Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » What part of God's FREE GIFT is NOT FREE? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What part of God's FREE GIFT is NOT FREE?
Dave B.
Advanced Member
Member # 6710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave B.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone again,

Yes it has been a long time. Thanks for remembering. Thanks also for the great questions.So, let's try to answer them from the Bible.

Let's look at Eden's question first, regarding Romans 10:9-10 13.

The call of the gospel is to believe. That "belief" the Bible calls us to have, is called faith, and we know faith is a gift from God. "Accepting Christ" is a religious act. It may be performed by someone as a result of them being saved by God. Or it may be a psychological-religious act. At the time the person performs the act, no one can tell which.

So, the Bible never gives the performance of any religious act, as the "evidence" of salvation. Unfortunately, most evangelical churches have done just that. They regard "accepting christ" as the proof that someone is saved. This is a very dangerous error, because it leads many to believe they are saved, when they are not.

So now to Daniel's question, why do some people hear the gospel and are not saved?

The answer of course is because man is dead in trespasses and sins. Man is spiritually dead. Until God makes the sinner alive, they can hear the gospel all day and never be saved. In fact Paul explains this in 1 Corinthians 2:14, when he explains "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.". The greek word for "natural" is psykikos, where we get our English word "psychological". The sinner, being spiritually dead, can at best, only make a psychological response.

So what is salvation? It is the act of God, whereby, through the hearing of the gospel, a dead sinner is regenerated. Their nature is changed. Their response is one of faith. God has determined to save a great many people. we don't know who thay are. But those who God has determined to save, will believe. Our job is never to get people to "make a decision for Christ", but instead to preach the gospel in thought, word and deed. God will use the gospel preaching to save those He has decided to save.
Read John chapter 6 in light of this. Jesus said "No man can come to me, unless the Father who sent me drag him". After this conversation, many of his followers left him.

Anyway, this is getting long. In our day and age, we have two distinctly different gospels being preached. One of them claims "accepting christ" is the "cause" of one's salvation. The biblical gospels says that "accepting christ" may be a "response" to salvation..but the evidence of true salvation is repentance, conviction of sin, obedience, prayer, confession, love etc. If these fruits are not increasing in our lives, we should as James says "examine ourselves, to see if we are in the faith".

I hope this is helpful to all of you. This applies to me as much as to anyone else.

Thanks again,

Dave B.

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dare I ask this, but should we possibly throw down in disgust our present ways, repent, and submit ourselves? I mean, churchianity takes over soon after we are saved and rivets us to our adopted customs, rather than life (that was not 'rivits'). Thereafter, though HE may make an appearance from time to time, otherwise Jesus isn't in it.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we must ask to be made a member of the family of God. We must throw down in disgust our past ways, repent, and submit ourselves.

Everyone here knows that. It's a GIVEN.

You ask, where does God fit into that ? You have got to be kidding. You can want and beg and pray and fill the plate with money, take a lot of baths, wear white clothes and sit in church all day but you will go no where unless you believe that Christ stepped out for you and gave his life. Even after doing that, if He doesn't see in your heart that you believe in Him it still won't happen. However, if it is in your heart to be saved, you won't be because what you did still isn't the open door. The door is opened to you through His Grace and forgiveness.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave B. wrote...The Bible give evidences of salvation.
> A transformed life marked by prayer, confession, repentance and love.
> The witness of the Holy spirit that we are children of God.

If these evidences are not present in our lives, we may want to carefully examine if we are saved at all? That's why the Bible commands us to examine ourselves, to see if we r in the faith.
~~~~~

Thank you Dave for this. I was just reading to day about "the tree and it's fruit" of the saved in Matthew 7.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Dave B., nice to see you again. You wrote to Eden, et al.,
quote:
First of all, when we say "people who were Christians" we have to ask, what does that mean? If we answer "Christians are those who have accepted Christ as their personal savior", then we run into problems right off the bat. This is because the Bible never gives "accepting Christ" as an evidence of salvation.
So what about Romans 10:9-10 then?

Romans 10
9 That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

So Dave B., how is it that you say "being saved" is an "act of God", without any input from us?

Don't people "accept with their heart" and "accept with their mouth" the Lord Jesus?

so you wrote
quote:
If we answer "Christians are those who have accepted Christ as their personal savior", then we run into problems right off the bat. This is because the Bible never gives "accepting Christ" as an evidence of salvation.
Don't you think the above verses constitute "accepting Christ" unto salvation?

Please explain. Thanks, Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave B.,
You havent been here for a while. Welcome back. I do have a question for you......

Why do you think it is that some people do not repent when they hear the gospel message?

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave B.
Advanced Member
Member # 6710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave B.   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden, and everyone else,

Eden I am intrigues by your February 6th reply, the part which said.

"And, to be honest, has it not been our Christian experience thus far that people who WERE Christians once upon a time, let's say when they were young, but then when they were teenagers they abandoned Jesus as being nonsense, and then, later in life, they returned to Jesus, is this not our experience in reality in Christianity, or am I mistaken about that?"

I confess that has been my experience as well as yours. People fall away and then seem to return. So the question is, what has happened?

First of all, when we say "people who were Christians" we have to ask, what does that mean? If we answer "Christians are those who have accepted Christ as their personal savior", then we run into problems right off the bat. This is because the Bible never gives "accepting Christ" as an evidence of salvation. Thus it is possible these people who, as the stony soiled peopel in Matthew 13, were never saved.

If we understand what Biblical salvation is, which is an act of God, without respect to anything we have done, then we can see that a true Christian, if they fall away, will be convicted of sin, and repent. If not, God will chastise them, and they will repent.

The Bible give evidences of salvation.
> A transformed life marked by prayer, confession, repentance and love.
> The witness of the Holy spirit that we are children of God.

If these evidences are not present in our lives, we may want to carefully examine if we are saved at all? That's why the Bible commands us to examine ourselves, to see if we r in the faith.

I hope this helps. God is powerful and sovereign, and saves those who He has purposed to save.

God bless you

Dave B.

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

GLORY BELONGS TO HIM...Good to hear that you had a healing experience. It sure does seal the bond in a special way doesn't it?

For me, I was so happy that I went around and started telling what the Lord had done for me.
It was frustrating at the response that I got.
I don't know if anyone believed me from the looks and comments that I got. Well, they know what I said, and it's their loss if they don't believe it.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen. Keep the faith.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reading about your healings and testimonies.

I know for a fact that there are healings God does instantly and those healings are called miracles. Then again there are healings that God does gradually over time. But in both one must beleive that God is a rewarder. One must beleive that He is the "Balm in Gideon". He has healed me many times even when I was yet in sin HE healed me when the doctors couldn't I received medication but the condition kept coming back. But when God touch my body that day the "anionting destroyed the yoke". [clap2]

So thrilled to hear how He has done the same for all of you too.

Bluefrog through all you have been through He has blessed you with a special sense of humor. [Smile]

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
Sometimes God's healing is in Heaven. We prayed for my dad's healing. God chose to take him home to Heaven. I miss him but I will see him again someday.
betty

I'm sorry too about your Dad Betty. Same with my Father, he had cancer and now resides with Jesus.

My Mom also had a stroke back in Nov.07 It affected her thinking, memory and entire right side. Most days she doesn't remember who we are at all. I have prayed for her and am still waiting on God for her healing.

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

BETTY...Sorry about your dad.

Just one little comment. This a general comment, not about your dad, anybody.

When you ask to heal yourself or another, you or that other person needs to understand that after the prayer they need to ACT on it. For instance, if you pray to have your vision return.
After you have asked put on a pair of glasses and sit down to read something or watch TV or the Horse Race Gazzet LOL. Expect it to happen.
He says to do it this way. No action means doubt.

bluefrog
unregistered

Prayer for healing is no different than other prayers in that they all get heard and answered.
If we know why we didn't get exactly what we asked for and at the proper time and at the proper place then I guess we can complain about it but if we knew that already why did we ask for it ? Recon it's best to leave it up to Him.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes God's healing is in Heaven. We prayed for my dad's healing. God chose to take him home to Heaven. I miss him but I will see him again someday.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

well, I can't answer why some healing is delayed cause I don't have a clue.

But I do know that:

1. His word does not change and He is faithful
2. All children of His will get their healing one way or another.

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

I think you hit the nail on the head. You must believe. Many Christians who believe and love the Lord find it so hard to believe that He actually heals us. Some pastors display their drama capabilities and employ other actors. Some get healed right up front and jump and scream. Later they are found right back where they were. Said when they left the church they weren't healed anymore. Well, they probably weren't believing anymore either. Some like I mentioned are healed and it lasts but so does the faith and trust. Some have no sign of a healing, trusting or not. Explain that, I can't.
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Wow! You have been through some stuff! God truly is awesome!

I too have strange things happen like kidney stones disappearing. Some folks don't believe in healing for today but my bible says that Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. We were healed and we are healed by His stripes!

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

13 years ago I discovered that I had 5 tumors in my body. That was a bad day. It's a long story how they got around to discovering the problem.

There was one in the part of my brain where surgery is not workable, one in my skull, one in my upper left arm bone and two in ribs.

The doc said to get my thangs in order. I finally woke up to the fact that I didn't need to die so I asked God to heal me. My Bible study class prayed for me as well. To act on my prayer I just thanked Him for the healing and went on my way. A year later I got xrayed again. Nothing...Not even a trace of any of them.
I've been through Prostate Cancer with surgery and they tell me it's all gone. Guys get it checked !!! That is something you don't want to go through even if they get it all. (they get more that you know)

I don't turn from doctors or medications usually but the Lord will jump in and help if you ask and believe He will.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Not a jokin matter really tho huh?... I will be prayin for ya.

He has fixed me up a few times when I was not well, He will do the same 4u2!

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

They found it in the xray. Said it looked broken. Which was caused by people asking such questions. Grrrrr hehe
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Think they will find it?

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

What is a guy my age ? Old. I started my first crying session in 1936. That's old. Probably older than your parents, maybe grandparents.

I saw my first TV when I was 13 and our house had inside plumbing for the first time then too.
I bought my first car (used)for $37.50 My football helmet was leather and no face masks.
Drugs you bought at the drug store and premarital sex was almost unknown as was abortions. You could leave your home unlocked as well as your car. People who didn't work were not respected. Jails always had empty cells. I started making an income at the age of 14 and the government has never got me a job or given me any welfare money. I married a lady who I intended to live with till death do us part. It has for over 50 years. Jesus knows me by my first name. hehe

Got a little carried away. Today I was set up to get my heart checked out after seeing an Xray.

Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a guy your age? Getting off the topic right. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Wellllll, some go sometimes, humm, 2 scripts. LOL

It really doesn't matter to me but it gives me a chance to razz someone. But ain't it da trut ?

As for how I am...don't ask a guy my age. They may tell you. But thanks for askin. How's yourself ?

Hugs

The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluefrog do any of these posts rarely go the way we start them off? [Big Grin] [Confused] How are you perking these days dear brother?

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...Now Wait a minute here.....You opened the subject of the gift that was not free meaning not free to us, not Jesus or God.

We all know of the sacrafices from heaven but that was not what you were asking.

The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love that prayer Found in Him. But what America fails to realize is Obama doesn't have the answers to America's condition which are getting worst. The answer is only in Jesus and only by His mighty hand working with President Obama and the congress will any results be seen.

What part of God's gift is not free? Well "Salvation" is God's free gift to men even though it has conditions. Once men has repented and accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior all His promises comes with it. The only one that ever paid the ultimate price for us was and is Jesus Christ as Found in Him has stated.

God will never take the gift of Salvation back from anyone as "becauseHelives" has also stated. But men have left it (the gift of Salvation) and backslide many times.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Colossians 1
17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Found in Him wrote
quote:
Cost Jesus a bunch tho didn't it? That's Our Lord!
It also cost God the Father YHWH "a bunch" because He had to look at it all unfold, and that cannot have been easy either.

I'm likewise also reminded of the pain that God the Father YHWH, and for that matter the Lord Jesus before He came to earth, how They must have suffered to see the northern house of Israel, and then the southern house of Judah, be trodden down in the streets of Samaria and Jerusalem and to have to watch the people whom He loved, be cast out like dung into the streets, eventhough Israel and Judah had become hopelessly corrupted. It must have hurt a LOT.

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Cost Jesus a bunch tho didn't it? That's Our Lord!

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

You ask, What part of God's FREE GIFT is NOT FREE?

Did anyone come up with a dandy answer ?

Can't imagine God's Gifts costing something.

bluefrog
unregistered

This old man has addressed his congressmen so many times we are on a first name basis.

I still say that this so called bailout bill or stimulant package be thrown out completely. It is stupid and selfish. All three of my congressmen have said it the way it is.

All the answers are in the bible.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Yup.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice prayer.

Have you addressed your Congressman yet?

1Sam.16

[7] But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, guilty as charged!
Dear Jesus,
I pray for our leader Mr. Obama. I pray Lord that you will move upon his heart. I pray that you will show him the importance of leadership for a country that is loosing it's fear of The Lord. It's not the color of our skin, but the substance of the heart that you see. Cast us not away from Your presence, but remember those who established this country under your mighty hand, believing and trusting in you for a land of liberty and justice for all. You alone bring freedom and security to a nation. You are a just and a Holy God.
Please place upon Mr. Obama your mighty hand. Please move him and grip his heart. Please show him that he is but a man and that you are the Lord God Almighty. I pray that he will come to know you in all of your righteousness. I pray that you will, more than any man ever could-- bring “the change” that this nation needs.
Let You hand remain upon Mr. Obama and let the world witness the result there of. In Jesus name I pray.

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Found in Him wrote, almost pleadingly, to bluefrog
quote:
well, I found nothing wrong with our conversation did you bluefrog? big hugs and wishing him well are blessings.
But what about Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr? Both of you Grrrrrrrrrred. Is that the new Presidential prayer??? As in, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat! You just left the good end off, didn't ya, cause you was too tired to finish the prayer...

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

well, I found nothing wrong with our conversation did you bluefrog? big hugs and wishing him well are blessings. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Pray for your President, don't berate him.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

grrrrrrr
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

quote:
Originally posted by bluefrog:
Not here, but I was going to start a discussion on Diciples..John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed in Him, "IF" ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed;

is that OK ?

I watched Obama tonite for a while. Got sick.
God Help Us !!!!

grrrrrrr
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Hey, he was puffin around Elkhart, In today. That's just a stones throw from me. I thought to call you and Betty and see if you might like to go with me over to see him and give him big hugs and wish him well for his new American Express card.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

Not here, but I was going to start a discussion on Diciples..John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed in Him, "IF" ye continue in My Word, then are ye My disciples indeed;

is that OK ?

I watched Obama tonite for a while. Got sick.
God Help Us !!!!

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

grrrrrrrr

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

If you have a minute and if I can remember what I was going to say if it matters and if you want to read it if it is not to late and if you haven't signed off, what if I said:

When Paul said IF, me thinks he was saying, If it ever did happen....no you've had it.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

I'm strongly starting to dislike this "if" word!

It's like a monster in my treasure box of absolutes.

--------------------

bluefrog
unregistered

FOUND IN HIM...Please do not worry, it does not effect you.

Hebrews 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.

Paul is talking to Christians who were Palestinian Jews, who crucified Jesus. He was also saying "If" they shall fall away (from Christianity) which is not likely...etc. He doesn't say "can not be forgiven" or "cannot be restored to salvation". To become a Jew and then disclaim the crucifiction there is no way it can be repeated to become a Christian again.
It is a hypothetical case illustration. And how could they repent to one they don't believe exists?

Remember the parable of the Prodigal Son, Luke 15:11-32 ? Sure ya do.

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

God is Holy and He so loved the world that He gave His precious Son that we might live. If anyone receiving this precious Son turns and forsakes Him... What will The Father do? This is a troubling thing to me.

I shake inside as I type and consider.

I respect and honor Him. I think of the Father viewing His Son hanging on a tree paying a heavy price for nothing He had done wrong.

It is a fearful thing to me.

Hebrews 10
37For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry.

38Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

39But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Found in Him wrote
quote:
4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because[b]to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

These verses put the fear of God in me.
Help me out here.

I can't, I don't know what Hebrews 6 means in light of Romans 3:23-25 where the original branches CAN BE GRAFTED BACK IN AGAIN.

Or, to put it this way, if God is no respector of persons, how can God graft the original branches of the house of Israel and of the house of Judah BACK IN but not grant that same opportunity for the Gentiles?

So how can one who has fallen away NOT get ANY new opportunity to be grafted back in?

And, to be honest, has it not been our Christian experience thus far that people who WERE Christians once upon a time, let's say when they were young, but then when they were teenagers they abandoned Jesus as being nonsense, and then, later in life, they returned to Jesus, is this not our experience in reality in Christianity, or am I mistaken about that?

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

maybe the fear of the Lord is the point? take heed?

1 Corinthians 10
1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

3And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

5But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

6Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

7Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

8Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.

9Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.

10Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

11Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

12Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

--------------------

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

This subject brings the fear of God on me!!!!

We know that salvation is a free gift...Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

But I'm not sure what to do with this:
Hebrews 6
1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God, 2instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3And God permitting, we will do so.

4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because[b]to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

These verses put the fear of God in me.
Help me out here.

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

I was reading Romans 5:8-10 and 3:23-25 yesterday and was again wondering WHAT, if anything, IS NOT FREE about God reconciling us to Him thru His Son?

Romans 5:8-11

8 But God commends His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9 Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by HIS life.

11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Dear Christian friends, which part, if any, of the abovc verses say that WE HAVE TO STILL DO SOMETHING other than have faith in the shed blood of Jesus?

I don't see anything that I now need to add to my faith in Jesus to be justified and reconciled to God by the shed blood of Jesus?

Jesus did not die for an INCOMPLETE ATONEMENT, did He? For God commends HIS love toward us...

What is NOT free about the above offer?

Romans 3
23 For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

24 Being justified FREELY by HIS grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

25 Whom God has set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.

Is there any part of justification that is NOT FREE? Being justified freely by HIS grace, and thus NOT BY ANY GRACE OF OUR OWN?

love, Eden

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement