Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » TEACH NO OTHER DOCTRINE

Author Topic: TEACH NO OTHER DOCTRINE
jrlaw
Advanced Member
Member # 7285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrlaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another great post by WildB!
Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden, Yes they knew of all 3. But only gave worship to Yhwh. They never worshipped the son, or spirit.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, kjw47, you wrote
quote:
The Jewish people all throughout the OT knew nothing of a trinity God, they served a mono God.
The Jewish people, or more correctly, the Israelites, knew of God (Elohim) and they knew of YHWH (Jehovah) and they knew that God had a SON:

Psalm 2:12
Kiss the Son, lest He be angry and you perish from the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him.

And the Israeliets knew about the Spirit of God:

1 Samuel 10
10 And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them.

So the Israelites may not used the term "trinity" but the Israelites definitely knew there were 3 Entities involved, namely YHWH, the Son, and the Spirit of God.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Icon 12 posted      Profile for kjw47         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty, Yes there is a time for war, When God wills it to be. Never Would God let it be Gods people vs Gods people. It never occured and will never occur. Men must choose, the will of men, or the will of God. Jesus said the true religion would be marked by love. And its like i said in the 4 wars i mentioned. How can Gods followers be so naive to the will of God. And in reality if the german clergy stood up for God against Hitler, he wouldnt have had much of an army. Thus never would have been the war to start with. And How can true followers of God be on the wrong side against the right side, or is it both sides are wrong? Not the Jesus i read about.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke 12:51-53

“Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.” (NIV)

Jesus promises peace, but it is not the kind of peace the world gives or tries to give (John 14:27). Peace on earth, universal peace, will not come until Jesus’ second coming when evil is destroyed and he reigns forever . Instead, Jesus’ first coming and the time now as believers await his return is a time of division between God’s forces and Satan’s forces. There is no middle ground with Jesus. Because he demands a response, intimate groups may be torn apart when some choose to follow him and others refuse to do so. Loyalties must be declared and commitments made, sometimes to the point of severing relationships with those who reject Jesus or who try to substitute him with someone else.

Micah also prophesied about these kind of divisive conditions (Micah 7:6). Jesus explained the response to his call—conflict will arise between those who respond and those who do not. The reaction may be violent. In the early church, Jews who became Christians were excommunicated from the synagogues and often shunned by their families. Even today, the road is difficult for Jews or Muslims who turn to Christ. Their own family members become their worst enemies. Jesus did not come to make such divisions happen, yet his coming, his words, and his call inevitably will cause conflict between those who accept him and those who reject him.

(Life Application Bible Commentary: Luke)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRINITY

GOD IS ONE AND THREE

“This is what the LORD says—Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.”

ISAIAH 44:6

The Old Testament constantly insists that there is only one God, the self-revealed Creator, who must be worshiped and loved exclusively (Deut. 6:4-5; Isa. 44:6-45:25). The New Testament agrees (Mark 12:29-30; 1 Cor. 8:4; Eph. 4:6; 1 Tim. 2:5) but speaks of three personal agents, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, working together in the manner of a team to bring about salvation (Rom. 8; Eph. 1:3-14; 2 Thess. 2:13-14; 1 Pet. 1:2). The historic formulation of the Trinity (derived from the Latin word trinitas, meaning “threeness”) seeks to circumscribe and safeguard this mystery (not explain it; that is beyond us), and it confronts us with perhaps the most difficult thought that the human mind has ever been asked to handle. It is not easy; but it is true.

The doctrine springs from the facts that the New Testament historians report, and from the revelatory teaching that, humanly speaking, grew out of these facts. Jesus, who prayed to his Father and taught his disciples to do the same, convinced them that he was personally divine, and belief in his divinity and in the rightness of offering him worship and prayer is basic to New Testament faith (John 20:28-31; cf. 1:18; Acts 7:59; Rom. 9:5; 10:9-13; 2 Cor. 12:7-9; Phil. 2:5-6; Col. 1:15-17; 2:9; Heb. 1:1-12; 1 Pet. 3:15). Jesus promised to send another Paraclete (he himself having been the first one), and Paraclete signifies a many-sided personal ministry as counselor, advocate, helper, comforter, ally, supporter (John 14:16-17, 26; 15:26-27; 16:7-15). This other Paraclete, who came at Pentecost to fulfill this promised ministry, was the Holy Spirit, recognized from the start as a third divine person: to lie to him, said Peter not long after Pentecost, is to lie to God (Acts 5:3-4).

So Christ prescribed baptism “in the name (singular: one God, one name) of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit”—the three persons who are the one God to whom Christians commit themselves (Matt. 28:19). So we meet the three persons in the account of Jesus’ own baptism: the Father acknowledged the Son, and the Spirit showed his presence in the Son’s life and ministry (Mark 1:9-11). So we read the trinitarian blessing of 2 Corinthians 13:14, and the prayer for grace and peace from the Father, the Spirit, and Jesus Christ in Revelation 1:4-5 (would John have put the Spirit between the Father and the Son if he had not regarded the Spirit as divine in the same sense as they are?). These are some of the more striking examples of the trinitarian outlook and emphasis of the New Testament. Though the technical language of historic trinitarianism is not found there, trinitarian faith and thinking are present throughout its pages, and in that sense the Trinity must be acknowledged as a biblical doctrine: an eternal truth about God which, though never explicit in the Old Testament, is plain and clear in the New.

The basic assertion of this doctrine is that the unity of the one God is complex. The three personal “subsistences” (as they are called) are coequal and coeternal centers of self-awareness, each being “I” in relation to two who are “you” and each partaking of the full divine essence (the “stuff” of deity, if we may dare to call it that) along with the other two. They are not three roles played by one person (that is modalism), nor are they three gods in a cluster (that is tritheism); the one God (“he”) is also, and equally, “they,” and “they” are always together and always cooperating, with the Father initiating, the Son complying, and the Spirit executing the will of both, which is his will also. This is the truth about God that was revealed through the words and works of Jesus, and that undergirds the reality of salvation as the New Testament sets it forth.

The practical importance of the doctrine of the Trinity is that it requires us to pay equal attention, and give equal honor, to all three persons in the unity of their gracious ministry to us. That ministry is the subject matter of the gospel, which, as Jesus’ conversation with Nicodemus shows, cannot be stated without bringing in their distinct roles in God’s plan of grace (John 3:1-15; note especially vv. 3, 5-8, 13-15, and John’s expository comments, which NIV renders as part of the conversation itself, vv. 16-21). All non-Trinitarian formulations of the Christian message are by biblical standards inadequate and indeed fundamentally false, and will naturally tend to pull Christian lives out of shape.

(Concise Theology)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a time for war. The Bible called men of God to battle. WWII was battle against people's goal was to eliminate the Jews. If Godly men had not fought there would be no Jews today.
I gather you are a pacifist?
betty

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
God is a Trinity

http://www.letusreason.org/Onenes9.htm

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Hi Carol, Basically the whole trinity theory Is based on the last word God in John 1:1 being a capitol G. There have been a few translations that had a small g there. The Jewish people all throughout the ot knew nothing of a trinity God, they served a mono God. To this day. They knew God much better than people of today. He spoke to some back then, his prophets spoke for him back then, They never knew of God being anything but a mono God. He was a mono God then and he is a mono God now. A small g belongs at the end of John 1:1 meaning-- has godlike qualities. Wartime is the prime example of Gods true religion- Not one true christian would ever raise arms against his own brothers in Christ on the orders of men like what happened in the revolutionary war, the civil war, ww1, ww2. The worst part of all that is that the clergymen prayed on both sides for their brothers in Christ to die, while brothers in Christ killed one another. ( show me that Jesus in Gods written word.) it is just the opposite. Love, peace, unity is Gods true religion.
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our Lord’s baptism in water was a picture of His work of redemption (Matt. 20:22; Luke 12:50). It was through His baptism of suffering on the cross that God “fulfilled all righteousness.” (The “Us” in Matthew 3:15 does not mean John and Jesus. It means the Father, the Son, and the Spirit.)

When our Lord came up from the water, the Father spoke from heaven and identified Him as the beloved Son of God, and the Spirit visibly came upon Jesus in the form of a dove. Those who deny the Trinity have a difficult time explaining this event.

(Wiersbe)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 1(NKJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us , and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Hi Friend, Jesus tells all that the father is the only true God, men say that God is a trinity consisting of three beings as one. Did Jesus lie? Did Paul lie? Then according to Jesus words at rev 3:12 God has a God. The answer to all 3 is no. Gods word doesnt teach 2 truths. Psalm 83:18 is truth.
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto Betty Louise!
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a good example. Thank you Carol.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 10:23 - 30 (NLT)

23 He was in the Temple, walking through the section known as Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The people surrounded him and asked, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. 26 But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, 29 for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. 30 The Father and I are one.”

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Jhn 10:38
But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father [is] in me, and I in him.

Mat 16:16
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
The Father Revealed
7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him."
8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us."
9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.

Hbr 1:8
But unto the Son [he saith], Thy throne, O God, [is] for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness [is] the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Reconciled in Christ
19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

--------------------

kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

Hi Friend, At 1 cor 8:6 Paul says there is one God the Father, At John 17: 1-6 Jesus calls the Father- The only true God- At Rev 3:12 Jesus uses the term- My God- 4 times, stressing to all who can read that He has a God. God doesnt have a God. Listen to Jesus.
Eden
unregistered

hello, kjw47, you wrote
quote:
The apostle Paul taught this as truth, a major truth. 1 Corinthians 8:6- it confuses me why something else is being taught. Jesus backs him up at John 17: 1-6 and Revelation 3:12. There is but one truth.
I don't understand what you are referring to; can you elaborate? Thank you, Eden
kjw47
Advanced Member
Member # 7230

The apostle Paul taught this as truth, a major truth. 1 Corinthians 8:6- it confuses me why something else is being taught. Jesus backs him up at John 17: 1-6 and Revelation 3:12. There is but one truth.
Eden
unregistered

WooT!
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
Cornelius Stam wrote
quote:
But the new evangelicalism of our day is still more dangerous. It is big. It is well financed. It is popular. It is subtle. Perhaps its greatest danger lies in the fact that while claiming to be "conservative," it minimizes the importance of the fundamentals and the danger of apostatizing from them.
But that is true, but mass evangelization, however diluted, always has the potential for any one of them also actually "opening up that Bible and see what it in it". And that is very good in itself because the individual has a much better chance of actually being saved in a "mass evangelization" church of being saved than, say, at WalMart.

love, Eden

haha indeed!

I had my hair done a week ago by a BORN AGAIN Roman Catholic sister in Christ. Now that they [the RCC sheep] are allowed to read thier Bibles they are getting saved! WooT!

Genesis 50:20
And as for you, ye meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Cornelius Stam wrote
quote:
But the new evangelicalism of our day is still more dangerous. It is big. It is well financed. It is popular. It is subtle. Perhaps its greatest danger lies in the fact that while claiming to be "conservative," it minimizes the importance of the fundamentals and the danger of apostatizing from them.
But that is true, but mass evangelization, however diluted, always has the potential for any one of them also actually "opening up that Bible and see what it in it". And that is very good in itself because the individual has a much better chance of actually being saved in a "mass evangelization" church of being saved than, say, at WalMart.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post WildB [Bible]

Not everyone was working with Paul for the spreading of the Gospel. There were some who, for selfish reasons, were dividing the churches by teaching false doctrine. These people were probably the same Judaizers who had given Paul trouble in other churches (see Phil. 3:17-21). Instead of preaching the truth, these men spread their own religious propaganda, using deceit and clever speeches. We have the same problem today, and Christians must beware of false teachers. They come to your front door with magazines, books, and tapes, trying to convince you that they are teaching the truth. Paul gives two instructions: mark them (identify them), and avoid them.

It is a matter of obedience to the Lord and testimony to others. The issue is not making or keeping friends, but pleasing the Lord and maintaining a consistent testimony. Romans 16:20 suggests that these false teachers really come from Satan, and one day even he shall be completely defeated.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by Cornelius R. Stam

In strong language the Apostle bids Timothy to "charge some that they teach no other doctrine"; no other doctrine, obviously, than that which he had taught them. In 1 Tim. 6:3-5 he closes his epistle by saying:

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ... from such withdraw thyself."

In these passages the Apostle emphasizes the importance of fidelity to that heaven-sent message committed to him by revelation; that message which he says in Tit. 1:2,3 was "promised before the ages began" but made known "in due time... through preaching which is committed unto me..."

Ever since Paul's day religious leaders have substituted other messages for that committed by the glorified Lord to Paul. The law of Moses, the Sermon on the Mount, the "great commission," and Pentecost have all been confused with God's message and program for the dispensation of grace. This is what has bewildered and divided the Church and ripened it for the apostasy.

With all the confused thinking about the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount fifty years ago it was little wonder that modernism swept so many off their feet with its teachings about Jesus of Nazareth, the Man of Galilee, following his footsteps, social betterment, political reform, etc. Multitudes were so taken up with the social gospel, so eager to help make the world a better place to live in, that they did not even notice or believe that the modernists denied the very fundamentals of the Christian faith.

Thus the inspired words of the Apostle Paul: "Charge some that they teach no other doctrine," are more urgently needed in our day than they were in his.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement