard work for nothing.”

I thank you for your comments. Some of your material may be useful in the future. However, I hadn’t intended this to be a “discussion” with regard to the day of resurrection or whether or not Mark 16:9 belongs in scripture. I am merely looking for what I asked for in my OP.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shucks. All my hard work for nothing. Guess this will have to be a faith issue. I have no reason to doubt that He rose on Sunday morning, so I will continue to believe that He did. The resurrection is so very important that I think if our Lord Jesus Christ rose at some other time then God would have made it known to us in His Word.

God bless you. Have a good day.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Carol Swenson,

re: “One cannot help but take note of the fact that Jesus’ resurrection took place on Sunday (Mark 16:1; Luke 24:1; John 20:1). “

As I mentioned to Thunderz7, those verses do not say when the resurrection actually occurred. Only Mark 16:9 does.

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

Thunderz7,

re: “...Matthew 28:1...Mark 16:2... Luke 24:1...John 20:1"

Thanks for the comments but I’m afraid that those verses say nothing with regard to the timing of the resurrection. They only say that the women came to the tomb.

Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeshua rose at sundown at the end of the Sabbath,
72 hours,
exactly 3 days and 3 nights after he was buried,
on the first day of the week.

Recored in all 4 gospels without relying of Mk. 16:9

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi rstrats. Welcome to the Christian BBS!

No scholar would base the resurrection on Mark 16:9 because they don't know that Mark wrote it. Verses 9-20 were possibly added later.

Most of the scholars I researched agreed with the following:

(New Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Testament)

MARK 16:9-20 POST-RESURRECTION APPEARANCES

The ending of Mark according to all extant manuscripts has come to us in five basic forms:

(1) The Gospel ends with 16:8—supported by Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus, some early translations (Syriac, Coptic, Armenian, Georgian), and attested to by Clement, Origen, Eusebius, Jerome and a few others.

(2) The Gospel ends with a short conclusion after 16:8—supported by one Old Latin, African manuscript.

(3) The Gospel ends with the short conclusion above plus verses 9-20, supported by Codex Regius, Codex Athous Laurae and a few other manuscripts.

(4) The Gospel ends with 16:9-20—supported by Codices Alexandrinus, Ephraem Rescriptus, Bezae, several later manuscripts, several early translations (Old Latin, Syriac, Coptic) and attested to by the Diastessaron (fl. c. 185), Tertullian (born c. 165), and others.

(5) The Gospel ends with 16:9-20, incorporating a longer addition after 16:14—supported by Codex Washingtonianius and the testimony of Jerome about certain Greek manuscripts.

Almost all readers would have to admit that it is quite unlikely that Mark would stop his Gospel so abruptly (at 16:8). How could the Gospel close on such a negative note of fear and bewilderment?

Undoubtedly, Mark wrote more or intended to write more, but of such we have no record. Since the two earliest and best manuscripts conclude with verse 8, we should accept this testimony—until more light can be shed on this textual problem.

They (various scholars) go on to say that doctrine should be based on the whole of scripture, not on just a few verses.

Concerning Sunday:

(The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary)

Sun´day, or Lord’s Day

Name and Change of the Day

Sunday is the first day of the week, adopted by the first Christians from the Roman calendar (Lat. Dies Solis, Day of the Sun), because it was dedicated to the worship of the sun. The Christians reinterpreted the heathen name as implying the “Sun of Righteousness,” with reference to this rising (Malachi 4:2). It was also called Dies Panis (Day of Bread), because it was an early custom to break bread on that day. In The Teaching of the Twelve it is called the “Lord’s Day of the Lord” (Kuriakēn de Kuriou).

Jewish Christians at first continued to frequent the Temple and synagogue services, but at a very early date “the first day of the week” took the place of the Jewish Sabbath as the chief time of public worship (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2) in many of the churches of Jewish Christians. It was the day of the resurrection of Christ, of most of His appearances to the disciples after the resurrection, and on this day the Holy Spirit was poured out at Pentecost. For these reasons, and especially after the destruction of Jerusalem had rendered the sacrificial service of the Temple impossible, Sunday became the recognized day of assembly for fellowship and for the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. The Jewish Christians at first observed both the seventh and the first day of the week, but the Gentile Christians kept the “Lord’s Day” from the beginning. The relation of the seventh to the first, as understood by the Jewish Christians, may not be easy to determine; yet there seem to be indications that the seventh was regarded as a day of preparation for the first. The idea of Christian worship would attach mainly to the one; the obligation of rest would continue attached to the other; although a certain interchange of characteristics would grow up, as worship necessitated rest, and rest naturally suggested worship.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/2304

Does the New Testament assign any special meaning to Sunday? One cannot help but take note of the fact that Jesus’ resurrection took place on Sunday (Mark 16:1; Luke 24:1; John 20:1). After His resurrection, Jesus met with His disciples on Sunday (John 20:19,26). Pentecost was a Jewish feast day (Leviticus 23:15ff.), and it was on this feast day, ten days after the ascension of Jesus, that the church was established—on Sunday (see McGarvey, 1892, p. 19; Brewer, 1941, pp. 325-326). New Testament churches assembled on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2). They observed the Lord’s Supper on that day (Acts 20:7). In harmony with Revelation 1:10, early Christians began calling Sunday “the Lord’s day” (Swete, 1911, p. 13). How can even the casual reader miss this repetition? Without a doubt, the day Sunday is infused with considerable religious significance.

Mark 16:1,2
1 Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they went to the tomb.

Luke 24:1
But very early on Sunday morning the women went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.

John 20:1
Early on Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

yahsway,

re: “The resurrection did take place on the 1st day of the week...”

But only Mark 16:9 says so.

re: ‘... which on the greek calander is known as Sunday.”

The Greek calendars that I found all had the first day labeled “Monday”.

re: “I am not sure what you are asking...”

Simply what I stated in my OP; Does anyone know of a published author who has used the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change from seventh day observance to first day observance and who uses Mark 16:9 to place the day of resurrection?

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

The resurrection did take place on the 1st day of the week, which on the greek calander is known as Sunday.

Yeshua(Jesus) could have risen on the Greek Calander Saturday at sundown which is on the Hebrew Calander the 1st day of the week.

I am not sure what you are asking, but the scriptures say that the women went to the tomb on the 1st day of the week.

rstrats
Advanced Member
Member # 7706

A poster on another forum, the topic of which was questioning the authenticity of the last 12 verses in the book of Mark, wrote that it doesn’t really matter because there is no doctrinal teaching in Mark 16:9-20 that cannot be proved elsewhere in agreed Scripture.

I made the mistake of sticking my nose into the discussion by pointing out that actually there is a statement in verse 9, as the KJV and similar versions have it, that is used for a doctrinal teaching that is to be found nowhere else in Scripture. As the KJV translates it, it is the only place that puts the resurrection on the first day of the week. I then suggested that whenever the discussion of seventh day observance versus first day observance comes up, first day proponents usually use the idea of a first day resurrection to justify the change, and when questioned about the day of resurrection, quote Mark 16:9. The poster came back with: “Quote a published author who has done that.” - I have not yet been able to come up with one. Does anyone here know of one?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement