Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » He will guide you into all the truth..

Author Topic: He will guide you into all the truth..
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 16:7 (KJV)
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Strong's Concordance from www.eliyah.com

John 16:7 Nevertheless 235 I 1473 tell 3004 you 5213 the truth 225; It is expedient 4851 for you 5213 that 2443 I 1473 go away 565 : for 1063 if 3362 0 I go 565 0 not 3362 away 565 , the Comforter 3875 will 2064 0 not 3756 come 2064 unto 4314 you 5209; but 1161 if 1437 I depart 4198 , I will send 3992 him 846 unto 4314 you 5209.

Comforter 3875

3875. parakletos, an intercessor, consoler:--advocate, comforter.

The word "parakletos" is also translated once as "advocate":

1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Strong's Concordance from www.eliyah.com

1John 2:1 My 3450 little children 5040, these things 5023 write I 1125 unto you 5213, that 3363 0 ye sin 264 not 3363. And 2532 if 1437 any man 5100 sin 264 , we have 2192 an advocate 3875 with 4314 the Father 3962, Jesus 2424 Christ 5547 the righteous 1342.

Be blessed in Jesus. Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why would it be better for the disciples—and for us—that Jesus go away?

Because the bodily, earthly presence of Jesus could only be in one place at a time. But the spiritual presence of the Holy Spirit can be with any number of believers simultaneously. In other words, there is no limitation on the presence of God (and of Christ) since the descent of the Holy Spirit on that first Christian Pentecost.

I believe you said that part as well as human language (English anyway -since thats all I know)
will allow.

John 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

be blessed in Yeshua/Jesus

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 16:5-15

Jesus reveals to his first disciples, and to us, several key truths about the Third Person of the Holy Trinity, the Holy Spirit

Jesus says:

“But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.” (16:7)

The word translated as “Comforter” in the KJV is Paraclete. It can also be translated as Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, or Standby.

Why would it be better for the disciples—and for us—that Jesus go away?

Because the bodily, earthly presence of Jesus could only be in one place at a time. But the spiritual presence of the Holy Spirit can be with any number of believers simultaneously. In other words, there is no limitation on the presence of God (and of Christ) since the descent of the Holy Spirit on that first Christian Pentecost.

What do we learn about the Holy Spirit in today’s Gospel?

That he is sent by Jesus to the disciples of Jesus
That he is a Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener
And that the first thing he will do will be a kind of legal function:

“And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:

concerning sin, because they do not believe in me;

concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer;

concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.”

So the first thing he will do is convict the world

Why? Because the world rejected Jesus Christ, did not believe in Jesus Christ, did not accept Jesus Christ, did not want Jesus Christ.

And this work of conviction, or reproof, is also what the Holy Spirit still does when he comes into the hearts of Christian believers. He convicts us of our own sinfulness and points us to the need, the absolute necessity, for Jesus Christ and for the divine forgiveness Jesus came into the world to bring.

The Holy Spirit is the one who makes possible Jesus’ continuing presence with us on earth. In a sense, the Holy Spirit is the fulfillment of Jesus’ saving work, for He applies that work to each person individually. And to understand that saving act, we have to be “convicted” of sin, and that is the role and function of the Holy Spirit

So the convicting power of the Holy Spirit is one great truth we learn in today’s Gospel about the Holy Spirit

The second great truth about the Holy Spirit comes in these words by Jesus:

“I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

“He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.”

There were many things that the disciples could not understand at the time of Jesus’ earthly ministry. Mainly these things surrounded his death on the cross and his resurrection from the dead.

It was only after these events and after the Holy Spirit was given to the disciples on the day of Pentecost that they could truly understand what Jesus had been trying to tell them about himself and what he had come into the world to do.

The Holy Spirit is here described as “the Spirit of truth” (16:13). Earlier, in John, the Holy Spirit is called “the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you” (14:17).

The Holy Spirit is that aspect of God, that Third Person of the Holy Trinity, who lives in baptized, regenerated, believing Christians. And he is the great revealer, or discloser, of God’s truth.

The Holy Spirit is not some abstract, vague, good feeling or religious impulse (although He can be the source of good feelings and impulses). Rather, He is the Spirit of Christ, the one sent by Christ. He doesn’t “speak,” or reveal things, on his own initiative, but only what he has “heard” from the Father and the Son.

The Holy Trinity works together, so to speak, in complete unity and harmony. The Trinity is one God in three divine persons.

The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus: he points to Jesus, makes Jesus real in the hearts of Christian believers.

And this is why we must guard against the idea that the Holy Spirit is leading us or the Church into completely new truths.

We tend to hear a lot about the Holy Spirit in today's age. Often people claim that the Holy Spirit is leading them into new truths and new ways. For example, often when people want to change some ancient tradition of the church, they will say that the Holy Spirit has led them or us into new insights.

Or when they want to change some aspect of traditional, Biblical, Judeo-Christian morality, they'll claim that the Holy Spirit is leading the church into new insights and understandings.

But note what Jesus says in our Gospel passage. That the Holy Spirit “shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak.” Also that the Holy Spirit “shall glorify me; for he shall receive of mine, and it shall show it unto you.”

The bottom line is that the Holy Spirit is given to reveal and disclose, to convict and to convince human beings of the truths already given by Jesus Christ. And these truths have been written down in the Holy Scriptures.

There’s a lot of misunderstanding out there about the Holy Spirit. Sometimes people seem to act as if the Holy Spirit is somehow different than the Father and the Son, who are revealed in the Bible. But that’s not true. The Holy Spirit is, in fact, the Spirit of Jesus, the Spirit of Christ. So whenever people tell you that the Holy Spirit is leading them to do such-and-such or to say so-and-so, you need to check that against the revelation that has already been given by God in the Bible.

At the same time, however, we need to have the Holy Spirit in our lives: in our hearts and minds and souls. Transforming us, convincing and convicting us, and deepening our understanding of the Christian gospel. It is truly impossible to fully grasp or even understand the Gospel without the assistance of the Holy Spirit..

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement