Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A Voice from Hell

Author Topic: A Voice from Hell
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The four words of Hell in the King James Version (KJV).

In the Old Testament, the KJV used the English word "hell" to translate the Hebrew word "sheol". But the KJV also translates the Hebrew word "sheol" into other English words, like "grave" and "pit".

In the New Testament (NT), 3 different Greek words were all translated "hell" in the KJV.

These 3 words are: "hades", "gehenna", and "tartaros".

Of these 3 Greek words, "tartaros" occurs only once in the NT and it's the place where the devils are or will be chained.

Of the 3 Greek NT words, the Greek "hades" is the equivalent of the Hebrew world "sheol" in the OT.

In the Greek Septuagint version of the Old Testament (which translation was probably done around the 2nd cent. B.C.), wherever the Hebrew word "sheol" occurred, the Greek Septuagint version of the OT CONSISTENTLY used the Greek word "hades" throughout. "sheol=hades".

Then the third Greek word that the KJV translated into "hell" is the Greek word gehenna.

"Gehenna" is a contraction of, "ge-henna", with "ge" meaning the "territory or possession of", and "henna" apparently referred to the Hebrew "Hinnom" who owned a valley on the south side of Jerusalem known to the Jerusalemites as "the valley of Hinnom", but was known to the Greeks as "ge-henna", or "gehenna".

And a careful search of the KJV word "hell" in a Strong's Concordance will reveal that the VAST MAJORITY OF THE WORD "HELL" that Jesus referred to WOULD HAPPEN IN THE LAST TIME, was the Greek word "gehenna".

And that this word "gehenna" is often followed by the word "gehenna fire" or "hell fire" in the KJV NT, as translated from the Greek.

the ENDTIME "hell" that Jesus uses most is the "gehenna" hell. And why is that so?

Because the "valley of Hinnom" (or "ge-henna" in Greek) was the "refuse heap" of Jerusalem where those in chare "kept a constant fire burning by adding brimstone (sulfur) to the refuse", to make sure "that everything burned up REAL GOOD" so that "pestilence would not break forth" again.

A careful search will show that Jesus almost always referred to a "gehenna fire" that would happen in the last days:

Matthew 5:22
But I say to you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell (gehenna) fire.

Matthew 18:9
And if your eye offends you, pluck it out, and cast it from you: for it is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes but to be cast into hell {gehenna} fire.

The Jews of Jerusalem were very familiar with their "valley of Hinnom garbage dump" on which "sulfur or brimstone" was added to make it burn whitehot, so that no pestilence could rise from it again.

The Jews knew exactly what Jesus was referring to when Jesus repeatedly used the word "gehenna" or "refuse heap" that was going to happen to them.

Revelation 9:17
And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them who sat on the horses, having breastplates of fire and of jacinth and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

Gehenna, just like the refuse heap in the valley of Hinnom.

Malachi 4
1 For, behold, the day comes, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yes, and all who do wickedly, shall become stubble: and the day that comes shall burn them up, says the LORD of hosts, that it will shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But to you who fear My name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and you shall go forth and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And you shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, says the LORD of hosts.

The Christians walk on the "gehenna" brimstone ashes of the unbelievers: "they shall be ashes under your feet on the day that I shall do this", says the LORD.

To summarize, the Greek "hades" always equalled the Hebrew "sheol" in the Old Testament.

And in the New Testament, there are 3 Greek words: "hades", which is the same as the "hades" of the Greek Septuagint and as the "sheol" of the Hebrew/Aramaic Old Testament.

And "tartaros" is where the angels will be or are chained.

And the majority of the endtime "hell" in the NT is the word "gehenna", referring to the "refuse heap in the valley of Hinnom" or "in the ge-Henna" where the sulfur or brimstone made sure that everything was burned to ashes so that "sin would not rise up a second time":

Nahum 1:9
What do you imagine against the LORD? He will make an utter end: affliction shall not rise up the second time.

"sheol", "tartaros", "hades" and "gehenna". It is important to know "which hell in the KJV" is "which Greek word underneath".

love, Eden
"if I 'cath hell' for this post, will I be sent to hades, gehenna, or to tartaros"?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beauty of Holiness777
Advanced Member
Member # 7380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beauty of Holiness777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psalm 9:17
The wicked shall be turned into hell,
And all the nations that forgot God.

Matthew 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 13:41-42
The Son of Man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his Kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

And shall cast them into a furnace of fire; there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25:41-46
Then shall he say unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me not drink.

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him saying, Lord, when saw we thee a hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, and in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall He answer them saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Mark 9:44
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Rev 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up forever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image and whosoever recieveth the mark of his name.

Rev 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and soccerers, and idolaters, and ALL liars, shall have their in the Lake which burneth with fire and brimstone which is "The Second Death."

A Voice from Hell
Oh God, here I am in this place of unrest
Where others have entered in to land of the blest.
God's way of Salvation was preached unto men;
I heard it and heard it again and again.
Why did I not listen and repent of my sins
Turning to Jesus for forgiveness within?
For vain earthly pleasures my soul did I sell
The way I had chosen has brought me to hell.
I wish I was dreaming, but ah, it is true
The way to be saved I had heard and I knew.
I heard God's word pleading with me
I harden my heart and turned from His plea.
The way that was sinful the path that was wide
I chosed it and lived it until my time had end.
God's refuge is Jesus that one that I spurned
HE offererd Salvation but from Him I had turned.
The price I must pay is to horrid to tell-
My life without God led me directly to hell.
From hell and its terrors, oh, flee while you may!
So, come to the Savior; He'll save you today!

Author Unknown

Love and Peace to All [Smile]

--------------------
In God I'am Complete.
I am a "Spiritual Being" living in a physical body.
{Prayer - a force that reaches people and places when we can't}

Posts: 192 | From: God's Universe | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement