Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The test of our faith

Author Topic: The test of our faith
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do we face testing in our life?

BIBLE READING: Genesis 12:10-20
KEY BIBLE VERSE: At that time there was a severe famine in the land, so Abram went down to Egypt to wait it out. (Genesis 12:10)

Tests throughout life can teach us to think clearly and to constantly trust in God. When famine struck, Abram went to Egypt where there was food. Why would there be a famine in the land to which God had just called Abram? This was a test of Abram's faith, and Abram passed. He didn't question God's leading when facing this difficulty. Many believers find that when they determine to follow God, they immediately encounter great obstacles. The next time you face such a test, don't try to second-guess what God is doing. Use the intelligence God gave you, as Abram did when he temporarily moved to Egypt, and wait for new opportunities.

Tests show us that making one good decision may not prevent another bad decision. Having trusted God and moved to Egypt for a while, Abram immediately made a bad choice. Acting out of fear, he asked Sarai to tell a half-truth and say that she was his sister. She was his half sister, but she was also his wife (see Genesis 20:11-12).

Abram's intent was to deceive the Egyptians. He feared that if they knew the truth, they would kill him to get Sarai. She would have been a desirable addition to Pharaoh's harem because of her wealth, beauty, and potential for political alliance. As Sarai's brother, Abram would have been given a place of honor. As her husband, however, his life would be in danger, because Sarai could not enter Pharaoh's harem unless Abram was dead. So Abram lost faith in God's protection, even after all God had promised him, and told a half-truth. This shows how lying compounds the effects of sin. When he lied, Abram's problems multiplied. The tests became real trials.

BIBLE READING: Genesis 22:1-18
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Later on God tested Abraham's faith and obedience. "Abraham!" God called. "Yes," he replied. "Here I am." "Take your son, your only son—yes, Isaac, whom you love so much—and go to the land of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will point out to you." (Genesis 22:1-2)

Tests are intended to make us, not break us. God tested Abraham, not to trip him and watch him fall, but to deepen his capacity to obey God and thus to develop his character. Just as fire refines ore to extract precious metals, God refines us through difficult circumstances. When we are tested, we can complain, or we can try to see how God is stretching us to develop our character.

Testing brings our real priorities out into the open. Why did God ask Abraham to perform human sacrifice? Pagan nations practiced human sacrifice, but God condemned this as a terrible sin (Leviticus 20:1-5). God did not want Isaac to die, but he wanted Abraham to "sacrifice" Isaac in his heart so it would be clear that Abraham loved God more than he loved his promised and long-awaited son. God was testing Abraham. The purpose of testing is to strengthen our character and deepen our commitment to God and his perfect timing. Through this difficult experience, Abraham strengthened his commitment to obey God. He also learned about God's ability to provide.

BIBLE READING: 2 Chron. 32:24-33
KEY BIBLE VERSE: When ambassadors arrived from Babylon to ask about the remarkable events that had taken place in the land, God withdrew from Hezekiah in order to test him and to see what was really in his heart. (2 Chron. 32:31)

Testing can bring out our true character. God tested Hezekiah to see what he was really like and to show him his own shortcomings and the attitude of his heart. God did not totally abandon Hezekiah, nor did he tempt him to sin, or trick him. The test was meant to strengthen Hezekiah, develop his character, and prepare him for the tasks ahead. In times of success, most of us can live a good life. But pressure, trouble, or pain will quickly remove our thin veneer of goodness unless our strength comes from God. What are you like under pressure or when everything is going wrong? Do you give in or turn to God? Those who are consistently in touch with God don't have to worry about what pressure may reveal about them.

BIBLE READING: Psalm 11:1-7
KEY BIBLE VERSE: The Lord examines both the righteous and the wicked. He hates everyone who loves violence. (Psalm 11:5)

Testing gives us a clear opportunity to grow, with God's help. God does not preserve believers from difficult circumstances, but he tests both the righteous and the wicked. For some, God's tests become a refining fire, while for others, they become an incinerator for destruction. Don't ignore or defy the tests and challenges that come your way. Use them as opportunities for you to grow.

(Handbook of Bible Application)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ONEINCHRIST...Sorry, I guess I wasn't sharp enough to catch it.

In other words the question was NOT:
How we test our own faith.
The question WAS:
How our faith is being tested.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

oneinchrist wrote
quote:
My question from the beginning is a probe into the question of how our faith is being tested and somewhat into the question of why our faith would be tested.
I think it is a very good question, oneinchrist. How IS my faith being tested? There is this one scripture that I can't remember the keyword of exactly, so I haven't found it yet, but in that scripture the LORD talks about doing something to someone, "to see what he will do" (or something like that).

But off the cuff, how is my faith tested? Probably also by "opportunities" that God puts in my path, and if I have faith that God is with me and I actually DO the "opportunity" and have grown from it, then "my faith has been tested" and found able.

Conversely, I may NOT do an "opportunity" set up by God, maybe because I'm too scared and lack faith in God and in myself, and I do NOT do the "opportunity", and I did and could not exercise faith. That would be testing my faith by God, for my sake, that I may see what I am.

For example, after Abram and Sarai had been told that they would be the parents of numerous children, when the famine occurred in Canaan, Abram and Sarai went down into Egypt and Sarai was taken into the harem of Pharaoh and it caused much trouble ...

Because, if Abram and Sarai had BELIEVED God's promise that they would have many children, Abram and Eve could have even remained in famine-stricken Canaan and the LORD would have had to figure something out to get them fed, like the raven for Elijah, because Abram and Sarai said to each other, "The LORD has promised us many children, therefore we cannot die wherever we are".

Instead, they did not have faith in the promise of God when the famine came, and Abram and Sarai went down into Egypt, and caused much trouble there when Sarai was taken up into Pharaoh's harem.

love, Eden
"this is what it is to be loved, to be held"

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bluefrog,
I would like to clarify somethin you said above. I did not post anything about how we test our own faith. Actually its quite the opposite. My question from the beginning is a probe into the question of how our faith is being tested and somewhat into the question of why our faith would be tested. I believe that the awareness of such a test can cause us to examine the sincerity of our hearts towards the Lord, and that I am sure is a good thing.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN....I thunk it over and will respond below:

Righteousness:

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah; Noah was a just (righteous) man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Peter 2:6-8 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; v7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with filthy conversation of the wicked; v8 For that righteous man dwelling among hem in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;

Mark 5:20 For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just (righteous)man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

Righteousness also brings on scorn:

Job 12:4 I am as one mocked of his neighbour, who calleth upon GOD and He answereth him; the just (righteous) upright man is laughed to scorn.

Righteous attempt to do right:

Proberbs 11:23 The desire of the righteous is only good; But the expectation of the wicked is wrath.
Proverbs 14:32 The wicked is driven away in his wickedness; But the righteous hath hope in his death.

The righteous shall flourish:

Psalms 92:12 The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree; He shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.
Psalms 140:13 Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto Thy name; The upright shall dwell in Thy presence.
Psalms 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous; But the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

Notes: The righteous have principals, right from wrong, and attempt to live by them. The blood of Jesus makes us righteous. Joseph could have destroyed Christmas but he was righteous and had faith in God (Law. He could have taken Mary to court, had her disgraced or even killed.
The angel of the Lord told him that she was still a virgin and the child of God.

bluefrog
unregistered

EDEN..Before I get into all of your comments, please go back and read your references.

No one has said anything about a nonbeliever being righteous during the OT or NT times.

You are so wrong about a Christian having no righteousness.

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluefrog wrote
quote:
Jesus did not come to this earth and die in such a brutal fashion so we could be happy.
He also came to make me happy:

Romans 15:13
Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing ...

You continued
quote:
He came to make us righteous. We must come to Him for the same reason, to be made rightous.
Actually, God does not look at our righteousness, but God looks at Jesus's righteousness. There has been only one righteous life lived, and it is Jesus.

For this reason, God has to "account us righteous" simply by believing in Jesus dying in our place. If we believe in Jesus, then God does not look at us, but looks at Jesus who "covers us":

Romans 3:25
Whom God has set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare HIS righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.

When God looks down at all the Christians, God sees, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus...and we under Jesus are absolved:

Romans 4:8
Blessed is the man to whom the LORD will not impute sin.

You further said:
quote:
If we ask Him into our hearts to make us happy, He will not enter and we will not receive the very thing we seek.
If a person realizes what Jesus has done for us, and the person is miserable, and wants to be happy again, if the person believes Jesus can do this for him, then even ask Him to make us happy again (if based on Jesus dying for us), will work just as well as any of the other reasons why people accept Jesus.

bluefrog, you continued
quote:
Once righteousness is achieved and we have repented, then his amazing gifts begin to show up but that is not the calling card.
Regarding the part I bolded, "once righteousness is achieved", where will it end? Who will say, "it is enough" or, "it is not enough"?

It is precisely when we recognize that we do not have any righetousness of our own that we cry out to God, O, wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from this body of death?

Romans 10:3
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Philippians 3:9
And be found in him, not having my own righteousness which is of the law, but that {rigtheousness} which is through the faith of Christ, [b]the righteousness which is of God by faith.

To repeat what bluefrog wrote
quote:
Once righteousness is achieved and we have repented, then his amazing gifts begin to show up but that is not the calling card.
As the song goes, "come just as you are".

love, Eden

bluefrog
unregistered

GLORY BELONGS TO HIM....
Me thinks you got it part right. Depends on how you mean he "Lets" temptations come upon us.

That is a phrase we must be careful with. It could be understood to mean God Tempts Us to Test Us. Taint So.

You went on to explain that He allows the temptor, but that may not be clear to a NC or a GB...(New Christian or Gonna Be)

Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James 1:13;
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: For God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth He any man.

God in His nature is Holy and there is nothing in Him for sin to appeal to.

James 1:1-4;
My brethern, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Divers temptations in this particular verse means different tests and trials which God allows to come our way to strenghten our faith; to prove the quality of our faith.

There are temptations that come before us to make us fall into to sin but they are not from God they are from the adversary. Who is before God daily day and night accusing us and wanting us to fall. (Revelation 12:10)

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

ONEINCHRIST...You started this thread out asking how we test our faith.

Jesus did not come to this earth and die in such a brutal fashion so we could be happy. He came to make us righteous. We must come to Him for the same reason, to be made rightous. If we ask Him into our hearts to make us happy, He will not enter and we will not receive the very thing we seek.

Instead, if we come to Him humbly, seeking mercy, then He will give it. Being disgusted with ourselves and wanting total change as refered to, being born again. Once righteousness is achieved and we have repented,
then his amazing gifts begin to show up but that is not the calling card.

bluefrog
unregistered

ONEINCHRIST...I figured you meant that. Just checkin.
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bluefrog,
To answer your question........I do not believe that "tempting" and "falling away" are synomymous........but I do believe that falling away would have to begin with temptations.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

dear bluefrog, you wrote
quote:
ONEINCHRIST...I was hoping you would say that. We agree, that God does not do the tempting.
A Christian friend and I decided at one point that God does not tempt anyone, but that God does pull His hand of protection away at times for a specific purpose.

But is that Biblical?

love, Eden

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
Well yes, I do~! But wyldb will not back down till you stand erect while backing down.

quote:
b sed
quote:
When the Babylonian multitudes prostrated themselves in worship before the golden god which Nebuchadnezzar had erected, three young Hebrews refused to bow and remained standing, erect and alone.

It's rather unfortunate!

That is all!

The trying of one's faith, worketh patience. But the patience is not of how long one will resist His grace. Otherwise some will think letting it have its perfect work, so that one is wanting nothing, means that one gets to indulge. That however is a 'perversion' of the truth.

[2] My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

[3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

[4] But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Your interpretations are not Biblical.

We must decrease He must Increase.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

ONEINCHRIST...I was hoping you would say that. We agree, that God does not do the tempting.

As for tempting and falling away, I assume that you also feel they are different?

Even Christ was tempted. Some have said that God tempts us just to test us, I don't believe that. God would never tempt us to sin.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Bluefrog,
I believe in the overall scheme of things it is God who allows our adversary, the devil, to challenge our faith....... so then we would not say that it is God who does the tempting.

I think that there are Christians who hold differing views on this subject because there are Christians that do not believe it is possible to fall away.

bluefrog
unregistered

ONEINCHRIST...Who is doing the testing ?

Would you be suggesting that God is doing the testing?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yes, I do~! But wyldb will not back down till you stand erect while backing down.

quote:
b sed
quote:
When the Babylonian multitudes prostrated themselves in worship before the golden god which Nebuchadnezzar had erected, three young Hebrews refused to bow and remained standing, erect and alone.

It's rather unfortunate!

That is all!

The trying of one's faith, worketh patience. But the patience is not of how long one will resist His grace. Otherwise some will think letting it have its perfect work, so that one is wanting nothing, means that one gets to indulge. That however is a 'perversion' of the truth.

[4] But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Wild B,
What makes you so certain that you can blow up my position, and have yours standing all by itself?? If we can reconcile these two verses I believe that we can come to a truce.

---John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

---James 1 vs. 2-4 My brethren count it all joy when ye fall into diverse temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work and entire, wanting nothing

First of all, we can establish that Jesus would not exhort to continue in His Word if it was just an automatic thing .........but rather that what may very well be implied is that there must be a personal committment towards Him that takes precedence over everyone and everything else.

It appears that a committment to Christ and His word is not optional.

Now the verses that you bring into play, I am not sure how they would contradict what I am saying.
To a Christian, who is/remains committed to Jesus, the testing of his faith becomes a growing process. Would you argue with that?

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I don't and neither does the Bible.

James

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Do any of you believe that the test of our faith challenges the genuineness of our committment to be a follower of Jesus?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement