Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » IS, not has!

Author Topic: IS, not has!
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison wrote to Eden
quote:
Well, think incense!
Incense? As in "prayer incense"?

Revelation 8:3
And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

Revelation 8:4
And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

Dat wat ya mean wen ya say, think incense? And why does incense accompany the prayers of the saints?

Because God can hear the prayers of the saints WITHOUT INCENSE, can He not?

Michael Harrison wrote to Eden
quote:
Well, think incense!
Incense? As in "prayer incense"?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Micheal Harrison replied to Betty Louise;
quote:
It would be best for you to pay attention to the testimony and take it to heart rather than stubbornly clinging to your own understanding, and defending your way.
Let's add to that that you have made no effort to understand where the writer is coming from but simply have compared with your own life, and concepts as though they are correct.

In the flesh dwelleth no good thing not even kind words!!!!!

Micheal Harrison also wrote:
quote:
And the flesh cannot be improved.
Under the submission of the Holy Spirit not only can it be improved it can be conquered.

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, think incense!
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Most of the time I trust in Him and He is doing the doing. But sometimes I slips back into my old man, and then I says I'm sorry and then I has peace again.

Eden
"hey, what can I say, I'm an ogre, but at least I'm a saved ogre"

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For instance, I'm now sorry for my sins, and I'm now reading the Bible and I now give some money away and I TRY to be a bit more helpful, but, push comes to shove, I can still be just like PETER when, even after 3 years of being with Jesus, Peter could still "start cursing" and say "I don't know the man":

We are capable of that until, as Paul said, the race is run! At any and every moment we can slip unto being subject to the old man. That however is when we are in transgression, and then we have no peace. And we will have no peace until we repent. But when we repent, if we have discovered the eye of the hurricane, His provision of living above sin, we slip back into the slot, and we are as publicans. For if we are as Pharisees, we did not slip back into the slot of HIS provision, and deceive ourselves. There is a righteous provision, which we can hide in, wherein we are not hypocrites.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Michael Harrison wrote
quote:
I had to learn sharply that self-improvement is both a sin and an impossibility. It came as a considerable shock.
I totally agree. It is probably in the top 3 lies that the devil has promulgated.

Over the years that I have been a Christian, I have become a little sweeter and a little more reined in than I used to be (I used to be pretty far out there).

BUT I HAVE NOT CHANGED MUCH; my change is very marginal (just ask Found in Him, she knows all about it, apparently).

And I think if Christians really would admit it, they are still very similar to the person they have always been, EXCEPT that some of our interests have changed.

For instance, I'm now sorry for my sins, and I'm now reading the Bible and I now give some money away and I TRY to be a bit more helpful, but, push comes to shove, I can still be just like PETER when, even after 3 years of being with Jesus, Peter could still "start cursing" and say "I don't know the man":

Matthew 26:72
And again he {Peter} denied with an oath, I do not know the man.

I think there are way too many Christians who have turned themselves into Pharisees ("Lord, I thank You that I'm not like other men") instead of into publicans ("Lord, have mercy on me a sinner").

love, Eden

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see, diabetes runs in my family. Taking care of my health so I don't get diabetes, seems like a good idea. This is not a sin.

You are obsessed by finding sin where there is no sin. We are living in a flesh body until we die or the rapture. You may like to pretend that you are above sin but you still live in a human body. Stop trying to deny that you are still a human being.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MICHAEL...Due to the power vested in me I pronounce you "Bible Attorney General" on Christian BBS.

Speaking of Attorney Generals those poor border guards stuck in prison for the past two years, according to News Watch, were released today.
Supposed to be on the news tonight. I wish they would put the Attorney General who shafted them in their cells to complete their time. He was a great fact twister and soooo proud of himself.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

It would be best for you to pay attention to the testimony and take it to heart rather than stubbornly clinging to your own understanding, and defending your way. Let's add to that that you have made no effort to understand where the writer is coming from, but simply have compared with your own life, and concepts as though they are correct! (I know you resent this.) This is from the FWIW department.

Self improvement is a sin. To answer your assertion about losing weight, scripture even addresses this, strangely enough:

1Ti 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

Bodily exercise is self improvement. But godliness is profitable unto everything, now and later. Cannot God trim your weight?

But self improvement is something done in the flesh, not in the Spirit. And the flesh you cannot please God. And the flesh cannot be improved. It is under the law of sin. You can change your weight, but you cannot change the sin nature of the flesh.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Self improvement is not a sin. We can lose weight and exercise to make ourselves feel better. This is not a sin. I had to relay on God to help me lose weight and I prayed and He helped me but it also took will power. Self improvement in itself is not a sin. It is when we become so focused on our selves that we are useless to God that it becomes a sin.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to learn sharply that self-improvement is both a sin and an impossibility. It came as a considerable shock.
But though my idea of how God should answer my problem was completely wrong, my sense of inadequacy was good. It sent me to the Bible. And my first discovery came as I read one famous verse in the first letter of John: "God is love."
Suddenly the is stuck out. What dawned on me went something like this: It doesn't say God has love, but God is love. If some body has a thing, it isn't he himself. It's something just attached to him, as if you've got a coat on or something in your pocket. You just have it, and you can share it. But the Bible doesn't say God has love, but God is love.

From "The Key to Everything," by Norman Grubb

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I asked these questions, I discovered that when your ministry is disturbed, it tends also to disturb your personal life. I found myself, as my wife well knew, irritable at home in a way I hadn't been irritable — and critical of others to cover my own failures. As I doubted, asked questions, and searched the Bible for some kind of an answer to my inadequacies, I found some amazing answers. Some of them have shaken me considerably. They have changed my whole viewpoint — and my experience. I can't call them revelations, because they are based on the revelation, witnessed to by the Spirit.

To begin with, my attitude was that God should improve me......

[Bible]

I Could Never Love!

Love, therefore, must not be a thing I can have. Love is exclusively a Person. God is love. Therefore, there is no other pure, self-giving love in the universe beyond Him Himself. Love is exclusively a characteristic of one Person only — and that's not Norman Grubb. That was a deflation for me. For I had thought I could have love imparted to me, channeled into me, and I'd be more loving. But I suddenly found God saying, "You'll never have one iota of love. I am love, and that's the end of it."
Love is a Person; one Person only loving — and that's not me, and that's not you. God is love and, therefore, love is God loving.

That set a new trend of thought going. I began to relate this to my other need of power. And I suddenly found a verse in the first chapter of I Corinthians where it says that Christ is the power of God. Not Christ has the power, but He is the power.....

From "The Key To Everything," by Norman Grubb

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement