Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Christ Brought Division?

Author Topic: Christ Brought Division?
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michael,
I feel that way because she left right after our discussion got real heated up......and she never came back. I believe that if I wasnt so quick to say some of the things I did, and I would have gone to her in private to resolve our issues that it may have worked out between us.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't feel like you are being fair to yourself oneinchrist. There could be many reasons why Carol left. Why would you take it personally?
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing that Daniel. I myself have also done the same-- we are not perfect, the realness is, we get back up and try again.

It is important to admit it like what we are doing.

When I was a young christian, I was pushed away by "pharisees" in the church when I was carrying a very heavy burden of persecution. Quite honestly, their unwillingness to recognize suffering for nothing less than following Jesus --devastated me.

I need to remember that devastation in my walk with Him and in fellowship with brothers and sisters in The Lord in remembrence of how not to conduct myself.

I will pray for her too Daniel. God is able.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that correction is better than no correction at all--
but I also believe that private correction is better then public correction(especially when singling out one person)

The opinion/rebuke/correction then is much more likely to be respected.

I think Carol Swenson left this site because of my previous lack of discretion/self-control concerning this very issue. I should have privately discussed my reason for being upset with her instead of making her a spectacle in front of everyone. I hope she does come back one day and we can reconcile.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Genesis to Revelation, a major theme of the Bible is correction. This is because God loves us and desires to lead us from death and judgment into the eternal and abundant life available in Christ. Referring to the Old Testament accounts of the history of Israel, Paul declared, “They are written for our admonition” (1 Cor 10:11).

John the Baptist preached repentance and correction, and so did Christ. Much of what our Lord said was in the nature of reproof aimed di­rectly at the religious leaders, but showing also the typical Jew of His day. It is dishonest to focus only upon what one considers to be the positive aspects of Christ’s ministry and to fail to take to heart and apply in our lives and churches the correction He brought.

Christ did not hesitate to call the religious leaders “hypocrites” and “whited sepulchres” and “blind leaders of the blind,” and His own disciples “fools and slow of heart.” He had obviously did not come and focus only on how to Win Friends and Influence People, and did not consider being positive the only, or even the best, way to present truth!

The pastors, evangelists, and preachers who fail to press upon themselves and their audiences the corrective teaching of Christ because they don’t want to be negative are not only ignor­ing the example He set but are repeating the very sin for which He rebuked the religious leaders of His day.

Much of the New Testament was written to correct error that had already crept into the church in the first century. The epistles of Paul, Peter, James, John, and Jude embody the major corrective doctrines of the church, which of course are still valid today. Lead­ers in the early church were expected to be involved in an ongoing corrective ministry. Unfortunately, many of today’s most popular church leaders seem astonishingly unwilling either to judge the teaching of other lead­ing Christians or to accept any correction themselves.

Division or Correction?
It is claimed by some that openly questioning or correcting the doctrinal teachings of church leaders is divisive, as though all divi­sion were bad and to be avoided. Yet Christ declared that He came to bring division (Lk 12:51), and it followed His ministry wherever He went (Jn 7:43; 9:16; 10:19; etc.). The divi­sion He brought was essential: it separated between truth and error, between light and darkness.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement