Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Be thou perfect!

Author Topic: Be thou perfect!
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friends, God gave us a mirror to peer into in his written word. ( this is Gods truth ) 1 John 3 explains Gods view of who is actually who to him. He said that-- it is impossible for a child of Gods to practice even 1 sin. On the other hand are the children of the devil, the ones God feels that are wicked= practicers of just 1 sin. i am confident that only the children of God will recieve grace and salvation. Jesus also remarks on this matter speaking to the ones who claim to be christian ( probably at judgement day ) Matthew 7, 21-23 He says-- Get away from me you workers of iniquities or lawlessness. which equals practicer of sin. Even though out of a great love for Jesus they did powerful works in his name. No wonder-- the road is narrow, few will find it. Also someone mentioned works- James pointed out that-- Faith without works is dead. Which means- By doing works one builds a good living faith, one that will endure till the end. without works, James is telling us that our faith would be worth a can of dead worms when it counts. Hope i helped.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
For sure copper. Indeed, what Paul was saying when he said, "I consider it 'dung' that I may win Christ," was that he turned loose of it all to pursue Jesus, i.e. to seek His face. And that is what we are called to do! One cannot go wrong in doing so. But how few understand how important it is, and they show HIM their ast, instead of their face (It is what HE said of them in one of those Old Testament passages).

They don't see themselves that way though. They go to church on Sunday, and sing songs and praise, and think that accomplishes something towards making Him smile. But HE is heartbroken still. So therein they do not 'minister' to Him, for He would be rejoicing if they would discover HIS provision.

Anyway, I have to say this about what you are saying, that it is easier still, than spending hours a day praying, even though that is a good thing. Even that 'work' or 'good deed' isn't enough to merit the inexpressable blessing of the Lord. You just have to want Jesus above all else.

O how sad it is when people think that just by going to church, that they are a Christian pleasing God and abiding in the Lord, but I say that without obedience, one's faith is dead, lukewarm, and hypocritical because they call themselves who they are not claiming to be through their actions and as it is written Job 13:16) "an hypocrite shall not come before him." meaning that those living not what they are claiming, Christianity, shall not see His salvation, the salvation of the Lord!

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For sure copper. Indeed, what Paul was saying when he said, "I consider it 'dung' that I may win Christ," was that he turned loose of it all to pursue Jesus, i.e. to seek His face. And that is what we are called to do! One cannot go wrong in doing so. But how few understand how important it is, and they show HIM their ast, instead of their face (It is what HE said of them in one of those Old Testament passages).

They don't see themselves that way though. They go to church on Sunday, and sing songs and praise, and think that accomplishes something towards making Him smile. But HE is heartbroken still. So therein they do not 'minister' to Him, for He would be rejoicing if they would discover HIS provision.

Anyway, I have to say this about what you are saying, that it is easier still, than spending hours a day praying, even though that is a good thing. Even that 'work' or 'good deed' isn't enough to merit the inexpressable blessing of the Lord. You just have to want Jesus above all else.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
Jesus said, "Be ye perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Jesus said this! And here it is:

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

He said, "Be ye therefore 'perfect'....

even as your,

Heavenly Father...

...is perfect!

AS your heavenly Father! He said it - Jesus did. He also said:

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Does HE ask you to be anything you cannot? Or will you not?

It is possible to virtually wipe out the presumptuous sin out of one's life, the question is, how badly do they want it. If one spends five minutes in prayer a Day leaning to God, this scenario will not be likely to happen, but if one leans to God for hours a day in prayer, the results are powerful. Think about it, the more we lean to God the more effectively we can live our lives as Christians.

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus said, "Be ye perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Jesus said this! And here it is:

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

He said, "Be ye therefore 'perfect'....

even as your,

Heavenly Father...

...is perfect!

AS your heavenly Father! He said it - Jesus did. He also said:

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

They both can't be right unless the first one is possible. Then they can be. Else scripture is errant. And assuming it is possible, we might add that it doesn't mean that other men will see you that way. But what is important is that your HEAVENLY FATHER, see you that way.

But HE who said it, is the one who 'does' it. You can do nothing on your own. You just can't do it. But HE said 'BE'. And HE is also the one who said, "Let there be light," and there was. Are you getting this yet? And here is another clue. It is written:

Php 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Who began it? Who will perform it? Did he say for you to? If you could, then you could glory. And scripture says (cut and paste)

1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Also, it is written:
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Not of works means that it is foolish for us to try. But scripture says, "BE." Now some translations would have us to believe that the word 'perfect' means mature. But are we to be 'mature' as our Heavenly Father is mature? Is HE mature? Or is HE perfect?

Jesus said, "Be ye perfect!" What HE says, HE DOES! So then, what is your excuse, remembering that, "His yoke is easy, and His burden is light?"

Does HE ask you to be anything you cannot? Or will you not?

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement