Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Bronze Age

Author Topic: The Bronze Age
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So no one else is surprised that the Bible starts outside the garden of Eden with the Bronze Age and skips the Copper Age and skips the Stone Age?

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading Will Durant's 11-vomune The Story of Civilization, and it made me realize that the Bible starts its narrative, after Adam and Eve's expulsion from the garden of Eden, directly with the Bronze Age.

Archaeologists have, I think positively, determined from the mounds or "tells" of ancient cities in Crete and in Greece and in other places, that at the bottom of these tells, there is, usually, first a "neolithic" or "stone implements" age, followed upward by a "copper implements" age and followed upward by a "bronze implements" age (bronze is copper mixed with tin) and followed upward by an "iron implements" age.

I was wondering why the Bible book of Genesis starts out directly with the Bronze age and skips the copper implements age and skips the stone implements age:

Genesis 3
23 Therefore the LORD God sent him {Adam and Eve} forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24 So he {the LORD} drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden cherubims and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Then Genesis 4 starts with the account of Abel and Cain being born outside the garden of Eden and how Cain is banished for killing Abel. Genesis 4 then continues:

Genesis 4
16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and dwelled in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

17 And Cain knew his wife and she conceived, and bore Enoch: and he built a city and called the name of the city after the name of his son, Enoch.

18 And to Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begot Mehujael: and Mehujael begot Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.

Enoch was Cain's son and Irad was Cain's grandson and Mehujael was Cain's great-grandson and Methusael was Cain's great-great grandson and Lamech was Cain's great-great-great grandson, and thus Lamech was not that far removed from Cain. And with Lamech the bronze age and iron age already start:

Genesis 4
19 And Lamech took to him two wives: the name of the one was Adah and the name of the other was Zillah.

20 And Adah bore Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.

21 And Jabal's brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.

22 And Zillah, she bore Tubalcain, an instructor of every artificer in brass and in iron ...

The Internet informs me that brass and bronze are the same thing, that copper mixed with tin becomes bronze or brass.

So why does the Bible start in Genesis 4 directly into the bronze and iron age and omits the stone age implements and omits the copper age implements?

I'm very puzzled by that, except that it is possible that, as I have posted before, the Bible's history of Adam begins with Adam's GENERATIONS outside the garden, so that it would appear that Adam's GENERATIONS outside the garden started in the bronze and iron age?

But that would mean that during the stone implements age and during the copper implements age, Adam and Eve were still in the garden of Eden, WHILE there were already people on earth who had moved from the stone implements age and from the copper implements age to the bronze implements age and even to the iron implements age? That is very, very strange. [Confused]

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement