Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » In Vain - the 3rd Commandment

Author Topic: In Vain - the 3rd Commandment
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably is correct!!!

• Mat 10:24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
    Mat 10:25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord.

To be 'as his Lord' in Christ's Kingdom terms, one must be so 'by' His Spirit, as though one together, by His Spirit. For the servant to be 'as' his Lord, means for the Lord to be who he is through that one. Therefore who doeth the works:

• Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

So it is not by what we do, but what HE by His Spirit does, which HE has placed 'in' us. For we are HIS ambassidors, not as though separate from Him, but filled by the Spirit of Him. And if we are 'dead', then we are used by the Spirit to the accomplishing of HIS will.

• 2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Except ye be reconciled, ye are not ambassidors. YE are 'Evil'. For it is not what you do for Him, but what one does 'by' His Spirit.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael Harrison wrote, probably to Eden
quote:
Have you learned what Lord means yet?
yes. servant or doulos slave? Or a little bit of both?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Nelsons Bible Dictionary:

"The divine name Yahweh is usually TRANSLATED "Lord"n English versions of the Bible, because it became a Practice in late Old Testament JUDAISM NOT to Prounounce the sacred name YHWH/YHVH, but to say instead "my Lord" (Adonai)- a practice still used today in the synagogue.

When the vowels of Adonai were attached to the consonants YHWH in the medieval period, the word Yahweh resulted. Today, many Christians use the name Yahweh, the more original pronunciation, not hesitating to name the divine name since Jesus taught believers to speak in a familiar way to God."

You see, its not about how the titles God and Lord are written down with capital letters, our God has a Name. Thats the point.

The Jews refuse to call on His name, now the Catholics have just in recent days decided to take Yahweh out of some of their old liturgical hymns as to not OFFEND the Jews.

Yahweh=God Saves

Again from Nelsons Bible Dictionary:

"In the ancient world, knowing anothers name was a special privilege that offered access to that persons thought and life."

We read in John 17:6 where Yeshua prays to the Father and says this:

"I have MANIFESTED Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world."

These men already knew the Father as Adonai(Lord)
but Yeshua manifested to them His Name YHVH.Remember, as stated above, "It became a practice in Old Testament Judaisim not to Pronounce the sacred name YHVH."

Moving on in the prayer to verse 26:

"And I have declared to them Your Name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them and I in them."

It was the Jews of the Old Test times that decided we should not pronounce the name of Yahweh. But why not?

Whoever calls upon the NAME of the Lord(Adonai) shall be saved.

We read in Proverbs 30:4

"What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know?

We read in Jeremiah 23:27

"who try to make My people forget My Name by their dreams which everyone tells his neighbor, as their fathers forgot My Name for Baal.

This was during the time the Name Yahweh was first being avoided by the Jews, and they started substituting the tern "Adonai". The babylonians were worshipping the sun with the name "Baal" meaning "Lord".

We read in 2nd Samuel 6:2

And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from Baale Judah to bring up from there the ark of God, whose name is called by the Name, the Lord of Hosts.

Does anyone see it?

It should read-
And David arose and went with all the people who were with him from Baale Judah to bring up from there the ark of God, whose name is called YAHWEH, the Lord of Hosts.

Now do you see it?

The English versions use "whose name is called by the Name-

Notice the word Name is Capitalized, the reason its capitalized is because the meaning here is He has a Name. Not just a title. But the Jews would not put this name down in writing as disacussed earlier in my post.

It is very offensive to a Jewish person who does not know Yeshua as savior if someone refers to God by His name Yah, Yahweh, Jehovah. You may call Him God but not write God but write G-d. See how ridiculous this is?

You may call Him Lord, but do not write it Lord but rather L-rd. Again ridiculous.

You may write YHVH But do NOT pronounce it Yah or Yahweh.

again, ridiculous, when sooo many passages tell us to call upon His name, not write it out, but verbalize it, call it out. Shout it out. Amen

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/1_faqs.html

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you learned what Lord means yet?
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

KJV readers should be aware of the following renderings in the KJV:

Lord = always Adonai, the absolute owner of the earth.

LORD = always YHWH or Jehovah, the covenant name of God with His people Israel

God = always Elohim, the Creator of heaven and earth

Now, this is the tricky one:

Lord GOD = always Adonai YHWH (note that GOD is in all caps). Normally, Adonai would be translated Lord and YHWH would be translated LORD, but in the compound Adonai YHWH, that would translate to the awkward Lord LORD, so the KJV translators decided to translate Adonai YHWH as Lord GOD (with GOD in all caps).

It is always like that in the KJV. Know and understand.

love, Eden

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psalm 68:4

Sing to God, sing praises to His Name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, By His Name YAH, and rejoice before Him.

Yah is the short form of Yahweh, the covenant NAME of God.

Ever wonder why HalleluYah is means the same thing in all languages?

Hallel meaning Praise the Name or Praise El (God)
Yah

Or praise Yah God.

God. Lord, are titles, not a name.

For instance, there are many lords, (especially in european countries) But Yeshua is the Lord of lords.

There are many kings, but Yeshua is the King of kings.

There are many gods, but Yah is The One True God.

YHVH, meaning Yod-Hey-Vav-Hey

Yod=Yeshua
Hey=Holy Spirit(breath)
Vav=God, the Staff
Hey=Holy Spirit

In order to get to the Father you have to go thru Yeshua by the Spirit to reach God the Father who is Spirit.

Yod represents in Hebrew "Let it Be"
Hey represents in Hebrew "The Spirit that connects"
Vav represents in Hebrew "And it was so/done"

There is something to His name, not His title for there is no other Name under Heaven which one can be saved.

Shalom

The last Hey in YHVH

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure did. We moved to Washington State and lived there for 5 years and then moved back to Houston, 3 months ago.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Houston Texas? Did you grow up there?
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

http://www.ldolphin.org/Names.html

The Names of God

by Lambert Dolphin

Old Testament (The Hebrew Scriptures, or Tanach):

EL: God ("mighty, strong, prominent") used 250 times in the OT See Gen. 7:1, 28:3, 35:11; Nu. 23:22; Josh. 3:10; 2 Sam. 22:31, 32; Neh. 1:5, 9:32; Isa. 9:6; Ezek. 10:5. El is linguistically equivalent to the Moslem "Allah," but the attributes of Allah in Islam are entirely different from those of the God of the Hebrews. ELAH is Aramaic, "god." Elah appears in the Hebrew Bible in Jer. 10:11 (which is in Aramaic, and is plural, "gods"). In Daniel (the Aramaic sections) Elah is used both of pagan gods, and of the true God, also plural. Elah is equivalent to the Hebrew Eloah which some think is dual; Elohim is three or more. The gods of the nations are called "elohim." The origin of Eloah is obscure. Elohim is the more common plural form of El. Eloah is used 41 times in Job between 3:4 and 40:2, but fewer than 15 times elsewhere in the OT. See the Catholic Encyclopedia entry on Elohim.

ELOHIM: God (a plural noun, more than two, used with singular verbs); Elohim occurs 2,570 times in the OT, 32 times in Gen. 1. God as Creator, Preserver, Transcendent, Mighty and Strong. Eccl., Dan. Jonah use Elohim almost exclusively. See Gen. 17:7, 6:18, 9:15, 50:24; I Kings 8:23; Jer. 31:33; Isa. 40:1.

EL SHADDAI: God Almighty or "God All Sufficient." 48 times in the OT, 31 times in Job. First used in Gen. 17:1, 2. (Gen. 31:29, 49:24, 25; Prov. 3:27; Micah 2:1; Isa. 60:15, 16, 66:10-13; Ruth 1:20, 21) In Rev. 16:7, "Lord God the Almighty." The Septuagint uses Greek "ikanos" meaning "all-sufficient" or "self-sufficient." The idols of the heathen are called "sheddim."

ADONAI: Lord in our English Bibles (Capitol letter 'L ', lower case, 'ord') (Adonai is plural, the sing. is "adon"). "Master'' or "Lord" 300 times in the OT always plural when referring to God, when sing. the reference is to a human lord. Used 215 times to refer to men. First use of Adonai, Gen. 15:2. (Ex. 4:10; Judges 6:15; 2 Sam. 7:18-20; Ps. 8, 114:7, 135:5, 141:8, 109:21-28). Heavy use in Isaiah (Adonai Jehovah). 200 times by Ezekiel. Ten times in

--------------------

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

[happyhappy] There are people here who are really good with the names of God. Where are they? I might learn something if I see it enough.
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jrlaw, At John 17:6 Jesus says he made the Fathers name manifest ( known ). Further on in the ot God does tell Moses his personal name YHWH = Jehovah. If i said Matt 16: 1-6 my error.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

I'll go along with that!
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Why do some people call out to Jesus when they are about to die and others do not? I think the answer lies in the Holy Spirit leading them or not. The Bible says that if we keep refusing the Holy Spirit, there will come a time when the Holy Spirit will cease to deal with us. When you have a group of people facing death, there will be those who are still open to hear the Holy Spirit and others who have hardened their hearts where they no longer hear the Holy Spirit call them. My understanding is at this point the Holy Spirit will cease to call them.
betty

--------------------

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read an article once in Guidepost! There had been a plane wreck. A man, who was a Christian (who was also writing the article) came out of the plane through a hole in the roof. It was higher than he could reach so he didn't really know how he got out. But he described how it was before he left the plane. People who were trapped, or injured beyond help he was amazed to discover, were not pleading for help from God, but rather were cursing Him. I found it spooky, as apparently did he. So one doesn't know what goes on in a foxhole necessarily. (Just to mention the mystery of iniquity, and a good reason to pray.)

Now, when I think of 911, I recall that I was watching it unfold live. I don't remember praying for individuals! I was too, something. It is unlike me. When I think of the film footage that was put together after the event! In one instance hoplessly confused firemen could not exit the first floor of the building in one direction. Even as they were talking, there were the sounds of thumps, and thuds just beyond them, depicting real bodies hitting the ground. These had either decided to cut the suffering short, or they inadvertently stumbled out of a shattered window. I suffer with them now. And we will never know if they simply stepped out not knowing where they were stepping. But I have been at times wrapped up in their lives, seeing them wake up, and prepare to go to work, imagining them thinking of what they had to do that day, or maybe already thinking where they were going to eat lunch. It was just another day! What else was there to think about? They didn't just wake up and go to work thinking that something which has never happened in history was going to befall them that day. In fact, they were thinking, whether it was in their conscience mind or not, of another day in the long journey which would end with their retirement.

jrlaw
Advanced Member
Member # 7285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrlaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God's name is not mentioned in John 17:1-6. If Jesus revealed a name to us, what is it? I know of no new information in the New Testament regarding His name. What we substitute for a name comes from the Old Testament.

John 17:6 states "I have revealed you ...." NIV. Other translations use "revealed your name". It is clear from the context here that the name is not what is revealed. Jesus revealed His father to us - not His father's name.

The fact that God does not have a name is not the subject of this post, but it seems to have received all of the attention. Moses asked the question:

Exodus 13:5 "Do not come closer," He said. "Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then He continued, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." Moses hid his face because he was afraid to look at God.

13 Then Moses asked God, "If I go to the Israelites and say to them: The God of your fathers has sent me to you, and they ask me, 'What is His name?' what should I tell them?"

14 God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you." 15 God also said to Moses, "Say this to the Israelites: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever; this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.

God did not introduce himself with a name. He simply told Moses that he was God. Moses knew the people would need a name, (just as you need one now). And so we are commanded to use "I AM WHO I AM" for His name forever and this is how every generation is to remember it.

And so this issue is just semantics. When God was asked his name, He said something to the effect of "I don't really have one but Moses, understanding your simple human perspective of me and my creation, go ahead and call me this . . ."

Somehow the subject of my post is lost. It was not too important - I just wanted to remind people that asking God to damn evil was the opposite of using His name in vain.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Hi, kjw47, you wrote
quote:
Hi Eden, i didnt write that quote.
You are right. The poster's name (jrlaw) was a little bit similar to yours (kjw47) and I mistook you for him/her. Sorry.

love, Eden

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Friend, Jesus taught Gods personal name as well. John 17: 1-6
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Hi Eden, i didnt write that quote.
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Eden, when they pray to Him they ue the title God or Lord

Example:

Baruch Hashem Adonai= Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

They pray -God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, be blessed this day.

But they refer to God as Hashem when talking about Him to someone else.

Because they believe we dont know the correct pronunciation of His name YHVH, they wont even call Him Yahweh. They believe to do so would be blasphmeous or using His name in vain.

But when they pray, they use the titles Lord and God same as we Christians do.

Some use the YHVH as Yod Hey Vav Hey (Yahweh in our English because we use vowels).

They refer to Yahweh as "God of our fathers ect..

But Hashem, meaning "The name" in Hebrew thought, covers all the names that He is.

Not just Abba, but all the other attributes/names that He has as well.

Shalom

Eden
unregistered

Yahsway wrote
quote:
But they (the Jews) also call Him "Hashem" meaning "The Name"

And when you think about it, That alone encompasses all His atrributes and name.

I don't think "the Name" can be very pleasing to the God of Israel. Since we are made in the image and likeness of God, it would be the same as saying to our earthly father, "I revere you and am in awe of you, so I am only going to call you 'the name', ok? I hope you don't mind.

So when daddy comes home from work, all the kids say, as daddy walks up the driveway, "here comes the name!" I don't think that would be very pleasing to our father, and neither can it be to our heavenly Father. Sons and daughters of God don't talk that way to their Parents.

love, Eden

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shalom! [Smile]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Zeena, not everyone. Ive been to many countries where they have asked hubby and i which god do you worship?

So the title there is not in their understanding.

Maybe here in the West, yes. But not so in other parts of the world. Different cultures ya know.

Shabbat Shalom

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yahsway:
I prefer to call Him Jesus THE Christ. meaning The annointed One.

In this way, i feel like i am identifying who He really Is. But thats just a personal thing for me.

Me too, though people do understand when you refer to both His Name and Title [Smile]

Acts 4:10-12
Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

HallaluYah. This means the same thing in ALL languages.

It means "Praise the Name of Yah"

God is a title only, not His name. There are many gods. I like to identify the One I worship.

He is Yahweh, meaning Yah saves. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The Jews spell the title G-D, but they pronounce it as we do "God"

But they also call Him "Hashem" meaning "The Name"

And when you think about it, That alone encompasses all His atrributes and name.

For in Hashem, "The Name" He is many things.

He is my provider, my comforter, my hope, my help, my salvation,my abba, ect...

Also let me add this. And its just a personal thing for me. I do not call Jesus- "Jesus Christ"

because Christ is not His Last name.

I prefer to call Him Jesus THE Christ. meaning The annointed One.

In this way, i feel like i am identifying who He really Is. But thats just a personal thing for me.

Since the Hebrew language does not use vowels, and they write Gods name as YHVH, that might be why they write the title God as G_D. I dont know, i am assuming this.

My husband says its out of respect for His name that they do this, but i keep telling him that God is not His name but is a title only.

For there are many gods in the world, but there is only One I Am-meaning YHVH or Yahweh.

HallaluYAH! Praise Hashem (The Name) of Yah!

Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, kjw47, you wrote
quote:
In actuality, out of respect for the Lord, we should not even attempt to assign a moniker. You have to respect Judaism in this regard. They typically won't even put the word "G_d" completely in print.
I don't agree. A God of Love is very pleased when we call Him by His Name, just as any father on earth is.

What? Is God so small that He cannot handle being called by a Loving Name, which He Himself as designated?

Is God an Authoritarian or Control Freak that He derives pleasure from constantly reminding us of "how G-R-E-A-T He is" by forbidding us to use a loving name with Him?

Absolutely not. A God of Love gets NO pleasure from having us call Him "G_d". That would be the same as us addressing our earthly loving father as "D_d" all the time.

Love is intimacy and using personal names is part of intimacy. God loves it when we use His Name; what pleasure can God possibly derive from "G_d"? None that I can see.

And since Jesus and the Holy Spirit are also God, perhaps we should then also use "J_s_s" and "H_l_ Sp_r_t" (Jss and Hl Sprt)...O yea...

Psalm 68:4
Sing unto God, sing praises to His Name: extol Him who rides upon the heavens by His name JAH, and rejoice before Him.

love, _d_n

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

My personal revelation of taking the Name of the Lord in vain [not to diminish that which has already been said in the above, mind you] is to say you are a Christian, when you are not.

To say that Jesus is your Life, when you are clearly under sin.

--------------------

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

To take Gods name in vain means: If you are representing God according to your words, then one must also follow through by his actions. God didnt ask us for a trip to church once a week. He asked for our whole heart, soul, and mind. 24/7 that means. That is why it is so important for one to learn and apply every utterance as Jesus taught us to do. Actions prove the words.
jrlaw
Advanced Member
Member # 7285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrlaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE THIRD COMMANDMENT

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain . . . " KJV

There is a general misunderstanding of this Commandment that centers around the word "vain". Here are several translations:

"You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain . . . " WEB
"Thou shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain . . . " ASV
You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God . . . " NRSV
"Do not use my name for evil purposes . . . " TEV
In Vain
Vain \Vain\, n. Vanity; emptiness; -- now used only in the phrase in vain.

In vain, to no purpose; without effect; ineffectually.
In vain doth valor bleed.'' --Milton.
In vain they do worship me.'' --Matt. xv. 9.

To take the name of God in vain, to use the name of God with levity or profaneness.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

HIS NAME

Our Lord God actually has no name, and He made the point quite clear to Moses. The Lord knew we would misuse any name given and sure enough we have. Moses insisted on a name, (one reason his hair turned white), and so our Lord told him to carefully use the term "I am that I am" for His name. For some reason we need to call Him by a name and so for the last 5000 years we use Yahweh or Jehovah which simply mean "I am". In actuality, out of respect for the Lord, we should not even attempt to assign a moniker. You have to respect Judaism in this regard. They typically won't even put the word "G_d" completely in print.

Having said this, why are we not to take His name (something He does not have), in vain? Well, the answer is simple. He knew, (the sinners that we are), we would call Him something and misuse our reference to Him - hence the Commandment.

Taking the moniker of God in vain would be to mock God or to belittle Him or His power. To say He does not exist is also a violation of the Third Commandment.

It should be noted that Muslims, (unwitting followers of Satan), take vain use of their pagan god's name quite seriously. They will kill you in the name of the moon god of Muhammad's tribe, (Allah). Because any cursory study of the religion reveals these facts, Muslims are in constant and knowing violation of the Third Commandment. Repent or be damned.

NO ATHEISTS IN A FOXHOLE

What is said in foxholes will not be repeated here, but it can be reasonably assured that our Lord's moniker has never been taken in vain from a foxhole. Numerous requests have been made of our Lord to damn people or objects that might be coming toward the foxhole. Is this wrong? The shortest possible answer is "absolutely not!".

All mankind, even the atheists, will vociferously acknowledge the existence of God when threatened. Why is this? Where did this often involuntary and not necessarily learned response come from?

Deep inside the most bitter atheist or agnostic, lies the understanding that we were created by a being of great power, yes a, (the), God. Scare any atheist enough and he will gladly acknowledge God by calling on His power. When the adrenalin wears off and the rebellious spirit of the atheist regains control of body functions, he may again deny God's existence. If this happens, you have my permission to scare that atheist again to make the point; (the reaction is repeatable).

SUMMARY

We are not to belittle God or make light of Him or use His moniker in any improper way. I do not condone cursing but think about it; by asking God to damn something we are simply acknowledging His power. If we ask Him to damn another driver for some stupid stunt, (a stunt we never pulled), then we are wrong. If we ask Him to damn evil, (evil does exist), is that not a prayer that acknowledges His power to do what the Bible states He will do?

God's will be done; "full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes".

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement