Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Let it shine!

Author Topic: Let it shine!
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey whisper! Well, what about 'working out our salvation with fear and trembling'? If one does not know what it means, does he go ahead and 'do' something, even if he has to clean it up (as the saying goes)? We get saved, and we think we understand already, and we set out to conquer the world. But do we jump the gun?

When thinking about what to do, consider this: Paul said, "Labor to enter that rest." Ever thought about what it means? What usually happens with the word when reading it in general, is that we read and try to do what we think we are understanding. The parts we do not understand, or find objectionable, we go around as though it is not there. It is most common.

We read with blinders on even if we are 'filled' with the Spirit of God. But HE is calling us to 'discover' something about Himself. We are so busy 'doing' however, that we miss it. So in light of this, think about what scripture means when it says to, "Labor to enter that rest."

Ok, having thought about it momentarily, is it not paradoxical the way it is worded? But it sounds straightforward to read this one, "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." But what does it really mean? "HOW" does one work out his salvation, by 'working'? Not according to scripture! You even said it in your opening statement.

It is not that we do not use our hands and feet in obedience. It is in what we perceive our obedience to be. One kind of obedience is simply well wishing, and good intentions, but is nevertheless, dead works. We can 'excercise' ourselves thinking we are doing some good, but we are not doing it by His Spirit just because we read that we are to 'do' this or that. And the devil puts us under condemnation if we feel we are not 'doing enough', driving us on (but causing us to ignore what Jesus wants us to hear).

But Jesus wants us to know first off what it means to 'put' Him first. There again, we can come up with an interpretation which is not HIS, per-se, but if we do understand what it is to put HIM first, then we bear fruit in service. That is what it means to 'work' out our salvation. It doesn't mean 'do' as much as it means to understand, or learn of it.

Let's look at the "Labor to enter that rest," example. Rest is the opposite of labor. Then why would Paul say to 'work' at not working at it? Ever heard the expression, "Let go and let God?" It is like that. Do you 'work' to let go? You might, because our conditioning which is because of our sinful state wants to do the opposite. It wants to 'do' and not to 'let'. And remember, "The flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh."

So understand what the Spirit is after, and do not jump the gun. True results are the fruit of true 'relationship', without which we: 1Co 9:26 "I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:" We beat the air uncertainly if we do not get the relationship right.

Jesus is after us to know what it really means to put HIM first, not to 'do' what we think it means!

quote:
Are we not Christs hands and feet on earth.We do not earn our salvation by works but because of being saved we have His nature and do good works. Are you saying it has nothing to do with us. In the parable of the talents in Mathew 25 14-30 he was judged on what He did with his talents. [b]Are we differant, what about work out your salvation with fear and trembling why would we tremble if we had nothing to do the outcome. I am new to this post and dont quite know your theology Im just not sure what you are saying.
Please dont give me a two page summary, im just asking . whisper

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, whisper, you wrote to Michael Harrison
quote:
Are we not Christs hands and feet on earth.We do not earn our salvation by works but because of being saved we have His nature and do good works.
If I may also jump in here, I think what Michael Harrison is trying to say is that through the Holy Spirit, we have Jesus inside of us, and we ourselves can do nothing.

So it is not so much a case of us "having His Nature in us" (as if WE OURSELVES are now going to use His Nature, as if we would know how to do that?), but we stop guiding our own steps and say, Okay, Lord Jesus, YOU guide my steps and I will TRUST that whatever happens from now on, that YOU are guiding my steps.

So I basically stop trying to run my own life and say "Okay, Jesus, I'll 'cease from my own works', which has led to "nothing but sinful misery" and "whatever You tell me to do next, I'll implement".

But I myself have been asking Michael Harrison if WE still play a part with Jesus in any of this. In other words, in the verse, "Lord, not my will be done, but Your will be done", the I who OWNS the will has not disappeared, but the I has simply said, I will implement YOUR will, and not MY will".

But at the same time I began to think that it did not really matter WHO was doing the doing in me, AS LONG AS IT GOT DONE.

To use the analogy of driving a car, does it matter if (1) Jesus is in the driver's seat and I'm in the passenger seat and I'm watching where Jesus is going next, or does it matter (2) if I'm still in the driver's seat and Jesus is sitting in the passenger seat and telling me where to go next...is there a difference? [Confused]

So, does it matter who is doing the doing? Is it possible for ME to do what Jesus tells me to do next? Of course it is. So then it is also a matter of "how well I am hearing what the Spirit is saying to the churches". "He who has an ear, let him hear".

love, Eden of Chilmad who never was in the garden of Eden
"He's concerned about you"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Michael Harrison, regarding this part I bolded of your Topic
quote:
For it is not what one does 'for' Christ, though he may labor for a lifetime, but what one does 'by' Christ, that shines.
I would rephrase that to say something like, "what Christ does in us on our behalf" when we say, "Not my will be done, but Your will be done", right?

love, Eden of Chilmad

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whisper,

Welcome to the board [wave3] I agree with you. Christians will face the Judgment Seat of Christ where our works will be judged. Those without works are works done for the wrong reason (self glory, etc) will shed many tears that day.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whisper
Community Member
Member # 7616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whisper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we not Christs hands and feet on earth.We do not earn our salvation by works but because of being saved we have His nature and do good works. Are you saying it has nothing to do with us. In the parable of the talents in Mathew 25 14-30 he was judged on what He did with his talents. Are we differant, what about work out your salvation with fear and trembling why would we tremble if we had nothing to do the outcome. I am new to this post and dont quite know your theology Im just not sure what you are saying.
Please dont give me a two page summary, im just asking . whisper

Posts: 12 | From: canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek not to 'reflect' Christ. One cannot 'do' anything for Christ. That includes to reflect Christ; for in such a case, one 'purposes' to 'do' so. But life is not in it. For it is not what one does 'for' Christ, though he may labor for a lifetime, but what one does 'by' Christ, that shines.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement