Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How do we both "defend Bible doctrine" and "love each other"?

Author Topic: How do we both "defend Bible doctrine" and "love each other"?
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friends, If your brother needs a doctor, wouldnt you do it out of love to try and help him? Love enables one to do both.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Copper25:
Is it possible that for some, application and the depth of it, can result in the difference in interpertation? Think about it.

Hi Copper,

There are many different interpretations of scripture and I'm sure each of us are at different maturity levels and understanding, but scripture only has one Author. God's people as a whole are to be like-minded, in one mind, one heart, one accord. Thank God He has set Spirit filled Leaders in The Church for teaching and preaching.

One of Jesus' last prayers upon the Earth was "that they all might be one" no, we are not robots but are all suppose to be filled with the same Spirit and have the same understanding. I am looking forward to Heaven where there will be NO more denominations [Wink]

4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that for some, application and the depth of it, can result in the difference in interpertation? Think about it.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1Co 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

[Bible] There must be only 1 (one) understanding. I am sticking with what Paul knew! [angel3]

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Copper25 , Yahweh need no men-pleasers...

Grace is Grace and the Commandments are the Commandments and never shall to 2 be separated!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
quote:

Matthew 24:5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

And do you think that any of those false prophets were loving enough to speak hard words or that they were just patronizing people strait to hell?

So how do we know YOUR not a false prophet. Anyone can quote scripture.

You know, I frankly don't care what you think of me, whether you believe me or not, I don't care, I don't have any reputation with you or with this site on who I am, what I say, anything I say, you can leave it, you can abandon it, you can despise it all you want, I don't care, take it to heart or leave it. If you think I am false don't read my post or my replies but as I said, I am not in seeking reputation with man, but rather to be a servant of God in any way that I can. [/QB]
Right~

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
quote:

Matthew 24:5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

And do you think that any of those false prophets were loving enough to speak hard words or that they were just patronizing people strait to hell?

So how do we know YOUR not a false prophet. Anyone can quote scripture. [/QB]
You know, I frankly don't care what you think of me, whether you believe me or not, I don't care, I don't have any reputation with you or with this site on who I am, what I say, anything I say, you can leave it, you can abandon it, you can despise it all you want, I don't care, take it to heart or leave it. If you think I am false don't read my post or my replies but as I said, I am not in seeking reputation with man, but rather to be a servant of God in any way that I can.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper wrote...People call the truth at times legalism when it is the truth, people think that if a person preaches obedience, then that person is preaching on the untruth or once again legalism. People love the leniency teaching that is roaming around in churches, because it is EASY, and obedience seems like such a terrible thing. As I said before, patronization is a deadly thing!

I have to agree with you Copper on this. The word says that they would become this way in the last days. Anyone that preaches a command or instruction from the word they seem to want to change and or distort that teaching and accuse the teacher. We know that God and His word do not and will never change.

<< 2 Timothy 4 >>
“Preach the Word”

1 I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: 2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. 5 But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And do you think that any of those false prophets were loving enough to speak hard words or that they were just patronizing people strait to hell? [/QB]

So how do we know YOUR not a false prophet. Anyone can quote scripture.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Eden, I tend not to measure degree of love toward someone on just how much they agree with me.

This is the problem with the world! People love what tickles their eyes, what sounds good and patronizing. Well I would rather have someone disagree with me then to ever have a yes man in my corner who is just patronizing me! Patronization is a deadly thing and that is why we are in the apostasy in today's faith. People call the truth at times legalism when it is the truth, people think that if a person preaches obedience, then that person is preaching on the untruth or once again legalism. People love the leniency teaching that is roaming around in churches, because it is EASY, and obedience seems like such a terrible thing. As I said before, patronization is a deadly thing!

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
love isn't shown by always agreeing with someone...

more often than not when we truly love it puts us at odds with others....

some on this board have a better understanding on say prophesy, sanctification, or some other subject than I do....

but on say mercy, or long suffering I have a better understanding.....

I'm not sure but I think I have been here on this board longer than anyone except David.... I can say with Yahweh as my witness, I love all on this board, even those I disagree with ....

I have been encouraged by many members of this board, I have been challenged to go deeper into the word by many members of this board, I have learned much from many members of this board... this BBS is a family, it is a Church, it is an extension of the Body of Yahshua....

I pray if I have offended anyone....hurt anyone...or in any way did not come across that what I post is in love... please forgive me....

my only desire is to see all men and women saved and part of Yahweh's Eternal Kingdom...

Yahweh's richest Blessing on you all as we all seek Him and His Kingdom.....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Copper25 wrote
quote:
Just because you disagree with someone on a certain issue or topic or even offend someone because of your view, why would that automatically mean that you do not love them?
dear Copper25, I do tend to love the person more who agrees with me than the person who disagrees with me, eventhough all of us are in the Family of God. Is that YOUR experience also, or just mine?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

hey, oneinchrist, I appreciated your post right above this one, it was touching. I agree that I would rather be presented with an "opposing opinion", even if presented in a somewhat of "rude way", than be a "rubberstamp parliamentary person in the Soviet Union communist party". I'd rather hear someone's opinion on "my stuff" than a "rubberstamp nothing kind of an answer".

Anyway, I get from Betty Louise and from you and from myself, that overall we appreciate this Christian bbs and for those who stay long enough, we can "actually learn something new", Amen?

love, Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
Your question sounds to me like this question........"how do I nicely tell someone that they are wrong?"

First of all, it seems that it would be necessary to be certain that you are 100% positively right about what it is that you are saying. Then try to construct an explanation that you believe is simple, understandable, and down to the point(which I believe that you, Eden, do pretty well). Then provide biblical support for your explanation. Encourage others to challenge you and be willing to look at things from other perspectives.

Things can get a little stickier if we are attempting to defend an OPINION on scripture. We would probably fair better off to present our view as an opinion and then be open to a joint search for biblical answers. I believe that God may choose to bless us with more insight as we strive to learn together.

I would rather that someone tells me that they disagree and give a rude explanation than for them to agree with me just for the sake of agreeing.......of course, lol, I'd rather receive the disagreement with a polite explanation but I know that is not always going to happen.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Just because you disagree with someone on a certain issue or topic or even offend someone because of your view, why would that automatically mean that you do not love them?

Mark 12:31) And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

I may have a disagreement with a family member but that doesn't mean that I don't love them.

The truth, we may not always speak that which is going to please everybody’s ears. The truth, we may have disagreements where someone gets offended. The truth, some people will not be able to handle or deal with that which was regarded in the previous sentence.

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Yes Betty, bless you. Fill my cup Lord!
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,

I have been off and on for many years. Sometimes those who are the most offended are the very ones who talked down to people and act like their opinions are the only ones that are right.

I honestly do not think this board is so bad. Yes we do not always agree on everything. The truth is we are individuals with different backgrounds and different ideas. Just because we are Christians does not mean we turn into robots. God does not take away our personalities when we get saved and turn us into machines.
Sure we sometimes get out of hand but we are quick to apologize and we share our love with one another.

We need to stop bashing ourselves and realize that we are sinners saved by grace and we love each other and we love God. This is the glue that binds us together.

While I hope that we on this board can show Christian love to each other and to visitors, to me this board is not where we come to impress visitors but should be a safe place to speak freely. We face a sinful world everyday where we often have to pin on a smile while we deal with sinful people who flaunt their sinful ways in our faces. This board's main responsibility is to be a safe place for us to refuel so we can go out and face the sinful world we live in.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

1Co 1:10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.

How? through the Spirit.

1Co 10:17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

How? through the Spirit.

Jn 6:33-35a For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34"Sir," they said, "from now on give us this bread." 35Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life.

Partake how? by the Spirit.

I do not pray for these [my disciples] only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word. I pray that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and have loved them even as you loved me. (vv. 20-23)

One How? In, by, through and made One BY The Spirit.

No unity in Christ through the Spirit = NO PEACE

3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Where is The Spirit of God?

--------------------

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden asks,
quote:
How do we both "defend Bible doctrine" and "love each other"?

I've watched a lot of members on this forum attempt to do this over the course of many years, and I've attempted from time to time to share in this process. In most of these incidents the efforts have been less than effective and rather frustrating to the participants. Some very loving and intelligent and sincere Christians have left this forum rather than endure the abuse that they have received from their efforts. I've thought about leaving, but I'm still here.

I'll share a few suggestions that may help us in this process. We should each seek to be as clear as we can in the point of biblical doctrine that we are seeking to make in our postings. And we should limit each posting to a single point. And we should avoid "proof-texting" lists of quoted biblical passages in any effort to prove the point that we are seeking to make. And we should each be more humble in our efforts to share the wisdom of God's words of grace and instruction as we seek to encourage each other in the sanctified process of spiritual growth.

It is the Holy Spirit who is the authoritative guide to the "truth" of God's word, not my intellect. Debates regarding biblical doctrines are seldom very beneficial to anyone. Jesus never lost any debates in which he engaged, but the Bible doesn't seem to record any conversions from his victories, particularly among the scribes and Pharisees.

We can probably best discuss Bible doctrine in a spirit of love as we humbly and clearly share our inspired insights with each other in a conscious effort to encourage each other to grow to a level of spiritual wisdom and service where we are producing "fruit" that brings glory to God. If we can do this, more of our members will be encouraged in their lives of faith and many non-believing viewers may be attracted to Jesus because of the love and divine wisdom that see us sharing with each other in this forum. This is my prayer. I hope that my suggestions are helpful in this process. May God bless us all!

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found in Him wrote
quote:
Eden wrote..."it just does not get any better than this"
And Found in Him answered: ?

If reality is any indication, I have yet to find a Christian site, or indeed a bunch of Christian sites, where the participants are "alll that loving".

In a book called The Snow Leopard, the author discovered as he trekked thru the villages on his way up to the Himalayays in Nepal that "in some villages everyone was friendly" and "in other villages everyone was scowling".

And likewise I have only found Christian websites where Christians have difficulty reconciling how to defend the Bible doctrine ("to keep it pure, so to speak") and be loving at the same time to the person who is being perceived as "sowing incorrect doctrine".

And frankly most sites are even more "in a clash about it" than this Christian bbs, and that's why I stay here, because "it is better than most".

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Eden wrote..."it just does not get any better than this"

?

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

How do we both "defend Bible doctrine" and "love each other"?

In another Topic, FoundinHim wrote something about her getting "upset" when someone wrote certain things "about God or about doctrine".

I do think that we are called to "defend Biblical doctrine" and I do think that gets in the way of "loving each other".

And thus far I have found NO WAY out of that, they seem to be "mutually exclusive" and yet we "try to do both of them with relish"?

Are we just kidding ourselves, and is this not rather a case of "having to make the best of it" because "defending Bible doctrine is imporant" and if "we don't exactly love one another in the process", it can't be helped?

What do you think of this? The reason why I am stil here is because for now I think that, "it just does not get any better than this", and by realistically accepting that fact, I am able to stay longer when others like bluefrog or Clyde Fultz III may be inclined to leave?

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement