Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » God Making His Abode With Us

Author Topic: God Making His Abode With Us
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Making His Abode With Us
Rev. Herman Hoeksema

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. John 14:23

That is the answer that Jesus gave to the question that arose in Judas' (not Iscariot) mind, after Jesus had said that He would manifest Himself to them and not to the world. Judas did not understand how that could be. He did not understand how that Jesus could manifest Himself unto them without manifesting Himself unto the world also. And we can easily understand why Judas could not see that.

The disciples stood prior to the resurrection; the resurrection had not yet taken place, and the Spirit had not yet come. Jesus was still in His earthly form; and how He would be after the resurrection they could not possibly see. As they knew him and saw him before the resurrection, they could not understand how Jesus could manifest Himself unto them, and not to the world. Of that higher, that spiritual, that heavenly manifestation of Jesus after His resurrection they had no conception. Therefore Jesus had said that He would pray the Father, and the Father would give them the Spirit. "Yet a little while," so Jesus had said, "and the world seeth me no more; but ye shall see me." And again as Jesus had said before, "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me; and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." It is almost the same as in the text, but there is this difference. Instead of saying, "I will manifest myself to him," Jesus in our text says, "We will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

So it was that Judas had asked, "How can that be?" To this Jesus answers, "If any man love me (now notice the connection) if any man love me, he will keep my words." That is inevitable. If any man love Christ, he will keep His words. And, "If any man keep my words, My Father will love him." Also there you cannot separate the two. If any one keep the words of Jesus, the Father will love him. And in the third place, "If the Father love any man, we will come to him, the Father and I, and we will make our abode with him. That will be my manifestation to you, and not to the world."

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement