Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » From "The Life that Wins."

Author Topic: From "The Life that Wins."
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, I agree with that, but that does not turn Michael Harrison overnight into a second Jesus. Even when the above is realized, just then also begins the lifelong battle between the "Spirit lusting against the flesh" and the "flesh lusting against the Spirit".

Sorry eden, that is absurd! For it is not what scripture says. For scripture says to 'enter HIS rest', wherein the battle between the flesh and the Spirit is NOT A WINNING BATTLE FOR THE FLESH! And there is only 'one' Jesus, so that it could be understood that it is Jesus as Michael, as he rests in Jesus' arms, i.e. Jesus living HIS life because Michael is crucified 'with' HIM, and risen 'by' HIS being in him, from the dead.

!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Michael Harrison, you also wrote that you realized
quote:
“I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me.”
Yes, I agree with that, but that does not turn Michael Harrison overnight into a second Jesus. Even when the above is realized, just then also begins the lifelong battle between the "Spirit lusting against the flesh" and the "flesh lusting against the Spirit".

I think where other members on this bbs get confused with your writing is that you hardly ever include in your writings that "it is an ongoing process to let the Lord be and do what the Lord is and does", and that indeed, NO sinner saved by grace changes overnight into a SECOND JESUS, just as if there were now TWO JESUSes, one in heaven and one walking around in Michael Harrison's body.

Unless I'm wrong of course, so maybe I should ask you, Have MANY people been saying to you that you look and act JUST LIKE JESUS CHRIST? If many have, then in you the Spirit has 100% defeated your flesh, even better than Francis of Assisi.

But if many are not saying to you, "YOU LOOK AND ACT JUST LIKE JESUS CHRIST, then I think if you included more in your writings that the Spirit is STILL warring against your flesh in YOU too, even AFTER realizing that the ultimate would be and is: It is no longer I who live, but Christ in me."

Paul was good at "getting out of the way" after his conversion by Damascus, and Peter and John were good at "getting out of the way" after Jesus's ascension, so are you saying that Michael Harrison is "at least as good by now at getting out of the way" as those 3 fellows were?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, Michael Harrison, I continued reading the rest of your Topic and you also said this
quote:
My body was His, my mind His, my will His, my spirit His
Now you say that "your will is His" but in the paragraph before this quote you said that even after your realization that Jesus was also IN you, you found that you STILL HAD A FREE WILL. So how can you now say:
quote:
My body was His, my mind His, my will His, my spirit His
when you said that you still had a FREE WILL just prior to that? Please explain that to me.

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Hi, Michael Harrison, I have mentioned to you before that when you write in the "I" and "me" and "my" form, it is more easily received by others than if you write in the "You" and "your" form (trying to tell "others what to do").

Anyway, you wrote
quote:
What I mean is this: I had always known that Christ was my Savior; but I had looked upon Him as an external Savior, one who did a saving work for me from outside, as it were; one who was ready to come close alongside and stay by me, helping me in all that I needed, giving me power and strength and salvation.
Let me stop you here for a moment. But you have to admit that even "just" having the Lord Jesus "alongside helping me in all I need" is just about as good, if not AS good, as when Jesus Himself was in us to "come close alongside and help me".

But, to continue, you said
quote:
But now I knew something better than that. At last I realized that Jesus Christ was actually and literally within me; and even more than that: that He had constituted Himself my very life, taking me into union with Himself—my body, mind, and spirit—while I still had my own identity and free will and full moral responsibility.
Okay, so now you realized that you also had Jesus Christ inside of you (thru the Holy Spirit I suppose since Jesus Himself is seated in heaven), but then you finished the above with:
quote:
"while I still had my own identity and free will and full moral responsibility".
Okay. If Jesus was now in you and apparently "doing all the acting in you that you formerly did", what then is the purpose of you still having your own identity and free will and full moral responsibility? What are you supposed to do with this full moral responsibility and free will that you still had at your disposal? Nothing, or what?

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus is Savior AND Lord... We need to let Him be Lord don't we?

Lord over our minds, Hearts and lives.

Thanks for the post!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next morning, Sunday, alone in my room, I prayed it out with God, as I asked Him to show me the way out. If there was a conception of Christ that I did not have, and that I needed because it was the secret of some of these other lives I had seen or heard of, a conception better than any I had yet had, and beyond me, I asked God to give it to me. I had with me the sermon I had heard, “To me to live is Christ,” and I rose from my knees and studied it. Then I prayed again. And God, in His long-suffering patience, forgiveness, and love, gave me what I asked for. He gave me a new Christ—wholly new in the conception and consciousness of Christ that now became mine.

Wherein was the change? It is hard to put it into words, and yet it is, oh, so new, and real, and wonderful, and miracle-working in both my own life and the lives of others.

To begin with, I realized for the first time that the many references throughout the New Testament to Christ in you, and you in Christ, Christ our life, and abiding in Christ, are literal, actual, blessed fact, and not figures of speech. How the 15th chapter of John thrilled with new life as I read it now! And the 3rd of Ephesians, 14 to 21. And Galatians 2:20. And Philippians 1:21.

What I mean is this: I had always known that Christ was my Saviour; but I had looked upon Him as an external Saviour, one who did a saving work for me from outside, as it were; one who was ready to come close alongside and stay by me, helping me in all that I needed, giving me power and strength and salvation. But now I knew something better than that. At last I realized that Jesus Christ was actually and literally within me; and even more than that: that He had constituted Himself my very life, taking me into union with Himself—my body, mind, and spirit—while I still had my own identity and free will and full moral responsibility. Was not this better than having Him as a helper, or even than having Him as an external Saviour: to have Him, Jesus Christ, God the Son, as my own very life? It meant that I need never again ask Him to help me as though He were one and I another; but rather simply to do His work, His will, in me, and with me, and through me. My body was His, my mind His, my will His, my spirit His; and not merely His, but literally a part of Him; what He asked me to recognize was, “I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me.” Jesus Christ had constituted himself my life—not as a figure of speech, remember, but as a literal, actual fact, as literal as the fact that a certain tree has been made into this desk on which my hand rests. For “your bodies are members of Christ”; and “ye are the body of Christ.”

Do you wonder that Paul could say with tingling joy and exultation, “To me to live is Christ”? He did not say, as I had mistakenly been supposing I must say, “To me to live is to be Christlike, “ nor, “To me to live is to have Christ’s help,” nor, “To me to live is to serve Christ.” No; he plunged through and beyond all that in the bold, glorious, mysterious claim. “To me to live is Christ.” I had never understood that verse before. Now, thanks to His gift of Himself, I am beginning to enter into a glimpse of its wonderful meaning. And that is how I know for myself that there is a life that wins: that it is the life of Jesus Christ, and that it may be our life for the asking, if we let Him—in absolute, unconditional surrender of ourselves to Him, our wills to His will, making Him the Master of our lives as well as our Saviour—enter in, occupy us, overwhelm us with Himself, yea, fill us with Himself “unto all the fullness of God.”

From "The Life That Wins," Charles Trumbull

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement