Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » It is hard to get....

Author Topic: It is hard to get....
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluefrog wrote
quote:
Isn't becoming a Christian something like gettin some smarts about you?
Absolutely. My numberrrr one reason for letting Jesus thru the Holy Spirit do my thinking and directing for me, is because I realized They are Wa-a-a-y Smarter than I am, and only a fool would continue to try to think for and direct himself after realizing how Smart THEY are, Amen?

love, Eden
"Lord, You move me"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't becoming a Christian something like gettin some smarts about you ?

Once you start going through the Word you find some pretty revealing nuggets of knowledge. On the other hand, without the Holy Spirit the full truth won't become available.

Then there are knot-heads like me. Sometimes it takes me forever to catch onto something, and often because of what I have been taught in error.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well eden, this is not necessarily on the same stream of thought.
quote:
Yes, that is true:

1 Corinthians 5
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners or with idolaters; for then must you needs go out of the world.

Ever heard that you can take the country boy out of the country, but you cannot take the country out of the boy! That is what I was speaking of. And that has little to do with our not being taken 'out of the world'. For it is the taking of the world out of us to which I referred. [Wink]
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison wrote
quote:
It is hard to get the world out of us once we are saved.
Yes, that is true:

1 Corinthians 5
10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners or with idolaters; for then must you needs go out of the world.

But God accounts us as "not being of the world":

John 17:16
They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

You continued
quote:
It seems like repentance gets us only as far as to get saved, for most. Thereafter, though not quite the same as before, we return to savoring worldly benefits and rewards.
The key phrase is "though not quite the same as before". The things of the world have a renewed beauty and abundance and sense of blessing to them now that I'm saved:

John 10:10
The thief comes not, but for to steal and to kill and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Mark 10:30
But he shall receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brethren and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

overbs 13:22
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children: and the wealth of the sinner is laid up for the just.

Michael Harrison continued
quote:
But what scripture tells us is that repentance does not stop once we get saved. Yet somehow we get a new look at 'all that stuff'.
Only, now the stuff is a lot better, as our life works more seamlessly with Jesus in charge.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

HEY !
MICHAEL....Do you know who you are talking too?

RIVIT !

Flies are yummy ! I can catch one at 6 inches!

They also like to puke on your food. It helps it to digest well.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and other bloodsuckers. Then there are flies! I was peeved at a fly that was buzzing me when I was a baby Christian. I asked my spiritual mom, in an expressive way, what good are flies. She didn't hesitate long. She said, "To test your patience!"
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

The older we get the more memories of stupid things we have done come to mind.

I guess that Altzheimers isn't all that bad after all. I knew there was a reason for it. Now all I have to do is figure why He made mosquitos.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Boy! I know what you mean by 'loud' mufflers, and especially by megawatt trunk mounted boom boxes. I would rejoice if they outlawed them. But I also know how it would have broken my heart when I was a punk. I was not too bad, but I know that I did some irritating stuff. I have to figure that in when I am disgusted with some of these infringments. Yet, we didn't have the power in our car stereos that they now have. Heck, the power in some of these cars parallels what musicians had as a whole group, back in my day.
bluefrog
unregistered

Continued...
It seems very important to me that when a person comes to the Lord to repent and be adopted by Him, they need to know what they are doing. If the pastor is dealing with the situation it would help if he would have certain questions to ask. If not prepared, it should be suggested that they meet with him for counciling.

Not everyone is born again in a church, nor do they need to be, but it would probably help if they were. In either case it seems best if they do find a good church and get involved. Being a member of a church can help in most cases.

bluefrog
unregistered

Hi Michael...Betcha there are a bunch of folks who know exactly what you are talking about. It seems to me that most who end up walking the isle and asking to be saved are sort of like a person getting their first new car on a birthday and have never driven before.

When a young person first starts driving they should be given a used car, good mechanical shape and dependable. Before long they will often have an accident. Only problem is that the damage done stays or costs to fix. Some of the time an accident or carelessness can lead to death.

With Jesus you can start out with a used body but it won't get you far and you will make mistakes or be careless and it can lead to death.
In reality, you just continued to use the old body, but imagined it was something new.

With Jesus you can start out with a NEW BODY. Right away you need to learn about your new ride and learn how to drive it properly. You can and will make mistakes but He will fix it for you if asked and you agree not to do that again. Being careless is human but why do you want to give Jesus a repair job? Instead, tell him that you sure do appreciate having the car and thank him for looking out for you. Thank Him for letting the Holy Spirit ride with you.
Being a courtious driver, no loud mufflers, no loud stereo, no speeding and no acting stupid with friends; ending up killing them. By being responsible you can glorify your Lord. People will notice if you are bad or good.

I don't know if they mean it that way or not but it appears that some pastors are interested in having people walk the isle and be saved which shows on their record. Deacons like that. No new members no job security. That is bad enough but once saved it is up to the new convert to take it from there. Not that many do. They joined to feel good and it may have lasted till dinner. (?)

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

It is hard to get the world out of us once we are saved. It seems like repentance gets us only as far as to get saved, for most. Thereafter, though not quite the same as before, we return to savoring worldly benefits and rewards. But what scripture tells us is that repentance does not stop once we get saved. Yet somehow we get a new look at 'all that stuff'. It distracts us. Then we are like the man who looks in the mirror, who straight away forgets 'who he is'. (James 1:23, 24) Then God our Lord, does not benefit the benefit. For He cannot embrace he who is lusting after another! Neither can HE reward him (or her).

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement