Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Tongue

Author Topic: The Tongue
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me thinks...The tongue is usually a description of that pink thang that hides in our mouth that houses bacteria and usually said to be a WMD, a weapon used against others to lie, backbite and for deceit. James said that if you are never at fault with what you say you are a mature, perfect man, able to keep your whole body in check. I guess that includes mother-in-laws too.

HOWEVER, that pink thang can be used for good too. God tells us to speak to him, and that does not mean think to him. In Hebrews it says Faith comes by Hearing. If it isn't spoken how can it be heard. Christ spoke to Satan, by saying IT IS WRITTEN. Satan quoates scripture too. Haven't you heard him on the radio or TV sometimes, out of context. Sorry, I got off the good tongue speak. We are to speak the gospel, pray, praise, sing, compliment, share the word, all that good stuff too.

Another thought...We are all annointed in different ways (gifts) and sometimes if we try to become someone we aren't it can end up with less than good results, tongue included.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glory belongs to Him wrote
quote:
I too agree the tongue which is sometimes called the little pink tornado can cause a lot of hurt and pain. There is a saying, "That loose lips sinks ships".

I quess a lot of ships have been sunk in the body of Christ as well because of christians that didn't know when to speak, or how to speak or better yet when to keep quiet.

There are times to be quiet, but as Christians we also should "speak the truth", which often means "telling what REALLY happened".

And yes, "those loose lips could sink some ships", but often those ships "deserve being sunk" by the truth of what did REALLY happen, if, the "truth were told".

Or, what are loose lips?

love, Eden

Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too agree the tongue which is sometimes called the little pink tornado can cause a lot of hurt and pain. There is a saying

"That loose lips sinks ships"

I quess a lot of ships have been sunk in the body of Christ as well because of christians that didn't know when to speak, or how to speak or better yet when to keep quiet.

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is said that the tongue is like the rudder of a ship. Thoughts stay within but your spoken word is that from the heart.
Eden
unregistered

TheBeautyofHoliness777 wrote
quote:
Even on the internet Eden a Christian tongue should always be in check! We cannot let our mouth speak in such ways as to be an embarrassment to the body of Christ or to Christ.
The operative word there is "should". In regular churches, it is usually only the pastor or teacher who gets to do the talking, and usually the pastor has had Bible college training and is a "mature" Christian.

But on an Internet church anyone with a keyboard can talk (which is fine with me), but as a result it won't always be "mature" (which is also fine with me). As long as people learn something by speaking up, it's okay with me, even if the presentation isn't Emily Post.

love, Eden

The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your lips would keep form lips five things observe with care "of whom you speak," "to whom you speak," and how, and when , and where."

{Job 2:10 , Psalm 106:33, Proverbs 14:13, 1 Peter 3:10}

Even on the internet Eden a Christian tongue should always be in check! We cannot let our mouth speak in such ways as to be an embarrassment to the body of Christ or to Christ.

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

In a regular church, mostly only the pastor and teacher gets to do the talking. But on an Internet church like this one, everybody can do the talking, whether their tongue is in check, or not. But even from such tongues much can be learned, both what to do, and what not to do.

love, Eden

The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James 1:26; If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

James pictured the mature Christian as being patient in the time of trouble, practicing the truth and having power over the tongue. The human tongue is the smallest yet greatest trouble maker. It kills, destroys and decieves and have lead many astray. James wrote that all who teach the Word face more strict judgment that anyone else.

Teachers should exercise self-control over their tongues because it is easy to commit sins through undisciplined speaking. Much damage can be done with the tongue when one does not surrender themselves completely to God. Churches were members or leaders cannot control their tongues are filled with strife and disharmony. Because sins of the tongue seem to head the list of personal and church problems. The person who is able to discipline his or her tongue not only control his or her own body but also protects the body of Christ.

Whosoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. (Proverbs 21:23)

For whosoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit. (1 Peter 3:10)

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement