Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Give to him who asks you

Author Topic: Give to him who asks you
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB...I almost used your line...Stop the silliness.

Maybe I should use the line...I'll Stop throwing pearls.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He will figure it out when there are MORE people with signs and tin cans on the side of the road.

17 % will not be able to carry the 83% very long.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

this is going nowhere
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluefrog wrote
quote:
You are as wrong as they guy in a Mall shopping center parking lot hitting people up for money to buy gas. And another, and another.

You are as wrong as they guy who used to live in a house here in town hitting up all the churches in town for gas, heating gas, food, electric, water, garbage pick up. Then he would have a beer bust in his back yard. His home was repossessed and he kept getting fired for stealing from the ones he worked for and he owed everyone where he worked. You want to give to those kind?

God will sort it out for me either with His reward or His revenge for each person who asks me. And I can tell you for sure that whatever the guy's problem is, I'm thankful that I have been blessed enough not to have that or similar problems.

Psalm 18:25
With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful ...

Matthew 5:7
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Do you want to be blessed? Then be merciful.

Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

You are still wrong eden.

You are as wrong as they guy in a Mall shopping center parking lot hitting people up for money to buy gas. And another, and another.

You are as wrong as they guy who used to live in a house here in town hitting up all the churches in town for gas, heating gas, food, electric, water, garbage pick up. then he would have a beer bust in his back yard. His home was repossessed and he kept getting fired for stealing from the ones he worked for and he owed everyone where he worked. You want to give to those kind?

Look around you. The sorry bums are addicted to give away programs. Why did Obama get elected? Give away programs. Those who have eyes.......

If you want to give to everyone, say even the pagan groups and Satanists, or whoever you could probably make a big hit if you visited the prisons because they are there not by choosing.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
The Bible says over and over: Give to the poor. Period. If someone is having psychological problems so they end up looking disheveled, etc., THEY ARE POOR, no matter what got them there. Would you want to be him or her? I don't think so. The poor is the poor. Period.

Eden

When in a insane society the sane must appear insane to get the hand out.

Frog is right Bible says you cant sweep a floor dont eat.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

The Bible says over and over: Give to the poor. Period. If someone is having psychological problems so they end up looking disheveled, etc., THEY ARE POOR, no matter what got them there. Would you want to be him or her? I don't think so. The poor is the poor. Period.

Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

eden...that is not what Jesus said.

He said you don't work you don't eat.

He said you are to care for your self and your family if able.

He also said you need to read his Word.

He also said not to hang around with sinners and spokesmen for Satan.

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
Now, we need to be careful unless you don't care if it is a bum too lazy to work or someone on drugs lookin for a fix, etc.
I don't care. If they ask, they receive; that is what Jesus said. Just be thankful that YOU are not a "bum too lazy to work", okay?

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...Subj: Give to him who asks you.

The Word is the same yesterday as it is today, but long ago I suspect that it was easier to detect who was in need and who wasn't.

Now, we need to be careful unless you don't care if it is a bum too lazy to work or someone on drugs lookin for a fix, etc.

I give pleanty to the poor and needy and so does our church but we choose to give under control.
Unfortunately, I think we are now loosing control. We were outvoted.

Eden
unregistered

Deuteronomy 15:11
For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command you, saying, You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor, and to your needy, in your land.

So when Jesus says, "Give to him who asks you", is it then okay to NOT give to him who asked me?

Will the Lord not bless me with more than I had if I am willing to give to whoever asks me, because He said so? Usually they don't ask for more than a dollar?

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives unto the poor shall not lack: but he who hides his eyes shall have many a curse.

Job 24:4
Yes, they turn the needy out of the way: the poor of the earth hide themselves together.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Mark todays date down on your calander.

Talk about "Give to him who ask you"!!!!!!!

Today is the opening day for the biggest boondogle of All Times.

Like it or not We are now signed up to GIVE !

And so are our kids, grand kids, great grand kids...........

How much ? Look at it this way..if you spent one million dollars a day since the birth of Christ until now you would still have about 700 more years to go. They told that today on the news...at least somethin like that, I didn't take notes. Close enough for me anyway.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once upon a time I was friends with a girl down at the school of linguistics. We were out somewhere eating when another girl came up to us to ask for money. She gave me a religious pamphlet. I gave her some money. Aftwards my girl 'friend' took the pamphlet and illustrated to me by the drawings how that the spirit behind them was counterfeit, by pointing out details about the artwork. It was easy to see, having been pointed out. And I thought the girl who was begging had a sincere story line.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

The bible has several things to say about Giving, all of which I will not speak of here.

Our Lord tells us that if a person doesn't work they don't eat. It also tells us that there poor and unfortunate who need help. He tells us that we should consider loans as potential gifts.

Churches are places where many people go to for help. Some need it and some don't. If the person who they contact is convincing about their need and not just being a bum or lazy, they usually get help, which is the nature of a church. Ususlly it is handled properly, not like the government handles our money. They only give cash when only cash will do and usually go with the person to spend it.

Some scripture: Proverbs 6:1,11:15,22:7, 27:13.

Us as individuals realize that some of our money given to the church is used for such activity.
Our mail boxes are loaded with requests for money for all sorts of causes. If you respond to these you mail box will become popular very soon and many trees will have to pay for that.
Giving to someone who asks you can result in physical and spiritual increase.

Giving to IRS when they ask you keeps you out of jail.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty wrote....but when I feel that God is leading me to give money, I do.

Same here Betty, We have to be led I do believe. God Knows where the money will be spent.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless I feel in my spirit that I should give money, I usually do not. I am more apt to give food instead. We are on a fixed income and I believe we should be good stewards of our money, but when I feel that God is leading me to give money, I do.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Getting back on Topic, Give to him who asks you, when someone asks you for money on the street or for a ride, do you give something to them, or how do you feel about that, after the Lord said, "Give to him who asks you"?

love, Eden

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cross]
Leads! Approves! Bears witness to His will. If we know Him (and not just about Him), His peace is tangable. Our decisions are guided by this. If we have not peace, we recognize the spirit of error. We know our decision is of the WFD, not HIS Spirit.
[Prayer]

Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
Joh 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: [and] because I live, ye shall live also.
Joh 14:20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Joh 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

If our choice is incorrect, it is transgression. There is no peace in it. If our choice is correct, peace comes with it. Or, the Spirit may be leading us somewhere. In that case, 'peace' comes with the leading.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

MICHAEL..What does it mean when you say: The Peace of God legislates?
Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
EDEN..Have you never TESTED the Peace of God?
No, I have never TESTED the peace of God. But I have TASTED the peace of God and am TASTING that peace right now as I listen to a Christian CD while I am typing on a Christian forum. What is NOT to like? [BooHoo]

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN..Have you never tested the Peace of God?
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that the "Peace of God" legislates. Perhaps ye can put it to the test and see if you find that to be true too.

EDEN:
quote:
At least, that is how I see it. It's believe God CAN do it and WILL do it, and then it's TRUST that God IS doing it.

Stunning!
bluefrog
unregistered

Good answer it seems to me.

Seems like it would take a while to get where I was going if I had to stop each step and wait for God to move me to the next.

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote to Michael Harrison
quote:

Are you saying that with God in Control, we should call on Him for every step we take?

No, we do not CALL on Him for every step we take. After we have said, "Okay God You guide my steps", then we TRUST, like a child, that every step we take next was just directed to us by the Holy Spirit which is in us."

At least, that is how I see it. It's "believe that God CAN do it and WILL do it, and then it's TRUST that God IS doing it.

Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Please explain.
Are you saying that with God in Control, we should call on Him for every step we take?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And let me add to my last post to say:

The only way not to transgress is to let God be in control, and measure every step determining whether we take it out of His hands. That is called 'walking'!

bluefrog
unregistered

As a sideline comment...Let's not put the flesh as we call it, in the trash. It again, is a figure of speech.

If our flesh is so bad then why do we spend so much money on insurance, doctors, hospitals, etc. We also like for it to look well with cosmetics, clothing, teeth, blah blah.

I think of my body/soul as an earth suite. If I am gonna get around here I need it and need to take care of it. For someone to come along not knowing our lingo and hear us say things like how bad our flesh is, etc. they may think we are saying get rid of it, now. Us frogs like ours too. rivit

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way not to transgress is to let God be in control, and measure every step determining whether we take it out of His hands. It is called, "Thy will be done on earth." (To God be the Glory!)
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

And here is why it says, "LABOR, to enter rest." We labor to let God be in control, that we might not transgress. It is the Spirit 'lusting' against the flesh; that the flesh which would have us do contrary to the will of God, not have the upper hand to cause us to be in sin.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Nice piece eden. Still.... Think ye do not commit murder? Jesus said if one looks on a woman to 'lust' after her, in his heart he has committed adultry by conceptualizing it. We also find that if one 'hateth' his brother, whom he hath seen, he is the same as a murderer! When we look into our heart to see if we 'love' our brother or sister, we know right away! We cannot deceive ourselves. Therefore, if we discover that we do not, we are in transgression of the Ten Commandments. However, Jesus is our provision that we not be guilty of such. If we let HIM determine everything, we do not have to be in transgression because we are trusting Him to be, and trusting at the same time that HE knows what he is doing. Therefore, whomever we would hate in the flesh, we have to recognize Jesus is Lord over (whether that person realizes it or not), and we trust he is where God wants him. So we would not dare criticize God for not knowing what HE is doing. If God IS in control, that person is where HE wants him to be. And one has to be careful not to overstep the Lord in directing that one, as in controlling. However preaching is acceptable.

Thou shalt not steal. It is said that if we break one, we break them all. If we 'covet', we are in effect stealing in God's view, by desiring in our very heart what is not ours. Covetiousness leads to every sin. It is stealing. It is the transgression that leads to every transgression.

If we 'love the Lord Thy God, with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, we are accepting His provision, and letting Him do it all. That is the only way we can be safe in Him from sinning. If "All our need is met," we need not covet. HE is our provision.
Php 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Satan transgressed by desiring to have what was not his. Moreover, he was lifted in pride as though he accomplished it. Pride, according to scripture was the original sin.

Eden
unregistered

If it is a matter of exercising the will, then I think if we at least make an effort to obey the 10 commandments that Moses brought down from the finger of God, it will already make a big difference.

But, if it is NOT a matter of the will, and more a matter of me "ceasing from my own works and letting God do my thinking for me instead", then, instaqd of will effort, what I need to do is "get out of the way" and let Jesus do the thinking for me from heaven and convey His thoughts on what to do next to me thru the Holy Spirit.

And since the resurrected Jesus and the Holy Spirit are "very into keeping the 10 commandments which Moses brought down from the mount", we will easily be keeping the 10 commandments, provided that we do what Jesus suggested to do.

Still, even with will effort we as Christians can probably do a better job of keeping the 10 commandments than we used to BEFORE we were saved. It's not that hard to do those 10. But some of the surmon on the mount ones I think only Jesus can do.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Our Father in Heaven has directed us to do many things. In those directions I read of no Season or Month or Day, it just says DO IT !

For example: He tells us to be perfect, to pray to Him constantly, to have no idols, don't blasphem like curse His name, observe the Sabbath, honor father and mother, don't murder, no adultry even lusting for it, don't steal anything small or large, don't gossip, and don't covet anything.

The above is our Starter Kit, don't ya know. But then He tells us that if we say we don't break these rules we make God a liar. Well, maybe some get lucky and break the rules when God isn't lookin, huh ? hehehe

About all we can do is try hard to follow Him and glorify Him but I ask you,...please don't look too close. [Cool]

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

I will submit that that the passage 'illustrates' what kind of person our God is. That is what it is about. This is further illustrated by the references to 'walking the extra mile', and 'giving your cloak also'. And it is not wrong to do these on a personal level, if we get to the bottom line. However, it may not be wisdom (wise) to do so necessarily, in every circumstance. If that were the case we should then obey every precept in the Bible all at once. But we read rather (in the OT) that "To everything there is a season." God gives us wisdom to know what HE is doing. And when we follow through, HE blesses.
bluefrog
unregistered

Subject: Give to him who asks you.

Yes, I have been hearing about this on TV news day and night. So much that I have turned away from doing it as much as in the past.

I would continue on this subject but my wife has taken my soap box and hid it. Woe is me.

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog, I agree with your last two posts.

be blessed, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN..Well, I could be wrong but it seems to me that the idea is to accept the fact that anything we own can disappear any time or waste away. Of all things we did, do, or will own is of no value compared to what we can put away in heaven. If necessary to give up our possessions for the Lord we need to be more than willing, and that includes our life.
bluefrog
unregistered

I used to be a great salesperson, no brag just fact. But, I can't imagine a sales job harder than magazines.

I loved sales. If I had a good product and believed in it the commissions just rolled in.

The more I put in the plate, the more I sold.
If I wanted to break company records I just put more money in the plate. Maybe you shoulda put a bundle in the plate and then run out and peddle magazines. hehe

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote to Eden
quote:
don't have much that anyone else would want or pay for so I place my alms in the plate and store it up that way.

Do swap meets count?

What counts is if you are selling stuff SO THAT YOU CAN GIVE AWAY THE PROCEEDS, and I think few USA Christians are doing that, including me. I give money away almost every day, but I'm not exactly "selling my stuff so that I can give away all the proceeds". If anything, I'm still "accumulating" more stuff, aren't you?

like, Eden

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a horrible salesperson. When I took Creative Writing class, I was suppose to sell the magazines we put together. I ended up giving most of mine away.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

I don't have much that anyone else would want or pay for so I place my alms in the plate and store it up that way.

Do swap meets count ?

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
Luke 12:33 Sell that you have and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that fails not where no thief approaches, neither moth corrupts.
So are you selling anything?

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Luke 12:33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that falleth not where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

LUKE 12;34 FOR WHERE YOUR TREASURE IS, THERE WILL YOU HEART BE ALSO.

Eden
unregistered

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely you have received, freely give.

So it ain't about THE MONEY??? [happyhappy]

Luke 12:34
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thinking question!

I immediately think of what Peter said to the beggar at the gate-- Silver and gold I do not have-- but what I do have I give to you.

I think the most valuable substance we possess as a Christian is to be given from what we hold in our hearts—the saving knowledge of Jesus.

As far as earthy goods or possessions-- We only possess what has been given to us-- it all belongs to God. It is not ours and that's how I view what I have. If we see a need or someone asks-- by all means. By the means I have-- I give.

But especially in this day and age I believe giving money calls for wisdom-- we certainly do not want to give money to a person that has a drug problem and assist him with his addiction.

I believe it calls for wisdom and the leadership of The Holy Spirit. As He leads-- God will get all glory.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Matthew 5:42
Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you turn not yourself away.

When I go jogging, I usually carry about 5 one-dollar bills with me to give away. But on some days I say, "Today is free", and I don't give anybody anything.

But let me ask you, DO you give to him who asks you, or do you first MAKE AN ASSESSMENT of the condition of that person, and then maybe NOT give him what he asked for?

What are we Christians to think of the above scripture?

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement