Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Doing is not necessarily having

Author Topic: Doing is not necessarily having
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My words neither accuse nor degrade. Your hearing interprets them that way.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
I cannot say this strongly enough. You typify the extremely widespread trouble with the Charismatics found in him, of which I am unmistakably one, by the way. You think you have 'arrived' while at the same time, you would preach, if in the pulpit, "Let us not say, 'I have arrived'!"

I have told you before...I don't know anything BUT Jesus and Him crucified. He is ALL I need. Not your words of accusation and degradation.

You speak as one who needs to learn and is void of understanding that is obvious in your speech. The Spirit brings clarity even in rebuke NOT confusion!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Charismatic/Pentecostal/Full Gospel church is bankrupt according as it is written:

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Let us not say "I have arrived," but discover what it means. There is not a minister in America I would not withstand concerning this.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot say this strongly enough. You typify the extremely widespread trouble with the Charismatics found in him, of which I am unmistakably one, by the way. You think you have 'arrived' while at the same time, you would preach, if in the pulpit, "Let us not say, 'I have arrived'!"
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the [doing?] flesh?
Gal 3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain?

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law [DOING], or by the hearing of faith?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

If one has not destroyed ‘the things’, he cannot rebuild them. They are already there. Therefore he is already a transgressor, but in denial about it. That is the state of many who say they are found. So it is not about salvation, but sanctification. And fruit cannot be properly born if one is still in denial.

Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

I live unto God, meaning I have HIS life within me. I am dead to the law which I cannot accomplish by ‘doing’, but alive unto the ‘doer’.

Gal 2:20 I am [also] crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

So, I live by the faith OF Christ, which one should note, means I am alive by the faith which HE himself has imparted to me. So….

Gal 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law [doing], then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law [doing], or by the hearing [having] of faith?

How will you 'do,' which is by the works of the law, anything to accomplish His will? Received ye the Spirit by 'doing'?

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear Michael Harrison, sometimes my heart aches for the way that you describe what seems to me I am also describing. But I AGREE with what you wrote here in your Topic:
quote:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Partakers! We are 'partakers' of HIS divine nature; partakers by the promises. That simply means that faith 'realizes' the promises of God as one aligns with Him. And that is apart from what 'we' do. For it is what we 'have', but only if by 'faith' we realize it.

If I may, Michael Harrison, I agree with you that it is not me "doing anything" when "Jesus does it for me", and that, in that sense, it is not "doing" but "already having". Right?

Michael Harrison (can I call u something shorter, please?), you continued:
quote:
And upon such, these indicated by the following verses are the 'fruit' of having - meaning results:

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

And these are things we think 'we' do. However, we do not! We 'have' them. We 'add' them by receiving them.

Yes, I agree with you. Through my posts with you I have come to the realization that WE sinful first Adamic beings DO NOT HAVE THOSE QUALITIES such as "godliness, brotherly kindliness" (and so forth [Big Grin] ), and ONLY JESUS IN US HAS THESE QUALITIES.

Isn't that what you are trying to say to us, brother Michael Harrison?

And so you title your Topic, "Doing is not necessarily having"

love, Eden
"who am I, Aaron or Moses", in this? But, "the joy of the Lord is my Strength"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison wrote
quote:
Read carefully. Don't miss the simplicity.
I love that bolded part in your case, Michael Harrison. [Big Grin] I DO MISS the simplicity! [Big Grin]

Eden
"But I do love you, Michael H., and I'm sure that you have your place in the body of Christ; I'm just not sure what your body part is" [Big Grin]

(But let me get serious and see what you are saying in your Topic...)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison,
You need to be taught the scriptures under a Spirit filled teacher. THEN when you understand the scriptures you might be able to teach another!

Your teaching is void The Spirit of God!

God is NOT the author of confusion.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

1Pe 1:12 Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

They preached the gospel 'by' the Holy Ghost. Neither does any man 'do' anything that lays up treasure in heaven but by the Holy Ghost (in other words, "love your neighbor," "preach" etc.

1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

Don't 'be' ignorant. Don't fashion yourselves according to your former ignorance. Realize the grace of God that is given you.

1Pe 1:15 As he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation [behavior];
1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

When the word HOLY is used, it is not to be taken lightly, such as when one substitutes 'mature' for perfect. Don't override the grace given you. Unbelief overides it. Holiness dissappears.

1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

He was manifest in these last times in which we are in, we, who 'by' HIM, BELIEVE, in God. By HIM! It is the 'faith of' Jesus Christ which saves us, once we have 'believed'. Dig that mustard seed!

1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

Ye have obeyed, if you have obeyed, "by, or through the Spirit," and not by 'doing'.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

1Pe 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

1Pe 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

He hath begotten us unto a lively hope! We are begotten unto a lively hope. By being begotten unto a lively hope, it means we are born to it, a lively hope. We are ‘married’ to it. It is a part of us, functionally. This is so by the ‘resurrection’ of Christ from the dead. And we are begotten to:

1Pe 1:4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

1Pe 1:5 [We] are kept through faith, by the power of God, unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

That salvation is to be revealed in the ‘last’ time, or end of a predetermined season.

1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: 1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

So that in that season your faith may be found into the praise and honor at HIS appearing.

1Pe 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

The end product of your faith is the salvation of your soul. What does that say about not having faith? And think about what we have, which all of Israel did not for all their wanderings. Yet we discount it. We take it for granted in some ways.

1Pe 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

But will ye have it?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Read carefully. Don't miss the simplicity.

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Partakers! We are 'partakers' of HIS divine nature; partakers by the promises. That simply means that faith 'realizes' the promises of God as one aligns with Him. And that is apart from what 'we' do. For it is what we 'have', but only if by 'faith' we realize it. And upon such, these indicated by the following verses are the 'fruit' of having - meaning results:

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

And these are things we think 'we' do. However, we do not! We 'have' them. We 'add' them by receiving them.

I used to say that one cannot 'do' what one has. Perhaps I said it wrong. Perhaps I should've said that we only 'do' what we have. It is not however as though we 'do' them. But they are manifest through us, by faith, according to our receptivity, or lack of it. And Peter saieth:

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

You will not be unfruitful in 'knowing' Him, for these things, “if they be in you,” make you….. And that is what it is all about. For 'doing' is not knowing. And the secret is in knowing. And knowing is having. Therefore one is not barren or unfruitful ‘in what HE will do' (by our faith).

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

So I know that Peter said "if ye 'do' these things." But you can train the garden hose on the flowers and stand there all day long with it. But if the water is not on, what(?) are you doing? That is what Jesus wants you to get. You can say you are watering the flowers, but you are only going through the motions.

So 'knowing' translates into something being 'done'. And 'doing' does not translate into accomplishing anything. But if you realize (faith) you will be 'in'.

2Pe 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

Has the daystar arisen in your heart?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement