Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Author Topic: NEW YEARS RESOLUTION
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all resolutions are for the good. My bride has decided to not let the house get any dirt in it ever again. She got her start a few days ago with some new furniture. Now myself and our pets must walk on air and not breath. We are waiting for her to insist we all eat outside or not at all. I can inhale in the house but must go outside to exhale. Woe is me.

Jesus, I hope you are getting a laugh outa this. LOL

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this much is possibly for sure! Not as many people will be making home improvments in 2009!
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all of ya. The calander we are going by, this being January 1, 2009 is one that we can hope for improvements in the next 365 days.

Not much has changed from one calander year to the next when it come to my making resolutions. Every day when I wake up I thank God for another day in a whole new world and we talk about what we are going to change to make it better.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a Preacher say that the reason God gave us day and night was not just for sleep, but when we wake, we wake up to a new day, a new beginning.
A new year brings hope for change. Today we cannot change one thing about the year 2008, it is over.
2009 is a new slate. We do not have to make the same bad choices we made last year. We can choose to be more loving to others. We can choose to spend more time in God's Word. We can choose to be a blessing to others.
We say Happy New Year because we realize a new year brings hope. A hope for change not just in things around us but personal change.
Like most people I have a resolution to lose a little weight, but like Barry says we also need resolutions to add things to our life not just physical things but to add more prayer time, more studying of the Word, and more time caring for others.
We can say Happy New Year as we wish those on the board but those we see personally a new beginning in their physical and spiritual lives.

May 2009 be the year that you shine for God.
love [hug]
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also remember that new years is according to the world's calendar (under the rule of satan)

Yahweh's calendar (which most of christianity rejects) has the new year beginning at a totally different season.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daily Meditation
"A high-tech way to deliver a message that will withstand the ravages of time ."

Christian New Year’s Resolutions

1 Tim 6:6-8 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

I want to address a question today: "What sort of New Year’s Resolutions should a Christian make?"

Answer: The practice of making New Year’s resolutions goes back over 3000 years to the ancient Babylonians, so don’t expect a short answer to the above question! There seems to have always been something about the start of a New Year, which gives us the feeling of a fresh start, and a new beginning.

Notwithstanding, the truth is that there’s no difference between December 31st, and January 1st. There’s absolutely nothing mystical which occurs at midnight on December 31st. And God’s Word doesn’t say anything for, or against, the concept of New Year’s resolutions. Nevertheless, the question remains, "What sort of New Year’s Resolution should a Christian make?"

You’ve heard the list of New Year’s resolutions; "I’m going to quit smoking"; "I’m going to eat healthier foods"; "I’m going to lose weight"; "I’m going to exercise more"; and the list goes on - and on!

Now, there isn’t anything wrong with any of the above, however, God’s Word instructs you to keep these things in perspective. It reads, "For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come."(1 Tim 4:8)

To make a New Year’s resolution, "I’m going to spend more time with my family," is admirable, and a great resolution, however, the vast majority of New Year’s resolutions, even among Christians, are in relation to physical things, and this should not be the case!

Many Christians make New Year’s resolutions to pray more, to read God’s Word every day, and to attend church more regularly. These are fantastic goals. Nonetheless, these New Year’s resolutions fail, just as often, as the non-spiritual resolutions, because there is no power in a New Year’s resolution.

Making up one’s mind to start, or stop, doing a certain activity, has little or no value, unless you have the proper motivation for stopping or starting that activity. As an example, I’m going to ask you a question: "Why do you want to read the Bible every day?" Is it to honor God, and grow spiritually, or is it because you’ve heard that it’s a good thing to do?

"Why do you want to lose weight?" Is it to honor God with your body, or is it for vanity, and you want to honor yourself? Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with looking good, but why do you want to look good?

OK, I’m going to give you what I believe is the secret, and necessary ingredients to success in any New Year’s resolution:

1. Jesus said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."(John 15:5) Paraphrased: "Without Jesus, your New Year’s resolution is a bust!"

2. A second part of the secrets to a successful New Year’s resolution is, "[You] can do all things through Christ who strengthens [you]."(Phil 4:13) When you tackle that New Year’s resolution, using Jesus’ strength, not yours, it’s a win-win situation!

My friend, if God is the center of your New Year’s resolution, it has a whole lot better chance for success, of course, depending on your commitment to it. If it’s God’s will for something to be successful, He will enable you to be successful. Conversely, if your resolution doesn’t honor God, or isn’t in agreement with His Word, you’re on your own, and you won’t receive any help whatsoever from God. In plain language: "You’re doomed to failure!"

So, what sort of New Year’s resolution should you make? Here’s a few suggestions:

1. Wisdom: "If [you lack wisdom, ask] of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to [you]."(James 1:5) And with that "wisdom," ask God what other resolutions He would have you make!

2. Wisdom = success: Pray for wisdom, as to how to fulfill the goals God gives you.

3. God’s Strength: Rely upon God’s strength to help you.

4. Refuse to be discouraged: The fact is that you’re going to fail occasionally, but don’t let those failures discourage you, but use them to motivate you further!

5. Avoid Pride: Don’t become proud or vain, but give God the glory. "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday."(Psa 37:5,6)

Ok; Go for it!
Rev Russ

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement