Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Is doctrine more important than loving our neighbor?

Author Topic: Is doctrine more important than loving our neighbor?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KnowHim wrote
quote:
The only way to love anyone is to share the truth of the Gospel of Christ with them. If you don't share the truth and instead share a lie then you don't love them. Please that love others don't let them walk blindly in the pit of hell.
Sharing the gospel is definitely an act of love and an important one; but it can hardly be the ONLY WAY? During the day, I also need to smile and be kind to my neighbor and be honest and have integrity and helpfulness and generosity and compassion, all THESE are love too, are they not?

Preach the gospel and love our neighbor as ourself, as much as is in us:

Romans 1:15
So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.

Romans 12:18
If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men.

Love in daily living and help preach the gospel and interceed in prayer for who is on our heart, these are all very lovely things of love.

be blessed, everyone. Eden
OMG [roll on floor]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol wrote:
Love doesn't mean we let our kids eat junk food instead of their vegetables, watch TV instead of doing their homework, or spend time with bad company instead of going to school and church.

Love means we want what is best for them. And that must include sound doctrine.

We love because He loved us first. But does He love false doctrine? No. Should we love false doctrine? No.

------------

[clap2] [thumbsup2] [clap2]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Carol wrote:
Love doesn't mean we let our kids eat junk food instead of their vegetables, watch TV instead of doing their homework, or spend time with bad company instead of going to school and church.

We love because He loved us first. But does He love false doctrine? No. Should we love false doctrine? No.

Amen! Really, this is all that needs to be said. Next question?

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

dear brother becauseHElives, you wrote
quote:
I love and pray for those that disagree with me.... I love even my enemies just as my Savior commanded...
I commend you on nearly always keeping your composure and kindness in your posts. Be blessed in Jesus, my friend. [thumbsup2]

Eden

Eden
unregistered

I do think that doctrine is important, but I do think we Christians need to do a much better job of staying in love when we set forth our points of doctrine:

Isaiah 28:22
Now therefore be not mockers, lest your bands be made strong: for I have heard from the Lord GOD of hosts a consumption, even determined upon the whole earth.

love, Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctrine is important, very important...

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. .... Matthew 24:13

I have fought a good fight I have finished my course I have kept the faith .... 2 Timothy 4:7

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. .... 2 Timothy 2:15

but men and women will not be lost because of wrong doctrine but because of a wrong heart...

Hbr 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Yahweh knows if we love Truth of His Word or if we love our little petty doctrines....do we let doctrine stand in the way of fellowship....

do we let doctrine divide us....

read ....Ephesians 4

1I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

2With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

3Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

7But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

to name a few petty doctrines....

the doctrine of "Once saved always saved"...

the doctrine of "the Trinity"

the doctrine of "the Rapture"

I am not putting anyone down that believes any of he above but I am saying they are not easy understood doctrines....

but people let these doctrines divide the body of Yahshua....

pre-tribulationist, mid-tribulationist, post-tribulationist, or amillinist really does not matter if you are not ready when He returns...

and I believe in the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit but I do not believe it the way most denominations teach it, the three are one but they are not co-equal....

and I believe in Security of the believer but not to the exclusion of a narrow path that Yahshua said the believer must travel and that daily repentance and self examination is part of the new life in Christ.

but more important than all I believe, my daily prayer is Father don't let me be deceived, let me see and teach the Truth no matter what it cost.

there is a great falling away in the Church taking place at this very moment, I personally don't understand how you can fall from something you were never a part of.... I love and pray for those that disagree with me.... I love even my enemies just as my Savior commanded...

I pray you understand the heart of my post....

doctrine will fail you but love will never fail....

in Christ Dale

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the heart can 'be rooted' in things that seem right in themselves, and the believer laboring unto it. But it still misses the mark! There is a place for the heart to be rooted, and one should find it if they want to be fruitful; if they want to be used of HIM; if HE would live, rather than they.

"For all of your intentions are as dirty rags." His are pure!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mr. Eden sez!
quote:
Regarding the word I bolded, the Bible word translated "holy" means "to be set apart unto God".

To be set apart means to be sanctified unto him. If one is not 'set apart', the Father is not able to use him. One can be saved, yet 'unusable', even if he or she is trying to labor for Him.

• 1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

The preceeding verse is all it takes to realize what every Christian needs to know, that if the regenerated believer's heart is not rooted in Jesus, but rather is rooted in the things of the world, "the love of the Father cannot flow through him." The love of the Father is therefore blocked! So this goes to what knowhim said, to be sure. Because the believer cannot effectively 'share' the gospel of Jesus with others, however well meaning he or she is, because the annonting of the Spirit is frustrated by his or her rebellious, or blind, heart condition. It is a matter of the heart.

Yet a person whose heart has roots in the Spirit of God, through Jesus Christ, can be used of Him in ways unimagined, great or small. One who in His heart has "sought first the King of the Kingdom of God," will find him or herself 'used' of God, as reward for their obedience, though at times they may not even be aware!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
I'm still puzzled how fighting/arguing/giggling over doctrine is more than important than loving our neighbor:

love, Eden

One word ~ Oxymoron

Does not one that maintains the integrity of Gods Word most correctly better show a non-faltering Eternal Love of his Neighbor and his house?

Let us consider....

Rom.10

[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2Cor.6

[7] By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,

Eph.5

[26] That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

1Thes.4

[15] For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Tim.4

[5] For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Heb.1

[3] Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Heb.11

[3] Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

1Pet.1

[23] Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

2Pet.3

[5] For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 2 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way to love anyone is to share the truth of the Gospel of Christ with them. If you don't share the truth and instead share a lie then you don't love them. Please that love others don't let them walk blindly in the the pit of hell.

That is the problem with the modern day institutionalized religious machine today.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all, good question Eden...

The heart of every issue is the issue of the heart!

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Over the years of serving the Lord and studying His Word, I have observed a very important principle and it is this....

A man who's heart is right toward the Lord and his neighbors may not have a completely right understanding of doctrine but that person with a right heart (a heart that desires to obey the Heavenly Father in all things, a teachable heart)...this person is the only person that is right before Yahweh.

Yahweh is not looking for our doctrine to be right, He is looking for hearts that have the Blood of His Son applied...

the letter of the Law (doctrine) brings death but the Spirit of doctrine (Law) brings life....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Michael Harrison wrote
quote:
Holiness is an attitude of the heart that occurs when it discovers the revelation that Christ is their life, and Holiness is imparted to one who believes in Him 'wholly'. Amen.
Regarding the word I bolded, the Bible word translated "holy" means "to be set apart unto God".

To be sure, before one can become "holy" or "set apart unto God", one first has to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and all what that entails.

But this belief is only the first step to being, or rather, becoming, "holy" or "set apart unto God".

We humans have many categories or facets which make up our life: music, books, entertainment, honesty-level, intellectual interests, and others.

Each one of these areas of our life needs to separately become "holy" or "set apart unto God". It is not just that "I believe" and therefore I am now "holy" or "set apart unto God". To become set apart unto God is a gradual process.

No. If we continue with the Lord, the Word of God penetrates into each of the areas of our life, and to the extent that we see the value of making these areas "Christian areas", to that extent to we become more and more "holy" or "set apart unto God", and indeed, a usable vessel by God, in those areas.

love, Eden

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Well tell your daughter hello, bettylouise. I got up the nerve to go to a United Pentecostal church not too long ago. Everybody said, "Don't go there. It's just a bunch of oneness people. They are confused." Well, I found it just to be a Pentecostal church.

I don't think they would embrace me as one of theirs, since I sit there like a knot on a pew while they are dancing in the Holy Ghost. But if they knew the peace within which I am waiting for them to discover. Yet I am as aware of the Holy Ghost as they are (got Him the same way). What rule says that if one has the Holy Ghost and is aware of the Holy Ghost, they will run in the isles, or jump chairs? Because that is what they understand, and look for as evidence. Everybody looks to see if others are birds of the same feather.

But I find their doctrine slightly strange at a few points. However, on the dress code, and makeup rules, hair length etc. I do not dissagree that it may be good to have such modest ideals, but it does not make them Holy to follow that standard. That is far away from what holiness is. Still, if one is Holy, it is likely that they will conform to similar principles, although not altogether for sure.

But truth of the matter is that such legalistic views distract from, or replace what God is looking for in obedience, that they may be Holy. It is well meaning, but it misses the mark. It is ok, but it doesn't accomplish nary a thing towards Holiness. Holiness is an attitude of the heart that occurs when it discovers the revelation that Christ is their life, and Holiness is imparted to one who believes in Him 'wholly'. Amen.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

If ye being evil know how to give good gifts...

So, we are evil, that is apart from full surrender to God, we are. And what we think is love, is actually something carnal that hinders Him. God IS Love, and HE does it. We, "love those who love us." That should prove it. Think you are able to love? Love the unlovely. You'll find that if you don't see thouugh His eyes, it'll be hard, or probably impossible. If we see thorough His eyes, with HIs heart, as those who are under the Cross, we'll realze His love for others, which we cannot do.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think that I can agree that God has just plain flat out not given humans the capacity to love....period. Though, I would agree that it takes Gods help (through His Word and by His spirit) with our cooperation in order to achieve agape love.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Michael is on track. Love proceeds from God, and is active. Love and truth go hand in hand. How can the truth not reveal love, and how can love not reveal the truth. Love cannot remain silent about the truth.

Truth is the main difference between those who are lost, and those who are saved. Are we not all sinners in need of God's forgiveness. Yet those who accept the truth of their condition, and their need of a Savior, who is Jesus Christ, will be saved. Those who will not, will not be saved.

Just as love is progressive, so is truth. As we learn more about God through His word, our love grows along with our increased knowledge of truth. It is the Devil's purpose to confuse our understanding of the word of God, and therefore our understanding of His charecter also. It is by beholding God that we become changed. God is truth, therefore when we believe error, we cannot see Him as He is. Thus the scripture says-

II Th 2:8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: 9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. 13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

I Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

I Jn 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. 13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Y. b. in C. Keith

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Matthew 7:15(NIV)

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.”

The Old Testament frequently mentions false prophets (see 2 Kings 3:13; Isaiah 44:25; Jeremiah 23:16; Ezekiel 13:2-3; Micah 3:5; Zechariah 13:2). False prophets claimed to receive messages from God, but they prophesied only what the king and the people wanted to hear. False teachers are just as common today. Jesus says to watch out for those whose words sound religious but who are motivated by money, fame, or power. These false prophets will come in among the believers like wolves covered in sheep pelts, pretending to be sheep, hoping to go unnoticed as they do their damage. But Jesus described these people as ferocious wolves. Just as the false prophets arose from God’s people, Israel, so false prophets and false teachers would later come out from among the believers and from the church. Jesus warned his followers that false prophets would come (see also 24:11; Mark 13:22-23). Very shortly, these words began to come true. False teachers infiltrated the early churches just as the gospel message was spreading (see Acts 20:29; 2 Corinthians 11:11-15; 2 Timothy 2:14-19; 2 Peter 2:1-3, 17-22; 1 John 2:18, 22; 4:1-6). While Jesus did not elaborate on the form of their false teaching, it follows from the context that they would teach a way of salvation that did not include a narrow gate and a hard road (7:13-14). Indeed, many of the false teachers about whom Peter, John, and Paul later warned were teaching such a message.

(Life Application Bible Commentary: Matthew)

Titus 3:10 - 11 (NLT)
10If people are causing divisions among you, give a first and second warning. After that, have nothing more to do with them. 11For people like that have turned away from the truth, and their own sins condemn them.

Acts 20:28 - 30 (NLT)
28“So guard yourselves and God’s people. Feed and shepherd God’s flock—his church, purchased with his own blood—over which the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders. 29I know that false teachers, like vicious wolves, will come in among you after I leave, not sparing the flock. 30Even some men from your own group will rise up and distort the truth in order to draw a following.

Galatians 4:17 (NLT)
17Those false teachers are so eager to win your favor, but their intentions are not good. They are trying to shut you off from me so that you will pay attention only to them.

1 Timothy 4:1 - 2 (NLT)
1Now the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some will turn away from the true faith; they will follow deceptive spirits and teachings that come from demons. 2These people are hypocrites and liars, and their consciences are dead.

2 Peter 2:1 (NLT)
1But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves.

2 Peter 2:10 - 13 (NLT)
10He is especially hard on those who follow their own twisted sexual desire, and who despise authority. These people are proud and arrogant, daring even to scoff at supernatural beings without so much as trembling. 11But the angels, who are far greater in power and strength, do not dare to bring from the Lord a charge of blasphemy against those supernatural beings. 12These false teachers are like unthinking animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed. They scoff at things they do not understand, and like animals, they will be destroyed. 13Their destruction is their reward for the harm they have done. They love to indulge in evil pleasures in broad daylight. They are a disgrace and a stain among you. They delight in deception even as they eat with you in your fellowship meals.

Jude 1:3 - 4 (NLT)
3Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. 4I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches, saying that God’s marvelous grace allows us to live immoral lives. The condemnation of such people was recorded long ago, for they have denied our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:12 - 15 (NLT)
I will continue doing what I have always done. This will undercut those who are looking for an opportunity to boast that their work is just like ours. 13These people are false apostles. They are deceitful workers who disguise themselves as apostles of Christ. 14But I am not surprised! Even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15So it is no wonder that his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. In the end they will get the punishment their wicked deeds deserve.

John 10:1 - 10 (NLT)
1“I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! 2But the one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. 5They won’t follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don’t know his voice.”

6Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn’t understand what he meant, 7so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. 9Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. 10The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.

2 Corinthians 6:6 - 10 (NLT)
6We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love. 7We faithfully preach the truth. God’s power is working in us. We use the weapons of righteousness in the right hand for attack and the left hand for defense. 8We serve God whether people honor us or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors. 9We are ignored, even though we are well known. We live close to death, but we are still alive. We have been beaten, but we have not been killed. 10Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to others. We own nothing, and yet we have everything.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

[Bible]

Is doctrine more important? It is a hard question to answer because the fact of the matter is that we cannot love. And love is in the doctrine if we have it right. Because God IS love - not, 'has' love. And we cannot love, but God does, if we are not deceived by thinking that we can do it. It is simply more, let go and let God be who HE is. Is does! And we are carried with it, and function by it!

[Prayer]

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden,
Interesting question. I do believe it is extremely important to believe God at His Word---that being a sure indicator of faith.......

But I have a feeling you are coming from a slightly different angle on your question and are possibly suggesting something so true.

Really, what is faith without love?

Keep the faith my friend, I have joy to see your diligence in the things of God. Loving in a manner that God desires is what glorifies our savior.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, brother. I just realized you are a male. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

I believe when it comes to doctrine most times, it should not be a dividing point. Our Pastor is teaching on Arminianism and Calvinism the next couple of weeks. He made it clear that he welcomes believers of both in our Church and that both can be backed up with scriptures. I do believe when it comes to false doctrine, that we must stand up and speak the truth. Universal salvation is a lie and must be denied. I also will stand up to our brothers and sisters in the SDA, when they tell me I am going to hell for going to Church on Sunday.
My daughter goes to United Pentecostal Church. They do not believe in wearing pants or cutting your hair. I do not argue with her over those issues. I have OA in my hands and shoulders and even she will admit that short hair is easier for me to deal with and I wear pants because I am not steady on my feet and walk with a cane. Some issues we can put aside and just love each other. False Gospel, especially that which gives people false security should be corrected.
God bless you. I love you, Sister.
betty

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

I'm still puzzled how fighting/arguing/giggling over doctrine is more than important than loving our neighbor:

Leviticus 19:18
You shall not avenge nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

James 2:8
If you fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, You shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well.

Where did the LORD or the Holy Spirit or the Lord Jesus say: "Defend My doctrine unto death or I shall kill the heretics Myself as soon as you have pointed them out to Me?"

No, no no. The Bible says, Love the LORD God with all your heart, and love your neighbor as yourself.

I am currently reading Billy Graham's autobiography and he says he came to point of reaching out to as many church demoninations as he could to undergird his tent meetings...and I agree with that. Do you?

love, Eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement