Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Few, The Remnant

Author Topic: The Few, The Remnant
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point is that if one is compelled to obey the lusts, which is what it would be if one threw a brick at the barking dog's owner, then he chose, against the Spirit of God, to do so. That is not 'keeping' the commandment of God, and he 'chose' to fall short of the commandment. It is not that we cannot fall short. But the perception is that we cannot do otherwise. That annuls scripture, though not really.

And if one is 'letting' Jesus be his Holiness 'in and through' him, he is keeping the commandments, and not transgressing. It is when one is not 'letting' Jesus be his Holiness in and through him, that he fails.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
All we can do is cry out to God: "Lord have mercy on me a sinner", and that's IT!!!
It is implied by this response that you 'have' to sin, and depend upon God to save you still. Ok! We are all pretty miserable failures, I'll be first to admit. But you said that you 'had' to sin, and mentioned barking dogs, and the like. I am human. I full well know what you mean. However, if one insists that one has to 'react' to the barking dogs in irreverence, or denial of Christ (which is what it would be if it is disobedience), one may as well cast out the word. Because one will have done what he did in violation of the word. The point is that one 'chooses' in such a case, to override the will of God. That means that one 'deliberately' sins. It was a 'choice'. There is no way around it. Therefore one must dump the word, for he has mocked God, especially since one didn't 'have' to commit the offense "against God," and therefore against another man.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison wrote
quote:
Then throw out scripture, for it is impotent! …And abide in sin, for that is the only conclusion that can be reached when one does not believe the word.
Throw out the Word? What nonsense is that? For it is in the Word that we find out how we can be saved IN SPITE OF our condition, namely, Jesus died for us.

And as for "abiding in sin", Paul addressed that issue by saying, in so many words, "Now that we have liberty in Jesus, shall we continue to sin? God forbid".

And why would anyone continue to "abide in sin" when they are thankful that Jesus has saved them from their sins? Rather, they will try to please the Lord by "letting Jesus be their holiness IN them and THRU them". But we ourselves cannot keep the teachings of Jesus...bark! bark! bark!

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REMNANT could also be a CHRISTIAN.

Either you are a Christian or Not.

bluefrog
unregistered

This thread started off talking about The Few, The remnant. Then the subject exploded like a grenade and fragments went in all directions.

The title, I believe, meant something like.... At the End there will be Few Survivors.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
No man is able to keep Jesus's smallest commandments. All we can do is cry out to God: "Lord have mercy on me a sinner", and that's IT!!!
Then throw out scripture, for it is impotent! …And abide in sin, for that is the only conclusion that can be reached when one does not believe the word. For as it is written:

1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; [in all manner of behavior] “All” manner of behavior includes what? What exceptions does it provide for? What exceptions does “All” allow for? How many minutes, or hours is one allowed to abide in 'exception' to "All"?

1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

And where does bad behavior come from, but lusts? (1Pe 1:14) “As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts, in your ignorance. “

Therefore which lusts are not included in “All” behavior, that one can ‘obey’ them?

1Pe 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation [manner of behavior] received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

And how precious is the Blood, if we willingly trample it in defiance of scripture, which so many are willing, with disregard, to do?

Moreover, were not the Israelites slain in the wilderness for ‘disobedience’?

So:

23 “But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. “

Let’s read on….

24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

And what does he end up saying? He says that with his flesh, [using his flesh] he serves the ‘law’ of sin. But what about this? It is about a ‘choice’. Therefore he is saying in this passage of Romans that he either submits to the Law of God, or he submits to the law of the flesh, and makes excuses, therefore denying the word, and the Lord who brought him. Because of the Blood of Jesus, he is without excuse.

But who will read "Be ye Holy," to really mean what it says?

Eden
unregistered

The Few, the Remnant, yes, but I still was grateful to to read in the book of Acts how MULTITUDES WERE SAVED in Israel by the apostles' preaching:

Acts 4:32
And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

And right after Jesus's ascension, in a matter of 1 or 2 days, first 3,000 souls were saved and then 5,000 souls were saved, and multitudes were saved at one time when they saw the miracles that the apostles did:

Acts 2:43
And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

Acts 2:41
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added to them about three thousand souls.

Acts 4:4
Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

So few, the remnant, yes, but thank God thousands upon thousands believed in Israel-Judah-Smaria-Galilee, and millions and millions more have heard the word and believed since then.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

Subject: THE FEW, THE REMNANT

In that the decision is up to each one of us and the remnant is the one with eyes to see and ears to hear, we still only have the Word to predict what will happen. I sure hope there will be more than what I expect.

Jesus tells about those poor souls who will witness through the terrible end times called the Tribulation period and how many believers will fall back into the hands of Satan. What bothers me so is the teachings now about the Rapture.

What else can God do for us ? He has given us every possible chance to return to Him and Forever.

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives wrote to Copper25
quote:
you will find you will be very unpopular here on the board if you teach a separated holiness life style....
I think that is a misrepresentation of what some others on this board think.

I, for instance, do not think that you CAN keep the "holiness" life style. The Israelites couldn't keep the law, and Jesus made His demands even STRICTER than the law, so what makes you think that you can keep what Jesus asked you to keep? It is impossible.

For example, the Israelites under the law were "allowed" to hate their enemies, but Jesus said, "love your enemies". When you were at the mall for the holidays and you get back to your car and your car window is smashed in, what are your thoughts then, eh?

And, what about, "loving your neighbor"? What was the last time a neighbor moved in right next to you whose dog barked all day long and you could not sleep because you work the night shift? What were your thoughts then, eh?

Or just try to keep these:

Matthew 5:22
But I say to you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, you fool, shall be in danger of gehenna fire.

Jesus made the law even stricter, and there is NO MAN who can keep them. Only Jesus in us can keep His Own Law, and He will, PROVIDED that we get out of the way and "don't think that we can try to keep it with our separated holiness life style", because that leads to failure, getting back up, resolving to do better next time, failing again, gettting back up, praying somewhat harder this time, failing, resolving to try even harder next time, and it never ends.

It is a lifestyle of misery and failure, which even caused the devoted Paul to cry out:

Romans 7
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

No man is able to keep Jesus's smallest commandments. All we can do is cry out to God: "Lord have mercy on me a sinner", and that's IT!!!

Romans 10:3
For they, being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God.

To repeat what you wrote to Copper25, becauseHElives
quote:
you will find you will be very unpopular here on the board if you teach a separated holiness life style....
Only Jesus in us can keep His own commandments. All we can do is, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord.

love, Eden
"Forget about 'love your enemies', what about 'loving your neighbors' when their dog barks all day long?" [happyhappy]

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 14 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper25 , I like what you are saying, I agree only a few will be saved.... you will find you will be very unpopular here on the board if you teach a separated holiness life style....

may Yahshua bless as you continue in Faith in the precious Blood of the Lamb of Yahweh! [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaiah 10:21) The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God

Isaiah 10:22) For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness

Israel, a big nation filled with many people, when all is said and done, only a remnant will remain. If that be God’s chosen people, how more would this statement all to everyone else? “ Take heed, for if he spared not the natural branches ”, how much less would he us. Only a few make it and cross the finish line, only a few “ endureth unto the end “, So what separates the few from the many or what separates the lukewarm from the hot in the faith? Perseverance in obeying the will of God. And only a remnant will succeed and be successful while the others that fell short face eternal destruction “ And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire ”. No wonder the Lord said ” Enter ye in at the strait gatebecause “broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction ” and many will be there. The narrow path is hard, especially if someone can’t let go of their old ways, but it must be done to destroy the body of sin, else how can we ever live pleasing God? When someone can not let go of a sinful act, how can the straight and narrow path be reached? Any broad way action will keep a person off the straight and narrow path required. This is not an optional sacrificial act, to abandon sin, but one that is required of us. The scriptures say what happens to the transgressor, the worker of iniquity, and the evildoer, they perish. When it says we are called to holiness, it means just that, but we must break away from worldliness, namely sin.

Presumptuous sinning at all points by leaning to God needs to be abolished in its entirety from our lives; this is no light task but takes dedication, discipline, and submissiveness to heed God’s word. When it says turn from evil or turn from your wicked ways, what in-between is there? Even a little wickedness is still wickedness. Nevertheless we are called to flee from the captivity of sin and reach for the freedom of righteousness. “ Be ye holy; for I am Holy ”, to “ hate the evil and love the good ”, to seek the truth and pursue it; but this requires work, diligence, and not the element of self, which is associated with pride and will hinder the soul. The self element is what stops so many people because it will cause them to stumble spiritually. Only a remnant was not hindered by the element of self, whether it be self-esteem or self-love, which the two greatest commandments have nothing to do with. “ Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind ”. “ Thou shall love thy neighbor as thy self ”. Nothing about self-love at all.

Christ laid down the stake and what was the cost when we said “ He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it ”. Only a remnant is going to make it, out of the entire human race from Adam, all the way up to the destruction of the Gog and Magog people. About a billion confessing Christians in the world today. Does that sound like the remnant considering that there is only about 6 billion people in the world today? No, but it much smaller. Only one leopard was saved when Elisha was around living in Israel and only one widow was visited by Elijah during the three and half year period without rain in Israel. Therefore, “ Strive to enter in at the straight gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able to ” because “ broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction ” ,and “ narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life and few there be that find it

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement