Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Rest for the weary

Author Topic: Rest for the weary
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So are you saying that they wasn't being helpmeets? Holy cow there in the potato patch!

I don't doubt that we sinful Adams and we sinful Eves have some sinful habits at this points which we have inherited from our father the devil and which are now seriously ingrained in both Adams and Eves.

Do women talk more than men? Probably so. But men probably do something more than women, like, watch sports, or (you name it), and so they could well say too on Sundays to "their bbs" friends, "you know what men are like".

Anyway, you should have asked them to "put a sock in it" for a while so that you and your cousin's husband could have had "some peace and quiet" in your Rolls-Royce.

love, Eden

"next time let's go with, "No Rest for the Weary"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

okay, frogster leaps, what was the husband of your wife's cousin thinking while you wuz thinking all dis stuff in Oklahoma?

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
EDEN....Subj: Rest for the weary.

Please, I beg for mercy. I have spent a whole day with two women sitting in the back seat of my car. One talked constantly. The other spoke when the other stopped to take a breath.

Following my escape I come to my puter and get a lecture on being a male chauvinist.

No doubt you were having a bad day. The trick is not to be caught in a car with two women in the back seat. That's what my mommy told me a few years ago. Was any of them your wife and the other your mother?

Hey, bluefrog, sometimes too much talking can drive me nuts too. And is it true that women talk more than men? I do think that is true. [crying]

Subject: Rest for the weary

bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EDEN....Subj: Rest for the weary.

Please, I beg for mercy. I have spent a whole day with two women sitting in the back seat of my car. One talked constantly. The other spoke when the other stopped to take a breath.

Following my escape I come to my puter and get a lecture on being a male chauvinist. I try to quiet you down with my sock in it request. You in turn provide me with a lecture on the subject of "Put a sock in it".

Please....help me. [1zhelp]

Eden
unregistered

Meaning of Put a sock in it

A request to be quiet. [Big Grin]

Origin

This is a colloquial British phrase that originated in the early 20th century. It is generally used when someone is being so noisy as to annoy others. The imagery behind the phrases is that putting a sock in whatever was causing the noise would quieten it down. What that thing was isn't known. There are suggestions that this may have been the horn of an early gramophone or, more straightforwardly, the raucous person's mouth.

The earliest example of it in print that I can find is a definition of the term in the weekly literary review The Athenaeum 1919:

"The expression ‘Put a sock in it’, meaning 'Leave off talking, singing or shouting'."

The fact that an erudite publication saw fit to define the term suggests it was recently coined in 1919.

Were you born in 1919?

Eden

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
EDEN...Put a sock in it. You know very well that I was teasing Found in Him and she did too.
Yeah...that's what the civil rights leaders were told too in Mississippi, "Put a sock in it. You know very well..."

The mistreatment of women is not a laughing matter, especially not for bornagain Christians. the method of "teasing" is usually a COVERT FORM of prejudice. I have always cringed when I have heard the phrase "the little woman" or "the little wife" from some preacher, as the men made sure to make themselves "bigger" than "the little woman".

When it comes to treating women with the respect that they deserve, bluefrog, YOU stick a sock in it, and start treating women with the respect that they deserve. God loves the women, and says, "hehehe".

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe... [Big Grin]

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...Put a sock in it. You know very well that I was teasing Found in Him and she did too.
Eden
unregistered

Here are some sobering facts about women in the world, according to the encyclopedia Our Globe and How to Reach it, by David Barrett, 1990.

84 million women have been genitally mutilated in the world up to the year 1990. In 1990, women did do 75% of the manual labor but received only 10% of the world's income.

Only 1% of the world's women own property. In 1990, 200 million women were mistreated by men and only 35% of the paid workforce were women and 70% of the poor in the world were women, and women were 75% of the sick and disabled in the world in 1990

In 1990, there were 950,000 ordained ministers in the world, and 50,000 of those ministers were women, or 5% of the 950,000 ordained ministers were women.

Subject: Rest for the weary (women)

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
Wild B....You know how women are.
Don't be a chauvinist, bluefrog. You have already made several chauvinist disparaging remarks about women on this bbs. I understand it's your generation, but it is something that you should watch. God loves women. Found in Him responded with an appropriate, "Heeeeeeeeeeeey!, for good reason. Don't put women down.

chauvinism: definition
"Prejudiced belief in the superiority of one's own gender, group, or kind"

Genesis 1
27 So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them.

28 And God blessed them ...

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smart move. Looks like your better half trained you well! Good for her!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

I plead the 5th amendment.
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Heeeeeeeeey! What's that mean bluefrog? God made us to keep you guys on your toes! He's smart!

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

Wild B....You know how women are. hehe [Smile]
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Found in Him:
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
Your post are to long winded.

Well, pass em by then k?
No sorry , I am a watchman.

Was just giving some internet advice.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 16 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if 8 minutes is to long don't bother to read

Found in Him [thumbsup2]

I like the imagery of the yoke....The Holy Spirit through the writers of scripture is good at word pictures.....

THE YOKE OF SUBMISSION

A yoke, as you know, is part of the harness of the labouring ox: a beam of wood across the top nicely curved to the shape of the neck, and a peg through on each side in front of the shoulders. The yoke is strapped to the plough or cart, so that as the ox presses forward into the yoke his energy is channeled into useful work. Jesus had probably made dozens of such yokes in the carpenter's shop in Nazareth. Perhaps he had the slogan written up in Hebrew over the door: "My yoke is easy!"

During Old Testament times, however, a more sinister meaning had been given to the symbolism of the yoke. After a victory in battle, the successful general would yoke the defeated king to his chariot and make him drag it along like a beast under the lash. Thus the yoke became the sign of SUBMISSION. If a vanquished city wished to capitulate to an invading or besieging army, the leading citizens would appear on the top of the walls wearing yokes. The prophet Jeremiah put a wooden yoke on his own neck to indicate to the people that they must submit to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. Hananiah, who favoured resistance, took off Jeremiah's yoke and broke it. But the Lord said to Jeremiah: "Go, tell Hananiah, You have broken the wooden yoke, but I will make in its place yokes of iron." (Jeremiah 28:10, 13.)

Against this background of usage, with the yoke symbolizing submission and even slavery, the calm statement by Jesus that his disciples must take his yoke upon them acquires a bite which is lost to us today. "You must submit to me absolutely. You must become my captive, even my slave." There is nothing soft or sentimental about that!

Christ is the imperious King. He demands that we bear his yoke, giving him a total commitment of all we have and are. We must come humbly out of our walled cities, with yokes on our necks and the keys in our hands. "Great Conqueror," we must say, falling on our knees before him, "we surrender unconditionally. We hold nothing back. You shall be our Master for ever."

What I am telling you is very unpopular these days, especially in a nation brought up to the ideal of the freedom of the individual. There is a Master who has absolute claim upon our property, our time, our talents, our life. Everything we think and say and do must be submitted to his scrutiny and rejected if it is not in harmony with his will. Nothing can be hidden from him, and it is useless for us to try to have any private life at all behind shut doors. Even if we make our bed in hell, he is there.

But wait a moment! There is another side to this. If you are prepared to submit yourself to God without reservation, and when you actually do this, the whole situation changes. Once you are committed to him as a slave, you find him no longer a demanding task-master but a loving Father. Having accepted his yoke, we find that, in fact, it fits us perfectly and does not gall us in the least; it is an "easy" yoke. Having undertaken to carry his heavy burden and hitched it up on our backs, we find it as light as a piece of styrofoam!

Many people in the past—saints and ordinary folk like ourselves—have proved this to be the case, and have recorded their experience: that "it is not so difficult to live the life of heaven as is commonly believed." For, once you have given yourself up to the Lord, he takes all your responsibilities off your shoulders.

How difficult, how complicated, is the life of him who tries to live for himself. Always he must be considering his status; on no account can he afford to "lose face". He is in a perpetual state of anxiety lest someone should creep up and outdo him. He must be building up his ego all the time. He must be praised; but if anyone else is praised or preferred before him, it is bitterness and gall. Much depends on his possessions—his property; if he loses a few pounds or dollars, it is like the extraction of a tooth! And so he is in a perpetual state of fear: afraid of himself and his own inability to live up to the image he has of himself; afraid of humiliation, afraid of loss, afraid of sickness, afraid above all of death. A heavy yoke indeed!

On the other hand, once you no longer belong to yourself but to the Lord, all these fears and inadequacies and jealousies disappear. If people misunderstand you, what does it matter? It does not touch you, because you are the Lord's. If they criticize you, you agree with them—they are probably right! You can no longer be hurt, because your pride is no longer swollen, red and "touchy". As for temptations to do foolish and wicked things, they no longer affect you, because Jesus is at your side. You just say, "Lord, please handle this situation for me," and the battle is won. And so you are at peace, with a peace the world can neither give nor take away. And with that peace comes joy.

Religion is a paradox; it works by opposites. Evil spirits offer you everything you could desire: freedom, pleasure, glamour, excitement, fun, a real good time; but, once you attend to them and accept their blandishments they rapidly reduce you to a condition of slavery. "He who commits sin is the bond-slave of sin." They are like the spider who invites and entices the fly into his parlour and then gobbles it up! Our Lord's way is the complete reverse of this. He offers us (or seems to offer us) nothing but hardship and renunciation, a total sacrifice, a yoke, a cross. But if you accept him on those terms you discover that in fact "his yoke is easy and his burden is light." And beyond the cross is—glorification! The Lord is not really the hard task-master he would appear to be. He is meek and lowly of heart, and, if you take his yoke upon you and learn of him, you will find rest unto your soul.

For years I have been trying to lighten the load of people's religious lives—and my own also. So many of us find religion a serious and heavy-going business, whereas it should be light as air. We find it solemn and gloomy, whereas it should be joyous and uplifting. I have wondered and worried over this. Where have we gone wrong? Well, here is the answer, right before us! We are failing to enjoy the full lightness and joyousness of the Christian life because we have not taken the first essential step of accepting Christ as our Master! We are not enjoying the easy yoke because we have not taken on Christ's yoke at all—fearing it might be too heavy! We shall never experience the joy of intimacy with our heavenly Father until we have first submitted ourselves to him as a Conqueror. We must empty ourselves out of self before we can be filled with the healthful spirit of his grace. He is standing here by our side, ready and waiting to fill the tank of our car with the highest grade of spirit, but unfortunately the tank is already full—full of dirty water!

WE must take the initial step, which will have to be a negative one—"Thou shalt not!" We must stop battling against the forces of heaven, which many of us have spent our lives doing in the past. Battling for what?—for the proud privilege and honour of being an evil spirit in hell! We must wave the white flag and give in to our masterful Lord. We must yield ourselves up in unconditional surrender and take his yoke upon us. Only then shall we experience wholeness and peace.

One point on which people seem to be in doubt. They realize there must be a full submission but do not see how this fits in with the continued exercise of their freewill and responsibility. They suppose that the only way to renounce self completely is to stop living in the world, to give up the rat race and go and live in a convent or a monastery. But no! To renounce the world means to live in the world but renounce its evils. Submission to the Lord does not mean laying down one's tools. The ox in the yoke pushes forward and does his Master's work; in fact, the very purpose of the yoke, as we saw at the beginning, is to channel his energy into useful labour. The captive and the slave are not expected to sit around idle. The sign of the yoke is that they must work harder than ever, but on their master's behalf and in his interests instead of their own. So with the son of the household; he works the hardest of all, as his father's representative and heir. We shall still have to go on exercising our free-will and sense of responsibility, but as the Lord's agents, his children, responsible to him.

The yoke is not only a symbol of submission but is also actually a help to more efficient and useful labour in the Lord's vineyard. The "rest" which Jesus offers us is not a cessation of activity, rather it is a rest from anxiety, tension, worry and fear, a rest from temptation and the itch of self-importance. "Come to me," says Jesus, "all you who labour and are heavy laden in that sense, and I will give you rest. Bend your necks to my yoke, and learn of me so that you can do the job better. For I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

To next chapter

http://www.swedenborgdigitallibrary.org/ootw/ootw12.htm [/B]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:

Well, pass em by then k?

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

True Rest for the Weary of Soul
by John L. Hoffman

Turn to Mark chapter 6 for a moment. I've just got to show you this, I think this is such a wonderful picture of our Savior. He sends the disciples out to minister and to preach and to tell people about Him, and to go before the different cities where He's about to go, and they come back. In Mark chapter 6, verse 30: "Then the apostles gathered to Jesus and told Him all things both what they had done and what they had taught." Look what He did: He said to them, "Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest for a while. For there were many coming and going and they did not even have time to eat. So they departed to a deserted place in the boat by themselves."

Jesus said, Listen, let's get away. Let's go away to a deserted place and let's just rest for a while. Jesus, the Son of God, says this. And you've got to know the rest of the story: no sooner did they get there than the crowds find out about it, and they all come there, too! Oh, great, now what? And it's interesting: Jesus didn't say, "GO AWAY, all you crowds!" He didn't get in the boat - you know, He could've sent a thunderstorm or something to make them go away - but He didn't. He welcomed them, He even fed them. And I learned a lesson from that. That there are those times in your Christian life when you're just really, really busy, and it just seems like a lot, and you try to get away to get a rest, and you go off with Jesus, and you find out the work even follows you there. But you're with Jesus, and even then, the work is a rest if you're with Jesus. Even then, He gives rest.

I am often weary IN the work, but I'm never weary OF the work." And there's a huge difference, isn't there? I think this is the key. This is the passage for people who are laboring to the point of weariness, and are heavy-laden. Laboring to the point of weariness gives me a picture of something that's going on on the inside of you, and heavy-laden gives me a concept of something that's going on on the outside of you. Have you ever felt that way? Please don't lie - of course you have. I'll bet some of you are feeling that way right now. You feel the Christian-ese pressure of "you've got to do a bunch of things, and you have to be active and busy, and you've got to have a really good resume to show the Lord all the things you did for Him. And you know what? 99% of it isn't stuff He cares about because HE didn't give it to you. And He says, hey, just come away and rest!

So I've got some good news for you if you're heavy-laden and you're weary to the point of exhaustion: we serve a great Savior, who loves us and cares more about us than He cares about what we can do for Him. Young people, always remember: Jesus Christ doesn't need your service. What He wants is your fellowship. That's what He's after.

Here, the Lord Jesus calls out to us who are weary and heavy-laden, and makes a great offer. I want us to look at this passage together, and take from Jesus. He's giving us something very precious here about what He really cares about and what's important to Him. I wonder if maybe the Lord wasn't just letting me hit brick walls all night last night just so He could grab me by the ears and make look at this passage because that's what we really need this morning. I trust that that's the case.

First thing I want you to notice here is that Jesus gives a wonderful invitation to His precious people, who are working so hard and are so needy. You've got to really understand this invitation in the way that He gives it. He says, "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest." So here's the invitation. He says, Come to me. I'd like to suggest to you that the the first word you need to notice is, "Come." You know that 99% of the time, that's our big problem: we don't come. We just don't come. We try to hunker down and do it, we try to make it happen in our own power and our own energies. We try to do it without the Lord, and the whole time long He's saying, "Come. Come unto Me."

Here's what He says: "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, from I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."You'll find rest in the work in the work that He gives. Isn't that wonderful?

First of all, He says to wear a yoke. You know what that is, don't you? You've seen those pictures in the old days of oxen that are bound together by that big beam of wood. In fact, there's a Bible scholar named William Barcley, who was a Scottish Bible teacher. He remembered that Jesus was a carpenter, and he's wondered if Jesus even made oxen yoke as a part of His work. Maybe He even had a business card that said "My yokes are easy." Could be - I don't know! But here He says, "Come unto Me and put on a yoke! I've got a rest for you." Put on this - what? Yeah, a yoke!

I want to show you something about a yoke. (Sounds like I'm telling you a yoke.) It's a verse in 1 Tim 6:1. This is what the apostle Paul says: "Let as many bondservants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor."

You know what a yoke means in this case? It's a symbol for service. It's a symbol for duty. In Acts 15, when the Jerusalem council was gathered together to decide what should be placed on the Gentiles - anything of the Old Testament law ­ the council was urged by Peter: "Now therefore why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?" You know what the yoke is there? It's duty according to the law. Get a picture in your mind here, when Jesus says "Take My yoke upon you," what He's saying is, "Place yourself willingly under My direct supervisional service. Do the duties I tell you to perform." That's what Jesus's assignment to us is: when we come to Him as He commands us, He gives us a yoke to wear.

Then He says, "...and learn of Me." The word in the original language used for learn here is the word that basically carries the idea of learn by experience.

He says, "Take My yoke upon you and learn of me." Here's what kind of manner of Teacher He is: He is "meek," or "gentle", and "lowly of heart." "Meek" meaning He's approachable. "Lowly of heart" - Jesus is not "lowly," He's mighty! He's the Almighty God! But He's lowly of heart. Meaning that, although He is the majestic King of kings and Lord of Lords, He's approachable. He's humble toward you, and He loves you. When you come to Him, He doesn't say, "What now? Can't you do anything right?" He doesn't do that - ever! He says, "Come here. I love you so. You're doing the wrong things, but you know what? I've got the right things for you. Take My yoke on you." Be just like Mary - don't be like Martha. Be like what Martha, we hope, eventually became! But be like Mary, just "sit at My feet, and learn of Me."

Do you know what the result will be? You will find rest for your souls. This is the promise that He gives us. When you come to Jesus on your terms, you find rest for your souls and I'll bet you'll agree with me, rest for your soul is far more satisfying than rest for your body. Have you ever been that way? So weary and tired in your soul that sleep won't do it? Lots of sleep won't do it! There's something else that's needed here; and Jesus promises rest for your soul. Here's the promise He gives when you come to Him: My yoke is easy. It's not a hard yoke. My burden is light. It's not a heavy burden.

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement