Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Dominion

Author Topic: Dominion
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Keeper, I appreciate you being here, but what you wrote here is not true:
quote:
Eden, would you like for me to go back over your posts on this board for say, two months, and make a record of how many times you failed to use Caps properly when speaking of God and if you used the proper word?
That bolded part is not true, Keeper. I am "exceedingly meticulous" about reproducting whether the word in the KJV is "God" (which is always "Elohim") or whether it is "Lord" (always "Adonai") or "LORD" (always "YHWH"). If I have failed to state ONE of them correctly in two months, then I apologize, but I would love to see "a list", even a "short list".

Thanks, Keeper
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, would you like for me to go back over your posts on this board for say, two months, and make a record of how many times you failed to use Caps properly when speaking of God and if you used the proper word?

When you can't even tell us the proper meaning of an entire scripture I think you would be found on a slippery slope.

I can assure you that NO ONE on this board does what you say is so absolutely necessary to stay off of your "General Knowledge Christian" list.
Furthermore, I don't believe that anyone cares about your list, myself included.

This is child play Eden, why don't you grow up?

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what I think Eden? I think from what I have seen you post here in the last week or so, you may want to trade your name de-coder books in for a copy of the new testament (words of Jesus in red)

[Big Grin] The word of God is the best book you know.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Found in Him wrote
quote:
Eden, Just what is a "general knowledge Christian"?

Is this Christian less knowledgeable about His Lord?

I think that if a Western Christian who has access to Christian resources, only looks at what the various English translations say, and ignores what the original Gr
eek and Hebrew versions said, I think that such a Christian has enough knowledge to be saved and to know a lot about the Lord already, certainly "more than enough to be saved thereby".

But I think, that generally, if one wants to have "a deeper life" with Jesus and God, one also needs to get into the Greek and Hebrew more and pay attention to the details set forth by the Holy Spirit.

However, I also think that at any time, any one Christian can shine forth the glory of God, no matter how much or how little they have read the Word, having understood something very profound between themselves and God.

So then, my term "general knowledge Christian" would apply, most of the time, to those Christians who mostly only are interested in the English versions only.

So you continued, Found in Him:
quote:
Is he "less than" say someone who is into translations of YHWY, LORD, Lord?
"Less" what? Less knowledgeable? Yes. For me there is much to be derived from the details of God, but I understand that each Christian stands before God in his own way, and that may not be details like that. Less knoledge? Yes. I think the more detail one has, the richer the experience, just like megapixels.

Found in Him, you finished with:
quote:
I myself tend to have a desire of "knowledge" more like Paul.
Good, I love Paul's knowledge too.

I wonder if this makes me a "general knowledge Christian"? No, you seem to know quite a bit about Jesus and His Father. If I have a concern about you it is that you mostly post only OTHER PEOPLE'S Christian articles instead of writing your own articles, but other people's Christian articles is better than NO Christian articles.

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Keeper wrote
quote:
FYI: Adonai (Hebrew, YHWH) means "lord", "master", "ruler" and can be applied to both God and men.
This is incorrect information. Adonai IS Hebrew and is ALWAYS and METICULOUSLY ranslated by initial-cap "Lord", is always Adonai underneath.

YHWH also IS Hebrew and is ALWAYS and METICULOUSLY translated by upper case "LORD", so that the reader may know automatically what the Hebrew is underneath.

So it is WRONG to say what you said, Keeper[quote]FYI: Adonai (Hebrew, YHWH)...[quote]Not true. Adonai is NEVER YHWH, they are two separate Names of God, denoting different aspects of His Character.

love, Eden

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, I will attempt to respond to your comments:

You questioned where I came up with the words in Psalms 22:28 For dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations.
I got them from the NRSV bible.

You said that it will probably annoy me, but you say that dominion does not belong to "the Lord" (Adonai) but to the LORD (YHWH) and it makes a big difference.

You continue by informing us that the Holy Spirit Used YHWY instead of Adonai FOR A REASON, one we may not understand, but it wasn't an accident.

Thank you for all that most worthy information.

FYI: Adonai (Hebrew, YHWH) means "lord", "master", "ruler" and can be applied to both God and men.

From what I gather now, I should be very careful when referring to God, depending on what He is doing, when He is doing it, where He is doing it, and if the Holy Spirit approves.

Posts: 481 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden,
Just what is a "general knowledge Christian"?

Is this Christian less knowledgeable about His Lord?

Is he "less than" say someone who is into translations of YHWY, LORD, Lord???

I myself tend to have a desire of "knowledge" more like Paul.

I wonder if this makes me a "general knowledge Christian"?

<< Philippians 3 >>
New American Standard Bible ©
The Goal of Life

1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things again is no trouble to me, and it is a safeguard for you.
2 Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; 3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, 4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Keeper wrote
quote:
Do us a favor Eden and knock it off. You are playing around with upper and lower case letters, to prove a point that you never did before...
Details, my friend, details... If you want to remain "a general knowledge Christian", that's up to you, but I'm digging deeper, whenever possible..., including why the Holy Spirit used Adonai or YHWH or Elohim, or Lord, LORD, or God, respectively.

love, Eden

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

Do us a favor Eden and knock it off.

You are playing around with upper and lower case letters, to prove a point that you never did before, and the past half dozen scripts you wrote weren't related to what you said the scriptures were talking about.

Go get yourself some cool whip.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Eden, This "translating" that you are attempting is for what purpose? Meaning of Kingdom: The rank, quality, state, or attributes of a king; royal authority; sovereign power; rule; dominion; monarchy.

I think it has been proven that King James did an outstanding job in translating scripture for us! I have a friend that worked on a portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls here at The University of Notre Dame in Indiana. He shared in our congregation on how that the book he was translating (Isaiah) was Identical in every aspect to The King James Version of the Bible.

What more can you offer??

What annoys me personally is the thought that these "translations" attempt to discredit a member or members of The Godhead and it does and will bring confusion. This is error-- as God always speaks, acts and performs as "GOD" He is ONE GOD.

Eden, If The Lord Jesus Christ does not have dominion as you have stated-- We are all in serious trouble! This is why I say it is error to "translate" like that.

"that you may know ... what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come. And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all" (Ephesians 1:18-23)

"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth" (Matthew 28:18; John 3:35)

"And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell" (Colossians 1: 18-19)

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Keeper wrote[quote]Psalm 22:28 says, "Dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations."

No doubt this will annoy you, but dominion does not belong to "the Lord" (Adonai) but to the LORD (YHWH). Big difference. The Holy Spirit used YHWY instead of Adonai FOR A REASON. The reason we may or may not understand, but the use of YHWH and not adonai is no accident.

Psalm 22
28 For the kingdom is the LORD's: and He is the governor among the nations.

But Keeper, which translation of the OT says "dominion" belongs to the LORD instead of "the kingdom" belongs to the LORD?

Thanks, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Keeper wrote...Those redeemed can regain dominion but Satan still holds the lease and our dominion is somewhat controlled by our governments.

Praise God for The Dominion of The Blood of Jesus over the enemy. Jesus entrusts this authority to His own. His finished work and word is the authority and we speak it, stand on it, and we have the overcoming victory!

* "… that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage." (Hebrews 2:14)

* "He has delivered us from the power of darkness and translated us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." (Colossians 1:13)

* "Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it." (Colossians 2:15)

* "For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil." (1 John 3:8)

* "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death." (Revelations 12:11)

"Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10:19)

--------------------

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

That is seriously funny.

When you speak of the unruly member in our mouth, I suggest we do change the subject.

Thank You for the "good post".

I can't say anymore now because I will have both hands in my mouth holding onto my tongue.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Good post.

Now if we can all just get dominion over that unruly member in our mouths here on the CBBS [Big Grin]

I did not change the subject, did I?

oops

--------------------

Keeper
Advanced Member
Member # 7675

The subject of Dominion has always fascinated me.

We all know that God created the heaven and the earth, etc., then created man. Once done He gave man dominion. Gen 1:26-28

Domination simply means Authority, power to rule, responsibility, Psalm 22:28 says, "Dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations." Several Hebrew words are translated "rule" or "dominion". The most fascinating of the , radah, describes only the rule of human beings under God. The 25 uses of the word in the OT indicate two primary expressions of human dominion over creation and over other humans.

The dominion over creation story tells us that God made man in his likeness, and then gave humanity rule over all living creatures. Gen 1:26-28 (as mentioned above). This domination is not a right to exploit, but rather a responsibility to govern wisely for the benefit of those ruled. God's gift of dominion over nature is the theological base for Christian concern for ecology. The good gifts God has provided are to be guarded and preserved.

The dominion over other persons is in the same sense of caring occurs when radah is used of man's domination over other men. OT Law commanded owners not to misuse their legal authority over slaves. Even though a slave was legally considered the property of the owner, God's people were told "Do not rule over them ruthlessly, but fear your God" Lev. 25:43. The same view, that authority must be exercised for the benefit of the ruled, is expressed in Psalm 72:12-14 There Solomon describes the ideal king:

"For he will deliver the needy who cry out,
the afflicted who have no one to help.
He will take pity on the weak and the needy
and save the needy from death.
He will rescue them from oppression and
violence,
for precious is their blood in His sight."

While the right to rule may be vested in a human being, dominion carries responsibility. Under God's dominion, a ruler must care for those ruled. Thus in Scripture even authority is, in essence, servant hood.

Dominions in the NT are described in Eph. 1:21 and 6:12. It mentions rulers, authorities, dominions, and powers, these terms identify "spiritual forces of evil" 6:12. Paul exults in the fact that Jesus, and ideal Ruler who is concerned for our welfare, is far greater than any evil spirits.

We in turn decided to turn that dominion over to Satan by having more faith in him than God. However, some restrictions were put on the exchange and as it turns out we are in flesh bodies and the total dominion to Satan mostly failed. Look at what man has done with his dominion. Those redeemed can regain dominion but Satan still holds the lease and our dominion is somewhat controlled by our governments.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement