Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How many Christians do you think there are in the world today?

Author Topic: How many Christians do you think there are in the world today?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB, you wrote
quote:
My People of Christ,

Let us not forget what happened to David when He NUMBERED the people.

dear WildB, since I am the author of this Topic, How many Christians do you think there are in the world today?, I want you to know that I appreciated this addition to the Topic. For it is very true that, for a reason unknown to me, God was angry about David having the people of Israel NUMBERED and my Topic Title seems indeed similar to what David had asked himself.

But may I ask, WildB, why do you think that the LORD was angry that David had numbered ISRAEL? Do you think that it was because Israel are GOD'S PEOPLE and NOT DAVID'S that God was angry that DAVID should deign to NUMBER GOD'S PEOPLE?

If so, I'm thankful that I am living under grace, and not under law, for even this sin shall be forgiven: "Lord, wash me in the river of Your sacrifice".

So I appreciated your addition, WildB, and it got me to thinkin'... and to confessin', Lord, I'm sorry, the Christians are YOUR people, and not (my)(our) people.

Or, on a lighter note, is it okay for a brother to wonder how many brothers and sisters he has in Christ?

love, Eden
"I'm gonna live"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GLORY BELONGS TO HIM...That's right.

Now it is our job to find those new baby Christians and teach, teach, teach. Remember not to scorn, scorn, scorn or act like you know it all.

Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BecauseHeLives wrote;
[QUOTE] Many will sit on church pews, but only a few with sit with God in eternity [/QUOTE

Whosoever calleth upon the name of Jesus shall be saved.

This verse goes farther than just calling upon the name of Jesus. There are conditions that come along with it.

Many will call upon His name and still be sinners because they have never truly repented from their old ways. Many shall say Lord, Lord and still be lost. Lukewarm don't count God spits these out. You are either a "Real Christian or a Phony and phonies don't last long.
Because they have not the Spirit of God.

Many of us still have shortcomings and becauseHelives is right "That is why we need to check our selves and see are we truly in step with God's Word."

Selah,

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Yes, but don't forget how it got started....

1 Chronicles 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My People of Christ,

Let us not forget what happened to David when He NUMBERED the people.

2 Samuel 24:10

And David's heart smote him after that he had numbered the people. And David said unto the LORD, I have sinned greatly in that I have done: and now, I beseech thee, O LORD, take away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly.

Go and say unto David, Thus saith the LORD, I offer thee three things; choose thee one of them, that I may do it unto thee.
So Gad came to David, and told him, and said unto him, Shall seven years of famine come unto thee in thy land? or wilt thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue thee? or that there be three days' pestilence in thy land? now advise, and see what answer I shall return to him that sent me.
And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the LORD; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Well, we have been looking at the subject "How many Christians do you think there are in the world today?" from different angles for sure.

Right now, we are talking about increasing the number, right ? That, or why we might fail to increase the number.

This is a favorite subject of mine...witnessing.
When we are given a job to do, whatever it is, we should do our best to do it right me thinks.
Each Christian is given a command to spread the gospel. You know something that some people know nothing about. That should be pretty exciting, especially when you know that it can mean life or death to the one is unaware. That is gooder n' snuff and not half as dusty ! You have the opportunity to be a part of a persons life for EVER ! All you need to do is introduce them to themselves and then Jesus. Use a PLAN, and KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). After that, turn it over to the Holy Spirit.

Some Terrified witnesses say HUH ???!!!
My Pappy used to say: Can't never did nothin.

To witness without a plan is like driving to a new city and looking for a house with no map or directions...and it's on fire.

I have recently told you where you can get a great teaching plan at Way of the Master Radio, or I suppose that we could discuss it right cheer.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Eden,
My friend in the Lord, I certainly agree that there is no salvation without the "washing of the word" and the "renewal" that is brought about by the Holy Ghost.

but......do you also agree with the point that I am trying to make......that being........

that a biblical response of faith towards God involves a "consent of the will" or "surrender of the will".

Some people may misunderstand me and think that I am adding some new requirement to faith----

but what I am trying to point out is that "consent of the will" or "surrender of the will" appears to be an essential part of true biblical faith..........not an addition to it......or frosting on the cake.

In fact, some others on this site have pointed out that repentance means just that.........to have turned from a postion of rebellion to God and turned to God and His will. That would seem to make a lot of sense to me because we know that repentance means to turn away from sin, renounce sin, forsake it............but then it would have to mean that we are then turning towards something else......which biblically......would be God and His will. Now it appears that faith would even narrow it down even more to the extent that we are turning to God and His will which is found in His Son Jesus.

What do you think Eden? In our witness should we be telling others that repentance involves not only to turn away from sin, but also a turning to God and His will? and/or that faith involves putting ourselves subject to Jesus and His teachings? and if we dont, isnt there the potential risk that we could just leave a witnessee hanging with the belief that just acknowledging a set of biblical facts is enough to be saved?

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN to the below. People would reather try and excuse away their sin then actually come to know Jesus Christ and admit they are sinners and need help. They love their sin to much.

quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
you know Eden, the walk the isle, except Jesus as your savior lie is excepted by most of the people that claim to be saved in the western church today...

Eden you say my list is too long, it takes less than a minute to read even if you a slow reader....

The Apostle Paul said ...2Cr 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

except for the scriptures I know of nothing else for myself or others to examine their hearts by ...

all seed produces like kind, if Yahshua isn't being reproduced in my life, yours life or other lives that claim to be Christian(Christ like) ........some examination needs to take place...

many will set on church pews, but only a few will sit with Yahshua in eternity!

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden and others....

before salvation, sin is alive but the spirit of man is dead, so when you sin there is no conflict to deal with...

but when a person has been raised from the dead (which is what salvation is)...

Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness unto God.

...there is now a conflict (war begins in the heart)

if not properly taught the Word which has began its work in the heart will be stolen from the heart by Satan before Christ has been fully formed in the human heart...the parable of the sower must be understood or you have people thinking that because you have had an experience

Salvation is never completely finished as long as men/women are still in this body of flesh... thus we have an understand of why Yahshua said those that endure to the end shall be saved ...

the sad fact is many are taught they made a one time commitment of excepting Yahshua as savior and they will then be guaranteed eternal life... nothing of the conflict between flesh and spirit is ever stressed that eternity is in the balance.....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hello, oneinchrist, first of all I appreciate your sincerity for Christ. You said to Eden
quote:

Ok, I am going to pretend that I am an unbeliever and you witness to me. You say to me, "if you want to be in Heaven when you die all you have to do is believe Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for your sins". I say " ok, I will believe that so I dont go to Hell"........

oneinchrist, it is not that likely that ALL I would have said to that person is that "Jesus is the Son of God and Jesus died for your sins". If that's all I said to someone, I would expect that they would not fully understand, Amen?

I'm sure that prior to that I would have asked them to read the New Testament for themselves, I like to recommend the book of Luke for that purpose, and IF AFTER THAT, assuming that I had some kine of an ongoing relationship with that person, we may have gottent to the point where I say, "Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that Jesus died for your sins", right? So those two phrases would be unreasonable without some prior Biblical suggestiions, right?

You further said
quote:
... but I do not change my attitude towards sin and I keep livingmy life the way that I want without a concern for God' will and the teachings of Jesus.
If you did that, then it means I had not said to you, Now you need to read the Word of God in order to CONNECT with the Holy Spirit within you.

oneinchrist, I do tend to believe that a new Christian MUST read the Word of God because to me the Word of God is like a binary key which connects with the Holy Spirit which is given to us; if we do not open the binary key of the Word of God, the Holy Spirit that is given to us is also not opened properly, do you believe that?

love, Eden

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danial your aok in my book.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wild B,
After reading your post it reminded me of this thought that went through my mind once before and I shared it with my wife.....that thought being........"If our lives get too easy, there might be something wrong."

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If You Were Accused Of Being A Christian, Would There Be Enough Evidence To Convict You?

by Dr. Randy Weiss of CrossTalk Ministries (crosstalk.org)

We have moved beyond our wonderful Jewish High Holidays and been touched by the September 11th memorial tributes. It is now time to move on with our lives. “Look up . . . your redemption draws nigh” (Luke 21:28).

Let me ask the profound question, “If you were accused of being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?”

Do you believe Jesus is coming soon? Does your life reflect that belief? Do you really love God? These questions are not answered with a simple, “Yes,” or “No.” The answers must
be lived through vibrant faith and empowering discipline.

We must internalize and personalize these questions. Let me ask this more simply, “Am I willing to lay my life down for Jesus?” If not, I may never be willing to truly live for Jesus.
Are you a Christian because you want to have friends in high places? If He doesn’t have a friend in low places, you miss the point . . . and you may miss His greatest blessings.

Perhaps some of you are going through low places in your life right now. Some of you may be suffering and questioning the will of God at this very moment. I want to remind you
that God loves you and has a blessed plan for each of His servants. His way is not always smooth. Sometimes our faith is tested in the fires of life’s trials. Remember, even Jesus, “Learned he obedience by the things which he suffered.” (Heb 5:8). God knows the strength He desires to build into your faith through your experiences. Will you joyously give God the reign over every area of your life? Will you praise Him for the rainbows, as well as the rain?

Permit me to focus some attention on a Jewish guy named Paul. I love Paul. He is a role model who learned how to endure trials with grace. Paul was an extremely resourceful
guy! But after Paul became a Christian, he was always in trouble. The rank & file folks in the Church didn’t trust him because he had formerly hunted down and killed Christians
when he was still an angry Pharisee known as Saul of Tarsus. Later, the Church leaders within the Jerusalem Council were angry with him for converting massive numbers of Gentiles into the congregation of the saints. His old Jewish friends were angry with him for becoming a missionary to people who were not Jewish. Even the Romans were aggravated with Paul. They were uncomfortable because everywhere he went, the peace of Rome was threatened. Riots just seemed to follow this man wherever he went.

Paul became accustomed to difficult circumstances. One day, Jesus Himself came to Paul and said something to the effect, “son, get out of Dodge nobody is going to believe your story.” Actually, the way Paul described the encounter, he said, 17. . . it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance; 18And saw him (Jesus) saying unto me, Make
haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me” (Acts 22:17-18). Now Paul knew what was going on. He said, “Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee: 20And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him. 21And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles” (Acts 22:19-21). Now translating this from King James English into a more modern parallel, Paul was sort of asking to get into God’s witness protection
program! But it was too late. A mob developed when Paul testified and they said, “Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live” (Acts 22:22b).
In essence, his enemies said, he doesn’t deserve to take up space on this planet. Then a group of Roman soldiers took their liberty to begin beating him. I love the King James
Version of the account. “24The chief captain commanded him to be brought into the castle, and bade that he should be examined by scourging; that he might know wherefore they cried so against him” (Acts 22:24).

Paul’s “examination” or test was through a good whooping. How often do we get tested in a similar way? How often is our faith tested by situations we would prefer to escape?
Well, Paul was often tested. His testimony was crammed with reports of beatings, scourgings, being left for dead, saved by the skin of his teeth, and the litany of trials seems endless. Yet Paul understood better than any man that the there was to be an end to his trials. In fact, at the end, Paul knew he would receive the hope of glory for Paul had met
Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus.

Paul was a sinner saved by grace. He knew who was in charge of his destiny. Do you? This all serves to bring me back to the issue I began to address in my introduction: “Are we children of the king, and, if so, were we saved to rule or to serve?”

As you might guess, I will give you my opinion. But before I do, I want you to know that I am also interested in yours. I’d love to hear from you. Would you be willing to let me know what you think? May I ask you to take a moment to tell me a little about yourself? I’d like to hear about your faith. Do you believe in Jesus? Do you believe He lives? Do you believe He was Jewish? How does that impact your understanding about the Early Church? Are you interested in this stuff?

I pray you will receive this blunt spiritual inquiry in the spirit in which it was intended. My desire is to challenge each reader to draw closer to the Lord.

To contact Dr. Weiss email DrWeiss@crosstalk.org Copyright 2005 by Randy Weiss, Ph.D

--------------------
That is all.....

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You asked Who do YOU consider to be a Christian?

a tree is easily recognized by it's fruit!

but in the church today people are taught that saying your an apple, makes you an apple...so sad!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...You asked How Many Christians in the world Today?

Answer: I think it is impossible to even come close.

You asked Who do YOU consider to be a Christian?

Answer: A person who claims to be. How can you know a persons heart ?

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know Eden, the walk the isle, except Jesus as your savior lie is excepted by most of the people that claim to be saved in the western church today...

Eden you say my list is too long, it takes less than a minute to read even if you a slow reader....

The Apostle Paul said ...2Cr 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

except for the scriptures I know of nothing else for myself or others to examine their hearts by ...

all seed produces like kind, if Yahshua isn't being reproduced in my life, yours life or other lives that claim to be Christian(Christ like) ........some examination needs to take place...

many will set on church pews, but only a few will sit with Yahshua in eternity!

--------------------

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi again Eden,
Ok, I am going to pretend that I am an unbeliever and you witness to me. You say to me, "if you want to be in Heaven when you die all you have to do is believe Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for your sins". I say " ok, I will believe that so I dont go to Hell"........but I do not change my attitude towards sin and I keep livin my life the way that I want without a concern for Gods will and the teachings of Jesus.

Do you mean to tell me that I am still converted?

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

The devil knows Jesus died and rose again, but he is not saved.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

hi, oneinchrist, you wrote to Eden
quote:
Eden, the reason that I am asking you this question is because I believe that there are plenty of people out there in the world, even in churches, who believe Jesus is the Son of God and savior, but have never truely repented of sin and answered Jesus call to discipleship.
Of course someone does have to realize that they are a sinner so that they would ask Jesus to take their place. Because someone who does not see himself as a sinner is not going to ask Jesus to be their Savior. The two go hand in hand.

As for what is required after that, I think we may end up surprised at how generous the Lord will be, perhaps as generous as "And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved".

They may not have many or any rewards beyond their salvation, but at least they will be "the least in the kingdom of heaven", which is still greater than John the Baptist had.

love, Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi again Eden,
To take this questioning a step further.........So do you believe that a person who believes in Jesus as the Son of God who died for their sins is saved regardless of whether or not he/she repents of sin and answers Jesus' call to be His disciple/follower?

Eden, the reason that I am asking you this question is because I believe that there are plenty of people out there in the world, even in churches, who believe Jesus is the Son of God and savior, but have never truely repented of sin and answered Jesus call to discipleship. While I certainly agree that one must believe Jesus is the Son of God and Savior, I am not convinced that that belief is enough all alone. I believe that biblical belief in God/Jesus must involve "consent of the will".....this would equate to a heart that is ready to obey the Lord.

In other words, I am convinced that we also must REPENT of sin and that we must PUT OURSELVES SUBJECT TO JESUS AUTHORITY in order to receive forgiveness of sin and sanctification by the spirit. Obviously without forgiveness and sanctification there will be no salvation.

What do you think? Do you think what I am saying is biblical when you consider the entire New Testament teachings?

Eden
unregistered

oneinchrist asked Eden
quote:
Do you think that there are people out in the world who believe that Jesus is the Son of God(who died for our sins), but are not saved?
If a person believes that Jesus is the Son of God and that Jesus died in his place, then that person is saved.

However, I am concerned about the unprofitable steward parable, that if a person who just "buried their talent" and thus did nothing to further the kingdom of God along, that parable seems to say that God will consider it the same as that person never really believing.

But other than that concern, I believe a person is saved by believing that Jesus is the Son of God and that Jesus died for his sins (i.e., the person has realized he is a sinner and that Jesus has died in his place and he has told God that that is what he wants to have happen: Jesus in my place).

Eden

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Eden,
I do have a question that I would like to ask you based on what you stated in your post about "believing in Jesus as the Son of God".

Do you think that there are people out in the world who believe that Jesus is the Son of God(who died for our sins), but are not saved? If so, what do you think would be the reason or reasons?

Eden
unregistered

dear brother becauseHElives, I don't think ANY Christian in history has EVER been asked to "check themselves" by the whole list that you have presented in your post, given that these things were said at different locations and at different times by vaiour Christian apostles and teachers.

So your list almost "smacks" again of "follow all these commandment of the law so that your righteousness will be sufficient before God", and so on.

While I appreciate your list, no Christian before our own "online computer" days was ever shown that entire list to "check themselves".

And I think it is more important that someone be found "in the faith of Jesus first and foremost" by sincerely believing that Jesus was the Son of God who died in our place.

Howbeit, once we are inside the family camp of
God, God does ask us to "check ourselves" and to be "good sons and daughters in the family camp of God", with allowances of mercy for the fact that we are "adopted children with issues who came from Satan's camp".

Howbeit, God wants us to read the Word of God, and God wants us to listen to the Holy Spirit that has been given to us, that we may learn to behave within the family camp of God and become good daughters and sons of God.

So let me repeat what I said to becauseHElives at the top of this post:

"I don't think ANY Christian in history has EVER been asked to "check themselves" by the whole list that you have presented in your post, given that things were said at different times and different locations and no Christian was ever asked to "check themselves by the whole list" except in these bbs Internet days of "cut and paste".

love, Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahshua said the number of the saved would be few...

Luk 13:23-24 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them,Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Then said Yahshua unto His Disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. - Matthew 16:24

If ye love Me, keep My commandments. - John 14:15

Once being saved, then what? Yahshua said to follow Him and obey His commandments.

Are you following Him? Are you obeying His commandments?

What does it Mean to Follow Him?

As Sheep:

John 10:7 - Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the Door of the sheep.

John 10:27 - My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me:

The Sheep follow their Shepherd. Their eyes must be on Him. Their ears must be open to His voice. They must follow His Way. Yahshua put it this way - "Enter in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in:" "Because narrow is the gate, and difficult is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:13,14)

Yahshua, the Good Shepherd, knew what all His Sheep/Disciples would face in the centuries ahead and gave this warning. "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15) (Also check Matthew 24:24)

As Disciples:

Romans 14:19 - Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

1 Corinthians 14:1 - Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy.

1 Thessalonians 5:15 - See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

1 Timothy 6:11 - But you, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

2 Timothy 2:22 - Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Hebrews 12:14 - Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

1 Peter 2:21 - For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

3 John 1:11 - Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that does good is of God: but he that does evil has not seen God.
Yahshua' Disciples followed in His footsteps in spite of the persecution that they faced. Here is what they practiced in their daily lives and they have passed it on to us, thru Yahweh's Word, as the Holy Spirit inspired them.

Take a reality check. Make a check list to follow.

What are His commandments?

Yahshua SAYS: KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS

If ye love Me, keep my commandments. - John 14:15

He that has My commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves Me: and he that loves Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. - John 15:10

WHAT ARE THEY?

Matthew 5:19 - Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 22:37 - Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Matthew 22:38 - This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:39 - And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
Matthew 22:40 - On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mark 10:19 - You know the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honor your father and mother.

Here Are Some Commandments As Taught By Yahshua.

Matthew 5:16 - "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Matthew 6:1 - "Take heed that you do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise you have no reward of your Father Who is in heaven."

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that you be not judged."

Matthew 22:21 - "They say unto Him, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

Matthew 24:42 - "Watch therefore: for you know not what hour your Lord does come."

Mark 11:22: "And Jesus answering said unto them, Have faith in God."

John 14:11 - "Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake."

Here Are Some Commandments As Taught By The Disciples, Inspired By The Holy Spirit.

1 Thessalonians 4:2 - For you know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

Romans 12:1 - "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

Romans 13:8 - "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law."

Romans 14:19 - "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

1 Corinthians 16:13 - "Watch, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong."

Philippians 1:27 - "Only let your conversation be as it becomes the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;"

Philippians 4:6 - "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Colossians 2:6 - "As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him:"

Colossians 3:1 - "If you then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God."

1 Thessalonians 5:6 - "Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober."

Titus 2:2 - "That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience."

James 4:7 - "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

1 Peter 1:13 - "Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;"

1 Peter 2:11 - "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;"

1 Peter 3:8 - "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:"

2 Peter 1:5 - "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;"

1 John 2:15 - "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
# Christianity: 2.1 billion
# Islam: 1.5 billion
# Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
# Hinduism: 900 million
# Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
# Buddhism: 376 million
# primal-indigenous: 300 million
# African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
# Sikhism: 23 million
# Juche: 19 million
# Spiritism: 15 million
# Judaism: 14 million
# Baha'i: 7 million
# Jainism: 4.2 million
# Shinto: 4 million
# Cao Dai: 4 million
# Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
# Tenrikyo: 2 million
# Neo-Paganism: 1 million
# Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
# Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
# Scientology: 500 thousand

Major Religions

Yet there are huge numbers within the "Christian" designation which follow a false Christ, place their faith and trust in church sacraments/rituals instead of Christ, and while paying lip-service to Jesus their heart is devoid of the truth.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
To me any person is a Christian who believes that Jesus died in their place so that God will give them the free gift of eternal life (and they do not have to die the second death). Anybody who believes that is a Christian.

There are about 6.5 billion people in the world. Some 1.5 billion of those are Chinese, and most of them have "no religion". That leaves about 5 billion people. India has almost 1 billion people, most of whom are Hindu or Moslem, so that leaves 4.5 billion for the rest of the world.

Islam probably has 1.5 billion believers, so that leaves 3 billion people. Of those probably 1.5 billion are either atheists or have other religions.

So that leaves 1.5 billion people who are either Catholic Christians or Protestants Christians, and of those 1.5 billion, the majority are Catholic Christians. [type] [roll on floor]

love, Eden
"this is what it is, to be held, to be loved"

Well BA your numbers reflect the same level of credibility as Al Gore's and his Global Warming Dogma.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

To me any person is a Christian who believes that Jesus died in their place so that God will give them the free gift of eternal life (and they do not have to die the second death). Anybody who believes that is a Christian.

There are about 6.5 billion people in the world. Some 1.5 billion of those are Chinese, and most of them have "no religion". That leaves about 5 billion people. India has almost 1 billion people, most of whom are Hindu or Moslem, so that leaves 4.5 billion for the rest of the world.

Islam probably has 1.5 billion believers, so that leaves 3 billion people. Of those probably 1.5 billion are either atheists or have other religions.

So that leaves 1.5 billion people who are either Catholic Christians or Protestants Christians, and of those 1.5 billion, the majority are Catholic Christians. [type] [roll on floor]

love, Eden
"this is what it is, to be held, to be loved"

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN...OK, so you are single.

How many Christians are there ?

How do you know if a person is a Christian?

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say if there is not enough evidence in your life that you could be convicted of being a Christian then you most likely are not one. There are no closet Christians.

Matthew 10:33
But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way to know how many real Christians there are but from what I see from my small spot in the world there are not very many.

"We know that we have come to know Him if we obey his commands. The man who says, 'I know him' but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in Him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in Him. This is how we know that we are in him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did." (2:3-6)

If we don't obey the Lord, we don't belong to Him; our obedience is the proof that our faith is real. The famous Apostle Paul said that he would preach that people needed to "prove their repentance by their deeds." He also spoke of the "obedience that comes from faith."

True faith always results in a change of lifestyle. A person who previously was walking in darkness, away from God, changes direction and begins a new type of living. They may not do everything perfectly, but their desire is to learn how to obey Jesus.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those who have placed their faith alone in the True Christ Jesus alone are Christians. Those who place their faith and trust in a false "christ", or in Christ plus works are very questionable.

How many true living Christians are there in the world today?

All of them.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
EDEN: Women think like men?
What? Has God now made a woman to be a helpmeet of men that men cannot understand?

Or has God made a man who is the head of the household who cannot communicate what he has heard from God with his wife?

But in any case, the basics of life are easy to understand: eating, drinking, being considerate, laughing, loving, and, of course ... shopping.

If there is any fault, it must lie with the individual man or woman, but not as a generalization.

God made men and women to become one; how can they become one if they cannot understand each other. This is nothing but cynicism.

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN..You must be single or a hermit or nuts.
Women think like men ?

How does anyone know how many Christians there are.

How can you tell if someone is a Christian ?
Ask Jesus.

Eden
unregistered

bluefrog wrote
quote:
BLUEFROG ANSWERS; I will tell you if you can tell me what women think.
Women think the same thing you think. Now, how many Christians are there in the world today? 1 billion? Less, more?

And what constitutes {what is) a Christian in your view?

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN ASKS: How many Christians are there?

BLUEFROG ANSWERS; I will tell you if you can tell me what women think.

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I consider myself a Christian. I accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord when I was 7 years old.
As far as how many Christians there are in the world, I leave that to God.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden wrote;
quote:
How many christians do you think are in the world today?
Only God knows.

Eden also wrote;
quote:
And who do you consider to be a christian?
People aren't always what they seen to be.
But the characteristics of a Christian should be as stated in Colossians 3:12-17;

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

Forbearing one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body, and be ye thankful.

And let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by HIm.

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

How many Christians do you think there are in the world today?

1 Billion?

Less?

More?

And who do you consider to be a Christian?

love, Eden
"by the way, I want to thank God for that beautiful picture in my Avatar"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement