Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Serpent of Genesis 3-Part 2

Author Topic: The Serpent of Genesis 3-Part 2
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been suggested that I am mistaken, and that the Satan who addressed Eve was actually a snake. I suggest that the use of serpent is a figure of speech, like we are called sheep, etc.

To help my claim I suggest reading Psalms 44:25 For our soul is bowed down to the dust; Our belly cleaveth unto the earth. I suggest that these are figures of speech.
also,
Gen 3:14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, "Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life.
Question: If Satan was already an actual snake or serpent why is he saying he is going to make him as one after he already is? Also, if he was already a snake why now say he is going to make him eat dust as if it was a new thing, which by the way are both figures of speech anyway?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

MICHAEL...now I know how you felt when no one responded to your script the other day. I put a good deal of work into this one but no one interested. Is this where I talk to myself ? [youpi]

Maybe it's just me. [Roll Eyes]

bluefrog
unregistered

Other figures of speech are used in verses 14 and 15 of Chapter 3 in Genesis, but only for the same purpose of emphasising the truth and reality of what is said.

V 14 And the Lord God said, unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shall thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life;
v 15 And I will put enmnity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; "It shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel."

This does not mean to bruise His literal heel of flesh and blood but suffering, more temporary in character. When it says It shall bruise thy head, it means more than a skull of bone, and brain and hair. It means satans plans and plots, policy and purposes, will one day finally be crushed and ended, never more to hinder the purpose of God.

Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen

This is not literal feet but something much more real.

The bruising of Christ's heel is an eloquent and impressive way of fortelling the most solemn events; this shows that satan's effort to evade his doom, then threatened, whoud become the means of insuring its accomplishment. It was through the death of Christ that he who had the power of death would be destroyed. All his power and policy brought to an end, and all works destroyed.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.

Rev. 20:1-3, 10 v1And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. 2) And he laid hold on the dragon, the old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years. (Millennium) 3)And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, and he should deceive the nations no more, til the thousand years should be fulfilled; and after that he must be loosed a little season. (In order to temper and test) 10) And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Also, in v 14 the figure of speech (Moses was on a Figure of Speech roll here) On thy belly shall thou go, This paints in our minds a picture of ultimate humiliation. Prostration has always meant subjection. Ps 44:25 For our soul is bowed down to the dust; Our belly cleaveth unto the earth. (Howwww lowww can ya Gooooo?) In other prophecy Dust shall thou eat, is saying continuous disappointment, failure, n' stuff.

If a serpent was afterward called a nachash, it was because it was more shining than any other creature; and if called wise it wasn't because of innate knowledge, but because of being wise enough to hide away from all observations and associations, such as Satan (that old serpent)
(the snake) who beguiled Eve. Whoever believes satan can make a snake talk, raise your hand. [Smile]
The apple was an invention, the serpent was a figure of speech. Satan loves it.

Note: every time I spell satan with a lower case s my Spell Check goes nuts.. hehe

Gen 3 is intended to teach a history that satan's sphere of activities is in the religious sphere, and not the sphere of crime and immorality; that his battlefield is not the sins arising from human depravity, but the Unbelief of the human heart. We are not to look for satan's activities in courtrooms, newspapers, TV news but in the pulpit and professors chairs. Wherever the Word of God is called in question, there we see the trail of that old serpent. This is why anything against the true interests of the word of God finds itself in the news and courts. This is why anything in fovor of its inspiration and Devine origin and its spiritual truth is rigidly excluded as being Controversial.

Here is one satan would like you to know: Pa 91:11 For He shall give His angels charge over thee, To keep thee in all thy ways. Now, how does that grab ya? Want a lil hug from Top Dog Angel or his buddies on the same side of the isle?

The apple and the snake just perpetuate the traditions because it ministers to the acceptance of his lie, the hiding of God's truth, the support of tradition, the jeers in the infield, and the stumbling of the weak in faith.

I would never make a scribe but here is what a present day write of verses 14 and 15 could be:

14)The Lord God said to Satan, Because you have done this I curse you even over the cattle and beasts of the field. Your punishment is humiliation, such as one on his face in the dirt, in utter defeat until you die.
15)And I will also put mutual hatred between you and your human enemy, the woman. There will be a spiritual barrier between your people and My people. The woman's representative, known as Jesus Christ will put you to death. Prior to that, in the process He will be placed on the cross with torture and nails.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement