Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Be Ye Perfect...

Author Topic: Be Ye Perfect...
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Eden.

Ya know, that takes a major load off doesn't it?

Most folks, I think, look at Perfect as not being achievable especially when it comes to human expectations. Go for the Gold is gooder and more achievable, at least the "Go" part.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But "Be you perfect", which in Hebrew is "tam", simply means "walk uprightly".

As in this verse:

Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the LORD requires of you, but to do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God?

And those three are not that hard to do, to at least TRY to "do justly", which simply means "to not have unjust weights at the market" and "to tell the truth" and to "not take anything that doesn't belong to me".

And to "love mercy" is also not that hard to do and is encouraged when the Lord says, "I will be merciful to the merciful".

And to walk "humbly" with the Lord, is it not to acknowledge that I am a sinner before God and am only saved by the mercy and grace of God because God wanted at least SOME SONS AND DAUGHTERS?

So it is not that hard to "Be Ye Perfect" or "tam", to "do justly", to "love mercy" and to "walk humbly", Amen? It's a "decision" to at least "try" to do these things. That is "being tam" or "upright"; not "perfect" but "upright".

love, Eden
"God wouldn't have written it on 2 tablets if it wasn't possible" (and now we have the Holy Spirit to convict us!)

Eden
unregistered

Proverbs 25:27
It is not good to eat much honey; likewise for men to search their own glory is not glory.

Matthew 6:2
Therefore when you do your alms, do not sound a trumpet before yourself, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Truly I say to you, They have their reward.

But I don't know anyone who seeks his own glory on THIS CHRISTIAN bbs?

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Clyde...thanks for your input.

Found in Him...thank you too.

Regardless of my color, I don't like being told to get in the back of the bus because I am inferior. It took a man like Dr. King to come along and disclose what the problem really was.
When someone tells me that I don't qualify as a Christian according to their superiority it doesn't set right. Negative things don't work for the good. Double mindedness works nothing.
We are told to engage and resist the devil in battle with him. God is not the problem. To do this we listen to God's Master Plan and read His Word so to recognize the truth. Engage into faith.

In case it matters, I am caucasion. That was not the point.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bluefrog! you wrote....These individuals find it impossible to find anything good to say to you or anyone else. They press and press because You are the evil one, the unbeliever, the ignorant and misled.
They are the answer, the fair one, the all knowing and don't mind telling you so.

You are so right! The Bible has much to say bout these folks!

Jude Says:
12 These are the men who are hidden reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you without fear, caring for themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn trees without fruit, doubly dead, uprooted;

16 These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts; they speak arrogantly, flattering people for the sake of gaining an advantage.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Fultz III
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Eden:

When I say that I "must cease from my own works", does that mean that He takes over completely, or do I still do something like "first decide whether I LIKE His Counsel and then I may, or may not, implement it?"

Hello Eden,
If you do not mind, I will like to respond to this one passage. When the Bible tells us that we need to cease from our own works, it is not telling us that we need to stop existing as a "self", as we will be our "self" even in eternity. When the apostle said that although he lives, it is not he who lives, but Christ who lives in him, he is expressing that Christ, who is in God, comes and lives within us. It is in us, we being the temple, where they make their home. Yes, even that place where you call "home", is what they call "home" inside of us. But before they can do such, we have to give up the deeds of our body. Our active desire to fulfill the desires of the flesh. The Greek word for "work" is absolutely the same as "deed". They are not two different words.
Now, you say, "does that mean that He takes over completely". To say that He completely takes over is to say that you no longer have a will. If it is no longer you, but He who is in control, then, whose deeds shall be tested in the flames of glory?
By all means, we are to willingfully allow the Spirit to guide us upon God's path. It is the Spirit which tells us God's way, and having been presented to us, we choose to either follow or not to follow it. It is when we choose not to that we grieve the Spirit. If Christ was in total control, then it would be Christ who would had grieved the Spirit. That shall never be.
So, yes my sister, you do decided if you will or will not follow His council. Only a human can grive the Spirit. Only humans made the LORD repent that He ever made man.
One last thought. We have body, soul, and spirit. It is the flesh which makes up the body. It is the soul which makes up the will. It is the spirit which makes up our eternal being.

In His Love,
Clyde

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...I have gone over this on another board already but it can be confusing but it can be quite disturbing and objectionable.

Speaking of being perfect, we do all we can to please the Lord. We study, we pray, we try to live as the Lord tells us to do. We try to encourage and love our sisters and brothers.
We work together to help one another and give in different ways to accomplish all this.

However, with all that on our minds, we know that the devil lurks in our midst. We know that he is there to lead us to sins of different kinds. He is full of lies and deceitfulness. He is at his best if he can put doubts in the mind of the believers. That is how he started out and that is where he will end, doing the very same thing. Meanwhile, we all become subject to his pleasure, and especially through those least expected to be doing his work. I can not and will not ever love or forgive Satan or his work.
It is quite simple but cleverly disguised. There is however a problem which our Lord has warned us of which is not to judge but let him judge.
When I ask myself if this person is aware of what he/she is doing, I try to find out. Once convinced that they do and find that others feel the same then it is not judgement anymore it is a matter of fact. I hate for a situation like this to come up but war is hell.

Consider his first attack on the angels. Now he has more than angels. His workers are all over the place. They tear churches apart, they run new and old members off, they thrive on putting doubt and disgust in the minds of all they can. All along they are doing it as a child of God.

These individuals find it impossible to find anything good to say to you or anyone else. They press and press because You are the evil one, the unbeliever, the ignorant and misled.
They are the answer, the fair one, the all knowing and don't mind telling you so.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, watch this...

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well .... Do you?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Do you have nothing better to do WildB? Sad.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 20 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and do you hear a bleating of sheep in my post?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Samuel replies, "To obey is better than sacrifice" (1 Samuel 15:22).

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Found in Him:
If Jesus is The Lord of one's life there is no question who is leading.

Obedience is better than sacrifice.

Unless the sacrifice is done in obedience.

--------------------
That is all.....

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

If Jesus is The Lord of one's life there is no question who is leading.

Obedience is better than sacrifice.

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Subject: Be Ye Perfect

I was just wondering how you guys were doing with, "love your enemies"?

Matthew 5:44
But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless them who curse you, do good to them who hate you, and pray for them who despitefully use you, and who persecute you.

I've bolded a couple of them:

Love your enemies. How are we bornagain Christians doing with that? I'll have to be honest with you, but I love my enemies less than the people who agree with me and who are more like me.

Bless them who curse you. I would dare say that if I cursed at anyone on this bbs, I would probably be thrown off the bbs and it is likely that the person that I cursed will say something like "you are not being Christlike", instead of blessing me. And I have tried to bless those who curse me but I have not been very successful at it (though I've had my "good" moments).

Do good to them who hate you. Oh yeah, maybe once in a while I've been able to do good to someone who hates me, but generally I find it much easier to love those who agree with me than those who disagree with me, say for instance bluefrog disagrees Michael Harrison, and bluefrog eve said something like "I just don't feel the love for you that I felt before, Michael".

Indeed, I should ask, are we humans capable of those heights of love, or can ONLY JESUS IN ME act out those kinds of love because those are HEAVENLY loves...or perhaps someone on this bbs knows a WHOLE LOT of even Christian people who ARE capable of all those kinds of love?

I actually know...zero humans who have exhibited the above kinds of love, only Jesus so far. But I DO think that if we trust that JESUS can do a far better job with this vessel than I can, that Jesus may take the reins of this vessel and get behind the wheel and I move over into the passenger seat and "go along for the ride"!

There is one question that I still have:

Does JESUS take over the reins of our instruments completely, as in, He gets in the driver's seat behind the WHEEL and the GAS PEDAL and the CLUTCH?

Or am I STILL in the driver's seat behind the WHEEL and the GAS PEDAL and the CLUTCH, and Jesus is sitting in the Passenger Seat DIRECTING where I need to turn or go straight?

Which is it? Who is driving the vessel, me or Jesus?
[angel3]

When I say that I "must cease from my own works", does that mean that He takes over completely, or do I still do something like "first decide whether I LIKE His Counsel and then I may, or may not, implement it?"

Does He still need MY help driving my vessel in some way, or not? And if in some way, in what way?

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Potter's Promise:
Practicably perfect people p predictably prescribed

[wave3]

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

See what you did ! Now I've gotta go. [dance]
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Perfectly put! Presently perfect people ponder perfect persons, pursuant of Prince of Peace.

Please put perfect peoples pursuing Prince of Peace prayerfully placed prostrate proclaiming Prince of Perfection proceeded perfect peoples pronouncing Prophesied promise of perfection!

Purdy please [Big Grin]

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

I really enjoy talking to you.

I don't think it is stupid to believe that Jesus is the only Perfect One, not at all, Including the Trinity. We will all agree, I am sure, that God in Three Persons is Perfect, and we don't even know that there is any limit to their capabilities. It is true that some feel that God has made many mistakes but they are not talking about their Father in Heaven.

Don't disqualify yourself as being Perfect. You must remember that words have definitions and Perfect is not beyond you if you strive for the best you can do under your circumstances. God does not ask anything of you that you can not do does He ? As serious as this is, forget what the norm is, in 2009 on the street, when asked what perfect means. God may very well look on you as perfect now and it could include your growth in perfection as time goes by. We don't measure our perfectness, God does and what He says is good is good. Folks can read this and nit-pick on something I might have failed to mention but it isn't that difficult.

As for Jesus giving His life on the cross. That should humble us to the endth degree but is is plain and simple as well. He did it to save us. Maybe it is just too simple to comprehend.

As for your children, if you see them as perfect, isn't that good enough? Wouldn't you give your life for them if it was an option?

I have been following you around on this board, with others of course, lol and with all the doubt and critical comments thrown at you I can see why Perfect may seem like a bad word. But like they say you need to "Chill" and let the Perfect show. I know you've got it.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Hi Bluefrog! I'm sorry about your cat, your neck, The tree, your treasured pitcher and yes the gas prices too! We don't live in a perfect world do we? Some days are much better than others. It's cold here too! I guess we could sit and write county songs if we wanted, but you're right we have Jesus!

About this perfection thing-a-ma-bobber... I struggle to understand this thing I think because of one simple thing. I don't wanna be perfect!
Why?
Cause I feel Jesus should be the only perfect one. Stupid? I dunno. I know He said to be perfect, I know it says it all through the bible. But I ain't. Hard as I could ever try, I couldn't ever measure up! He has done an awesome thing there on that cross. It means more than we can chew on in a lifetime. Does that mean that I give Him less than everything I've got? Absolutely not! I give everything cause what He has done for me.

How God can look at us and call us His children at all is beyond me! We ain't perfect, that's for sure!

I look at Paul and Peter as examples of Godly NT men, saints they are-- but to me, they still didn't measure up to the perfect one!

As long as I have an open and repentant heart, I don't believe He will ever turn me away.

I look at my children and of course they are perfect to me...But really, They ain't! [Wink]

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

What a perfect day ! It is 24 degrees and there is ice on the road. A couple of large limbs fell out of a tree. My cat must go to the vet.
There is a rash on my neck. Gas just went up another 15 cents. My wife just broke a pitcher we were given at our wedding 52 years ago. None of this discourages me because I have Jesus.

Remember the movie Kung Foo ? A story about a master of Kung Foo and his student Grasshopper?
Grasshopper was a disciple to Kung Foo. When his training was complete and he was ready to use it, he was perfect.

Luke 6:40 The disciple is not above his master; but every one that is perfect (set to rights)shall be as his master.

Note: The synonymous words for PERFECT "adj. and verb): katartizo
to arrange or set in order, adjust, &c. It occurs thirteen times, and is rendered "mend" Matt 4:21, Mark 1:19; "prepare" Heb. 10:5;"frame" Heb 11:3, "restore" Gal 6:1. "make perfect" Heb 13:21, 1 Pet 5:10. All the texts read "will perfect" "perfected" Matt 21:16. 1 Thes 3:10, ;"fit" Rm 9:22. Passive "be perfect" Luke 6:40, 2 Cor 13:11; "be perfectly joined together" 1 Cor 1:10

How's that for a perfect answer? rivit

To become perfect we must be a Serious Disciple.
Going to church, sitting in a pew, carrying a bible, shaking a lot of hands and being nice, does not make one a disciple or perfect. We disciples are brothers and sisters in Christ.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

This is the only perfect that I can figure out. A clean conscience when you know that everything is under the blood between you and your maker. That is the only perfect I can figure out.

Paul killed Christians and thought he was doing God's service-- he had a clear conscience in the sense that he believed that he was doing right UNTIL Christ got a hold of him and SHOWED him the sum of what he was! Paul stated throughout his ministry that he was "the chiefest of sinners" BUT Christ had to show him that. We all know the end result of Paul's life under the blood of Christ.

The Holy Spirit is our conviction. Praise God He is the one that is sent to us to "open our eyes" I believe that we can walk with a clean conscience knowing that-- we are (blameless) in God's sight through a clear and clean conscience!

Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and [toward] men.

What praise we owe Christ for this peace of mind!

--------------------

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

I thought this was neat...

Hebrews 10: The Cost of a Clean Conscience

I remember in a Western a gunfighter asking a greedy land baron a simple question, “How much is a clean conscience worth?” You’re driving along and get distracted for a moment. You run the red light and hit the young mother in the cross walk. You freak out and keep driving and now you have killed a person and have taken part in a “hit and run.” So what if you never get caught. Where could you run from your conscience? A tropical beach far away from American law, will that keep her face from your mind? A new life and identity in a far off land, will that keep you from thinking about the orphaned children and the grieving husband? A clean conscience is worth everything and many would give all they had to have a clean conscience.

Jesus gave everything he had not for himself but so that we would have a clean conscience. He went before the Highest Court and offered his life and his blood on our behalf and the price was paid. The warrants out for our arrest and condemnation were revoked. The doors that were closed were opened. We could go home again, we could stand before God again. We could be free of the penalty, of fear, of looking over our shoulders, of the guilt and the punishment of sin. A clean conscience is ours because Jesus gave all for us!

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. (Hebrews 10:19-23)

In Peace,
Pastor J.

--------------------

Clyde Fultz III
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Found in Him:
This conscience thing got the best of me today. And what I mean is that in knowing we cannot be perfect without the blood of Christ triggered the thought of where God's perfect creation went wrong. In the Garden....

Gen 3:22 ¶ And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.

Was this not their conscience becoming defiled for the very first time???????

Your words themself tells us what went wrong. It took the blood of Christ to make us perfect, that is, to see things the way God sees things. We (Adam and Eve), before the eating of that apple, were in perfect harmony with God. But eating the apple, we started to make our own judgment (discernment). We no longer agreed with God in that His discernment (judgment) was absolutely perfect. With our discernment, we basically said that there were other options. The history of man tells us that we were wrong.
Clyde Fultz III
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by bluefrog:
Hey Clyde, glad to see you back.

Hello Bluefrog,
Thank you. I spend alot of time in studying and perhaps 2-3 later, I take a break. Not really that long, but... Anyways....

Perhaps this is a good time for me to introduce myself. Besides the general infomation on my profile, I spend my time here on earth, longing and earning to know the Truth. My life centers around this, both theologically, spiritually and logically. I am sure by now that you all here see that I am a fanatic about proper understanding of words. And sometimes my thoughts are compacted. So at anytime, feel free to ask me what I mean. Btw Found In Him, sorry to use your post this way [Smile]

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

This conscience thing got the best of me today. And what I mean is that in knowing we cannot be perfect without the blood of Christ triggered the thought of where God's perfect creation went wrong. In the Garden....

Gen 3:22 ¶ And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.

Was this not their conscience becoming defiled for the very first time???????

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

Hey Clyde, glad to see you back.
bluefrog
unregistered

Found in Him...Seems we have been here before so the cob webs are less now.

I did find that the interpretation of Perfect from Hebrew and Greek is close to the same. It appears that you used Webster for the English, and shared that. It is very helpful to know what is said properly. Some languages don't even have a word for some things but they try.

Once in a while when reading the scriptures we come across a word like Perfect, which is what God wants us to be, gets us to thinking that we are not capable. (well, some of us) That's when we want to see if Perfect is a proper interpretation. Apparently, thank goodness, it doesn't mean what we usually think of, or something only possible to a few, but even then, Perfect at maybe one thing only.

It has already been said by the one of the dark that we do that to avoid responsibility and twist the facts, but actually it was done to be sure what Perfect means.

Clyde Fultz III
unregistered

Indeed, a conscience walking in no offense, is indeed a soul walking perfectly with the forward Light.
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Also...

Acts 24:16. A simple definition of conscience is that it is a conviction or being conscious of a custom. From a Christian perspective a conscience is all about having God's standard in our heart to guide us in how we conduct ourselves. Our conscience has the highest standard we know. Ideally, this standard aligns with God's standard. God's standard and His purpose for us is to love Him and to provide unmerited favor toward all men in secret and in public. (Acts 24:16, "And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men"). Our conscience is the eye of our soul that continuously looks to God or what we regard as the highest standard in how we conduct our lives.

ACTS 24 BIBLE SCRIPTURE: Acts 24:16, "And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men."

Anybody else have ideas?

--------------------

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Perfect in this verse is the same perfect used throughout the NT:
1) to make perfect, complete
a) to carry through completely, to accomplish, finish, bring to an end
2) to complete (perfect)
a) add what is yet wanting in order to render a thing full
b) to be found perfect
3) to bring to the end (goal) proposed
4) to accomplish
a) bring to a close or fulfilment by eventof the prophecies of the scriptures

Interesting to me are the verses that correlate with this verse --“Be ye perfect, as your Heavenly Father is perfect” ....

Gen 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I [am] the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Lev 19:2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your GodMat 5:48 [am] holy.

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name [was] Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Psa 37:37 Mark the perfect [man], and behold the upright: for the end of [that] man [is] peace.

Luk 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Phl 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

Phl 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but [this] one thing [I do], forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

Phl 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Phl 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

The same Bible that says Be ye perfect also says” “Be ye Holy for I am Holy.” (1 Peter 1:16) We cannot take one or two verses of the bible and have a full understanding of a thing-- we are to rightly divide the word.

I believe this “perfection” has EVERYTHING to do with the conscience of a man....

Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and [toward] men.

Your thoughts?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement